Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #31
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
He was laughing. Actually we laughed quite a few times, both at the context of the show, and the speech cadence. He thought it was funny that I could describe the speech cadence before the show even started and I was spot on...and then....explain how a typical Sorkin show is delivered, and, again, I was spot on.

Luckily the context of the show is good, I just wish there was, you know, some actual emotion in the delivery.
I was being sarcastic (surprise!). You (or anyone) talking through the whole show would have bugged the crap out of me.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #32
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
I was being sarcastic (surprise!). You (or anyone) talking through the whole show would have bugged the crap out of me.
That's what the pause button is for
Old 06-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #33
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
I know you guys love Sorkin, but WHY must he write EVERY character to sound the same way? That's what bugs me, and I found myself going through half the episode overly aware of that. In fact, I was watching with my son, and I was predicting what the characters would say next and which line they would come back to 20 minutes later.
I haven't watched this show yet but I think that his characters don't sound exactly the same historically -- at least, not any more than Milch characters sound the same.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #34
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I haven't watched this show yet but I think that his characters don't sound exactly the same historically -- at least, not any more than Milch characters sound the same.
I watched both Sports Night and Studio 60 (was not a West Wing fan..but that's something I might go back and revisit. In the time before TiVo/DVR, I had conflicts when it was on), but I can tell you that to me, all the characters speak with the same cadence. short bursts of dialogue, with kind of a questioning response and then another character chimes in. It goes something like this.

Character 1: My dog crossed the street and went into the neighbor's yard
Character 2: You dog?
Character 1: Of course my dog
Character 3: You know he never keeps an eye on that dog
Character 1: I know, I never keep an eye on that dog.

15 minutes later in the episode:
Character 3 to Character 4: Character 1 went across the street
Character 4: He went across the street because he never keeps an eye on the dog
Character 2: I wonder why he never keeps an eye on the dog?
Character 1: have you seen my dog?

All with a monotone rapid staccato delivery with sarcastic overtones. Rarely more than one sentence per character at a time. And one they do speak more than one sentence, it's generally a big pontificating speech.

Fortunately his stories are really good
Old 06-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #35
DeDondeEs

I liked it. Better than anything else on right now. The one thing about those Sorkin shows I forgot about, given the amount of talking that you need to keep up with and the fast frenetic pace of the show, I can't watch it right before bed. Because it gets me all amped up.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #36
astrohip
Stuart F

http://www.hitfix.com/news/newsroom-...interpretation

"The Newsroom," HBO's drama about how people report and interpret the news, debuted on Sunday (June 25) with an audience that's very much open to interpretation.

In its first airing, the Aaron Sorkin created drama drew 2.1 million viewers. That's below the 2.2 million viewers who watched the first airing of "Game of Thrones" when it premiered in 2010, but above the premiere numbers for "True Blood" (1.4 million viewers in 2008) and "Luck" or "Treme" (1.1 million each). The numbers were far below the 4.8 million viewers who watched the premiere of "Boardwalk Empire" in 2010.

Every single one of those shows -- plus all of HBO's recent comedies which premiered to lower viewership -- were renewed for second seasons by HBO, so it's hard to imagine HBO not renewing "Newsroom."

Including its second Sunday airing, "Newroom" drew 2.7 million viewers in its first night.

Naysayers, though, will point out that "Newsroom," which drew decidedly mixed reviews, squandered more than half of its lead-in from "True Blood," which drew 4.7 million viewers in its 9 p.m. airing.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #37
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Do lead ins really matter that much on HBO, which re-airs its content several times in the week?
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #38
DougF

Sorkin fans may (or may not) enjoy this.

Sorkinisms - A Supercut
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #39
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Sorkin fan here, although I thought Studio 60 was kind of dumb.

I LOVED episode 1. Can't wait for more.

I keep thinking of Sports Nigh and West Wing cast members who could have played the various roles in this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #40
swizzlest
Furry Cat Feet!

Never watched anything Sorkin, but gave this one a shot.

Look, actual characters! There's potential for development here, so that intrigues me. I think it'll be interesting to see the dramatized retelling of news stories. It may be a cheap hook ("Hey! I remember when that happened!"), but with the right writing, it can be a really effective one.

-DaveBogart

- IndyJones1023
te amo, xbox. Gamertag = swizzlest
swizzlest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #41
mwhip
All better

Who wants to get political? Opening speech was excellent and spot on man I miss the America of my dad's youth where Presidents stood up and said we would put a man on the moon in 10 years. Now we shut space programs down and cut science and math. We sit around watch the world pass us. But hey we are #1 in one thing....self confidence.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #42
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post

Sorkinisms - A Supercut
I, for one, love it!

markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #43
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Funny. Having watched the Making Of it wasn't looking too good. My take was Sorkin went off the deep*end and made everybody an unattractive dipwad.

I also didn't like Sam Waterson always getting lines wrong.

The actual show was great. Sam did fine. The characters do have attractive aspects.

Olivia Munn? SHE is already on my nerves and we haven't seen her yet. Watch her try to get top billing.

The cast will find an ensemble groove, it'll get more and more great and then HBO will pull the plug.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #44
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Really enjoyed this first episode. I didn't expect to like this show, but I was definitely wrong.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #45
mattack

Haven't seen it, but it's available for free stream on Tivos..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #46
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Sam Waterston losing his temper when he is trying to cut off one of his employees who is ignoring him " DON, I AM A MARINE! I WILL BEAT THE shiat OUT OF YOU, I DON'T CARE HOW MANY PROTEIN BARS YOU EAT!" finishing with a look that says "Come At Me Bro!"
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #47
jschuur
TV-holic, improving

Sam Waterston's character might just be my favorite one of the show actually. Aside from Ellen of course

"Why do I have to watch a French movie?! I didn't do anything wrong!" - Phil Dunphy
jschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #48
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Loved the show! I loved the opening and can't wait until the next episode.
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #49
danielhart
Nerp Nerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Who wants to get political? Opening speech was excellent and spot on man I miss the America of my dad's youth where Presidents stood up and said we would put a man on the moon in 10 years. Now we shut space programs down and cut science and math. We sit around watch the world pass us. But hey we are #1 in one thing....self confidence.
That president was assassinated.....yeah, I miss the good old days....
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #50
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

One thing I don't get. If she was really in the audience at the beginning, holding up those signs, why did she keep disappearing every other time he looked up?

Did she keep ducking out of sight?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #51
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
One thing I don't get. If she was really in the audience at the beginning, holding up those signs, why did she keep disappearing every other time he looked up?

Did she keep ducking out of sight?
...and replaced herself with someone wearing similar clothes and who looked like her!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #52
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I believe we were seeing it from Will's POV. He wasn't sure it was her, so the images were vague.

I liked it enough to keep watching. I agree that it didn't grab me like Sports Night or West Wing, but it has potential.

Love the fact that Sorkin writes much more like people talk and dares to have people taking at the same time. Something that other writer will not do.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #53
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I believe we were seeing it from Will's POV. He wasn't sure it was her, so the images were vague.
Along those lines, it wasn't his mind playing tricks making him see her. His mind was playing tricks making him not see her half the time. Like "Surely that can't be her" so it became someone else.

markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #54
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post

I liked it enough to keep watching. I agree that it didn't grab me like Sports Night or West Wing, but it has potential.

Love the fact that Sorkin writes much more like people talk and dares to have people taking at the same time. Something that other writer will not do.
Really? I know NOBODY who talks with the cadence that is required by a Sorkin script/direction. Maybe it's a California thing or something.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #55
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

I loved it. Can't wait for the next one.

I've been re-watching Sports Night on NetFlix. Still sad that show was cancelled.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #56
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Really? I know NOBODY who talks with the cadence that is required by a Sorkin script/direction. Maybe it's a California thing or something.
Exactly. I'm not overly familiar with Sorkin's style enough to identify them as "Sorkinisms", but I was pretty annoyed by some of the dialogue. People talk over each other, but not EVERY TIME. People have fast exchanges and conversations, but not EVERY TIME. Also at one point, I told my wife, this is The Yelling Show. How often in real life do people not only give speeches, but the other party actually LISTEN to the whole thing?

An example of this is where the british woman (sorry I'm horrible with names) was in Jeff Daniels's office. He'd just yelled at her, and she was giving a passionate speech. Daniels sat and listened to the whole thing. I've had bosses like that, and he would have cut her off after the first sentence and moved along.

For the annoyances, I did enjoy it and will keep watching.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #57
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
An example of this is where the British woman (sorry I'm horrible with names) was in Jeff Daniels's office. He'd just yelled at her, and she was giving a passionate speech. Daniels sat and listened to the whole thing. I've had bosses like that, and he would have cut her off after the first sentence and moved along.
Greg...I believe they were trying to show that the characters have a history with one another. Yes, you might toss a coworker out of your office when she jumps up on the soapbox. But this is a woman with whom he had a personal and professional relationship. On some level he must value her opinion, but he was acting like a petulant child at that moment because of the circumstances that got them into that office together that day.

I look forward to seeing how these characters grow and how the dynamic changes as the series goes along.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #58
Dave_N

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtivouser View Post
Anyone else have trouble getting Tivo to record it last night? I had a season pass but it didn't record it. I happened to flip through the channels during one of the (many) re-runs last night.
I am also having trouble with a season pass. Missed the first show and couldn't find it with a search either. Had to record episode 1 and 2 manual from the guide.
Dave_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #59
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post

Sorkinisms - A Supercut
That is a nice piece of editing!

Also the funniest thing I've seen since I found the website about Harrison Ford's finger point.

The original I saw (from 2003 or earlier) appears not to be online anymore, but a Google search turns up plenty of others.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 06-28-2012 at 10:30 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #60
rondotcom

Quote:
I watched both Sports Night and Studio 60 (was not a West Wing fan..but that's something I might go back and revisit. In the time before TiVo/DVR, I had conflicts when it was on), but I can tell you that to me, all the characters speak with the same cadence. short bursts of dialogue, with kind of a questioning response and then another character chimes in. It goes something like this.

Character 2: You dog?
Character 1: Of course my dog
Character 3: You know he never keeps an eye on that dog

15 minutes later in the episode:
Character 3 to Character 4: Character 1 went across the street
Character 4: He went across the street because he never keeps an eye on the dog
Character 2: I wonder why he never keeps an eye on the dog?
Character 1: have you seen my dog?

All with a monotone rapid staccato delivery with sarcastic overtones. Rarely more than one sentence per character at a time. And one they do speak more than one sentence, it's generally a big pontificating speech.

Fortunately his stories are really good

You forgot a couple of things. The "obvious question" and the monosyllabic affirmative. Revised scene:

Character 2: Your dog?
Character 1: Of course my dog. I don't understand why my dog always does that.
Character 3: Is it because you never keep an eye on that dog?
Character 2: Yeah.
rondotcom is offline   Reply With Quote