TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
mr.unnatural

Ceton InfiniTV6 PCI-e version now available

In case anyone's interested, it's now posted on Amazon ($299) and Newegg ($294) and appears to be in stock with free shipping from both vendors.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...vglnk-c1247-20

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815706005
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
davezatz
Funkadelic

I wonder what that tells us about TiVo Roamio 6-tuner pricing, if anything? Hm.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
MeInDallas

Yes just got an email about it! Been dying to get one of these!
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Soapm

It says with the one PC you can run 6 TV's throughout the house. How do you get the video to the TV? Does it only work with smart TV's? How do you change the channel if you're not in the room with the PC? I assume via Ethernet but what does it take for this control to work.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
MeInDallas

You use the Ceton Echo. Kinda like a Tivo Mini.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815706003
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
Worf

It uses Windows Media Center and the WMC Extenders like Xbox360s and the Ceton Echo (the only two WMC Extenders that currently work with WMC - all the older ones are no-go).
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
It uses Windows Media Center and the WMC Extenders like Xbox360s and the Ceton Echo (the only two WMC Extenders that currently work with WMC - all the older ones are no-go).
Correction - they're the only ones that work with Windows 8 and WMC. Older extenders from Linksys, HP, and D-Link will still work with Windows 7 and WMC.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Correction - they're the only ones that work with Windows 8 and WMC. Older extenders from Linksys, HP, and D-Link will still work with Windows 7 and WMC.
Correction to the correction, I don't think the Ceton Echo works with Windows 8. The only one that does is the XBox 360.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Correction to the correction, I don't think the Ceton Echo works with Windows 8. The only one that does is the XBox 360.
Correct

From http://cetoncorp.com/products/echo/
Quote:
Windows 8 does not support non-Microsoft extenders, including the Ceton Echo.

socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
Thanks for confirming correctly my correction to the correction
Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I stand corrected. Last time I checked they were working on a solution to that problem. Apparently they haven't got it working yet.

FWIW, I was a beta tester for the Echo and it is a product that is not quite ready for prime time, IMHO. I sent mine back for a refund when the beta test ended. If you need to use an extender with Windows 8 then the X-Box 360 is your only current option.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
HarperVision

I think everyone who's purchased them so far is a "beta tester" I sent the ones I had back pretty quickly as well. Definitely NOT ready for primetime! I hear they're close to the big Android FW update though, so I will definitely be watching with peaked interest.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread......
Old 08-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
I have contemplated getting one of these Ceton tuners. I realize these other media extenders are probably no longer being made, but are these pretty much the ones from each:

HP X5400 (http://www.amazon.com/HP-X5400-Media.../dp/B00068IXRI

DSM-750 http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DSM-750...ywords=dsm-750

Linksys DMA2200 http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-...inksys+DMA2200

Are there any others out there? If so, what models? Just curious

Now, from what I can tell, it seems like the Xbox360 is STILL the best option (& probably why a lot of these are no longer being made), but was just wondering about all the other ones that might be out there (& can possibly get from ebay or Amazon marketplace).
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

The HP is actually the X280N, the model you linked is a V1 extender for XP MCE only.

It and the DMA2100/2200 are the only three recommended V2 extenders, but as you said the Xbox 360 is the best of all of them and more importantly for some, the only one that works with Win8 MC. Plus it can be the cheapest if you can find a used Slim with a broken DVD drive, I wouldn't bother with any of the older models.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I wouldn't bother with any of the older models.
Yea, this is what I pretty much figured & would most likely just go with an Xbox360 as stated since it would seem to serve several purposes over the others (media extender, DVD player, game machine & media streamer), but was just wondering.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
HarperVision

"buscuitboy"

"slowbiscuit"

Wow, for some reason I have a hankerin' for some good ole' biscuits 'n gravy this mornin'!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
mr.unnatural

If all you want an extender to do is have access to recordings or live TV then any of the older models will work fine for Windows 7 or older. The main advantage of newer extenders is that they may be able to play more types of video formats.

If your provider likes to flag your content then an extender may be your best bet for sharing TV with other rooms. Otherwise, I personally prefer individual PCs for each room as they are far more versatile than any extender, past or present.

If you like to play movies streamed from a server or other PC, then an X-Box or Echo may work, but there's no guarantee. I've found that a media player, like the WDTV Live or a Roku, supplements an extender quite nicely without breaking the bank or taking up a lot of space. The extender is used for live or recorded TV and the media player is used for everything else. Then again, I prefer a multiple PC option, mainly because I'm on FIOS and don't have to deal with flagged content.

I've tried every model extender except for the D-Link and frankly I don't care for any of them. The UI is laggy and sometimes unresponsive, regardless of the make or model. The PC solution is the best I've found to date, but sadly it won't work for everyone due to DRM issues.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
If you like to play movies streamed from a server or other PC, then an X-Box or Echo may work, but there's no guarantee. I've found that a media player, like the WDTV Live or a Roku, supplements an extender quite nicely without breaking the bank or taking up a lot of space. The extender is used for live or recorded TV and the media player is used for everything else. Then again, I prefer a multiple PC option, mainly because I'm on FIOS and don't have to deal with flagged content.
Yea, I actually have a few media players; WDTV and Seagate models. They work excellent for streaming media from a networked PC. I am also actually in the process of possibly getting an Xbox360 anyway so this would most likely be my choice as an extender if I ever go the route of a Ceton tuner product.

I still like my TiVos (S3 & S4s) so probably stay with them for a bit here anyway. I am with Comcast so my regular channels are not flagged for protection and I can easily transfer shows between TiVos. I briefly had HBO & Showtime and while they protected these from being transferred (still could stream them between two Premieres), I no longer subscribe to either so its no longer an issue.

If this "flagging" across all channels becomes an issue with Comcast, then that will be the day I take a serious look at the Ceton/Xbox360 option (or maybe even the TiVo mini route).