TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
jcostello_

OTA channel asking for cable card???

I get roughly 12 OTA channels with the Tivo and all has been great for the last six months. Within the last month our PBS channels (9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4) still work but have a banner that pops up stating I might need a cable card to view the channel. When I go to the guide the small channel preview window shows the channel perfectly without the banner. As soon as I remove the guide the banner comes back when the image is full screen. This only happens on these channels...any ideas on how to correct? No settings have been fiddled with in the last month that I'm aware of.

Jason
jcostello_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcostello_ View Post
I get roughly 12 OTA channels with the Tivo and all has been great for the last six months. Within the last month our PBS channels (9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4) still work but have a banner that pops up stating I might need a cable card to view the channel. When I go to the guide the small channel preview window shows the channel perfectly without the banner. As soon as I remove the guide the banner comes back when the image is full screen. This only happens on these channels...any ideas on how to correct? No settings have been fiddled with in the last month that I'm aware of.

Jason
What model TiVo?

Do you have it hooked to both antenna and cable?

If so, which cable company?

Where are you geographically?

What's the call sign of your PBS affiliate?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
jcostello_

What model TiVo? Premier.

Do you have it hooked to both antenna and cable? No cable. Ota only.

Where are you geographically? Central Texas. San Antonio area

What's the call sign of your PBS affiliate? Klrn.
jcostello_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcostello_ View Post
What model TiVo? Premier.

Do you have it hooked to both antenna and cable? No cable. Ota only.

Where are you geographically? Central Texas. San Antonio area

What's the call sign of your PBS affiliate? Klrn.
I'd think that if the source of the "you might need a cable card" message is the TiVo, that it would be triggered by not enough signal strength, but your problem seems to have started about the same time that KLRN doubled transmitter power.

Of course the TiVo should know that you aren't using cable. Unless you used to and never re-ran setup or channel scan when you pulled the plug.

Although sometimes it'll display an incorrect error message because that one is the closest it has to cover the situation, so maybe that's all it has to cover reception difficulty

Perhaps you need to reset or rescan channels or maybe even re-do guided setup to make sure it knows you are OTA only.

Sorry I can't come up with anything better.

Any chance that upped power from KLRN is causing multipath you didn't get previously?

Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
henderpa

I started experiencing the same problem in the last few weeks (after the last software update?) on my Premiere.

I'm using OTA only and receive 4 PBS channels (16-1, 16-2, 16-3, and 16-4) from the ThinkTVNetwork here in Dayton, Ohio. Channels 1 and 2 still work as normal but 3 and 4 both come up with the "This channel requires a cablecard" message. Of course, channel 3 is the one with the majority of the shows I watch so this is very irritating.

I'm kind of happy to see that someone else in a different area has this problem as that implies it's not just an issue on my end. Hopefully the new software version that's rolling out now will fix the problem but I'm not holding my breath...
henderpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
rwrountree
pld77581

Cable Card Message on PBS Channel

I have experienced the same problem of getting "cable card needed" message on Houston, TX PBS channel KUHT with anntenna selected (e.g. no cable). I have observed removing power and performing reset seems to fix it temporarily. Also I have observed that if the message appears while the program is being recorded that the message doesn't appear on the recorded version of the program. Further, this message doesn't appear except on some particular program varieties (like travel type programs). The next program doesn't seem to have the message.
rwrountree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
lpwcomp

This might be worth reporting in The 20.2 changelog thread

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
unitron

It sounds like the PBS affiliate stations haven't gotten the word out to Tribune and TiVo about all of the channels they put on the air, but somehow the cable companies in their area do know about them, are picking them up and putting them on the cable, and the TiVo guide data can only find them as cable digital channels and not as OTA digital channels.

Contact the PBS station and tell them about this and get them to push the info.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It sounds like the PBS affiliate stations haven't gotten the word out to Tribune and TiVo about all of the channels they put on the air, but somehow the cable companies in their area do know about them, are picking them up and putting them on the cable, and the TiVo guide data can only find them as cable digital channels and not as OTA digital channels.

Contact the PBS station and tell them about this and get them to push the info.
I think it far more likely that this is a bug. If the TiVo is configured for OTA only, it should never ask for a CableCARD.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I think it far more likely that this is a bug. If the TiVo is configured for OTA only, it should never ask for a CableCARD.
A PBS affiliate only restricted bug? Despite them being on different channels in different markets?

I'm thinking these guys are asking for OTA channel X.whatever, the TiVo's seeing that it has, in it's guide data,perhaps some X.somethings, but not the specific X.whatever, so it assumes it's a cable only channel and that's what triggers the "you need a cable card" error message.

Sometimes TiVo error messages aren't exactly correct but are the one, out of the ones available, that most closely fits the situation.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
A PBS affiliate only restricted bug? Despite them being on different channels in different markets?

I'm thinking these guys are asking for OTA channel X.whatever, the TiVo's seeing that it has, in it's guide data,perhaps some X.somethings, but not the specific X.whatever, so it assumes it's a cable only channel and that's what triggers the "you need a cable card" error message.
And by my lights, that is a bug.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
rwrountree
pld77581

Guide is Greyed Out on PBS Channel with Cable Card Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwrountree View Post
I have experienced the same problem of getting "cable card needed" message on Houston, TX PBS channel KUHT with anntenna selected (e.g. no cable). I have observed removing power and performing reset seems to fix it temporarily. Also I have observed that if the message appears while the program is being recorded that the message doesn't appear on the recorded version of the program. Further, this message doesn't appear except on some particular program varieties (like travel type programs). The next program doesn't seem to have the message.
Problem has re-surfaced of Ti-Vo dsiplaying a Cable Card message on PBS channel that is received via antenna. The new anomaly is that the PBS channel is "greyed out" on the guide menu. The program information is visible underneath the grey, but it will not allow you to select any of the "greyed out" programs for selection as a program to be recorded or program selection requiring a channel change. Rebooting the Ti-Vo box and re-scanning all channels does not fix problem. However, the problem is intermittent and has gone away after about eight hours. Problem only seems to be on PBS channel.
rwrountree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
wolskinj

Cable Card Error with OTA Only

I'm seeing the same problem in Cincinnati with my CBS station as well as some of the multi channel PBS stations. It started a few weeks ago and a rescan did not resolve the problem.
wolskinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolskinj View Post
I'm seeing the same problem in Cincinnati with my CBS station as well as some of the multi channel PBS stations. It started a few weeks ago and a rescan did not resolve the problem.
I have this problem on my Premiere every now and then. I have it right now for several channels that will not come in at all (the channels work fine on my Series 3 units) and they show the cable card message.

In general I have found the Premiere has OTA reception issues (I assume multi-path) that other OTA tuners including my older Series 3 units do not. Which really sucks - wish TiVo would get their sh** together and fix this. Maybe if enough people complain (I have) TiVo will fix the issue.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote