TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Bradleyc

Arrow Time Warner Cable - Tuning Adpater Cable card - Showing random channels

I am having a very odd issue. TWC accidentally shut off my cable on friday. I was out of town. It was reactivated on Tuesday. when it was reactivate none of the HD SDV channels were working correctly, and MPEG 2 HD channels which work without the tuning adapter were showing random SD channels when the tuning adapter is hooked up.

TWC ALBANY CHANNEL LINEUP
EX: 1805 (TBS HD) shows Channel 13 (NBC SD). It does this on every channel above 1800. All the normal sd channels work on there correct channel numbers. The tuning adapter is a Cisco, and it shows the it has a solid light. The cable card is installed correctly.

I call time warner they think its the tuning adapter, I go exchange it for a different one, get home, hook it up, STILL the same issue. HD channels showing random SD channels. The weird part is if I take the thing adapter out of the setup these non SDV hd channels work without any issues.

EX: Tivo + ONLY CABLE CARD
1805 TBS HD show TBS HD correctly in MPEG-2

Ex: Tivo + Cable Card + Tuning Adapter = Channels not mapping correctly at all. TBS HD (1805) showing Channel 13 in SD.

So time warner came to my house today and replaced the cable card. Still the same issue. They have no idea whats wrong. They said its the Tivo, We've repeated the guide setup about 8 times, replaced the tuning adapter and cable card, and have rebooted the tiro multiple times.

I feel like we've done everything we can do. Please if anyone can help!

HARDWARE:
Tivo Premiere
Cable Card
Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter
Bradleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Bradleyc

UPDATE 05/31 - Lead technician and same tech came to my house again, replaced tuning adapter STILL does the same thing.

Has this ever happened to anyone. When I goto test channels on the cable card it says no channels available.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
Bradleyc

For anyone who cares:

06/01/2012 - UPDATE:
After several calls between Time Warner Cable card helpline, and Tivo help line it seems the Tivo's Channel Mapping Data that was stored on the tivo became corrupted. I did a complete erase and clear everything on the tivo premiere. Took about 2 hours total of time. I then contacting time warner to re-pair my cable card with my tiro. And guess what it WORKS!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
FeliciaCorrine

Thanks that was very useful........you really got to the root of the problem.
FeliciaCorrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
shenanigans

Thank You!

This exact situation recently happened to me (Dallas, TX) and after hours of wait time, numerous arguments, 3 technicians and many discounts given to me by Time Warner Cable, I was just about to list my Tivo on ebay (sad choice but TWC was giving me almost $70 off a month because of all the trouble they've caused me, so I have to stick with them.) But something told me to do a bit more research before throwing in the towel. I am at work now and will try this solution later tonight.

Little background details: I moved from Rhode Island to Texas so my Tivo was configured for the RI Verizon Channel Listing. TWC got it to work, and then I realized I forgot to do the guided set up to clear the Verizon channel line up. Once I did that, all hell broke loose. At first nothing was working, then only basic channels were working, and now the whole mismatch of channels is happening.
shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I've been reading these forums for many years now, paying particular attention to TWC Tuning Adapter issues. This case strikes me as very unusual, i.e., having to Clear and Delete, rather than just rebooting the TiVo and Tuning Adapter several times. I strongly suspect TWC made a mistake provisioning your account and then finally corrected it, and this was coincidental with your Clear and Delete, which really wasn't necessary.

As usual the fact you're using customer-supplied equipment gives them the easy out of blaming it on that rather than admitting it could be their problem. Glad you got it fixed anyway.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
shenanigans

Fixed!

Cleared and deleted everything off of my Tivo (Through Settings > Clear & Delete), went through the guided set up plugged in the cable card and the tuning adapter, and IT WORKED! Didn't have to call Time Warner Cable to re-pair the cable card (it was probably already paired up from the 10 times I called them before)

Note - The paper guide that the technician gave me is out of date. A lot of the channels had a symbol next to it saying Not available with cable card. But when you set up the tuning adapter you get all the channels (besides on demand access)

And to the guy who said they probably went over my account and fixed things, it's possible. But after some technical research, I can see how it was the Tivo that was the issue.
shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenanigans View Post
........And to the guy who said they probably went over my account and fixed things, it's possible. But after some technical research, I can see how it was the Tivo that was the issue.
Hmmm.... I would be interested in some details of what your research found.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote