TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
TVisitor

TCD652160 Reboot & Lockup

Hi all,

I've got 4 Series 3 HD Tivo's and one Premiere. All have expanded drives. However, one of the Series 3's seems to suffer reboots and lockups.

When it first happened, it was about a year into the Tivo's life. No odd noises from the drive. I'd reboot and it work for a "little while" (a day or so) and then I'd come home, found it rebooted and was stuck on the startup screen. Eventually it started happening every 15 minutes, and I replaced the drive. No issues. I've replaced the drive twice, and it's about every 4-6 months I'm doing this.

Yesterday, I came home and found it dead. It would boot up, I'd see the "starting up!" screen and when I'd come back in 15 minutes, it was at a grey screen. I couldn't get it back running, so I left it unplugged. I plugged it into today and it came up - and stood up for maybe 2 hours.

There doesn't seem to be a heat issue; I have a SDV adapter on top of it, but it's elevated off of it so there is clearance (a good 3 inches). There is an AC in the room, so the room is relatively cool. The Tivo itself is also on a UPS.

I haven't looked @ the power supply, but I'd just been reading a bit - could it be the PS going bad? I'm wondering why replacing the drive seems to make it work, though.

Last edited by TVisitor : 06-21-2012 at 10:05 PM.
TVisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
TVisitor

Just some more info:

The drive is a WD10EURS that I had replaced it with last.

The caps look to be OK on a visual inspection. No bulges or leaks. The (physically) largest cap near the Xfrmr is made by "CapXon" and the others are made by "Taicon".
Old 06-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
poppagene
User

When you upgraded the drive did you use the western digital idle program to disable the intellipark on the drive?
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVisitor View Post
Hi all,

I've got 4 Series 3 HD Tivo's and one Premiere. All have expanded drives. However, one of the Series 3's seems to suffer reboots and lockups.

When it first happened, it was about a year into the Tivo's life. No odd noises from the drive. I'd reboot and it work for a "little while" (a day or so) and then I'd come home, found it rebooted and was stuck on the startup screen. Eventually it started happening every 15 minutes, and I replaced the drive. No issues. I've replaced the drive twice, and it's about every 4-6 months I'm doing this.

Yesterday, I came home and found it dead. It would boot up, I'd see the "starting up!" screen and when I'd come back in 15 minutes, it was at a grey screen. I couldn't get it back running, so I left it unplugged. I plugged it into today and it came up - and stood up for maybe 2 hours.

There doesn't seem to be a heat issue; I have a SDV adapter on top of it, but it's elevated off of it so there is clearance (a good 3 inches). There is an AC in the room, so the room is relatively cool. The Tivo itself is also on a UPS.

I haven't looked @ the power supply, but I'd just been reading a bit - could it be the PS going bad? I'm wondering why replacing the drive seems to make it work, though.
What are you doing with the drives you're deciding are bad and taking out?

Running the manufacturer's diagnostic long test?

If I told you to replace the capacitors that are across the +5V output and ground and the ones that are across the +12V output and ground, would you understand what I meant?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
TVisitor

Hi guys,

poppagene - Yep, I ran wdidle3 before I'd put a drive in and make sure the timer was disabled.

unitron - I did not. I thought about that after the fact, I probably should. After I replaced the drive and things seemed to work, I ended up tossing the old one. (Yes - *cringe*...!) I've got no issues replacing the caps - I've done some circuit board work in my hobbies (working on pinball machines in which I've done board repair) so replacing the caps would be pretty easy, I'd just need to order them. I could search or trace it down, but since we're talking about it, can you give tell me the component #'s on the PS board as to which caps they are?

BTW - I just took the PS out of one of the Tivo's that not used as often (but it's been powered/hooked up, it sits in a bedroom that's not used much) and put it in this one as a test to see if it could be the PS. Unfortunately I have to run out for a bit now, so I'll hook it up to the TV and such when I get home and see if things work.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVisitor View Post
Hi guys,

poppagene - Yep, I ran wdidle3 before I'd put a drive in and make sure the timer was disabled.

unitron - I did not. I thought about that after the fact, I probably should. After I replaced the drive and things seemed to work, I ended up tossing the old one. (Yes - *cringe*...!) I've got no issues replacing the caps - I've done some circuit board work in my hobbies (working on pinball machines in which I've done board repair) so replacing the caps would be pretty easy, I'd just need to order them. I could search or trace it down, but since we're talking about it, can you give tell me the component #'s on the PS board as to which caps they are?

BTW - I just took the PS out of one of the Tivo's that not used as often (but it's been powered/hooked up, it sits in a bedroom that's not used much) and put it in this one as a test to see if it could be the PS. Unfortunately I have to run out for a bit now, so I'll hook it up to the TV and such when I get home and see if things work.

Did you visually inspect the power supply on the Tivo experiencing problems as well as on the power supply you substituted in? There's a good picture here on what to look for.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=479176

There are a good number of threads on the problem, you might start here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
TVisitor

They both looked very similar, and like I said in my 2nd post - I saw no bulges or leaks when I looked at the supply. When I looked at the one I took from the good unit, they look identical.

I'm hesitant to think that this is the issue, but caps can go bad without being obvious. I had been hesitant though to think it was a supply issue - I mean, why would the system be running fine for months, and then all the sudden act up - and replacing the drive fixes it? I can understand if I got one bad replacement drive. But having replaced the drive twice already, am I really just this unlucky?

Note: I plugged it back in about 15 minutes ago and just checked it. It's up and it is sitting there now "acquiring channel information". I'll check back on it in a while.

Edit - that was 12:45PM to 11:15PM now.. that's kind of encouraging.

Edit again: I found an older thread from you, unitron, +12 Yellow +5 red, I'll just follow those. Perhaps I should shotgun it while I'm there, though, if this works.

Last edited by TVisitor : 06-22-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
TVisitor

Still running. I am going to order the PS components on Monday.

Thanks guys. Glad I came here to look around and see that this is a problem.