TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
MatrixOutsider

Tivo-HD TCD652160 Blinking Green Light

The fan and hard drive spin up and the Ethernet lights turn on. However, the tivo does post and it shows no video. Is the power supply shot and/or the motherboard?

Thanks
MatrixOutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
timhbtr53

Have you tried composite cables and not HDMI? The hdmi ports seem to go bad for no reason on the HD. Don't give up just yet. EDIT....A blinking green light on a S3 in most cases it's needs a reboot for a update. You might go with composite cables then do a reboot.

Last edited by timhbtr53 : 09-22-2014 at 07:28 PM.
timhbtr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
gkottner

Arrow

I have the same issue on my TivoHD. It started when I upgraded the hard drive. What worked for me is just keeping it plugged in for a few hours. After that I rebooted and it came up fine. It's been running for over 6 weeks now without issue. I'm not ruling out power supply issues, since my old eyes couldn't really tell if they were bulged or not. I use this as a backup unit so I'm less concerned about the problem.
gkottner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
lyee

I recently had the same problem and found a previous thread where heating up the memory chips towards the back of the unit with a hair dryer allowed the THD to boot up and run normally. I tried this and was surprised that it worked. It's been running for a few days now. However, if it is put into standby mode, it won't wake up again but a quick power cycle solved that.
The root cause points to the memory chips. They either have to be replaced or perhaps the solder joints have to be reflowed at best.
lyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
mharbold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkottner View Post
I have the same issue on my TivoHD. It started when I upgraded the hard drive. What worked for me is just keeping it plugged in for a few hours. After that I rebooted and it came up fine. It's been running for over 6 weeks now without issue. I'm not ruling out power supply issues, since my old eyes couldn't really tell if they were bulged or not. I use this as a backup unit so I'm less concerned about the problem.
When you say you rebooted, what exactly do you mean? My TiVo HD got the fast blinking green light after unplugging the power cord and waiting 30 seconds to plug it back in on advice from a Comcast tech because I wasn't getting a signal on live TV. Now, the light keeps blinking and nothing comes up on the screen. I've tried unplugging and plugging the power cord many times, but nothing. Is that what you mean by "reboot"? I seem to remember around 8 months ago this happening and I did something to fix it, but can't remember what. Any advice would be appreciated.
mharbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #6
mharbold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyee View Post
I recently had the same problem and found a previous thread where heating up the memory chips towards the back of the unit with a hair dryer allowed the THD to boot up and run normally. I tried this and was surprised that it worked. It's been running for a few days now. However, if it is put into standby mode, it won't wake up again but a quick power cycle solved that.
The root cause points to the memory chips. They either have to be replaced or perhaps the solder joints have to be reflowed at best.
Could you give more details? Where is the memory chip and how long did you hear it up? Was the TiVo powered on while you did this? Thanks!
mharbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
gkottner

Good timing on this. We had a power outage last week and I got the continually flashing blinking light again. My plug it in and wait for a few hours didn't fix the issue this time. I unplugged the tivo from the wall,took off the cover, and took it to the bathroom since we don't have any standalone hair dryers. The 4 RAM chips are almost next to the hard drive. They're maybe 1/2 inch by an inch. I wish I would have taken a picture. I turned the hair dryer on high and kept it about 6 inches from the chips. I just went back and forth across all the chips for about 30 seconds. Took the tivo back to the living room, put the cover back on and plugged it back in. Came right back up and has been running for over 2 days now. Everything appears to be working as expected. Hope that helps.

Here's a link to a picture. They are almost centered on the motherboard near the bottom of the hard drive.

http://www.angusj.com/tivo/

Last edited by gkottner : 12-01-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Adding a link
gkottner is offline   Reply With Quote