TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
rcdavis

How Wire 3 Hdmi (tivo, Cable, & Roku) With Two Hdmi Tv Inputs? Need All Three

We have been using Tivo-3 with Cox cable just fine with a two HDMI input TV. Now that we have added Roku, it's seems like we can't get all three to work, only two.

Roku and Tivo are both wireless. The obvious solution would seem to be to use an HDMI adapter (I used the Kinivio) to both input the two HDMI (Tivo & Roku) that go into the back of one of the HDMI inputs on the TV, but that doesn't work. Is there some adapter that does work that way?

I have read one suggestion that one can go from wireless to ethernet and use a switch. Has anyone done that successfully? in our house, that would be a long run of unsightly wiring.

I would appreciate the suggestions of anyone that has been successful in doing this.

rcdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
ej42137

This switch Sabrent High Definition 5x1 HDMI switch works for me. I think they have a cheaper one with fewer ports that would work for your case, although it's not clear to me exactly what your problem is. I can't imagine why you'd complicate the HDMI connection by bringing up wireless, which is usually associated with another, unrelated connection to the TiVo. Are you transporting the HDMI signal over wireless somehow?

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
rcdavis

Solved!

I think the problem was with the first switch box, because it was designed to just plug everything in and let it work things out for you. I think the problem with that kind of switch is that the Tivo is always working in the background, and not allowing the switching to other HDMI, as Tivo was always the active signal that caused the switch to stay on Tivo.

I returned my first switch box for one that has a specific In and Out, and that has a remote control to switch from HDMI One for Tivo, and HDMI 2 for Roku.

I just got the Kinivo 501BN Premium 5 port High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote," which looks pretty much the same as the switch that you used. Having a specific In and Out and HDMI selection is what seems to be important. The remote lets us bypass the always active Tivo signal, on the always active Tivo HDMI One, to get to the Roku HDMI Two. YES!

I hope this post saves anyone else the hassle that we went through.

I think we may be able to cut the expensive cable bills with this setup.

Thanks!

Last edited by rcdavis; 11-23-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: clarify switch
rcdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
eelton

I've used this switch, selling on Amazon for all of $5.15. It works great.

eelton is offline   Reply With Quote