TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
stevengraff

Question Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 Transfer Speed

During the installation of Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 I'm asked whether I'd like to use the fastest possible speed when transferring programs from the Tivo to my computer. Of course, I said 'yes.'

(Why wouldn't I? Only if I were using an older Tivo box, apparently.)

Has anyone noticed substantial improvement of transfer speed with 2.8.2?

I'm transferring a 3-hr. hockey game program, HD, 15 GB, from my Tivo HD box... time estimate is 3.25 hours!
stevengraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I think that setting is for the Tivo Premiere.
With the Premiere, you have a choice to transfer programs in TS (transport stream) or PS (program stream) format.
With the series 3 model Tivos, you only have the option for PS format.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevengraff View Post
During the installation of Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 I'm asked whether I'd like to use the fastest possible speed when transferring programs from the Tivo to my computer. Of course, I said 'yes.'

(Why wouldn't I? Only if I were using an older Tivo box, apparently.)

Has anyone noticed substantial improvement of transfer speed with 2.8.2?

I'm transferring a 3-hr. hockey game program, HD, 15 GB, from my Tivo HD box... time estimate is 3.25 hours!
I just went through that and I seem to remember that it meant I wouldn't be able to transfer programs back from my computer to my S2s 'cause they weren't new enough models.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
stevengraff

That's it... it's no good for S2's and prior.

But for all of you with post-S2 Tivos... is it any faster?
stevengraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
firesignth

So ~15G in 3.25 hours is roughly 10.5 Mbps (15 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 * 8) / ( (3*60 + 25) * 60) - what media are you using to do the transfer? I've not been happy with my HD transfer times (just enabled a clear 300Mbps 5Ghz band N wireless link to my entertainment center) and I'm still getting around 10.5 Mbps transfer rates (a little better than you are getting, but no where near channel capacity) using TiVo Desktop. Is another transfer solution going to give me better times? Obviously some of the overhead isn't raw communication capacity.

Has anything changed in the last few months about this topic in the last half year?

I've also noticed that streaming (with streambaby) needs to convert down to 720p to actually stream without buffering.

Last edited by firesignth : 06-24-2012 at 12:41 PM.
firesignth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Somewhere in these forums, there's a chart that compares the transfer rates between the S3 OLED, TivoHD, and Premiere.

For the TivoHD, I think 3.25 hours to transfer a 3 hour HD program is about average (what I get with my TivoHDs). Series 3 OLED should be slightly faster, while a Premiere should be noticably faster.

Just set your transfers to happen overnight. Water always takes longer to boil when your watching it.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #7
unitron

After working with TD for a while now, set to use the old S2 compatible transfer method, with 4 S2s and 1 S3 HD, some on the same sub-router as one computer running TD and other on a different sub-router along with another computer running TD, I've found that some days transfers (which are really copies) are quite zippy and other days it's slower than sneakernet, and I can't figure out why because it's the same computers and the same routers and it's all fixed IP so if there's a variable other than the date and the weather I'm at a loss to figure out what it is.

But at least it works.

That's going TiVo to computer.

Copying a show back of the computer to whichever TiVo I want to watch seems to go more quickly and consistently so, but the ability to start watching before it's finished may color my perception.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
firesignth

OK, so the "native" transfer to TiVo Desktop is what I consider to be slow. The other issue that I have is that network connectivity isn't long lived enough to say transfer all of _Breaking Bad_ from AMCHD to my computer as I finally catch up to the show (the last season is starting soon).

What about using other software for the transfer? Are there other alternatives? Is the bottleneck on the TiVo or the desktop?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The bottleneck is the TiVo. But if you lose connectivity, that's the network.

There is alternative software, but if your goal is to speed up transfers, you'll be disappointed.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
mattack

Unless you're transcoding AT THE SAME TIME you are transferring, no software will make it any faster.

Supposedly, the Premieres CAN transfer a lot faster, even in the exact same way the previous Tivos can.. But ALSO, they can transfer even in a slightly different MPEG format, that is EVEN FASTER still.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #11
TooMuchTime

Quote:
Copying a show back of the computer to whichever TiVo I want to watch seems to go more quickly and consistently so, but the ability to start watching before it's finished may color my perception.
I have solved this problem by connecting the computer that I store my TiVo content on to my big screen TV. This way, I don't have to copy it back to the TiVo. I just switch to the computer, launch the program, and watch it from the computer. And it's on the big screen TV!
TooMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchTime View Post
I have solved this problem by connecting the computer that I store my TiVo content on to my big screen TV. This way, I don't have to copy it back to the TiVo. I just switch to the computer, launch the program, and watch it from the computer. And it's on the big screen TV!
Does that involve having the computer's desktop visible on the TV screen when a video isn't playing, or do you have some bit of hardware that leaves the desktop resolution alone and plays the video straight out through some kind of video output jack?

Old 06-28-2012, 01:45 AM   #13
firesignth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The bottleneck is the TiVo. But if you lose connectivity, that's the network.

There is alternative software, but if your goal is to speed up transfers, you'll be disappointed.
Thanks for the information. Now I can stop scratching my head about it. It just seems like a lot of overhead for what should essentially be a file transfer. I have used streambaby to play video, and that doesn't seem that fast either (a 1080p movie couldn't play without stutter, but the computer was otherwise busy and it wasn't on my clear network...), but who's complaining

What options are available for moving the video from the TiVo to something else (other than the desktop app)?
Charlie
Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Unless you're transcoding AT THE SAME TIME you are transferring, no software will make it any faster.

Supposedly, the Premieres CAN transfer a lot faster, even in the exact same way the previous Tivos can.. But ALSO, they can transfer even in a slightly different MPEG format, that is EVEN FASTER still.
Yes, my Premieres transfer to TiVo desktop between 60mb/s and 75 mb/s. With the Elites being on the lower end and the two tuner Premieres being on the upper end.

But even when I had my TiVoHD boxes I don't recall the transfer being slower than realtime. It was typically as fast as realtime or a little faster.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote