TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Swisher

Control Samsung Soundbar?

Just bought a Samsung Soundbar (HW-E450) and have gone through all the procedures to set up volume control on the TiVo remote, but nothing works. Anyone else have an idea? I've got a GloRemote and tried the learning feature, but no go. Have gone through all codes, both for receivers and TV.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
cannonz

Try code 0305
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Swisher

Tried that one and all the others TiVo suggests. No go.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
maddigital

I just setup my TiVo remote to control my Samsung c450 sound bar. My c450 used the codes for Samsung TV and not Samsung receiver. For Me the first TV code worked.

Mad

Oops just reread your op and realized you tried all TV codes... sorry... hopefully Samsung didn't change the the model too much from previous years.

Last edited by maddigital : 03-24-2012 at 07:04 AM.
maddigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Swisher

Thanks for that info. Good to hear that it works for at least some models. I've read about others here with similar problems and they solved it like you did, by using the TV code rather than the receiver code. I guess I'll have to live with two remotes. Bummer!
Swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Swisher

By passing the HDMI through the soundbar to the TV I'm able to use Anynet. That gives me power and volume control functions, but adds a cable. I can live with that.

** Edit **

Nooooo! Anynet doesn't turn the soundbar on when the TV is turned on! Why????

Last edited by Swisher : 03-24-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Edmund
Remote Czar

If you have learning remote, like GLO tivo remote, reset the remote, using brand new batteries in both remotes, try reteaching.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Swisher

Thanks, I have tried that. What does it mean when the light at the top of the remote blinks once after pushing the volume control? In other words, when I push volume up, the light blinks, then when I let go, it blinks again. None of the other buttons do this. I thought that was indicating low battery, but it only does this with volume and none of the others...
Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
msjenbowen

Re:

Swisher,

Any updates on your situation? I just bought a Samsung TV and the HW-E450 yesterday and have the exact same problem. If I connect with optical cable, my Tivo remote doesn't control the volume because Anynet+ is only available with HDMI. If I use HDMI, everything works perfectly, except I have to use the sound bar remote to turn on and set to HDMI input each time. Hope there is a solution!

Jen
msjenbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
dualtronic

Samsung sound bar

Anynet works with everything except turning-on the sound bar. The best solution I've found is to program the Tivo remote to control power on BOTH the TV and the sound bar.

From Tivo:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278

Learning remotes can control power for up to three different devices.
dualtronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
HerMamma

I also did what dualtronic did. Works great, but I end up with 3 remotes, the slide for my HD (and turning on the TV/Soundbar), a normal peanut to control the Series II (and remote wars with my daughter on the HD), and the TV remote for all the fancy TV stuff. :/ PITA.
HerMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
drbroom

Samsung = NO Help

The best (opps I mean worst) part of all this is Samsung tech support; their techs are the biggest BDUs ever! If I'd known how bad they were before, I wouldn't have purchased a Samsung TV. Recommendation: DO NOT to purchase anything from Samsung unless they improve their tech support help. Hire better and then train them!!

That (RANT) said...

If I understand you correctly dualtronic, we need to use the HDMI connections for the e450, set the AnyNet 'on' and then train the remotes with the link you proveded.

Am I correct? and thanks!

db
drbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #13
ross.mcmillan

Hey - I need some help using my TiVo glo remote to control power & volume on my Samsung hw-e450 sound bar. TiVo is connected to soundbar using only hdmi. I've tried every Samsung code listed, manually scanned, and taught the codes to the tivo glo remote using the soundbar remote. Nothing works! The glo remote seems to learn the codes correctly but they just dont work on the soundbar. Anyone have any ideas?
ross.mcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
Steve-O

Any new info on this? The Samsung E450 soundbar is in next month's Costco coupon book and I'm thinking about buying it...if it will work with my TiVo Glo remote.
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
Any new info on this? The Samsung E450 soundbar is in next month's Costco coupon book and I'm thinking about buying it...if it will work with my TiVo Glo remote.
That soundbar has an analog input. If your TV has analog outputs (ie if it's not an LG) you can use the TV volume to control the soundbar by setting your TV audio setting to "Variable" (from "Fixed"). This way you can bypass all the problems associated with having your Tivo remote control the soundbar.

The downside is the remote won't turn the soundbar power off. For me, this isn't a problem.

FWIW, Best Buy has this model for $250:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=4755873

Let us know how you make out with this.
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
Steve-O

This might be worth a shot, and the best info on making this soundbar work comes from the comments section for it at Amazon.com. What I've gleaned is that one would run an HDMI cable from the TiVo to an HDMI-in jack on the soundbar; then another HDMI cable from an HDMI-out jack on the soundbar to an HDMI jack on the TV. Now I'd have to go back and review what the TiVo settings were to make the TiVo Glo remote work...but it sounded hopeful, with the possible gotcha that one function this setup would not enable the remote to do, is to turn the soundbar on.

I have reason to think the Samsung E450 soundbar will be selling for $250 minus $50 coupon = $200 at Costco in January, and with Costco's liberal return policy, if this experiment doesn't work, I'd be better off than with Best Buy.

The best reason *not* to do this is that the none of the reviews for this soundbar hail it for wonderful sound quality, especially the subwoofer. So I'll have to think it over before making my move.

To future readers of this post: please don't take anything I've written as guidance. I've not tried this yet.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #17
malayphred
Underpowered User

[quote=Steve-O;9441862]This might be worth a shot, and the best info on making this soundbar work comes from the comments section for it at Amazon.com. What I've gleaned is that one would run an HDMI cable from the TiVo to an HDMI-in jack on the soundbar; then another HDMI cable from an HDMI-out jack on the soundbar to an HDMI jack on the TV. Now I'd have to go back and review what the TiVo settings were to make the TiVo Glo remote work...but it sounded hopeful, with the possible gotcha that one function this setup would not enable the remote to do, is to turn the soundbar on.

I don't think that's correct.

What I gather from this:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-E45...6422271&sr=1-1

HDMI Audio Return Channel

Eliminate the need to use two cable connections. Instead, all you need is one HDMI connection between your sound bar and TV. Audio will be sent between your TV and sound bar (from connected external devices) using the same HDMI cable.

is that you only need to run one HDMI cable from your TV to the soundbar.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
Steve-O

I think we're saying the same thing. There would be an HDMI cable between soundbar and TV, yes; but if I understand correctly, the HDMI cable from the TiVo would go to the soundbar instead of the TV.

If the TiVo were instead connected to the TV through another HDMI port, then the quandary would be, do I select HDMI-1 or HDMI-2 when selecting an input on the TV?

That's why I think, and I believe this is what I read, the TiVo should be hooked up via HDMI to the soundbar, and the soundbar in turn to the TV, in a serial manner. N'est-ce pas?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #19
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
I think we're saying the same thing. There would be an HDMI cable between soundbar and TV, yes; but if I understand correctly, the HDMI cable from the TiVo would go to the soundbar instead of the TV.

If the TiVo were instead connected to the TV through another HDMI port, then the quandary would be, do I select HDMI-1 or HDMI-2 when selecting an input on the TV?

That's why I think, and I believe this is what I read, the TiVo should be hooked up via HDMI to the soundbar, and the soundbar in turn to the TV, in a serial manner. N'est-ce pas?
Yes. This makes sense.

The important thing is that it looks like it is going to work the way you want. The only way to see for certain which scenario works best is to try the various combinations once you get the soundbar home and hook it up.

I will be watching to see if you post the results.

All the best,

Ron
Old 12-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #20
Edmund
Remote Czar

This Soundbar uses a code not Preset into any Directv remote. But newer receivers like the HR34(Genie) or Hr24 with x-series remote can load a upgrade code to the remote that wasn't in there before. This upgrade code isn't permanent, one reset of the remote wipes it out, you would need the receiver to load it again.

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/...ostID=11116981
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote