TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Donbadabon
Geocacher

ABC's The Glass House -like CBS's Big Brother

Starts June 18th, unless CBS's lawsuit to block the show is upheld.

Any Big Brother fan's gonna watch this? I will check out an episode or two to see how different it is.

"LOS ANGELES -- CBS sued ABC on Thursday to stop an upcoming reality show that CBS claims is being developed in violation of its copyrights and with secrets obtained from the long-running reality show "Big Brother."

The federal lawsuit seeks an injunction barring ABC from continuing its work or airing "The Glass House," a show that will film and allow viewers to vote off contestants living together in a house.

CBS claims the show copies the formula used for its hit series "Big Brother," and that ABC has hired 19 of the show's former staffers to help make "Glass House."

The lawsuit also names two top "Glass House" producers and an ABC programming executive who worked on "Big Brother," claiming they are violating non-disclosure agreements and giving away secrets of the show to their new employers.

"In copying `Big Brother,' defendants have had an unprecedented and troubling degree of access to CBS's copyrightable expression, as well as CBS's protected trade secrets and other confidential and proprietary information related to the behind-the-scenes development, filming and production of `Big Brother,'" the lawsuit states.

In its lawsuit, CBS claims an unnamed ABC executive instructed others to try to hire as many former "Big Brother" staffers as possible to undercut its competitor.

ABC denied wrongdoing in a statement, calling the lawsuit meritless.

"The differences between `Glass House' and `Big Brother' are both fundamental and obvious," the network wrote in a statement, citing interactive elements, audience participation and new technologies.

It will be up to a federal judge to compare the similarities and differences in the shows and determine if CBS should be given an injunction and potentially millions of dollars in damages.

The lawsuit states many valuable elements of "Big Brother" cannot be gleaned from merely watching the show. The suit says the processes in which story lines are created and challenges are handled involving the filming of contestants around-the-clock are protected by the non-disclosure agreements.

"Many of the `Big Brother' trade secrets were developed because of the series' fast-paced schedule and unique format," the lawsuit states."
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

I don't really see how there are secrets about how to record and televise people locked in a house.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
marksman
ID-10-T

Given how every successful reality show on cable has a copycat in six months I don't see the merit of this.

I used to watch bb Australia, uk and us every summer. Was massive chunk of time. Bb uk is now shorter and bb Australia gone so I will check this out. It will be significantly different enough to make it interesting and maybe CBS bb will step up their game. It is a bit tired at this point and I am tired of former houseguest coming back on.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
sieglinde

Hoping that a new show is a drama is like hoping that Congress will do useful work. I saw the title Glass House, assuming it was a made for TV movie, I had some hope that it would be interesting. Oh well, another reality show.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
Hoping that a new show is a drama is like hoping that Congress will do useful work. I saw the title Glass House, assuming it was a made for TV movie, I had some hope that it would be interesting. Oh well, another reality show.
I'll watch. I enjoy BB so if it's similar with interesting differences, that is a selling point for me. I like reality competition shows and don't get the disdain people have for them. On the other hand, I never watch made for TV movies.

I hope one difference will be that unlike BB, it is in HD.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post

I hope one difference will be that unlike BB, it is in HD.
If bb isn't in HD this year, I won't watch.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

I'm in. If it's like BB, why wouldn't I check it out.

I don't blame CBS for trying to stop it. However, I also don't see how CBS will succeed.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I'll watch. In fact, this publicity is good for ABC as I had never even heard of this show until it was mentioned here as being like BB. And it starts a month before BB starts anyways.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Alfer
WOOSAH!

We'll check it out. Summer TV selection is bad enough, so I'm open to checking out something offbeat like this. Oh and we watch BB.

(doesn't matter if BB is HD or not, we still watch)
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
sieglinde

I found that the reality shows I end up really enjoying are where there is a competition in some skill. This included singing, art or special effects makeup. I also like the things that take you into someone's shop and shows the work they are doing such as Dream Machines or Monster Man. I have watched the shows that have people competing over popularity such as Survivor, a Gilligans Island type show and some others but I have given up on the shows that resemble putting a grasshopper in a jar of ants to see what happens type shows.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Donbadabon
Geocacher

The bios are up:

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-glass-house/bios

A little older crowd than Big Brother normally pulls in.

Alex, bail bondsman, 25, Dallas, TX
Andrea, bookkeeper, age 31, Valencia, CA
Apollo, poet/author, age 28, Phoenix, AZ
Ashley, paralegal, age 30, New Orleans, LA
Erica, cocktail waitress, age 27, Denver, CO
Gene, stuntman, age 28, Chicago, IL
Jacob, cook, age 28, Coos Bay, OR
Jeffrey, receptionist, age 35, Brooklyn, NY
Joy, nurse, age 27, Fredericksburg, VA
Kevin, police sergeant, age 33, Toledo, OH
Melissa, freelance journalist, age 31, Chicago, IL
Mike, bar mitzvah DJ, age 48, Pembroke, MA
Robin, blogger, age 43, Washington, DC
Stephanie, scientist, age 32, Boston, MA
Old 06-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
andyw715

funny metric #of facebook friends
andyw715 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
Shaunnick

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-glass-house/bios/erica
Blonde hair, blue eyes, big breasts, and a cocktail waitress. I think I just found the woman the other women in the house will hate.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
I used to watch bb Australia, uk and us every summer. Was massive chunk of time. Bb uk is now shorter and bb Australia gone
BB Australia returns this year.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon
The bios are up:

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-glass-house/bios

A little older crowd than Big Brother normally pulls in.

Alex, bail bondsman, 25, Dallas, TX
Andrea, bookkeeper, age 31, Valencia, CA
Apollo, poet/author, age 28, Phoenix, AZ
Ashley, paralegal, age 30, New Orleans, LA
Erica, cocktail waitress, age 27, Denver, CO
Gene, stuntman, age 28, Chicago, IL
Jacob, cook, age 28, Coos Bay, OR
Jeffrey, receptionist, age 35, Brooklyn, NY
Joy, nurse, age 27, Fredericksburg, VA
Kevin, police sergeant, age 33, Toledo, OH
Melissa, freelance journalist, age 31, Chicago, IL
Mike, bar mitzvah DJ, age 48, Pembroke, MA
Robin, blogger, age 43, Washington, DC
Stephanie, scientist, age 32, Boston, MA
Interesting. One complaint about big brother from the older skewer forum fans here and elsewhere is having too young a cast and anyone over 30 being treated like the old guy.

As for aussie bb coming back eff me. I used to spend 150 days from the launch of bb au until the finale of bb us. This was before more summer tv shows and Showtime after dark.

That being said bb uk is like ten weeks now. I know one season it was like 105 days which is crazy. I will certainly check it out. The problem you saw in bb1 here and in other countries is fans tend to vote out the interesting people.

That being said bb uk winner Aaron last year was one of my favorites of all time perhaps behind only Dr. Will here.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
tiams

On a somewhat related note: if anyone could sue, it would be NBC and The Voice suing Fox and The Choice. I say that as someone who has never watched The Voice and only one episode of The Choice (that was enough). They both have spinning chairs, and they both have celebrities picking contestants site unseen for their "team" and they both have elimination rounds to narrow down the contestants.

But really, who cares?
Old 06-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

It will be really interesting to see if this works here because it is so similar to BB1, which mostly flopped and had to be re-worked to make it more interesting and realizing the public voting doesn't also necessarily make for good TV.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
WhiskeyTango

I'm surprised CBS didn't sue CMT as well for their Survivor ripoff, Redneck Island.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #19
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

I like BB so I'll end up watching. I have found that BB seems to have 'settled' down and the house guests are not as wild and crazy as they were a couple years ago and other than the language, even the Showtime Afterdark episodes are not as entertaining as the earlier seasons of BB. The guests seem to be more aware of the cameras and the 'real' time while in the house. It would be better if they did not know when SAD was broadcasting.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #20
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
On a somewhat related note: if anyone could sue, it would be NBC and The Voice suing Fox and The Choice. I say that as someone who has never watched The Voice and only one episode of The Choice (that was enough). They both have spinning chairs, and they both have celebrities picking contestants site unseen for their "team" and they both have elimination rounds to narrow down the contestants.

But really, who cares?
I watched the beginning rounds of The Voice, and the first episode of The Choice. The Choice is just lame, and it's an end-to-end show in one hour. Fox just did the spinning chairs and sound-alike name to "mimic" The Voice, but it's certainly a completely different show.

I'll probly watch Glass House, at least to start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

In reading about this show, one thing bothered me in that they are mentioning that the viewers will decide who gets voted off. Didn't they do this the first season of BB (which I didn't watch) and it turned out to be a huge failure? All that was left were the boring houseguests, and by S2 they switched the format to let the houseguests vote each other off.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
plateau10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
In reading about this show, one thing bothered me in that they are mentioning that the viewers will decide who gets voted off. Didn't they do this the first season of BB (which I didn't watch) and it turned out to be a huge failure? All that was left were the boring houseguests, and by S2 they switched the format to let the houseguests vote each other off.
After being trained for 12 years to enjoy drama, I'm sure the viewers will vote off the boring contestants this time.
plateau10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #23
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
The producers know better than to let viewers determine who is eliminated. They will withhold that power for themselves so they can be sure to orchestrate the drama and controversy.

From ABC's website : "Viewer votes will help determine which contestants are sent home and also which eliminated players will earn the chance to return to “The Glass House” to compete each week."

In other words, your vote will mean nothing.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #24
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by plateau10 View Post
After being trained for 12 years to enjoy drama, I'm sure the viewers will vote off the boring contestants this time.
I think generally viewers want to help the good guy and punish the bad guy. So they'd vote out the bully to help the other contestants, but not realize that the bully is the reason the show was so interesting.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #25
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

If I'm reading this correctly, there will be live feeds today between 3-4pm est. In other words, right now as of this post.

http://glass-house.abc.go.com/shows/...view-and-vote/
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #26
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, there will be live feeds today between 3-4pm est. In other words, right now as of this post.

http://glass-house.abc.go.com/shows/...view-and-vote/

It is, am watching it now...

The person that speaks to the houseguests is a woman, so that is different. lol. She has a 'Val' vibe to her. Anyone remember Val from that MTV show with the pods?

Right now they are playing a game. Val is asking them questions, and people online are voting also. I can't see the voting part though, it is not showing up for me.

The questions are like:

How long should you date before getting married:

6 months
1 year
3 years
5+ years

Then, based on the houseguests answers, they go to a certain room and wait for the results. So if you think 6 months you go to the bathroom, 5+ years you go to the kitchen, etc.

I don't know what the point is, unless for each one they match with the viewers they individually get points.

Last edited by Donbadabon : 06-12-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #27
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post

The person that speaks to the houseguests is a woman, so that is different. lol. She has a 'Val' vibe to her. Anyone remember Val from that MTV show with the pods?

Solitary. I don't remember it being on MTV, I watched it on Fox Reality Channel.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm starting to think I'm not going to like this much. I'm not a big fan of shows that constantly beg for votes from the audience, usually sponsored by someone (so it becomes a glorified ad). To me, it's more fun to watch the contestants duke it out without too much outside interference. But I'll give it a shot and see if I'm wrong about it.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Solitary. I don't remember it being on MTV, I watched it on Fox Reality Channel.
That is it. You are right, it was Fox Reality, not MTV. I loved that show.

They've been playing the game for an hour now.

They are really hamming it up for the camera, lots of posing.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #30
Donbadabon
Geocacher

A few shots captured from the live feed of the house-guests in the kitchen:

That is Assley, I mean Ashley, in the gray. I'm just sayin.

Last edited by Donbadabon : 06-12-2012 at 03:56 PM.