Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
mwhip
All better

So You Think You Can Dance S9 Audtions Thread

I figured we only need one thread for the auditions

The 29-year-old woman and her kids is why this is one of the best reality competition shows on TV. Things like that cannot be staged.

Some good dancers this year and I think they are really going all out because in the past they have found great dancers in SLC and Dallas before.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
walkerism
The Clean Up Man

Knowing that we will have a boy and a girl winner this year just made this show a whole lot better.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Let's Wiggle!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

There were a few that I liked but now I can only remember the few that they spent tons of time on. That exorcist dude was so odd but so so cool at the same time. I really enjoyed his performance. The ballet dancer with no shirt... did not get the hype on him looks or dance. Toshihiko who dropped out because he couldn't do the lifts in choreography was really cool too. The last guy singing to his mom was really good. Everyone else I've forgotten.
I do wish Lil'C would get a new term. I'm over everyone being buck.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I haven't watched all of the audition show yet, but I'm starting to wonder if I should just watch the auditions and Vegas week and then quit watching.

To get myself warmed up for the show, night before last I watched someone's compilation on YouTube of the best auditions of season eight. One of those was the eventual winner. When I watched the show, by the time season eight was over, I couldn't remember that dancer's audition at all. Looking at it again, I could see why they had chosen that person, but the special quality that showed in the audition didn't always show up in that dancer's work on the show.

I understand what they are doing, and I get why they do it the way they do, but it is maddening to have my expectations set for great stuff by the work I see in the auditions and in Vegas week, only to be disappointed when the person gets onto the show itself, and the dancing rarely seems to have the same spark that got the person onto the show in the first place.

I think part of the problem for me is that the most recent seasons have been way over-produced, with the lighting design and the new stage taking too much focus away from the dancing. So I'm happy to see the auditions start again, where I can watch the dancers on a bare stage, and really focus on the dancing. And I'm sad at the same time, because the auditions will be over way too soon, and we'll be back to watching frantic thirty-second solos and overproduced mush.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Cainebj

I was underwhelmed.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

murgatroyd, I can see why you'd say that but for all the over produced mush, once in a while you'll get something really great that IMO makes it all worth it.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
JoBeth66
Temp

Sadly, I didn't even finish /watching/ last season because of all the things that took away from the dancing - the costuming, the camera angles, the dancers being upstaged by the STAGE, so I'm kinda with Murgatroyed on that one.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

For all of that, there is the fact that Cat Deeley is extremely easy on the eye apart from the hawt girl dancers for the guys and the hawt guy dancers for the girls (or whichever way takes you )!
Old 05-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

That one guy was a jackass! The guy that acted like an ass to Cat and then a bigger ass to the judges and the crowd.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
To get myself warmed up for the show, night before last I watched someone's compilation on YouTube of the best auditions of season eight. One of those was the eventual winner. When I watched the show, by the time season eight was over, I couldn't remember that dancer's audition at all. Looking at it again, I could see why they had chosen that person, but the special quality that showed in the audition didn't always show up in that dancer's work on the show.
Probably because when someone auditions, it is alone and in their specialty, but after that, the dances are in groups or pairs (except for "dance for your life" solos, and I think they eventually get to solos in the performances near the end of the season) and the styles change, so of course they're not as comfortable.

Quote:
So I'm happy to see the auditions start again, where I can watch the dancers on a bare stage, and really focus on the dancing. And I'm sad at the same time, because the auditions will be over way too soon, and we'll be back to watching frantic thirty-second solos and overproduced mush.
With the new one-show-per-week format, there will be far fewer "30-second solos".
ADD: ...at least that's what Nigel Lythgoe claimed; however, a press release for the show implies that there will be "dance for your life" solos in each episode.
(Also, the All-Stars will be back once they are down to the final 10.)

Last edited by That Don Guy : 05-25-2012 at 05:11 PM.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
jradosh
Newlywed

When did this start, and why isn't it showing up when I search on tivo.com??? Did they change the name of it?

What channel and time is it on?

Never mind.... found it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
murgatroyd, I can see why you'd say that but for all the over produced mush, once in a while you'll get something really great that IMO makes it all worth it.
My wife is kind of getting turned off to the show but I still really like it, for all the reasons above. The occasional jewel that surfaces is worth wading through all the silly stuff.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #14
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

WHOA!

What have I been missing, by not getting to San Francisco Ballet?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
That Excorcist dude's audition was *amazing*! I totally expected him to tank, and that was one of the most emotionally moving things I've seen in the audition process.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #16
tiams

Quote:
There were a few that I liked but now I can only remember the few that they spent tons of time on. That exorcist dude was so odd but so so cool at the same time. I really enjoyed his performance. The ballet dancer with no shirt... did not get the hype on him looks or dance. Toshihiko who dropped out because he couldn't do the lifts in choreography was really cool too. The last guy singing to his mom was really good. Everyone else I've forgotten.
I do wish Lil'C would get a new term. I'm over everyone being buck.
I didn't get all the emotion over the exorcist dude.

I can't stand Li'l' C and I can't stand hearing "buck" all the time.

I also really liked the Japanese guy who dropped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
That one guy was a jackass! The guy that acted like an ass to Cat and then a bigger ass to the judges and the crowd.
What a hypocritical jerk. If the show is so awful, WTF are you doing trying to get on it?

The story of the guy whose mother tried to commit suicide seemed off to me. He said the first thing he thought when he found her was that he hadn't danced on stage yet. It is extremely narcissistic to think your dancing is something for someone else to want to live for.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
tiams

The autistic guy was way better than I expected!
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #18
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
The autistic guy was way better than I expected!
I have to say, I fully expected them to be grade A jackasses to that kid. I was expecting busting laughter from behind hands and chairs turned around. Instead they were all very nice to him. I kind of liked that. Not everyone needs to be made fun of.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
We can hope.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
The 29-year-old woman and her kids is why this is one of the best reality competition shows on TV. Things like that cannot be staged.
The thing I liked most about the mom and her kids is that it wasn't just a sweet moment. Mom can dance, and then we found out when they called up the daughter that she can bring it as well.

There was one time where the little girl fell right on her butt, but she what she did with her arms afterwards (sorry, I don't know the ballet terminology) made it a 'moment'. It was awesome.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #21
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
That Excorcist dude's audition was *amazing*! I totally expected him to tank, and that was one of the most emotionally moving things I've seen in the audition process.
I totally agree and never expected to get emotional over that type of dance.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #22
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
I thought that many of his gestures and movements exemplified the human spirit so well that my own spirit seemed to want to respond almost instinctively. The way you can sometimes feel pulled when you hear a child cry out or see someone experience a tragedy- your body just responds so quickly and thoroughly that it feels like your brain was bypassed in terms of the reaction.
He has tapped into that manner of expression really, really well.
I was amazed.

I hope I was able to convey those thoughts successfully
I'm certain there has to be a word for "universal human pictograms" and I am just too uneducated to know it.
I'll bet there is an entire field of study on them.

That this guy just managed to tap into them (I presume without an advanced degree in.. whatever field of study it is) is remarkable.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #23
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I can't stop watching this.
Hampton Williams - The "Exorcist"

Or full screen it for the best effect on your self.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ofqmk5Fn518
Old 05-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
The ballet dancer with no shirt... did not get the hype on him looks or dance.
BTW, I just looked up Daniel Baker, and as I suspected, he's coming from the corps de ballet.

Obviously, he's no Alex Wong, but Alex is a soloist. Interesting that they've both come out of Miami City Ballet.

As for his looks -- I've seen worse.

I liked the "no tall poppies" fakeout.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #25
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I didn't get all the emotion over the exorcist dude.
I just watched some of the auditions again, including this one. The thing that made it extraordinary is that 1) he's quite good at the movement that his style requires and 2) like one of the breakers earlier in the show, he was combining that movement with a musical style that no one in the audience expected him to use, and making a style that people expect to be hard into something very lyrical.

Combine that with the emotions expressed in the song itself, and yeah, that was a three-hanky special.

I think the effect of the performance was probably much stronger for the people in the house than it was for us watching at home. Remember the setting: the audience has seen this performance before and after watching a bunch of other auditions, some of which were also quite good, but many of which are merely okay, or junk.

When you pull a performance out of its context and watch it in isolation, even if it is extraordinary, you don't get the same reaction that you would if you saw all the performances before and after.

There are a lot of subtleties in the performance and I think it's worth re-watching to get them all. But whether the performance spoke to you or not -- whoa, the control and expression in that was amazing.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #26
timckelley
TCFer

There's something about Mary Murphy's mouth expressions that bugs me. But lots of high quality dancing. It looks like a good start to the season.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #27
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

Something different from how her mouth appeared in the previous 8 seasons?

Has she had work done, maybe? I didn't notice anything different.

(Actually, it's the shrieks that so often come out of her mouth that bother me, not its appearance.)
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #28
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePennyDropped View Post
Something different from how her mouth appeared in the previous 8 seasons?

Has she had work done, maybe? I didn't notice anything different.
Her eyes no longer match, either.
The first segment I thought that maybe one of her false eyelashes was on crooked, but the second segment it was the same. Her right eye is droopier than her left and it was not like that previously.
I vote work done.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #29
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
I have to say, I fully expected them to be grade A jackasses to that kid. I was expecting busting laughter from behind hands and chairs turned around. Instead they were all very nice to him. I kind of liked that. Not everyone needs to be made fun of.
I love that they encourage people of all walks of life and ability. They had a Down Syndrome guy on last year, I think it was, and they did the same thing - lots of encouragement and compliments, although they obviously were not going to get on the show. they tried to do something they loved and the judges rewarded it with positive remarks.

This is something I've always admired about Nigel and the gang. Even those not good enough to go through will get positive remarks if it appears that they are genuine and have some potential, whatever the level.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #30
SleepyBob

I don't watch this type of show much, but I liked how it was missing much of the "meanness" that usually accompanies the tryouts on other shows, like American Idol.

An awful lot of standing-ovations, though.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote