TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
sharkster

Question Premiere spontaneously restarting itself

Has anybody else had this happen? Does it indicate a problem?

Yesterday, while I was watching tv in my living room, I went to click back into the recorded show I was watching before and suddenly all the colored lights on the front of the Tivo blinked on and then off, then it restarted itself.

That went without incident and, fortunately, I was not recording at the time so nothing was interrupted except the 30 minute buffer on both tuners. It did change the channel on one tuner so that both tuners were on the same channel when I was back up. That seemed kind of odd.

My Premieres are only about 3 months old. The living room one (same one) was having problems getting stuck at first (to the extent that I would have to restart it, or sometimes it ended up restarting itself) but nothing major and it seemed to work itself out and hasn't happened since the beginning.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
PHTM

After the last update 20.2.1.1 I'm getting a restart almost daily. While watching a show I get random pauses, and sometimes a restart. Before it was once a month or two.
PHTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
sharkster

Thanks for your response. Oh wow! So far, I've only had it spontaneously restart the once. My other one (both got latest update on same date) hasn't done it yet. It seems like whenever something weird is happening, it is happening 90% with the living rm box. I hope that's not some bad omen. My bdrm one has been pretty eventless since I replaced my old S2 boxes with these Premieres in March. Maybe it's more in the living room because I put in more hours on that TV.

Maybe the little update they have coming will alleviate whatever the heck the problem is now.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
tattube

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post

Maybe the little update they have coming will alleviate whatever the heck the problem is now.
I'm thinking it's the recent update that's causing the problem.
I've had 2 restarts this week that seem to have initiated by pressing the left arrow to go from live tv to tivo central menus.
This after 22 trouble-free months on my TPXL.
tattube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
sharkster

The new little patch update is out now, so you might want to check. Hope it helps! I got it on one of my Tivos (the one with the restarts, so fingers crossed) and am waiting for the other one.

I guess I've been pretty lucky with the spontaneous restarts, so far, as this was the first one in almost 3 months with that box. Bdrm box seems fine.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
jrlbc06

I got the XL4 last week and had my first reboot last night.

Was hoping I wouldn't be one of the ones having this problem, but looks like it. About 15 minutes before the reboot the Tivo became incredibly slow and wouldn't respond to remote control button pushes for long periods of seconds (then respond to all the buttons I had pushed all at once).

Then it just flashed black and I got the Tivo is booting up screen.
jrlbc06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
weymo
timeshifter

I believe I can make my quad-tuner (and every tivo I've had before) reboot by using the online Season Pass manager while watching a recording on the machine. Extremely frustrating...I see an ad for a new show, I go online to set it up while continuing to watch, add the show and within about a minute...kapow.
It seems that whenever the NIC gets busy the box just throws its hands up and reboots. Been a problem since early Series 2 for me.
weymo is offline   Reply With Quote