TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
tamujeff

Tivo desktop transfer issue

I am trying to transfer shows from my series 2 dvr to my pc using Tivo Desktop 2.82. I just download the software and no previous versions. I have cleaned and redownloaded Tivo Desktop several times. I am running win7 64bit. The download starts and then fails after 9 to 10 MB. Here are a few things I've tried.

Tried both bonjour and beacon.
Tried changing directory virtualstore to virtualstore_temp
Tried installing Tivo Desktop as Admin
Tried running TivoDesktop and transfer as admin
Rebooted my series 2
Tried turning off both TrendMicro and Firewall
Same result.
Tried tivoip through IE - started download but after 9MB got error "an internal error occurred in Microsoft Internet extensions"

Also tried these on my wife's pc - same result.

Tivo support has me now changing my dvr options to not allow video downloads and after 2 hrs change back to allow video downloads and then wait 2 more hours and try again.

I dont think this is going to work so I thought I would see if anyone had any other suggestions. I forgot to mention, both PC's(laptops) and my series 2 are on a netgear wireless router.
tamujeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
tootal2

i had to remove my anti virus to fix this

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamujeff View Post
I am trying to transfer shows from my series 2 dvr to my pc using Tivo Desktop 2.82. I just download the software and no previous versions. I have cleaned and redownloaded Tivo Desktop several times. I am running win7 64bit. The download starts and then fails after 9 to 10 MB. Here are a few things I've tried.

Rebooted my series 2
Same result.
Tried tivoip through IE - started download but after 9MB got error "an internal error occurred in Microsoft Internet extensions"

Tivo support has me now changing my dvr options to not allow video downloads and after 2 hrs change back to allow video downloads and then wait 2 more hours and try again.

I dont think this is going to work so I thought I would see if anyone had any other suggestions. I forgot to mention, both PC's(laptops) and my series 2 are on a netgear wireless router.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
tamujeff

I turned TrendMicro off - are you saying I need to uninstall?

Should note - I tried TivoPlaylist software to try to download. Failed.
Just tried Kmttg - also failed at 10MG - received error message " curl (56) received problem 3 in the chuncky parser"
Old 07-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Try playing the recording and see if there is anything at that point. Any discrepancy would prevent the transfer from continuing.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
dwit

Have you enabled transfers in your account at tivo.com?
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
tamujeff

dwit,
I had enable video downloads checked. I unchecked for 2 hrs per Tivo help desk. Now its back on for the last 5 minutes.

Thabto,
After it fails at 10mg it disappears from now playing
Old 07-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
tamujeff

Could it be router related since it happens on both my laptops? Something to do with wireless?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
dwit

In this very similar case, Trend Micro was the issue, but turning it off solved it:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=472788
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
tamujeff

I saw that. I tried turning off along with my firewall. Still failed.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
tamujeff

Here is the error message from the Tivo Transfer log:

Error 2011-07-27:14-14-55.831-05:00 0x1BEC DownloaderCb.cpp, DownloaderCb::error, 81 | http://192.168.1.4:80/download/Entou...eo/x-tivo-mpeg failed: error=6
Old 07-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Does this happen with one particular show or does it happen with any show you try to transfer?

Have you tried downloading a show through a web browser?

Open a browser and go to https:/<IP address of your Tivo here>.
You may be presented with a certificate warning screen, click "continue to website".
You will have to enter a user name and password.

User name = tivo
Password is your Media Access Key

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
tamujeff

I think I issolated it to trend mico. I had turned off trend micro protection and still had the issue so I thought I had eliminated that as an issue. However, when I exited out of trend micro completely, it now is working. Any suggestions on what exceptions should go into trend micro so that i can keep the virus protection on.

Thanks - progress I am so excited - this has taken so much of my time.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
I think I issolated it to trend mico. I had turned off trend micro protection and still had the issue so I thought I had eliminated that as an issue. However, when I exited out of trend micro completely, it now is working. Any suggestions on what exceptions should go into trend micro so that i can keep the virus protection on.

Thanks - progress I am so excited - this has taken so much of my time.
Just use the free version of Avast! and use Spybot S&D (that's 2 different programs) instead.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
stepenlite

The transfer problem was caused by Trend Micro Titanium on my PC (Win 7).

Click on Start>All Programs>Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security>Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit

Click on tab "C) Uninstall" and then button "5. Stop all Components" Leave the Toolkit open, and try the transfer again.

Did it work?

Don't forget to go back to the toolkit and click on "4. Start all component"
stepenlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
esteiner

So I'm having a similar issue - Windows 7 (64bit) with Tivo Desktop 2.8.2. Most of my transfers fail, although occasionally some seem to come through. Doesn't seem to be any pattern as to my success, although once something fails it generally will always fail. Here's the rub - I only use this PC for Tivo transfers; there's no virus protection on it. Any thoughts?
esteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #16
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteiner View Post
So I'm having a similar issue - Windows 7 (64bit) with Tivo Desktop 2.8.2. Most of my transfers fail, although occasionally some seem to come through. Doesn't seem to be any pattern as to my success, although once something fails it generally will always fail. Here's the rub - I only use this PC for Tivo transfers; there's no virus protection on it. Any thoughts?
There are a couple of reasons a transfer will fail.

1. There is a glitch in the video (data corruption) that is too severe for the transfer process to overcome. Try transferring the show again. Does the transfer stop at exactly the same place?
To confirm, look at where the video stops on your PC and then find that point in the video on the Tivo. Is there a video glitch there?

2. The PC hard drive you are transferring to is formatted FAT-32 which is limited to 4GB on file transfers. This limitation will allow a 30 minute HD show to be transferred but most 1 hour HD shows are larger than 4GB, and the transfer will appear to fail. Check disk management. You want your hard drive to be formatted NTFS.
If the hard drive is formatted FAT-32, there is a command line you can use in command prompt that will convert the drive to NTFS without losing any data.
Quote:
Open a command prompt and type:
convert x: /fs:ntfs (substitute x with the drive letter of the hard drive you want to convert).
I don't think #2 is your issue if you are just transferring to your C: drive as I think Windows 7 formats the HD NTFS by default.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #17
esteiner

Thanks...

#2 is not my issue, as I record everything in SD because we keep a lot of shows on the device and I don't want to fill the disk up.

I have to go back and check #1... but FYI the shows in question can be transferred between Tivo's just fine; it is only when I transfer them to the Desktop software that there's an issue. But maybe that's more sensitive.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteiner View Post
I have to go back and check #1... but FYI the shows in question can be transferred between Tivo's just fine; it is only when I transfer them to the Desktop software that there's an issue. But maybe that's more sensitive.
Yeah, in my experience MRV (Tivo to Tivo) is more robust than TTG (transfers to computer). This could be due to the fact that the Tivo has to mux the audio and video files together before sending it to the computer as the video and audio files are recorded separately on the Tivo. For MRV, the files can be transferred "as is".

Anti-virus software on your computer can also impose limits on file transfers.
If you use anti-virus softare, temporarily disable it and try a transfer.
Also, disable any firewalls you may be using.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #19
stepenlite

Quote:

Rebooted my series 2
Same result.

Here is the response I got from Trend Micro on the problem. I followed their instructions as written, and it worked. I found the same solution posted by maddmaddmaxx on 05-31-2011, but wanted to here it from T.M. myself before touching the registry.

Best of luck!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Michael,

This is Cleeve of Trend Micro Consumer Support.

I have reviewed your case and I understand that file transfer from TiVo desktop application does not work with Trend Micro Titanium running.

We are sorry to hear about the issue and rest assured that we will do our best to help you. With regard to this, we would like to check your resolution preference so I will be offering you 2 resolution options:

1. Free Service- Our engineer will assist you by giving the instructions you need to help you resolve the issue.

2. Premium Paid Service- Using high-end remote access technology, our engineer will connect to your machine and do the task for you.

OPTION 1: Free Service

This can be caused by the configuration mismatch with Trend Micro proxy component. We will need to create a new proxy configuration via the Registry Editor. Kindly refer to the steps below:

Part A. Quit All Components

1. Click Windows Orb > All Programs> Trend Micro Internet Security> Trend Micro Support Diagnostic Toolkit.
2. On the Diagnostic Toolkit window, click on [C] Uninstall tab.
3. Click on “Stop All Components” button.
4. Close the window.

Part B. Modify Trend Micro registry entry

Note: It is advisable to create a backup when modifying the registry, below is the link for the backup procedures:
esupport.trendmicro.com/Pages/Creating-and-restoring-the-Windows-system-registry-backup.aspx

1. Click Windows Orb button at the bottom left part of the screen.
2. Go to “Search” text box.
3. Type REGEDIT and press Enter key. The Registry Editor window will appear.
4. Click the plus (+) sign on the HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE key.
5. Click the plus (+) sign on SOFTWARE.
6. Click the plus (+) sign on TREND MICRO.
7. Click on NSC folder.
8. Look for and rename TmProxy entry to TmProxy1.
9. Close the Registry Editor window.

Part C. Start All Components

1. Click Windows Orb > All Programs> Trend Micro Internet Security> Trend Micro Support Diagnostic Toolkit.
2. On the Diagnostic Toolkit window, click on [C] Uninstall tab.
3. Click on “Start All Components” button.
4. Close the window.

After following the steps, you should no longer encounter the same issue.

I hope this was able to address your concern. If yes, please inform us so we may now close this case. If not, simply reply back for further assistance or clarifications.

OPTION 2: Premium Service

You may also want to take advantage of our Security Health Check Premium Service wherein one of our Premium engineers would do the job for you. They’d connect to your computer remotely and configure your Trend Micro program. Not only that, you’d get to have two extra services which are one-time use of Virus Removal Service and another use of Security Health Check. You’d also gain priority access to our Premium queue and discounted pay per incident services for future purchases. And you’d get to enjoy all of these for a fee of $75.92

*Please take note that this is only an option. Simply reply back if you’re interested. If not, kindly disregard and continue with free service option.

Note: We would appreciate a response from you within 24 to 48 hours from the date you receive this email so we can immediately get back to you.

*To ensure timely response on your cases, please check your "spam" folders too. If this email is tagged as spam, please mark this message as "not spam" e-mail.

Regards,

Cleeve C. Cabaltera
Consumer Support Team
Trendlabs HQ, Trend Micro Incorporated
stepenlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yeah, in my experience MRV (Tivo to Tivo) is more robust than TTG (transfers to computer). This could be due to the fact that the Tivo has to mux the audio and video files together before sending it to the computer as the video and audio files are recorded separately on the Tivo. For MRV, the files can be transferred "as is".

Anti-virus software on your computer can also impose limits on file transfers.
If you use anti-virus softare, temporarily disable it and try a transfer.
Also, disable any firewalls you may be using.
As I learned the hard way, TiVo to TiVo loses a lot of metadata (like when show was actually recorded rather than when transferred, among other items) that TiVo Desktop retains.

If you just want to watch on a different TiVo it's okay, but for actually backing up a show, try to get TiVo Desktop working.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
Catrp1

If you are using a Wireless TiVo Adapter then this maybe the issue. I had a Wireless "G" Adapter and was getting this error all the time during transfers & when I went to Ethernet Cable, on my Premiere, all this went away! And the TiVo Desktop Plus Ran a heck of a lot fast in transfers!
I'm running Windows-7, 64-bit. With a AMD 3.1 GHz Quad & 8-Gig of Ram
Catrp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
esteiner

I had a similar issue

Was not running any anti0virus software on that particular PC. In my case, I was using TivoToGo to encode for the iPad. Was getting random failures and no one (including Tivo) could figure out why. While trying to diagnose, I changed the encoding from iPad to iPod/iPhone. Amazingly, it worked. So now whenever a have a transfer fail, I change the encoding and it works - every single time. To be fair, as a test I went through several tries and some protocols worked while others did not - so your mileage may vary as they say.