TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Touch - No threads- so what do you think?

I have not seen a thread about Touch - anyone enjoying it?
If I saw this series before seeing 24, there is no way I would watch Kiefer Sutherland (SP) ever again. I realize that its not fair to compare the two but Touch is a snoozefest (IMHO).
Most of the hour is spent whisper(YELLING) Jake, JaKE, JAKE.
Am I the only one who feels this way? Is this the new Ghost Whisperer?
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
allan
I survived the Mayan

Still watching, but not thrilled with it. Maybe part of it is that I compare Jake's dad (I can't even remember the character's name ) to Jack of 24, but I think most of it is that the show is repetitive.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Doggie Bear

It's so-so for me. If I were grading it (I'm in the middle of grading exams right now), I'd give it a B-.

I'm not sure how much of it is the fact that it suffers in comparison to the narrative drive of "24," which, for all its flaws, was intensely compelling. On an intellectual level, I know this is not "24," but emotionally, when I see Kiefer Sutherland on the screen, I expect Jack Bauer.
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

I too suffer from the '24' comparison effect but that's not the only thing that ruins the series for me. I just can't seem to put my finger on what's wrong and maybe I don't even care anymore. I just thought it interesting that the Pilot was widely received and then nary a word about the series in our forum.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
WhiskeyTango

I gave up after about 2 or 3 episodes. I too found it repetitive. It seemed like the setup in every episode involved Keifer telling a stranger, "I don't know how but I think I'm supposed to help you."
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Church AV Guy

I wouldn't be watching it at all, but the wife really likes it. I get the really complex connections between the various threads that come together, but for reasons I can't really articulate, it isn;t really compelling. Maybe because Jake is just TOO distant and unresponsive.

In a way, it reminds me of the show Medium. She was always getting insights into crimes, and they almost never believed her, after several years, they STILL didn't believe her when she had an insight that they were looking the wrong direction. Jake sees connections, and only Martin believes something is there. Even in the face of overwhelming evidence, no one else believes it.

There are sinsiter forces at work trying to take Jake from Martin. Just artificial tension to serve the plot--soap opera style.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

They're piling up on my NP list. Never my first choice to watch.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I'm still watching. I think it's getting better. They are focusing more on Jake's ability now that it is understood.
They don't have to have him running off 'nilly willy' to get his father involved in whatever story they want to tell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
BitbyBlit

I'm still watching as well, and enjoying it. It's definitely less repetitive now that the overall arc is starting to progress. But there really isn't much to discuss other than a little speculation about a potential conspiracy.

But with this type of show it's hard to gauge whether the potential sinister organizations involved will end up being central to the story or the focus will stay more on the emotional side of a father bonding with his son, and fighting not to lose him.

Kyle XY ended up getting a lot more spy/action oriented than I had expected it to based on how it started, so perhaps Touch will end up being that way as well.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #10
steverm2

Idid not like this from the start.I got over the"24 syndrome" and liked it even less.
steverm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #11
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I liked the pilot well enough but couldn't get enthused enough to watch the series. My wife is watching and her reply when I just asked was "it's okay". Neither one of us ever watched 24, so that seems to be an advantage for her.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:47 AM   #12
Gary McCoy

I absolutely LOVE the opening credits, some of the best graphics ever. The episode plots are a bit repetitive. There is a very thin story arc about a larger "conspiracy" involving the autistic savants who can distinguish the numbers, but it's really thin and really is more about the bogus psuedo-science of Numerology than real Mathematics.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #13
DouglasPHill

Stopped watching after the 3rd episode.
DouglasPHill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #14
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
They're piling up on my NP list. Never my first choice to watch.
Mine too. I was saving it for a summer watching, now, not so much.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #15
markp99
TakoKichi

Still watching. There have been a couple decent "connections".

I too get hung-up waiting for Jack to call in for perimeter support from Chloe.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #16
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

The show is definitely losing me as well. They could have made the absurd pseudo-math seem so much more fascinating if they got someone who knew the basics to contribute, but they're cranking the absurdity of the coincidences up just as fast as they're watering down the premise.

Here's something I like to do: at the 45 minute mark, pause the show and come up with your own ending that ties together everything so far. You can probably do it in a minute, and the trick is, can you think of one that depends on coincidences that are more unlikely than the one the show will actually use, or one that's less satisfying? It makes the whole thing seem lazy: they make it look like it's tightly plotted, but in truth, they could just start writing random things and then wait for the last page to decide how to connect them, and it comes out just like this show. (They probably do, too. Maybe they go back and add a foreshadowing bit later, now and then, but often they don't even bother; they just took whatever they already wrote and use that as if it were foreshadowing.)

Ultimately, what's left to care about? None of the characters are compelling and none of the storylines have any suspense or other element of interest.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #17
Boston Fan

Watched the first episode and figured out the storyline in the first five minutes. Spent the rest of the show having them laboriously walk us through the plot and then deleted the SP.
Boston Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #18
holee
Uncertain

It's a fun, light show, but I agree with what just about everyone's saying in that I think their attempt to make it a serialized show is failing. I'm not getting any sense of a bigger story.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by holee View Post
I'm not getting any sense of a bigger story.
Unless that bigger story appears soon, Touch will be done for me. Maybe Danny from The Shield is that, but it seems to be more of the same "take Jake away from Martin" stuff.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
Church AV Guy

Quote:
...it seems to be more of the same "take Jake away from Martin" stuff.
And that is only there to artifically add to the tension. For me, it's not adding to the tension as much as annoying me greatly.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Just read that it's renewed for 2nd season. I tried to stick with it, but just couldn't...
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #22
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

I loved the pilot but all the rest of the episodes are just different versions of the pilot. Also, I can't figure out why the (state?) wants so badly to take a son away from a loving father. There are lots of kids in much worse situations that they could focus their resources on.

Or....maybe those try to take Jake have more than his welfare in mind?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #23
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I like it and am sticking with it. But it does get annoying with the whole 'what are you trying to tell me' schtick.

I don't remember how Kiefer makes money. He doesn't have time to work. Maybe it was from his wife's life insurance?
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
markp99
TakoKichi

I think he's a baggage monkey at the airport? But, used to be something more high profile (news?), not sure what, which may account for his nice digs.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #25
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I think he's a baggage monkey at the airport? But, used to be something more high profile (news?), not sure what, which may account for his nice digs.
He was some kind of investigative reporter/financial journalist type. There was an episode where one of the characters was a math wiz at a hedge fund, etc. etc. and involved that plot point.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #26
FireMen2003

The wife family was rich as well, correct?

I just watched the episode from 5/3, scaffolding across the street had a 213 area code instead of 212 but who didn't know the show was filmed in LA and not NYC...

The show is ok. He will always be Jack Bauer to me so it is funny when he makes the phone calls. He acts just like when he used to call CTU and Chloe.

Last edited by FireMen2003 : 05-11-2012 at 12:40 AM.
FireMen2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #27
steve614
what ru lookin at?

As per the most recent episode, I think things are settling down. Jake is not so annoying (they still need to stop his running off, nilly willy), and things are coming to a head.

I really like how they integrate the stories with people from all over the world (and space) with cause and effect. "Touch" is an appropriate title for me.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #28
alpacaboy

I'm waiting for something like:
"He keeps writing 24... 24... 24. Why, Jake? WHY!?!?! That number means nothing to me!"
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
morac
Cat God

If I can get past the first 20 minutes or so of an episode then it becomes enjoyable. The problem is that I feel like I'm going to fall asleep in those first 20 minutes.

I'm not sure why this was renewed, but others shows like Awake (which is a better show IMHO and based on reviews on MetaCritic) were canceled. Touch is being moved to Fridays next season, which is where shows go to die, so I don't expect a season 3.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #30
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just finished watching the final episodes of this season. The 2 parter was really good in that it brought together a lot of the threads that were part of the entire season. He still says Jake a lot but he is figuring things out much easier now. Looking for the connections instead of tripping into them. The big bad is still mysterious but things are moving nicely.

Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.
BeanMeScot is online now   Reply With Quote