TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
slyone

how to transfer copyrighted video to computer

I haven't used this in a while but I transfer stuff to laptop then over to Ipod. I looked today and everything is copyrighted so it won't transfer(using I-Tunes). what up brother....
a bunch of S2ST's retired
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Not exactly a new topic, see this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=451107

Also search on key words "copy protection" -- many threads on this topic. It's a fact of digital cable, used by a growing number of cable systems.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
ajwees41

I don't think you can.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
slyone

man that sucks! I'm on Time Warner upstate NY.
a bunch of S2ST's retired
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

There's a TiVo support page on the issue. TiVo is just following the rules set forth in the DFAST and CableCARD licensing agreements which they had to sign in order to manufacture products with CableCARD interfaces.

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
jcthorne

There are two ways around the problem and one permanent solution.

The Tivo HD is hackable to get around it. Not for discussion here but it exists.

2nd method involves an HD tuner card with analog component video inputs, essentially recording the tivo output, in real time.

The permanent solution is to tell Time Warner what you think of thier heavy hand in copy protection of media you paid for use of and leave. Cut the cord. I did, and if many more do, they will change thier ways or die.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
There are two ways around the problem and one permanent solution.

The Tivo HD is hackable to get around it. Not for discussion here but it exists.

2nd method involves an HD tuner card with analog component video inputs, essentially recording the tivo output, in real time.

The permanent solution is to tell Time Warner what you think of thier heavy hand in copy protection of media you paid for use of and leave. Cut the cord. I did, and if many more do, they will change thier ways or die.
How is this the fault of TW? If Fox (or any other rights owner) requires copy protection, should TW just thumb their nose at them and allow free copying? It seems to me anybody owning rights to programming should have the right to use whatever legal security measures they deem fit and as consumers we have the right to not purchase the programming. Technology exists and laws permit its use and I sure don't see how using it will cause TW to die, more likely not using it will. I am OTA and streaming only but I sure have no complaints with TiVo or any cable company for using or honoring copy protection when it is appropriate and legal and required by the rights owner.

The best business decision may be to just allow free copying and transfer among various devices but it isn't my decision to make, it is the company owning the rights to the property that should get to make those decisions.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Only problem with that, TW liberally applies the copy protection even if the content owner doesn't request it.
I'd bet 80% of the channels don't request that their programming be copy protected.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
....... The permanent solution is to tell Time Warner what you think of thier heavy hand in copy protection of media you paid for use of and leave. Cut the cord. I did, and if many more do, they will change thier ways or die.
First, it isn't just TWC doing this although they are the worst.

More important, this is no solution at all. TiVo digital cable subscribers are less than 1% of their digital customers and realistically you're never going to get most of them to cut the cord, i.e., there is no leverage.

There is a major thread buried on this forum somewhere that involved a letter-writing (actually email writing) campaign on this. All it netted was legalese from TWC saying in essence: it's legal for us to do this -- we're doing it -- and we're not telling you whether it's because our programmers require it. <insert cartoon>beating a dead horse</insert cartoon>.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
en sabur nur

Use the second method suggested:

The only way to LEGALLY achieve the result you want. No letter-writing needed.
en sabur nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by en sabur nur View Post
Use the second method suggested:

The only way to LEGALLY achieve the result you want. No letter-writing needed.
By CableCARD licensing TiVo is required to apply analog copy control signals to analog video output; the DMCA requires recording equipment to recognize and obey those signals.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 06-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
How is this the fault of TW? If Fox (or any other rights owner) requires copy protection, should TW just thumb their nose at them and allow free copying?
Most cable channels don't request protection. In fact, I have Comcast an nothing is protected. Friends who have HBO, or other pay channels say those channels are protected.

Fox is not the OP's issue, TW is.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
Most cable channels don't request protection. In fact, I have Comcast an nothing is protected. Friends who have HBO, or other pay channels say those channels are protected.
When people complained to Comcast about wanton channel protection early in the post digital-cable-agreement era, Comcast enacted a corporate-wide policy of only applying copy-one-gen protection to channels whose providers explicitly required it. Of course, HBO is one such channel.

If you ask me, the FCC should require a filed request for copy protection from the programming provider prior to the cable companies being allowed to apply the codes.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 06-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
lpwcomp

Quote:
I thought this only worked with the original TiVo Series 3 (model TCD648250), not the TiVo HD.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
How is this the fault of TW? If Fox (or any other rights owner) requires copy protection, should TW just thumb their nose at them and allow free copying? It seems to me anybody owning rights to programming should have the right to use whatever legal security measures they deem fit and as consumers we have the right to not purchase the programming. Technology exists and laws permit its use and I sure don't see how using it will cause TW to die, more likely not using it will. I am OTA and streaming only but I sure have no complaints with TiVo or any cable company for using or honoring copy protection when it is appropriate and legal and required by the rights owner.

The best business decision may be to just allow free copying and transfer among various devices but it isn't my decision to make, it is the company owning the rights to the property that should get to make those decisions.
Do any content owners request copy protection? Verizon FIOS doesn't protect anything. Are they just ignoring the content owners? Somehow I think they are not and the content owners simply aren't requesting copy protection. Given the fact that some cable companies copy protect nearly every channel, I am doubtful of your claims.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
If you ask me, the FCC should require a filed request for copy protection from the programming provider prior to the cable companies being allowed to apply the codes.
AMEN! Preach on, brotha!

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Do any content owners request copy protection? Verizon FIOS doesn't protect anything. Are they just ignoring the content owners? Somehow I think they are not and the content owners simply aren't requesting copy protection. Given the fact that some cable companies copy protect nearly every channel, I am doubtful of your claims.
I believe that the premium subscription channels do. There's a FAQ entry on HBO's site about their use of CGMS-A analog output protection and I assume that their attitude is the same about their digital content. I'd be surprised if the others didn't have similar policies.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
mattack

Quote:
How is this the fault of TW?
It is at least *partly* TW's fault since they apparently copy protect many channels that are not required to be copy protected by the copyright owners (i.e. the channels themselves).

I don't have a citation, but I think there was a discussion here years ago where someone actually got a channel to officially say that they didn't want copy protection. I don't remember what became of it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #19
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Can't disagree with that. Excellent suggestion.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
takeshi

Quote:
How is this the fault of TW? If Fox (or any other rights owner) requires copy protection, should TW just thumb their nose at them and allow free copying?
As pointed out in other posts in this thread: not all channels do yet TW has the flag (allegedly) enabled on all channels. If Fox does require it then, yes, TW should comply. The key word is if. If Fox doesn't then TW shouldn't.

It's certainly possible that TW is like Comcast, only enabling the flag for providers like HBO that specify it. However, it seems unlikely that the OP would happen to only record shows with the flag enabled. Certainly possible...
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
If Fox does require it then, yes, TW should comply. The key word is if. If Fox doesn't then TW shouldn't.
Fox was just an example by another poster, the OP said "all channels."
That was the tip-off that TW was doing something wrong.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #22
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I used to know the FCC regs around the use of copy protection backwards and forwards but not so much anymore. I forget where the list of rules is for this but I think that cable providers aren't allowed to mark any rebroadcast of over-the-air television as copy protected. They can only use "Copy Never" protection of pay-per-view and VOD can apply "Copy One Generation" protection to everything else.

EDIT: I found the relevant regs: Code of Federal Regulations Title 47, Part 76.1904: Encoding rules for defined business models.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #23
thomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I thought this only worked with the original TiVo Series 3 (model TCD648250), not the TiVo HD.
The TiVo HD is also able to be hacked. Works great to allow multi-room viewing.
thomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
I believe that the premium subscription channels do. There's a FAQ entry on HBO's site about their use of CGMS-A analog output protection and I assume that their attitude is the same about their digital content. I'd be surprised if the others didn't have similar policies.
So is Verizon FIOS just ignoring them? I would think the premium channels would have a problem with that.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #25
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
So is Verizon FIOS just ignoring them? I would think the premium channels would have a problem with that.
I have no idea what the deal is with FiOS having everything copyable. FiOS represents 4 million of 58 million cable video customers nationwide plus who knows how many satellite customers. Maybe they're just letting them slide?

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 06-22-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #26
unitron

Quote:
I have no idea what the deal is with FiOS having everything copyable. FiOS represents 4 million of 58 million cable video customers nationwide plus who knows how many satellite customers. Maybe they're just letting them slide?
Is FiOS particularly affiliated with any content providers, the way a company descended from Time Magazine and Warner Brothers Studios could be said to be?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #27
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
The deal is that Verizon isn't a paranoid TWC, at least IMO.
I also see a lot of things Verizon does in FiOS because they're "the new kid" that the old CableCOs don't, like not insisting on pairing CableCARDs until recently, and even then making it painless.

Verizon doesn't have that monopoly mentality in FiOS, they know they're a choice, whereas the old school cable companies feel that you're lucky to have them around. It's amusing because it's exactly the opposite with Comcast and their phone service vs Verizon and in that instance Verizon is the bad egg.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #28
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
The deal is that Verizon isn't a paranoid TWC, at least IMO.
The question is not whether Verizon has less restrictive policies than TWC, but that, if HBO is requesting copy protection for their channels, which they're at rights to do, why is Verizon non-compliant with that request? It's probable that the FCC doesn't require that Verizon comply, but you'd think that HBO's carriage agreements with Verizon would.

Comcast adopted a national policy of not copy protecting anything except those channels whose providers requested it. Does anyone here with Comcast have any copy protected channels, and if so, which ones?

"
" -- hookbill
Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #29
unitron

Quote:
The question is not whether Verizon has less restrictive policies than TWC, but that, if HBO is requesting copy protection for their channels, which they're at rights to do, why is Verizon non-compliant with that request? It's probable that the FCC doesn't require that Verizon comply, but you'd think that HBO's carriage agreements with Verizon would.

Comcast adopted a national policy of not copy protecting anything except those channels whose providers requested it. Does anyone here with Comcast have any copy protected channels, and if so, which ones?
We aren't talking about slapping the anti-copy bit on premium channels like HBO but on stuff like the locals (NBC, ABC, etc) and on stuff full of commercials like TNT and USA.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #30
lrhorer

Quote:
How is this the fault of TW?
It is entirely their prerogative.

Quote:
If Fox (or any other rights owner) requires copy protection
If you mean Fox broadcasting, they cannot. By law, no OTA channel can be copy protected.

Quote:
should TW just thumb their nose at them and allow free copying?
By law they are perfectly free to do so, just like Verizon, Grande, and quite a few others do. Indeed, TWC didn't start copy protecting content until 2007.

Quote:
It seems to me anybody owning rights to programming should have the right to use whatever legal security measures they deem fit
It doesn't matter what seems right or wrong to you, the law says otherwise.

Quote:
I am OTA and streaming only but I sure have no complaints with TiVo or any cable company for using or honoring copy protection when it is appropriate and legal and required by the rights owner.
Again, by law, this is not the case. In any case, however, a number of broadcasters have publicly decreed they do not care to have their content protected, and the one (HDNet and HDNet Movies) who actually made a lack of copy protection a requirement of the contract was promptly dropped by TWC. What does that tell you?

Quote:
Bull pookey. The consumer has paid for the use of those products, and they should have the right to use them as they please, so long as they do not distribute or sell copies of the content or publicly display them without permission. It should be absolutely no business whatsoever of anyone, least of all a giant corporation, what someone does in the privacy of their own homes.

The bottom line here, though is in spite of what could, should or would be, the CATV company has 100% authority to set the CCI byte to any value below 0x03 for any regular broadcast channel other than a local broadcast channel. All local broadcast channels must be 0x00 (copy freely).
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote