TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
pmyers

Reality shows that are fake...spinoff thread

Somebody suggested a spinoff thread to discuss "reality shows" that might or might not be faked and to what extent.

Original thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=488700

Show's I've stopped watching due to being too fake:
Operation Repo
Hardcore Pawn
World's Worst Tenants
Flipped Off
Restraunt Stakeout
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Alfer
WOOSAH!

SyFy's Fact or Faked is borderline.

But I still get a kick out of watching the goofballs act like every "paranormal" case is supposedly real when 99% of the time it's just CG hoaxes.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
SyFy's Fact or Faked is borderline.

But I still get a kick out of watching the goofballs act like every "paranormal" case is supposedly real when 99% of the time it's just CG hoaxes.
I love that show. It's so bad it's good. I also like Lanisha.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Pawn Stars is also completely scripted, and obviously so. However, since they actually try to teach you something about the history around an item, I give them a pass.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
mrdazzo7

I pretty much can't watch any of the shows on TruTV, they're all completely staged. There's a show called "All Worked Up" about process servers, repo people, etc, and I know for a fact it's staged because one of the episodes was shot in a restaurant by my house... The owner's wife is in a comedy troupe and she and the producers worked out the whole storyline from start to finish... I'm sure every other show on the network is the same way. I tried to get into that "Bait Car" one but after about 10 minutes decided it too was fake so I didn't see the point.

"The Locator" was a big disappointment for me... I'm a sucker for those kinds of stories but I couldn't even get through a couple of episodes because I was too distracted by the epic staging going on. Conversations with six different camera angles, people walking up from behind as if it's a "surprise" yet you can tell there are three different cameras on them... If you have just a slight knowledge of film production, you can tell when something is staged vs not. I had other examples but it's been a while since I've watched that one.

"Undercover Boss"... I don't care what anyone says, there's no way that one isn't staged. Maybe the first season when no one knew what it was but there's no way they still get away with it after all this time, and so I'm leaning towards scripted. I can still watch it sometimes but that's always in the back of my head.

I liked the concept of "Secret Millionaire" but again, way too much staging. I guess I can buy that it's not scripted in the sense of the concept (millionaires posing as documentary filmmakers looking to find people to donate to) but it's staged in terms of production. In the episode I watched, the father and daughter are shown prancing around Newark NJ and basically stumbling upon causes to look into. Then they show up at these places, which conveniently already have cameras and lighting set up for their arrival... it's just pointless to me.

I never understood the "reality" genre... A lot of times they have awesome concepts that I think could actually be cool, but instead of actually doing them (which would be a million times more interesting), they just fake everything. Why not just have a concept and shoot it like a documentary (or closer to that format)--the material is there. Instead the put together this heavily edited, overly-staged crap.

No mi gusta!!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Lap of Luxury
Last Chance for Love
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
2004raptor

Gene Simmons family jewels
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
Why not just have a concept and shoot it like a documentary (or closer to that format)--the material is there. Instead the put together this heavily edited, overly-staged crap.
Documentaries are faked too. How many million kids grew up thinking that lemmings threw themselves over a cliff in mass suicide because of the Disney documentary "White Wilderness"?

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Archangel00

Ax Men
Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
"Undercover Boss"... I don't care what anyone says, there's no way that one isn't staged. ... No mi gusta!!
This show ("Undercover Boss") has the absolute WORST disguises possible, and most especially the most unbelievable WIGS!! How any person in real life could not do a double-take when someone walks up to them wearing those awful disguises, and then to treat them seriously ... Get Real!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Pawn Stars is also completely scripted, and obviously so. However, since they actually try to teach you something about the history around an item, I give them a pass.

--Carlos V.
To me the show is "produced" but I do believe actual business is being done and transactions are legit. I'm ok with that.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
To me the show is "produced" but I do believe actual business is being done and transactions are legit. I'm ok with that.
I'm fairly confident that many of the "transactions" are borrowed items from other auction houses with actors to play the part, or pre-bought items.

Plenty of people have caught them out providing proof of the people on screen either never owned them to begin with, or were actors with IMDB pages.

Google the term "Pawn Stars Scripted"

--Carlos V.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

A recent episode of American Pickers showed Mike and Frank buying a circus sideshow banner. Then they flashed back to a previous sideshow banner they had bought last season. In the flashback it showed the "expert" in NYC who valued it for them.

I now recognize that expert as Billy Leroy - one of the buyers on the new show Baggage Wars. In the pickers flashback, he wore an eye patch. On Baggage Wars, his vision must have gotten better because the eye patch is gone.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber

Last edited by scooterboy : 06-18-2012 at 11:47 PM.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
Barmat

House Hunters
House Hunters International

Producers hire couple that recently purchased a house. Then show them looking at three houses one of them being the one they bought. Then couple decides what house they like best. Surprise it's the one they already bought.
Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #15
Beryl

That is why I like Investigation Discovery offerings. We KNOW the segments are reenacted and the actors are probably exaggerating everything for dramatic effect.

"I can't with" most reality shows.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #16
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
A recent episode of American Pickers showed Mike and Frank buying a circus sideshow banner. Then they flashed back to a previous sideshow banner they had bought last season. In the flashback it showed the "expert" in NYC who valued it for them.

I now recognize that expert as Billy Leroy - one of the buyers on the new show Baggage Wars. In the pickers flashback, he wore an eye patch. On Baggage Wars, his vision must have gotten better because the eye patch is gone.
I'm not saying that either of these shows isn't faked in this instance, but he could have had a temporary medical condition that needed a patch for a time, no? Now, perhaps it could have have been a bandage-type patch instead of a pirate-type patch if it was temporary, but you never know.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #17
RonDawg

Quote:
"Undercover Boss"... I don't care what anyone says, there's no way that one isn't staged. Maybe the first season when no one knew what it was but there's no way they still get away with it after all this time, and so I'm leaning towards scripted. I can still watch it sometimes but that's always in the back of my head.
I happened to catch an episode filmed in the UK that featured the boss of a power company. One of his employees asked him point-blank if he was faking his identity. The boss finally admitted to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel00 View Post
Ax Men
I don't think all of it is faked, and the earlier episodes I believe are genuine, but the recent ones involving Rygaard are definitely faked. Craig's intense dislike of Dave is more than just a sideshow, it is a safety hazard (which the show does depict quite well).

At the beginning of last season, am I really supposed to believe that Gabe's "accidental" felling of a tree right on top of Dave's car was genuine? And that the cameras just happened to be set up to capture all the best possible angles?
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #18
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

I was flipping through and stopped on Ax Men for a few minutes. Flipped away again after a similar scene to what RonDawg described of a well captured accident with a Wilhelm Scream.

Come on. Not only did the producers strain credulity with the heavy coincidence of the camera pointing the right place at the right time, but to foley in the most recognizable stock sound effect in the history of foley artistry just puts the icing on the "staged" arguments.

Haven't sought out Ax Men ever again, even when I'm bored.

--Carlos V.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Gene Simmons family jewels
I agree. It was great the first season then it became all scripted and is terrible. Which is a shame because I follow them all on twitter and they could carry the show without the scripting.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
jjd_87

If its on Tru Tv its fake.

*Unless its a rerun of COPS or NCCA March Madness.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
sieglinde

Black Gold was fake but I watched it because I found it interesting. I mean would a bunch of Texans all be drinking the same brand of beer at a party. (I figured the sponsor supplied the beer but it was fairly fake towards the end.)
Old 06-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #22
pmyers

What's said is that these "producers" are ruining the entire genre for me and our going to burn their industry down if people stop watching because everything is fake.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #23
mwhip
All better

I think even to a degree things like Duck Dynasty are staged. Like the producers put people into a situation to see the dynamics happen. It's like throwing a feral cat in with a pit bull something is going to happen.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #24
sharkster

What about Mystery Diner? It's pretty much the same show as Restaurant Stakeout. Apparently the buzz is that it is faked also. Bummer! I like these kinds of shows but I don't appreciate being duped.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #25
stahta01
Simple Member

NBC News
Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #26
squigy0
Internet DJ & Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmat View Post
House Hunters
House Hunters International

Producers hire couple that recently purchased a house. Then show them looking at three houses one of them being the one they bought. Then couple decides what house they like best. Surprise it's the one they already bought.
Wow, this one's a surprise to me. We did always find it kind of bizarre that they only looked at 3 houses, but then just dismissed it figuring it was all in the editing, and they simply showed the "3 best"

How do you know about this?
squigy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #27
nickels
opinionated dope

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
What about Mystery Diner? It's pretty much the same show as Restaurant Stakeout. Apparently the buzz is that it is faked also. Bummer! I like these kinds of shows but I don't appreciate being duped.
I'm torn on this one.... My wife said the episode that she watched was ridiculous. The one I saw seemed legit. I meant to look up the names of the people and their restaurants to see if they were real.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #28
mwhip
All better

Kitchen Nightmares

In the UK the show was great for the first couple years. Not overly produced and Ramsay was not in "Ramsay" mode. He was actually knowledgeable and helpful. Making people sell their cars to buy new equipment or sitting with them and showing them how to run their finances.

Then it came to the US...totally over produced and he had to get into Ramsay mode and yell at people. Plus they had sponsors who gave these restaurant owners all new equipment. It was terrible in the US.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #29
moetown

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigy0 View Post
Wow, this one's a surprise to me. We did always find it kind of bizarre that they only looked at 3 houses, but then just dismissed it figuring it was all in the editing, and they simply showed the "3 best"

How do you know about this?
It came out last week.
moetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #30
cheesesteak
Meh.

Bikini Barbershop is so fake but at least the girls are wearing bikinis.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote