TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
jirrera

Arrow S-P-S-Pause-S No Longer Works

As of a few days ago, I can't seem to toggle on the fast disappear of the Play bar using the Select-Play-Select-Pause-Select code on my remote. Also the banner ads I was getting on pause no longer display. Anyone else seeing this issue? (I'm not missing the banner ads.)
jirrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Restart?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
jirrera

S-P-S-Pause-S No Longer Works

Done that several times. I even removed the batteries from the remote and reinstalled them.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Are you trying to enter the code 'on the fly' in Live TV? That could be your problem.

From what I understand, you must start by playing a previously recorded program.
Next, hit 'pause' and then the 'down arrow'.
After you do that, try entering the code. If successful, you will hear the 3 dings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
teasip

I can't get it to work either off a recorded program, and I've tried it off/on for a couple of years (TiVo HD).
teasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
jirrera

I resolved the issue. I had to find a recorded show with banner ads. In this case "30 Rock". I was watching the recording, hit pause and there was the banner ad above Play Bar. I then clicked down on the cursor wheel and the ad disappeared. Then I hit "Play" again and with the recording running hit S-P-S-Pause-S and heard the happy sound of 3 tones indicating a successful reconfig.
No idea why this issue occurred in the first place. Perhaps a TiVo update?
Old 08-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
teasip

I concur with jirrera, I was able to pause a program (not recording) with a banner ad above the bar, press "down" the cursor wheel, and then go through the sequence with the desired result. Thanks for posting the resolution!
teasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
TerpBE
Go Terps!

So how do you find a show that has banner ads? For some reason they're gone on every show I've checked so far.

I'm starting to get a feeling that they might be doing away with the banner ads. Unfortunately, a side effect of this would be that we can no longer do SPS-pause-S.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Would that be channels which contain commercials?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
TerpBE
Go Terps!

I was able to find some shows with banner ads on my TivoHD, but I can't find any on my Premier.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Ok, I got the banner ads back after a reboot.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
jiffyspam

This particular configuration goes away after a restart. Annoying, but true.

Thankfully, the 30 second skip stays put if the unit restarts.
jiffyspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffyspam View Post
Thankfully, the 30 second skip stays put if the unit restarts.
Not on any Tivo I've got (Series 1, 2DT, and 3HD).
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
jjsdfs

Smile Thanks for solution TiVo ites!

After days of waiting and occasional searching for a pop up ad, finally got one on CBS Sunday Morning. Grabbed the chance and did arrow down, them SPS pause select as documented by earlier post. Now can watch US Open, MLB NFL in peace!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
TerpBE
Go Terps!

I think I found a solution - I'm not sure if it's something new or not. If you aren't getting pop-up ads, it also works if you press "Info" while watching a show to bring up the show information. When that window is up, S-P-S-Pause-S works (or at least it does on my Premier).
Old 10-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #16
steve614
what ru lookin at?

^^^^^

Confirmed! Works on my TivoHD as well.

Great find!

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #17
moonscape

Thanks TerpBE!! All's now right with the world ... TY TY
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #18
KRT

I've been having the same problem lately, but this solution doesn't work (Series 3 with two cable cards). When I hit 'Info' then hit 'Select' it brings up a banner asking if I want to 'Record' this show. This is VERY irritating, it just started in the past few weeks.
KRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #19
dwit

Even another way!

Go to "Showcases" from Tivo Central. Play a "movie clip" from any of the ads(that has a movie clip).

While the movie clip is playing, enter the s-p-s-pause-select code. You should hear the dings signaling activation.

Most, if not all of the banner ads are just links to these showcase movie clips.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #20
worachj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRT View Post
I've been having the same problem lately, but this solution doesn't work (Series 3 with two cable cards). When I hit 'Info' then hit 'Select' it brings up a banner asking if I want to 'Record' this show. This is VERY irritating, it just started in the past few weeks.
I got it to work on my S3 by hitting 'Info' and then moving down to the CC section and then doing the 'S-P-S-Pause-S'.
worachj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #21
KRT

The showcase solution didn't work either, but I finally had a program show the info banner and I was able to hit the 'down' arrow to clear the banner, then the SPSPauseS worked. It's fine now, but I have to reboot this thing at least once a week so I'm sure it will happen again.
KRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #22
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Go to "Showcases" from Tivo Central. Play a "movie clip" from any of the ads(that has a movie clip).

While the movie clip is playing, enter the s-p-s-pause-select code. You should hear the dings signaling activation.

Most, if not all of the banner ads are just links to these showcase movie clips.
Yes, this has been the only sure fire way for me to enter SPSPS code and have it work for both my Premieres. There's been a couple of occasions though with nothing in showcases though so it's a good method but not 100% available.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #23
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
I got it to work on my S3 by hitting 'Info' and then moving down to the CC section and then doing the 'S-P-S-Pause-S'.
I'll have to try that method next time, thanks.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #24
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRT View Post
Try it while watching a recorded show. It shouldn't ask if you want to record it (since you did already).
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #25
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

How to Hide the Progress Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
press "Info" while watching a show
Pressing "Info" can cause problems when you press Select in the SPS code (it will select the highlighted info item and terminate the SPS procedure), so instead I pressed Right until just the Channel Banner is shown without the large info frame then Select-Play-Select-Pause-Select before the banner disappears in about 4 seconds.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #26
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post

I just discovered this issue where the S-P-S-P-S code no longer works after a reboot (it hasn't rebooted in over a year) so i tried to find an old recording from my NPL that had the "Get More Info" message upon pausing, but none of my recordings have this. I've been using S-P-S-P-S so long that i didn't realize that the Get More Info banner no longer exists LOL.

Then i saw the Showcases method mentioned and it worked for me using Rob Zombie's Woolite Commercial under Showcases. But in my case i did not get the dings sound so i thought it didn't work, but it did indeed work. I have the Bloop Bloop noise deactivated so maybe that's why.

But the bottom line is that i was able to restore S-P-S-P-S on my S3 using the Showcase method. Just posting this in this old thread to let S3 owners know that it works on more than just the Premiere.

Series3 w/500GB, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Panasonic TC-P50GT50, URC R40 Remote, , Onkyo 605 AVR
randywalters is offline   Reply With Quote