TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
gwar11d2

Can't complete guided setup (S308)

Been struggling with this a while. I have two Premier units. One is working fine, and the other just isn't cooperating. Spend hours on the phone w/ Tivo, and they can't figure it out and submitted a 'ticket' for me. Still no call back from tivo, etc.

Background:
1 Lifetime Service Tivo. Was having some issues the past few weeks with it saying it couldn't reach tivo service.
2 Did a manual connect and it connected fine, no failures
3 Did a port test, no failures.
4 Tivo is direct connected to router, and I did do a location swap with the working tivo.

Out of desperation, I did a Clear and Delete everything. I go through guided setup and everything seems to go ok, until the last step of the Guided setup where it goes to Verify. It errors out and does the S308.

I tried with OTA only, Cable Only, Cable and Antenna, same result each time.

I'm beginning to think it could be some hardware issue, but I don't know where to begin. I do not use a cable card, and i would be happy if I could just get this one to do OTA.

Any suggestions? I've literally done every network troubleshooting I can with Tivo support and myself. I'm confident it isn't a home network issue since the other identical Tivo has no issues at all.

Thanks!

Last edited by gwar11d2; 08-25-2015 at 01:41 PM. Reason: spell correction
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
Teeps

Try connecting the troubled tivo to the cable modem?

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
gwar11d2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Try connecting the troubled tivo to the cable modem?
Yes. No luck there either.

Thinking about calling Tivo and having them remove the tivo from the account and then re-add it.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
omarc

I am in the exact situation as you are. One mini works, the other does not. After a week of Tivo support and waiting the mandatory 24 hours, they recommended that I swap it out for a new one. Called Tivo to swap out the TSN's and if reflected immediately online. During the final step of Guided Setup the new one still fails on verifying. So frustrating.

omarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
omarc

Found my problem. There was a 2-2150MHZ splitter left over from my Directv install. I removed the splitter and the second mini worked immediately.

omarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Try in the Settings, network, settings options (you may need to go through the network setup again), set the DNS and Gateway servers to your router's IP address (usually 192.168.1.1).

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and start streaming!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
gwar11d2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Try in the Settings, network, settings options (you may need to go through the network setup again), set the DNS and Gateway servers to your router's IP address (usually 192.168.1.1).
I had previously manually set IP and DNS/GW. Still no luck.

I had found a bug report on Tivo's site in 'support articles' for this, but I can't view it due to insufficient permissions.

I'll have to call up Tivo again tomorrow. They gave me a reference code so hope I don't have to go through the whole troubleshooting steps again.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:32 AM   #8
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

there's another recent thread (from tivo.com):

Quote:
During Guided Setup, the TiVo device attempts to connect to the TiVo Service to get location- and device-specific information to be able to configure the device correctly. The S308 error indicates that the device is unable to connect and authenticate with the TiVo Service to complete Guided Setup.

Follow these steps to address the S308 error:
  1. Ensure that your TiVo device is activated by going to your account on tivo.com. Choose "Sign In." When you are successfully signed in, you will find a list of your active devices.
  2. If your device is not in the active device list, go to tivo.com/activate or contact TiVo Support to activate the device.
  3. Wait for 3 hours after activating the device. Then, go to your account at tivo.com (see Step 1) and confirm that the device appears in the active device list.
  4. After verifying that the device is active on your account, power it down by unplugging the power cord from the wall.
  5. Ensure that your network cables are correctly connected to the back of the device, then plug in the power cord again.
  6. Begin Guided Setup. If you encounter the error again, retry Guided Setup one more time to make sure that you haven't experienced a transient (temporary) problem connecting to the TiVo Service.

If all troubleshooting steps fail to resolve the issue, contact TiVo Support for assistance.
have you verified the box is activated/registered?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #9
gwar11d2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
there's another recent thread (from tivo.com):

have you verified the box is activated/registered?
It shows activated on my account since 2012. Lifetime service as well.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
gwar11d2

So, tivo is shipping me a new unit for a small fee. Not too shabby!