Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman30 View Post
Or is this a Roamio only thing?
I got it on my premiere yesterday.

xander777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #4
ginmn

Plex works on Premiere DVRs

also got Plex on XL4 yesterday. Creating a shared folder is pretty straight forward.

Channels are said to be included in an update later

Last edited by ginmn; 06-09-2015 at 04:55 PM.
ginmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
ginmn

Plex from old iMac to Premiere XL4

Plex is working great. They need to add "channels" feature. It would be nice to have a better rewind / fast forward ability as well as "chapters" which are part of the movie encode.

Using a very old iMac6,1 ~ 2007 a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo, maxed 4GB ram, Nvidia 7600 GT w/256MB, Wifi 802.11n, the old white 24" iMac

Plex streaming two different movies through a Premiere XL4 (one stream to the Premiere XL4 Tv the other stream to a MOCA connected Gen 1 Tivo Mini) with no quality issues or delays. The iMac CPU was not happy, but the system didn't hang with other basic activity (email or web).

1080P movie quality. Via both old old iMac & new super Mac Pro

On the old iMac:
Single movie network stream max out at 1.00 MB/s on the LAN
Two movie network stream max out at 2.02 MB/s on the LAN
CPU History shows what happened when one stream was stopped, then both.

There is no need to show the Mac Pro "trash can" this super video monster was able to stream to all Tivo's in the LAN plus run solid works in Parallels.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPU History.jpg (48.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: png Dual Movie Stream Plex to Tivo.png (74.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: png Single Movie Stream Plex to Tivo.png (69.6 KB, 11 views)
ginmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #6
ajwees41

can't figure out if there is a way to keep the settings changed. my network is not fast enough for the optimal settings, but going to 3Mbps works fine, but exiting the app reverts back to 4Mbps

ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
philw1776

Installed on my MAC
logged in & connected
Select iPhoto
Get The server has no content yet
However I see my iPhotos on the plea app on the MAC
and MAC program sees the TiVo

philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I've been tinkering with Plex just to see what the new stuff is and what it does. Plex is actually useful at obtaining and organizing movies, tv shows, pictures, and music. It's particularly good at obtaining metadata to match if you name your files in the way Plex suggests. It took me a while to figure out you have three places to login to get it all to work after getting "no server" errors on the Tivo and my computer even after I had installed the server on my computer. The thing kept telling me to install a server at every turn and I had to go online to their troubleshooter to figure out there was more places I had to login. Once it worked, it worked great. High megabit video files are going to choke on your network when they first start playing until enough of a buffer builds up. Most files play smoothly. Love having the metadata for all the music and video. Controls not always obvious especially when trying to go backwards a step, but the skip back button seems to be the way to do it.

Anyway, decent stuff and worth the effort to screw with to get working properly. Very nice organization of your media library. Thanks Tivo.

dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
a_gizmo

Other than the slow interface (which is inherent with using a Premiere in general), I'm impressed with the Plex support after using it for a day. I tested several DVD backups made using Handbrake and had no issues streaming. Plex didn't have to transcode them so the CPU load was low. A high quality backup of a Bluray required transcoding, but a normal quality backup did not. I will need to work on library organization if I want to keep using Plex and come up with a machine to run it full time. Right now my media server is an old PowerMac G5 running Ubuntu 14.04. The Plex client is open source, but the server application is not. I'm also happy to see the TiVo client didn't require a PlexPass subscription like the Xbox One and other smart TVs.

a_gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
OPTX158

Plex is such a great application that everyone should be purchasing the plex pass in order to show support for the application. With that said, I am glad that is not required.

OPTX158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #11
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I did not know it did transcoding too. What is the native format to use when making media files for it?

dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
Tapper69

Loading the PLEX interface is snail slow on my Tivo Premier connected via MoCA. Then navigating the interface is slow but video from my 2009 MacPro plays fine. If I can't tolerate the slow loading PLEX module and dog slow FWD/BACK then I may revert to using pytivo which has run wonderfully well the past few years.

Tapper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:44 PM   #13
f4phantomii

Does anyone have a working profile for Plex for the Tivo Premiere?

I run Plex on my Synology NAS DS214play. It has an Evansport CPU with transcoding hardware built-in.

Obviously the TiVo Plex client doesn't know to use the hardware transcoder.

I was thinking I need a custom Plex client for the Tivo in order to force the ffmpeg options that will use the hardware transcoder.

Has anyone else done this? Without the hardware transcoder, anything in 1080p that it tries to transcode to 720p for the Premiere just hammers the CPU and it can't keep up.

f4phantomii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #14
tjrc

It looks like the Tivo Plex client does not support channels, right? You can only play stuff streamed from the server on your PC?

It seems like Plex (on Tivo) doesn't get you anything that streambaby doesn't; is that accurate? (I'm just starting to play with both today.)

I'm using the Tivo Premiere.

Last edited by tjrc; 08-23-2015 at 05:14 PM. Reason: add "I'm using the Tivo Premiere"
tjrc is offline   Reply With Quote