TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
unitron

$75 2TB Seagate at BestBuy

Putting this in coffee house due to time sensitive nature.

The ST320005N4A1AS-RK, on sale through Saturday, 11/05/11 at BestBuy, and bestbuy.com, was apparently the ST32000542AS previously, a non-advanced format drive from what I could find online.

That was what I was hoping for.

Just picked up a couple.

It's now the ST2000DL003, and Seagate sort of admits that it's an advanced format drive.

(I'm amazed at how hard drive makers are working at keeping you from finding out if a drive is advanced format or not. You'd think they'd plaster it all over the box in big letters--New, Improved, Now with Advanced Formatting, Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread!

Guess they're hoping to snag a lot of XP users who won't want to hassle with returning them)

Going to put one of them through the long diagnostic and try jmfs'ing a 160GB S3 HD drive to it.

newegg's got the bare drive listed for over $200, limit 3 per customer.

The ones I got say Product of China, with a manufacturing date of 06/11 and 07/11

They come with a SATA data cable and a Molex to SATA power adapter.

More when I know more.

Edit, 11:25pm EDT

I've got an HD (TCD652160) I just acquired with the stock drive set to do GS (Just now got the caps in the mail and fixed the power supply).

I used jmfs to copy without expanding to the Seagate and it boots to the GS page.

Used jmfs to expand and it still boots to the GS page.

I'm not going to actually subscribe that 652 just yet, so can't test recording and playback.

Haven't tried it to see how it gets along with XP yet, I think that'll be next.

And of course I'll run the long test before I put it (and the other one--at that price I grabbed 2) wherever I actually decide to use it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 11-03-2011 at 10:31 PM.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
mattack

ARGH, I should have ordered it yesterday. Now it's unavailable at all stores I could get to (ship to store). I almost ordered it yesterday, to get at a Best Buy I would be going near today, but they had no way to change the pick up date as far as I could tell.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Putting this in coffee house due to time sensitive nature.

The ST320005N4A1AS-RK, on sale through Saturday, 11/05/11 at BestBuy, and bestbuy.com, was apparently the ST32000542AS previously, a non-advanced format drive from what I could find online.

Thanks!! I didn't know they were on sale. With Hard Drive prices shooting Sky High from the Thailand floods we won't see prices like this for a while.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
ARGH, I should have ordered it yesterday. Now it's unavailable at all stores I could get to (ship to store). I almost ordered it yesterday, to get at a Best Buy I would be going near today, but they had no way to change the pick up date as far as I could tell.
Is your zip code 94085, give or take about 5?

'cause it's showing me a bunch of stores they can ship to in that area.

Of course I don't know how bad traffic is there.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Is your zip code 94085, give or take about 5?

'cause it's showing me a bunch of stores they can ship to in that area.

Of course I don't know how bad traffic is there.
It was showing a bunch of stores here that it could ship to. But when I tried to select each store it came up with a red strip that said "We're sorry, this item is no longer available".

Luckily there was one store near my Girlfriends church that still had some stock. I just need to stop by this weekend when I go over to her house. Although now I'll need to go to mass with her Saturday evening.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It was showing a bunch of stores here that it could ship to. But when I tried to select each store it came up with a red strip that said "We're sorry, this item is no longer available".

Luckily there was one store near my Girlfriends church that still had some stock. I just need to stop by this weekend when I go over to her house. Although now I'll need to go to mass with her Saturday evening.
So you've already paid for it and they're holding it for you?

If you're sure it's what you want, you might want to get a second one at that price while you can, if only because if one's bad out of the box the other one likely won't be, and with the way prices are going you can likely sell the spare on Craigslist as new except for exhaustively tested (run the long diganostic on both) for $100 or more in a couple of weeks.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
So you've already paid for it and they're holding it for you?

If you're sure it's what you want, you might want to get a second one at that price while you can, if only because if one's bad out of the box the other one likely won't be, and with the way prices are going you can likely sell the spare on Craigslist as new except for exhaustively tested (run the long diganostic on both) for $100 or more in a couple of weeks.
I ordered three and got the "ready for pickup" emails. The only reason I ordered them was to sell them in a few weeks when all the prices have almost tripled. I didn't get them for my TiVos. The profit can go toward Christmas presents.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I must be out of touch... what's an advanced format drive?

Edit: Oh, it's a marketing name for large-sector drives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I must be out of touch... what's an advanced format drive?

Edit: Oh, it's a marketing name for large-sector drives.
From practically the start of DOS until a couple of years ago, hard drives were marked off in 512 byte sectors (actually it's something like 579, or 593, or some oddball number, but that's including the "this sector starts here" bytes, the "this sector ends here" bytes, the "this is the number of this sector" bytes, and some other overhead/housekeeping, in addition to the 512 that's actually available to the OS to write data to.

Once you get to a hair above 2TB, the number of sectors exceeds the number which that scheme can keep track of, so they've got a new scheme that replaces the Master Boot Record and partition tables with something else that can handle larger numbers, and it increases the size of each sector to 8 times 512, or 4 binary thousand, i.e., 4K

That's "advanced format".

In order to maintain backwards compatibility with stuff older than Windows Vista, and some older versions of Linux, and I guess older versions of whatever Apple runs, the drives have to be able to lie to the computer or to the OS or maybe both.

How they go about doing that lying, and, I suspect, how well it works out not losing your data-wise, seems to vary from one brand of drive to the next.

WD has either a jumper or some special software, and Seagate says it's all built into their drives.

Until now, I've managed (with some difficulty thanks to manufacturers doing their best to obscure which drive has it and which one doesn't, and changing which actual model they put in the same part number box or external enclosure) to avoid buying any non 512 byte sector drives.

We'll see how this goes.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
davecharlson

Quote:
Thanks!! I didn't know they were on sale. With Hard Drive prices shooting Sky High from the Thailand floods we won't see prices like this for a while.
I bought a 2TB drive for my Tivo HD upgrade a week ago for $99. I thought about doing the same for my Tivo S3, but the same hard drive is now $199!
davecharlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecharlson View Post
I bought a 2TB drive for my Tivo HD upgrade a week ago for $99. I thought about doing the same for my Tivo S3, but the same hard drive is now $199!
AFAIK, the S3 cannot be (self)upgraded to 2 TB like the Tivo HD. Aftermarket outfitters like weaknees, etc. have the resources and wherewithal to prepare/sell 2 TB drives for the S3, but their methods are secrets, at this time.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
lyee

I've got the 1Tb version of this drive (ST1000DL003) and I was able to get it to work in my TivoHD using jmfs and winmfs. However, it has a problem where it powers off or goes to sleep mode after a period of time and the Tivo is completely unresponsive when using the remote control. Does anyone know of a utility that can disable this power saving feature similiar to wdidle3.exe on the WD drives?
lyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyee View Post
I've got the 1Tb version of this drive (ST1000DL003) and I was able to get it to work in my TivoHD using jmfs and winmfs. However, it has a problem where it powers off or goes to sleep mode after a period of time and the Tivo is completely unresponsive when using the remote control. Does anyone know of a utility that can disable this power saving feature similiar to wdidle3.exe on the WD drives?
(AFAIK)A hard drive never really has an opportunity to go into sleep mode as as long as the Tivo is on. It is always/continuously recording about 30 minutes of buffered programming(for each tuner).

Something else must be going on, and this doesn't seem to be posted on here as a common issue. Granted, one doesn't read a whole lot on Seagate drive use here(afaik).

How long have you been using this Seagate drive? Has the Tivo been malfunctioning from the day you installed it? Have you run any diagnostics on the Seagate drive? Do you have the original(and functioning) Tivo hard drive to help confirm the Seagate drive is the issue? Tried exchanging the seagate drive where purchased?

Drive does this after both winmfs and jmfs?

Sorry if it reads like I'm grillin". Just trying to help.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
lyee

I've done drive upgrades on S2/S3's in the past without any problems but I had always used a recommended HD; unfortunately, this one is not on the list. I originally bought it to upgrade a PC during a Newegg sale but decided to try it on a newly acquired TivoHD that wasn't in a quiet environment.
To isolate the root cause, I put in the original HD for a few days and it works fine. I then swapped power supplies with a backup TivoHD and the unit experienced no problems over a few days. Once I put in the Seagate drive, the unresponsive behavior returned within one day.
I guess I'll run diagnostics just in case it is a defective drive. My thought is that there's probably something related to it being a "green" drive or the advanced format compatibility.
lyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #15
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyee View Post
I've done drive upgrades on S2/S3's in the past without any problems but I had always used a recommended HD; unfortunately, this one is not on the list. I originally bought it to upgrade a PC during a Newegg sale but decided to try it on a newly acquired TivoHD that wasn't in a quiet environment.
To isolate the root cause, I put in the original HD for a few days and it works fine. I then swapped power supplies with a backup TivoHD and the unit experienced no problems over a few days. Once I put in the Seagate drive, the unresponsive behavior returned within one day.
I guess I'll run diagnostics just in case it is a defective drive. My thought is that there's probably something related to it being a "green" drive or the advanced format compatibility.
The "recommended drive list" is obsolete and virtually meaningless, as far as currently manufactured drives are concerned(imo).

If the original drive works fine, the issue most likely is with the drive. If you could exchange or RMA, that probably is the thing to do.

Although since you are running a diagnostic, see if there are tools to "turn off power saving". If so, that would be welcome news here.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #16
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I ordered three and got the "ready for pickup" emails. The only reason I ordered them was to sell them in a few weeks when all the prices have almost tripled. I didn't get them for my TiVos. The profit can go toward Christmas presents.
One viewpoint:
Shameless profiteering and gouging. An example of what's wrong with capitalism and why we need government to regulate it to death!

Other viewpoint:
Thanks for providing a useful "arbitrage" function to the HDD marketplace. Because of you, there will be three more HDD's on the market in a few weeks, which will decrease the price of them slightly at a time when that is really needed.

Personally, I like the second viewpoint.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #17
Worf

... Or I has a consumer, who refuse to pay more than $100 for a 2TB drive, will simply wait for drive prices to come back down again, thus lowering demand for said hard drives and lowering the prices further still.

After all, I've lived without them for so long, what's another few weeks? Also helps knowing that the holiday season tends to inflate prices anyhow.

Or that there'll be Black Friday deals.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
... Or I has a consumer, who refuse to pay more than $100 for a 2TB drive, will simply wait for drive prices to come back down again, thus lowering demand for said hard drives and lowering the prices further still.

After all, I've lived without them for so long, what's another few weeks? Also helps knowing that the holiday season tends to inflate prices anyhow.

Or that there'll be Black Friday deals.
The Seagate sale ended Saturday (11/05/11), but apparently BestBuy has the WD20EACS (16MB cache, advanced format) Caviar Green for $80 or $90 just now.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

I had two different Seagate drives that they gave me. A Barracuda Green and a Barracuda LP. One had 32MB of cache and one had 64MB of cache. Both had the same model number listed on the box. I guess I need to open the box and verify what is in there.

Last edited by aaronwt : 11-08-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: spelling doH!!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #20
Dpordy99

My seaggate died 6 months after owning it
Dpordy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpordy99 View Post
I'm using around twenty five of the 2TB Seagates in my unRAID and WHS. So far they have been fine in the the ten to twelve months since I installed them.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #22
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I'm using around twenty five of the 2TB Seagates in my unRAID and WHS. So far they have been fine in the the ten to twelve months since I installed them.
LOL! Do you call your house "home" or "the server farm"?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #23
Dpordy99

Quote:
These were external hard drives. All of the sudden they died
Dpordy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #24
atmuscarella

Quote:
All hard drives dye. Just some last longer than others, it really is just luck if any individual one is going to last longer or shorter than the average.

I just had a Hitachi go after 5 months someone else was complaining the drive in their Premiere just died (under warranty) which would be a Western Digital. Others can tell you about drives going strong after many years.

There have been bad batches of drives in the past (think IBM) but I am unaware of anyone identify any currently. The Seagate drives that best buy had on special came with a 5 year warranty which is as long as hard drive warranties get.

Thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #25
atmuscarella

Quote:
These were external hard drives. All of the sudden they died
If they were not replaced under warranty you might open the cases up and see if the drive died or the case went bad. I had a Western digital USB external go bad a few years back - it ended up being the case still have the drive and it works fine.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #26
Jeff_DML

so this week on sale is this drive, will this not work in a Premiere?

Quote:
Western Digital - Caviar Green 2TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+...=1218064150518

thanks
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #27
Jeff_DML

thinking about buying a premiere and trying to figure out if worth paying $100 for the 1TB premiere or just get the standard and upgrade the HDD to 2TB.

thanks
Old 11-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

thanks
THANKS!!! That's a few more I can get at a low price. I have alot of the older 2TB WD green drives in use, but I switched to Seagate a year ago for my storage servers.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #29
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

thanks
There's a separate thread about that drive

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=477585

which judging from the picture on the Best Buy site is the 16MB cache 3Gb/s, advanced format WD20EACS, but one poster seems to have gotten a 64MB cache, 3Gb/s, advanced format WD20EARS at that same price, waiting for him to post back the model number on the bottom of the box (which is not the same as the model number on the sticker on the drive itself).

Old 11-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #30
Jeff_DML

Quote:
There's a separate thread about that drive

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=477585

which judging from the picture on the Best Buy site is the 16MB cache 3Gb/s, advanced format WD20EACS, but one poster seems to have gotten a 64MB cache, 3Gb/s, advanced format WD20EARS at that same price, waiting for him to post back the model number on the bottom of the box (which is not the same as the model number on the sticker on the drive itself).
thanks