TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Tracy
Truly

Amazing Race Finale - 5/6/12

I think it ended as it should, but I wish I hadn't known in advance about the mess-up at the finish line.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
ElJay

Decent ending... I was really pleased to see Art eating dirt many times.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
etexlady

The winners certainly deserved it, IMO. I was pulling for them for the win.
etexlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Yep, I am happy with the ending they deserved it.

And yes it was pleasant to see Art keep falling off the sled.

I give Vanessa credit for sticking with the treadmill challenge and you could definitely see her ankle give out on a few of those falls.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Very strong team. Dave was worth rooting for, anyway.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

Again, the luck of the draw in choosing cab drivers was a major factor in the finishing line order.

We thought it was cool to see Taylor Wily from Hawaii 50 as an envelope hander-outer in the ice shaving challenge.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

The right team won, for sure. I don't recall a team ever failing at life so spectacularly in the final leg (Art & JJ) and still being in a position to win.

Seeing Brendon and Rachel implode was all kinds of spectacular.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
laria
Librocubicularist

Glad the border patrol jerks didn't win. I couldn't believe how many times he fell off that sled! The key was to hold your core and everything else straight and tight and he was just flopping around like a fish and hanging over the sides.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
Again, the luck of the draw in choosing cab drivers was a major factor in the finishing line order.
How so. Art and JJ fell behind but that was because they were pulling the old "follow that cab" routine that they had so soundly criticized others for. So the cab driver didn't know where to go but it was not the cab drivers job to decipher the clue. It was Art and JJ's clue to solve. Despite that screw up they were in first place at the last road block (by as much as 15 or 20 minutes would be my guess, if JJ was right and Art was on his 16th attempt when Dave and Rachel showed up. They had every chance to win.

Brendan and Rachel jumped back in the cab despite the fact that she read the "on foot" portion of the clue out loud. The cab took them where they explained.

Dave and Rachel's cab driver apparently did not leave them off at "the gate" which caused them to miss the road block but in the end that did not hurt them since they won.

I am the biggest critic of cab drivers deciding the final leg but I don't see that it happened here.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
The key was to hold your core and everything else straight and tight and he was just flopping around like a fish and hanging over the sides.
I think big people were at a disadvantage on this one.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Glad the border patrol jerks didn't win. I couldn't believe how many times he fell off that sled! The key was to hold your core and everything else straight and tight and he was just flopping around like a fish and hanging over the sides.
IMHO Art was trying to ride too high up on the sled. Notice that at the end when he was exhausted, he was much lower down and closer to the ground. Thus much less flopping from one side to another.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #12
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Despite that screw up they were in first place at the last road block (by as much as 15 or 20 minutes would be my guess, if JJ was right and Art was on his 16th attempt when Dave and Rachel showed up. They had every chance to win.
It would have been interesting to see exactly where Dave and Rachel were when the border patrol guys arrived at the sleds. The editing made it look like they arrived there at the same time that Dave and Rachel arrived at the paddle boats, but we obviously know that can't be the case. I was surprised how wide the lake looked when they showed some of the wide shots of them paddling across, and they had to go back and forth 4 times! I think Big Brother would have had a shot to win, too, if they hadn't screwed up the helicopter clue, because they were much closer to Dave and Rachel.

I was actually confused by the editing a little and thought that it was the border patrol guys who had messed up. I thought they had somehow arrived at the sled location by skipping the paddle boats, not that the paddle boats would be where they went after the sleds. If it had been a closer race, the paddle boat part would have been an interesting way to eliminate the cab ride to the finish.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #13
TomK

I hope I never see Rachel (from Big Brother) again. She was the worst part about this season and I'm glad she didn't win 'her' million dollars.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #14
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I hope I never see Rachel (from Big Brother) again. She was the worst part about this season and I'm glad she didn't win 'her' million dollars.
You realize that she's good TV as a result. And this all but guarantees that you may see her in Survivor soon!

Riddle me this, when they landed in Hawaii, why the hell did Brenchel NOT drop their packs like everyone else?????
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #15
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
How so. Art and JJ fell behind but that was because they were pulling the old "follow that cab" routine that they had so soundly criticized others for. So the cab driver didn't know where to go but it was not the cab drivers job to decipher the clue. It was Art and JJ's clue to solve.
I was thinking once they started telling their cabbie to go to the nearest hotel that it was a good move. To stop there (if they were actually at a hotel when that happened) and ask valets or just a couple of guys in the parking lot or whatever instead of going inside and accessing the internet was incredibly stupid, though.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #16
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
...I was actually confused by the editing a little and thought that it was the border patrol guys who had messed up. I thought they had somehow arrived at the sled location by skipping the paddle boats, not that the paddle boats would be where they went after the sleds...
So were we (as, I'm sure, were others), but the hint was the fact there had been no clue describing the paddling; there was just a sign there which was not connected to TAR at all. After replaying it, we deduced they had missed the "sled"...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #17
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
The recap at the beginning of Part One of the ep which featured her "best" whiny moments made me LOL!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #18
fmowry

How someone does not correctly read a clue on the final leg of the race just blows my mind.

I just don't understand how Brendan can stand her.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #19
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Easy..... He is stupefied by her boobs....
Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
You realize that she's good TV as a result. And this all but guarantees that you may see her in Survivor soon!

Riddle me this, when they landed in Hawaii, why the hell did Brenchel NOT drop their packs like everyone else?????
She's such good TV that on her second go round on Big Brother, she made me stop watching a show I watched for years. Because of the nature of TAR, I know she couldn't suck up as much camera time, because of the non stop movement so I was able to tolorate her. But my 12 year old, who never watched BB had her pegged. She called her a "drama queen". Every time something didn't go her way she started crying and whining and blaming Brendon.

As for the finale, I thought the right team won. After dominating most of the race, I thought it just was "right" that they won at the end. I was so glad to see the smug border patrol guys have so much trouble after dissing everyone else's game the whole way through. Love the expression on the face of the non winners when Dave and Rachel crossed the finish line the first time and were told they had to go back!! And it was great that they STILL came back and won.

I also said to my wife when they were all racing for the ferry to the island in Japan that you watch, they'll all run to the ferry and when they get to the destination it will say not opened until morning and killing themselves to get on the ferry was a moot point. And I was right.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
There's no other reason I could tell
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #22
Necromancer2006

GREAT finish! I'm glad that their screw up didn't cost them the race.

One of the things that Rachel was doing during the sled was using her foot as a rudder. It actually slowed her down, but allowed her to stay on the sled. They looked absolutely exhausted when they arrived at the finish line. I wonder how long Team BP was there before Rachel got the stone into the goal. The light seemed to be quite a bit different when they got there.

I would have been okay with BB winning so long as Team BP got their comeuppance. "Follow that cab" and "finding it on sheer luck" were the funniest lines they said all night.
Necromancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #23
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

What was really noticeable with Brandel was the fact that every time she was whining, all he was doing was trying to encourage her and not, as I first thought antagonizing her!

All in all, it was the least obnoxious team of the three that won. There were others that went out earlier that I would have preferred to see hit the mat first, but them's the breaks.

Just trying to figure out what I'm going to watch on a Sunday night 'til the next season!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #24
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Ralph of Team Vanessa and Ralph sure looked pissed and somber at the finish line. I guess putting forth all that effort, but still losing $1,000,000 is hard to swallow.

I didn't like Vanessa, but she sure took one for the team and tried hard with the chicken jump roadblock.

Anyone else see Santa Claus on the Osaka subway train?
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #25
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
The right team won, for sure. I don't recall a team ever failing at life so spectacularly in the final leg (Art & JJ) and still being in a position to win.

Seeing Brendon and Rachel implode was all kinds of spectacular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
The recap at the beginning of Part One of the ep which featured her "best" whiny moments made me LOL!!!
I call that the Rachel Meltdown Montage!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #26
VegasVic
Craps Player

Quote:
I was actually confused by the editing a little and thought that it was the border patrol guys who had messed up.
I was confused at first too. When they showed Dave & Rachel arriving at the mat (the first time) I thought my DVR had skipped a few minutes, I didn't know what was going on
Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #27
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I was happy with the winners!

Quote:
I give Vanessa credit for sticking with the treadmill challenge and you could definitely see her ankle give out on a few of those falls.
I don't know if it helped her to complete the challenge when she stopped to take off her shirt, but I didn't mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer2006 View Post
One of the things that Rachel was doing during the sled was using her foot as a rudder. It actually slowed her down, but allowed her to stay on the sled.
And her boobs were practically on either side of the sled like pontoons!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #28
andyw715

Quote:

Speaking of....those things damn near popped when she fell off the sled thing. And all that jelly in the back was jiggling as well.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #29
etexlady

Quote:

Or her $500 hair extensions....
etexlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #30
laria
Librocubicularist

I got a good chuckle hearing someone use the nickname "Conan and Kardashian" for Vanessa and ... Meathead. I still don't know what his real name was!