TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
etexlady

Around The World in 80 Plates

Anyone watching this show on Bravo? It's kind of a combination of The Amazing Race and Top Chef if you can imagine that. There are two teams of chefs and they will be in a different city each week. The first week was London. The challenge for each team is to prepare food for which their location is known. In London each team prepared a menu of pub food and the patrons voted their favorites. The losing team members vote off one of their group so there is already scheming and conniving going on. Cat Cora and Curtis Stone are the hosts/judges. Nigella Lawson also made an appearance. Next stop is Lyon, France.
etexlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
GoHalos

I haven't heard of it, but I'll definitely check it out. Sounds like it's right up my alley. Thanks!
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
sharkster

I watched first ep. Got SP. Looks fairly interesting, but I don't feel like it's going to knock my socks off.

I kind of wish so many cooking competition shows weren't going to be on at the same time. Between this, NFNS, and two Ramsay competitions, I'm going to be maxed out. I have a hard enough time remembering the contestants until a competition gets WAY narrowed down. I predict some confusion on my part with so many at the same time. But I'll deal.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
etexlady

I'm enjoying this show a lot. I like that the diners make the determination of the winning team. The judges partake of the meal and have comments but they don't make the final decision. Then the team members vote on who to send home. And I'm learning something as well. I had never heard of the dish they had to prepare, "grenelle"? It did look quite good. Next, onward to Spain.
etexlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I didn't realize it was a game show. I might tune in now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
sharkster

Well, I gave up on it. After the sheep herding in episode two I was out of there. SP deleted. For some reason the herding and cheese identification just put me off. Also, I've seen it on something - I think that Sanchez/Cosentino show a while back.

I'll have enough cooking competition shows to keep me busy when Hell's Kitchen and MasterChef start, in addition to the current season of NFNS.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
justen_m

I've got a season pass. I set the season pass up late and missed the first ep, so will catch it when it re-airs (3am tomorrow maybe?), and then I'll it an episode two which I did already record. Every episode is airing quite a few times, so it isn't too late to catch up.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #8
Ment

I like it. Gameplay is a large of it so don't into it expecting the 'best chef' to make it thru.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
GoHalos

It's like a cross between The Amazing Race and Top Chef, although I'm guessing the chefs aren't as talented as they are on Top Chef. I like it so far.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
It's like a cross between The Amazing Race and Top Chef, although I'm guessing the chefs aren't as talented as they are on Top Chef. I like it so far.
It seems a lot more Amazing Race than Top Chef. I'll give it a few more episodes...
Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #11
robojerk

The wife is in love with Avery, so she's happy.. I was glad to see Chaz go this week and the spaz (forget his name) go last week.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:04 AM   #12
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
The wife is in love with Avery, so she's happy.. I was glad to see Chaz go this week and the spaz (forget his name) go last week.
I'm in love with Avery in a different way So heres the gaming, tried to ditch a strong player and failed. Future episodes should give some opportunity for sabotage, almost happened this EP. Wonder if Nookie's gamesmanship will get him trouble like peeps seeing him as pulling all the strings.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
justen_m

I watched the first three episodes last night and really enjoy the show. I'm not sure if I'll eventually get fed up with the gamesmanship. Last night's was borderline. However, they are playing for 150k$, so I'm guessing the play gets even more strategic quickly.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Enjoying it, though I admit it doesn't get my full attention.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
Enjoying it, though I admit it doesn't get my full attention.
+1

the contestants are all obnoxious.
i don't think i like any of them - if they focused on their cooking more and their "game" less it might be better.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

I don't particularly care for any of them, but I'd take a cleaver to Jenna. Avery's cute except for that annoying piercing thing by her eye. WTF!
Old 06-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I'm very glad Chevin is gone. What a tool.

ETA: I'm a few eps behind.

Last edited by sushikitten : 06-16-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
Ment

Avery stay away from Italian pasta please! Nookie is going to be unrecognizable at the end of this show with all the running.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Another tool gone--buh bye, Chaz.

/almost caught up

Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #20
robojerk

I was kind of shocked Avery voted for Jenna, but I guess she knew if it was tied who would go home.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #21
GoHalos

Funny that Jenna had such a moral problem with Nookie watering down the juice when her team was the one adding coconut water to their shavings to increase the weight.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #22
Ment

Well she is chef therefore prep < service.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #23
robojerk

I find it funny that the host is kind of a dick.
He sure wanted to give Jenna and Avery a hard time for not running to the finish to come in last, and the time he scolded the team for not utilizing the Italian speaking chef, even though I believe they said she spoke for an hour in really fast Italian. The producers should have told her to show them how to cook it since there was obviously a language barrier.

Another point, that who ever is organizing these challenges really failed with this one. Since the black team could serve 2 dishes it really seemed impossible for the other teams to even have a chance at beating them. Then only getting a lousy 150 baht for "judges favorite" seemed like nothing since Nooki was saying that the black team was getting at least 70 baht per transaction, almost double what the other teams were able to charge, and the final scores really proved this to be correct since they had about double of what the other teams earned. I think if "judges favorite" got 1,000 baht it would have been more competitive.

Nooki watering down the drink was genius considering the rules of the challenge. I got the perception from the judges that they were not happy about what he had done, but it just goes to show you this challenge really got away from what the producers really had in mind.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #24
Cainebj

this continues to be the most unlikeable cast in a competition reality show.

i'm not sure why i am still watching.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #25
Bob Coxner

Cat Cora was on Chelsea Lately this week and Chelsea was teasing Cat about only playing on the girls' team. NTTAWWT. I consider my gaydar for males to be excellent but I'm not good at all with it for the girls. Is it common knowledge about Cat and I've just missed it?
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
cheerdude
Reed &amp;amp;amp; Juliet's CPA

Yep... She and her partner also carried each other's babies. NTTIAWWT
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #27
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I'd say pretty common...I'm clueless about those things but I knew (and I saw her on Chelsea).

Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #28
justen_m

Cat's gayness has been public for years now. She should be married to me! Damn it!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #29
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude View Post
Yep... She and her partner also carried each other's babies. NTTIAWWT
How is that possible if one of them couldn't carry on their own. Are you saying they went IVF for each other when both are perfectly able to be pregnant?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #30
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
How is that possible if one of them couldn't carry on their own. Are you saying they went IVF for each other when both are perfectly able to be pregnant?
I had to look it up.. Fox news just happened to be on top.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,507945,00.html