TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Redhaze737

Any way to eliminate the crawler at the bottom of the screen?

Is it just me, or does anyone else dislike the update crawler at the bottom of the screen on ESPN, Golf Channel, etc? Hello, a large percentage of sports TV viewers have DVR's of some make or model. We are probably recording that event you're spoiling at the bottom of the screen.

It would seem in this day and age of internet and DVR's the sports channels would get we don't want them to spoil our viewing.

First, what do you think?

Secondly, any way to eliminate the crawler with a filter? It must be a specific part of the broadcast. Wishful thinking on my part I suppose.
Redhaze737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
farmermac
Super user

I'm with ya. You can Put some duct tape on your tv :-D
Old 06-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
cannonz

What gets me is the bugs telling what channel is and in another corner what's on next or what ever. They get bigger every year
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
Worf

Corner bugs?!?!?! WHERE?!?!? I'd love a return to the corner bugs!

I get 1/4 screen cover-ups across the bottom. It's especially bad on history channel - they always pop up when there's something showing hiding all that information.

Try losing the bottom quarter of the screen - all that information is just *gone*. Try it on Pawn Stars or American Pickers and right when they display information about stuff, boom it pops up.

They need to update the title and action-safe areas for crap like this.

Wait until an anamorphic film ... they could've used the black bar space, but noo....
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

1/3 screen ads for P&G products is next, just wait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

It's their content they are broadcasting. They can do what they want to the screen. I doubt it's going to change. They have no reason to change it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhaze737 View Post
It would seem in this day and age of internet and DVR's the sports channels would get we don't want them to spoil our viewing.
What does the "day and age of the internet and DVR's" have to do with it? It was previous days and ages that these crawlers and bugs didn't exist. If anything, they're products of this current day and age.

There's nothing you can do about it aside from complaining to the networks but I wouldn't expect much results from it.

Quote:
It must be a specific part of the broadcast. Wishful thinking on my part I suppose.
Wishful thinking != must. It's embedded in the video. Video isn't broadcast in layers that you can choose to enable/disable.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Corner bugs?!?!?! WHERE?!?!? I'd love a return to the corner bugs!

I get 1/4 screen cover-ups across the bottom. It's especially bad on history channel -
I was watching them while typing that. The 6'' tall channel bug (like you say not even in corner anymore about a 1/4 in screen) and top covered with ad for show coming on another day
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's in layers if you could get into the ESPN studios. You could turn it off there. But they probably wouldn't like that. Otherwise, yeah, it's rendered to video, one flat signal, before it's encoded.

It would be interesting if someone made use of ATSC caption streams to implement a ticker instead of rendering it to video. I think they have all kinds of capabilities that no one is using.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 06-17-2012 at 09:06 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

They believe they are doing just the opposite of that - enhancing your viewing experience. So why would they stop making it better for you?
Old 06-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
stlbluesfan74
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
They believe they are doing just the opposite of that - enhancing your viewing experience. So why would they stop making it better for you?
I don't think they are making it better for me. You are probably correct in saying that they believe they are making it better. I say lose that stuff at the bottom of the screen. If I want to see a score, I'll just check on my phone.

If anything just pop it up maybe once every half hour. Just not constantly.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #12
Worf

If they want to make it better, how about adjusting the title and action safe areas so all that text doesn't get covered? All they have to do is get the new guidelines and adjust everything.

If I'm lucky, they'd cover up the program text after the text appears - I could always pause the show and finish reading. But usually it just shows at the right time to cover the text and lasts just a bit longer. So now I'm missing out.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Worf, you appear to be talking about something different than the rest of us.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
Worf

Nah. There's the crawler on some TV stations, and many others are doing the whole 1/4-1/3rd screen banners that fly across the bottom at the worst possible moment. Slightly different, but those station banner bugs are probably even more annoying than just a crawler.

Then again, I suppose the next "innovation" would be a crawler that pops up and covers half the screen at times.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
shipspeed

love this idea
shipspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
CharlesH

That is the network's solution to the DVR commercial skip "problem". Just overlay the bottom part of the screen with commercials. That will show those smarty-pants DVR users!
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:00 AM   #17
Worf

Works great for movies - instead of showing two black bars, ad space!

And when displaying a 4:3 program, use the side bar for ads too!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #18
LoREvanescence

See if your tv has a zoom feature. I can zoom in on HD content, though I rather not as it cuts to much off the top and bottom.

The crawlers don't bother me. It's all the text on the screen. For example, does science channel really need to have "All new through the wormhole with morgan freemond tonight 10:00pm" On the screen above their logo.

That is just a crazy amount of text on the screen!
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It's in layers if you could get into the ESPN studios. You could turn it off there. But they probably wouldn't like that. Otherwise, yeah, it's rendered to video, one flat signal, before it's encoded.
Yeah, about the only thing end user equipment could do is let you set an adjustable height black bar at the bottom of the screen (rendered over the video display).

That wouldn't get you the screen realestate back, but it'd act like virtual duct tape and cover the scrolling text. (Probably should be 'per channel', or just unset totally when you change channels. Otherwise you'd always be missing the bottom bit of your shows)
Old 06-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
shwru980r

You could adjust the vertical position and height picture settings on your TV to get rid of the ads.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's their content they are broadcasting. They can do what they want to the screen. I doubt it's going to change. They have no reason to change it.
I demonstrates the respect they have for their own product and their customers, nothing more.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #22
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
I demonstrates the respect they have for their own product and their customers, nothing more.
We are not their customers, the advertisers are.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #23
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yeah, we are not the end users, we are the product being sold to advertisers. Every remote action we take is recorded by TiVo and the data mined is offered to anyone that wants to pay for that data.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote