Age quod agis

Damages "Because I Know Patty" 10/23/07

That. Was. Awesome!

(Loved the song on the closing scene!)
smallwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I am definitely going to get the DVDs and re-watch it with a careful eye for how honest they were.

But my initial impression is, very.

And they even did what I doubted could be done--set up a great second season!
Old 10-23-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
ufo4sale

So why would Patty try to kill her?

Last edited by ufo4sale : 10-23-2007 at 11:43 PM.
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Idearat

Good ending. They wrapped stuff up, left a hook for next season without a childish cliffhanger.

I'll be back for more.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale
So why would Patty try to kill her?
They flashed back to the "Do you regret what we did?" scene where Ellen said she did regret blackmailing Fisk, which implies that Patty thought Ellen's conscience might win out and she'd go blabbing. Ergo, she had to be taken care of.

That's the only reason I could come up with, anyway.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:21 AM   #6
Werd2406

Yes, Patti was worried Ellen might open her mouth about what they did so she sent someone to go take care of her in case she did.

Wow. This was such a great show. I hope beyond hope this gets a second season.
Werd2406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:46 AM   #7
spikedavis

WOW! Fantastic ending!

"Now you don't owe me nothin'."
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
On the other hand Patty really did seem to almost regret having done that to Ellen, as if she'd been talked into it by someone else.

And we never did learn if Frobisher actually died or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:11 AM   #9
daperlman
check the rhime

I was a little confused with the whole Larry plot (being a mole for Arthur). There was a point in time where Patty confronted Larry and I thought tried to turn him against Arthur (to continue to meet with him) while secretly reporting back to Patty. So if he did that... did Patty then conspire with the rest of the plantiffs to get them to insist that Larry divest his part of the settlement?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daperlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #10
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
And we never did learn if Frobisher actually died or not.
Towards the end of the scene, I'm pretty sure I saw him slump over, so I think it's safe to assume that he died (even though this episode proved that you assume nothing ).
Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #11
FireMen2003

It was good. I'm going to have to rewatch it though because I was falling asleep watching it.

What was the point of bring up Patty's daughter???

I wonder what the FBI is investigating her for....
FireMen2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
ufo4sale

I wonder if Patty wins all of her cases like this. It would be great if Frobisher is alive so he can build up his company just so it can be taken away all over again.
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #13
skywalkr2

It was a good episode. I really hope they give us a second season. I also don't know why the story brought up Patty's daughter. I also have never understood why they had the subplot with the son this season - it led to nothing at all.
skywalkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 AM   #14
FireMen2003

I think their is a little bit more with son. Why did he come back? I'm not buying the laptop idea...
FireMen2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 AM   #15
Sirius Black
Grey Warden Reject

I definitely still have questions. They've all been asked here. I didn't think this was going to be good for a second season but I was really wrong. No mention on FX as to when that season would be coming. If I had to guess I'd say next Summer.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Black
I definitely still have questions. They've all been asked here. I didn't think this was going to be good for a second season but I was really wrong. No mention on FX as to when that season would be coming. If I had to guess I'd say next Summer.
The decision hasn't been made yet. I heard somewhere that they like the series, but the ratings haven't been good.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #17
skywalkr2

The ratings aren't good - and the second season canont be only about this - otherwise they have no chance to grab a new audience.
skywalkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkr2
The ratings aren't good - and the second season can't be only about this - otherwise they have no chance to grab a new audience.
Well, actually it's a pretty good jumping-on point. Ellen is now re-joining the firm to bring down Patty, which is new as of this episode. It's a whole new direction for the show--Season 1 is the Frobisher case, and Season 2 is the Feds attempt to get Patty. And whatever the Feds are after her for is stuff other than Season 1's case (since they were already after her when Season 1 started). So for what's important for new viewers in Season 2, I suspect they could get people up to speed in the first episode without much difficulty or confusion.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #19
jgerry
save vinyl

Of course the damn bearded killer guy is a cop! Bastard!!

It would be likely that Season 2 would spend some time with Ellen trying to figure out who killed David, and using the firm's resources to do so. She told Patty that was her one condition for coming back to the firm.

I suspected all along that Patty was responsible for the attack on Ellen. It just made a lot of sense to me, what with Patty's despicable behavior, and the whole Uncle Pete thing. That's a lot of shady stuff. I just figured I wouldn't put murder past her either.
jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #20
Martha

So since they didn't show Lila this episode she was just there to lead us astray?
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #21
Werd2406

Lila was just a red herring....or a crazy b!tch that came into their lives. Whichever one you want to use to describe her.
Werd2406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #22
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Haven't read this thread, since I am about 6 episodes behind. I am looking forward to a marathon viewing during the normal December repeat season.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #23
5thcrewman

I liked MVP as the FBI guy!
5thcrewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #24
smallwonder
Age quod agis

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperlman
I was a little confused with the whole Larry plot (being a mole for Arthur). There was a point in time where Patty confronted Larry and I thought tried to turn him against Arthur (to continue to meet with him) while secretly reporting back to Patty. So if he did that... did Patty then conspire with the rest of the plantiffs to get them to insist that Larry divest his part of the settlement?
Yes, another plaintiff rep told Patty that Larry was feeding Frobisher information. So Patty confronted him in his home and pretty much told him he (his children and his children's children) would never be able to spend a dime of Frobisher's money because she would come after him for everything they own.

Larry then began working for her to make amends and was feeding Frobisher false info and trying to find out what he knew and reported it back to Patty.

But in the end, Patty was just being Patty. She used him to get what she wanted and didn't care in the end what happened to him. (I have no doubt she could have easily convinced his fellow plaintiffs to let him get his share or a smaller piece if she wanted to.)
smallwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:49 AM   #25
cheesesteak
Meh.

James Brown's "The Big Payback" came out of nowhere at the end but it perfectly set up next season.

Frobisher was gut shot in a big field, in the middle of nowhere. I assume he kicked the bucket unless he had his cell phone on him. I'm surprised the disgruntled juror didn't try to whack Patty too.

If they're worried about ratings, they should move the show to FOX. All they'd have to do is cut some of the cussing.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #26
Tulsawatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
The decision hasn't been made yet. I heard somewhere that they like the series, but the ratings haven't been good.

I think the main reason more people didn't stay with it is because it did start out kind of slow; I think lots of people weren't willing to invest much more time than 3 episodes - I know lots of others I've talked to about this say they tried, but gave up fairly early on.

Hopefully FX will run it some more so those who gave up can give it another chance.
Tulsawatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #27
DPF
So tired.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd2406
Lila was just a red herring....or a crazy b!tch that came into their lives. Whichever one you want to use to describe her.

Granted it's a long buildup for a little plot point, but the thing Lila brought to the plot was she left the door unlocked which allowed bearded cop guy into the their apartment.

That and just adding relationship-type issues for Ellen/David.

-DPF
DPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #28
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPF
...the thing Lila brought to the plot was she left the door unlocked which allowed bearded cop guy into the their apartment.

That and just adding relationship-type issues for Ellen/David.
I was not expecting Ellen to get out of her murder rap so easily. I thought Lila would be found and brought forward and she'd testify how there was an affair going on. And the police thinking Ellen's discovery of it was motive for murder. I could even see Lila passing a lie detector test when questioned on the truthfulness of the affair.

Perhaps something like this will still happen next season in some form or another.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #29
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters
I was not expecting Ellen to get out of her murder rap so easily. I thought Lila would be found and brought forward and she'd testify how there was an affair going on. And the police thinking Ellen's discovery of it was motive for murder. I could even see Lila passing a lie detector test when questioned on the truthfulness of the affair.

Perhaps something like this will still happen next season in some form or another.
A murder charge, especially when there's really not enough evidence to be certain of a conviction, is worthless compared to a videotape describing the various illegal activities of a billionaire. At least from the perspective of a political hack.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #30
cheesesteak
Meh.

One thing that's bothered me for a while... I don't get how Patty's people could have cleaned up her condo so thoroughly, so quickly that a police forensics team couldn't find any evidence of a violent struggle and death.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote