TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
tootal2

what has happened to the history channel?

The history channel does not have much history on it anymore and most of there shows are realty tv shows. What happened to all the good shows they use to have?
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
weaver

They went to H2.
weaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
The history channel does not have much history on it anymore and most of there shows are realty tv shows. What happened to all the good shows they use to have?
Scope creep. Same as many other cable networks.

Same reason neither Bravo nor A&E show arts stuff anymore, MTV and VH1 barely if ever show music videos, TLC doesn't show learning programming, and so on.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I agree, what happened? Why bother to keep the moniker? They should do what MTV has done, and ignore exactly what MTV means. They should change their name to The H or something like that.

What next, no comedy on Comedy Central?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
They should change their name to The H or something like that.
They should change their call letters to WTH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
What next, no comedy on Comedy Central?
Or no more wrestling on SYFY.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Michael S

Well Cloo is going to be less mysterious. On July 27 their going to be airing Sitcoms. At least their going to be classic sitcoms.

http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2012/0...n-july-27.html
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
MarkofT

I think the biggest issue is that History Channel has caught up. Wings was an awesome documentary series. But there is just over 100 years of history. So 200-300 hours of documentaries pretty much covers it completely. They've covered all of the known History that they could in large chunks. They can't make even a half hour show about a death clock or a plane spotting guide. So they make 5-7 minute segments about unrelated items and wrap those segments with a business about money.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Ehhh, I don't completely agree with the assessment. Things like Pawn Stars and American Pickers and American Restoration DO show history. Just in a different light. People were not watching the documentaries anymore. And they still air the old stuff, just during the day. There's only so many people interested in history like that. The channel needs to make money.

I credit them with finding new ways to get people interested in History.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Ehhh, I don't completely agree with the assessment. Things like Pawn Stars and American Pickers and American Restoration DO show history. Just in a different light. People were not watching the documentaries anymore. And they still air the old stuff, just during the day. There's only so many people interested in history like that. The channel needs to make money.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

H2 is where I go when I want to watch old school History channel stuff. And now that we actually get it, I'm really enjoying it.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

I don't know Pawn Stars isn't what I think of as history. It's an excuse for a reality show that they could "put on a history related channel". It's kind of like calling a dairy like dessert ice cream.

But I understand why they do this. History is very "dry" for much of our population and they just aren't interested in spending their relaxing time on it. Maybe they should just change the name of the channel to "Vintage" or something like that.

I love good historical documentaries myself. I'm a big fan of American Experience (which I find the best documentary series on TV). History Channel outside of series like Hatfileds and McCoys has become another venue for reality TV for me, and I rarely watch.

BTW....why not show some historical based movies and mini-series? There's loads of them available. The Military Channel does this now. I'd love them to pull some old TV mini-series out of mothballs. Wings of War, Holocaust (where Meryl Streep first came into most people's consciousness), Roots, North and South to name a few. I think that would be ideal programming for this channel.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
allan
I survived the Mayan

They could emulate Syfy and have the history of wrestling.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
I don't know Pawn Stars isn't what I think of as history. It's an excuse for a reality show that they could "put on a history related channel". It's kind of like calling a dairy like dessert ice cream.

But I understand why they do this. History is very "dry" for much of our population and they just aren't interested in spending their relaxing time on it. Maybe they should just change the name of the channel to "Vintage" or something like that.

I love good historical documentaries myself. I'm a big fan of American Experience (which I find the best documentary series on TV). History Channel outside of series like Hatfileds and McCoys has become another venue for reality TV for me, and I rarely watch.

BTW....why not show some historical based movies and mini-series? There's loads of them available. The Military Channel does this now. I'd love them to pull some old TV mini-series out of mothballs. Wings of War, Holocaust (where Meryl Streep first came into most people's consciousness), Roots, North and South to name a few. I think that would be ideal programming for this channel.
So you find Pawn Stars no good, but want mini-series instead?

How is Pawn Stars not History? They take in historical items, discuss them, and set a price. If anything, it tells people what things are really worth, which can also create an interest in it. If they didn't run shows like this, I imagine the channel would disappear. I can understand it not being everyone's cup of tea, but to say its not history, I would disagree with. Some prefer their history as a documentary. Others as a mini-series. Others as "reality-tv". What makes any one of them better than the other?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Quote:

Yeah, I would love to catch some old miniseires like this.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Scope creep. Same as many other cable networks.

Same reason neither Bravo nor A&E show arts stuff anymore, MTV and VH1 barely if ever show music videos, TLC doesn't show learning programming, and so on.
Don't forget Cartoon Network airing non-cartoons.

Whilest I can see documentaries ABOUT cartoons, these are flat out non-cartoons!

-Mike
Old 07-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #17
mattack

Dang, nobody's made the "Hitler Channel" joke yet?

BTW, they just had cable's highest ratings ever for a historical drama -- Hatfields vs McCoys.

Also, I like(d) the show I used to see (err, Tivo) I think Sundays at 6AM.. there were only maybe 20 of them. The history of various objects, then they would show where it was now. Someone's leg disconnected from their body, for example.

The history game show (that I only saw in reruns) was decent too.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
Worf

I think it's all the cable channels preparing for the a la carte fight - where you can pick and choose what channels you want to receive rather than buying packages of channels, and if you happen to like the wrong set of channels, having to buy the entire set of cable channels just to get the 4 you want. This means each channel that can't support itself (e.g., a lot of Discovery's other channels, etc) will fold.

So it's each channel preparing for that fight so when it comes time, they'll likely be picked up by a bunch of subscribers. So each channel in the group will try to inherit the other's old shows in an attempt to get everyone to pick them up en masse. Hence Discovery and History doing what they're doing to attract a core audience, then trying to farm them into their subsidiary channels that they already get.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #19
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
So you find Pawn Stars no good, but want mini-series instead?

How is Pawn Stars not History? They take in historical items, discuss them, and set a price. If anything, it tells people what things are really worth, which can also create an interest in it. If they didn't run shows like this, I imagine the channel would disappear. I can understand it not being everyone's cup of tea, but to say its not history, I would disagree with. Some prefer their history as a documentary. Others as a mini-series. Others as "reality-tv". What makes any one of them better than the other?
That's not history. To me, a show like Pawn Stars is a reach as far as being history. But it's popular and you're right, they need shows like this to stay afloat. Just like wrestling has nothing to do with SciFi and sits on the SyFy channel, and Real World has nothing to do with music. I admit that I'm not really that big a reality show fan, especially that style of reality show.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Dang, nobody's made the "Hitler Channel" joke yet?

BTW, they just had cable's highest ratings ever for a historical drama -- Hatfields vs McCoys.
Which shows that historical mini-series and movies would do well, and fit into the scope of the channel. It's doesn't have to be all dry documentaries. There are HUNDREDS of movies that fit a historical context. There have been lots of old TV series. Heck, if you go and think about it, even something like Mad Men would fit, a show that took place during another time in history. One of the things I find fascinating about a show like Mad Men is how they really researched how people lived in the early 60s. Why not a realistic look at life in say the 1870s or 1920s. Not one that shows romanticized cowboys or Jazz Age mobsters. One about how life was really like in those eras?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #21
cheesesteak
Meh.

I've been complaining (or whining) about the History Channel for the last two or three years. It should be called the Diet History Channel or History Lite. Thank God for H2.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
sharkster

Odd hos the Kennedy miniseries didn't fit their brand, yet now they have all these nutter than hell reality shows on their channel. alrighty then.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #23
tootal2

Now there starting to add games shows. there first game show picked off starts wednesday at 9pm. They have some good shows on today american eats and modern marvels
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #24
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Odd hos the Kennedy miniseries didn't fit their brand, yet now they have all these nutter than hell reality shows on their channel. alrighty then.
Different team running the network. The same person who turned A&E around is running History now.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #25
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
I think the biggest issue is that History Channel has caught up. Wings was an awesome documentary series.
Somewhat apropos to the topic... "Wings" was indeed an awesome series... but it aired on Discovery, and not the History channel...
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #26
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
Now there starting to add games shows. there first game show picked off starts wednesday at 9pm. They have some good shows on today american eats and modern marvels
Umm, like I said before, they had a game show years ago.. Hosted by the same guy who did that "how it's made" like show on FOOD. (Who used to be a local news guy here in the SF bay area eons ago.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #27
Gregor

I think the History channel thinks they are 'making History'.

There's only a limited amount of historical documentaries around, and once History got a taste of reality show ratings, they were hooked.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #28
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Different team running the network. The same person who turned A&E around is running History now.
I just looked up A&E's show lineup. Mostly reality show crap. No wonder I don't remember the last show I watched on A&E. People apparently like this kind of stuff though.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #29
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Umm, like I said before, they had a game show years ago.. Hosted by the same guy who did that "how it's made" like show on FOOD. (Who used to be a local news guy here in the SF bay area eons ago.)
Food Tech?

Old 07-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #30
pmyers

Quote:

Totally agree. It's a new/alternative way to show/introduce people to history.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote