Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
mm2margaret
Meagan

Mad Men | "The Other Woman" | Season 5 Ep 11 | 5-27-12 | Potential *Spoilers*

Peggy is gone? Say it ain't so!

Actually, I thought the ending was very touching. Nice moment between Ham and Moss with him kissing her hand. It's hard to believe Peggy will be out of the series, although it usually works that way - those in Don Draper's life have prominence in the series, and those who are not, who are peripheral, tend to fade.

In general, I think this episode was all about the girls; Joan, Peggy and even Megan, even though all the boys all worked on winning the Jaguar account. I think you could tell that by the way the pitch that Draper makes is interspersed with Joan's very personal sacrifice.

And the show continues to show it's power by illustrating through Joan the extent to which women have had to compromise themselves to assure their children have all of the resources to grow up and have a decent life. Almost an ultimate compromise, in my view.

Peggy leaves, Joan saves (Jaguar), Megan fails could be the storyline....

Last edited by mm2margaret : 05-28-2012 at 02:10 PM.
mm2margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
cheesesteak
Meh.

Peggy should have scratched Don's eyeballs out when he threw the money in her face.

Megan can just go away as far as I'm concerned.

I'm really surprised Roger was ok with Joan whoring herself out.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Powerful episode. Can't believe Peggy quit, but I'm sure she'll still play a significant role in the series. Did you see Don's reaction when Peggy told him where she was going? This will bring the rivalry with Teddy Chaough to the forefront.

I loved the way Pete pitched the idea to Joan. He made it sound as if he weren't even making her the offer, all the while making her the offer. Such a weasel. Can't believe Joan went through with it, but at the same time, this will make her much more of a prominent player in the show, and that's definitely a good thing.

Good to see Freddy Rumsen again. I wonder if he's going to make good on his comment to apply at SDCP if Peggy leaves.

Pete wants to get an apartment in the city and Trudy says no way. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
cheesesteak
Meh.

I have a feeling Lane's embezzling will soon come to light and Joan will end up really running the company. It's a good thing she's got her partnership. Was that even possible in those days?

Old 05-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Is Elizabeth Moss really leaving the series? Unless I missed some casting rumors, Peggy Olson quitting SCDP doesn't have to mean she is off the series. I mean, if it DID, wouldn't they wait until the season finale?

Nice how Pete never gave a second thought to whoring out Joan. We've known he is a total tool, but this is pretty bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
kar74
hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak
Peggy should have scratched Don's eyeballs out when he threw the money in her face.

Megan can just go away as far as I'm concerned.

I'm really surprised Roger was ok with Joan whoring herself out.
I thought Roger wasn't okay with Joan whoring herself out? I am really surprised she went through with it. I suppose she is financially just looking out for her and her child post divorce. I'm glad she has a small piece of the company now. She deserves it.

And I am very proud of Peggy not backing down with Don wanting to keep her. I will miss her working for SCDP, but she was being squashed by the men there, especially Don and Ginsberg.

Man, I don't know that I've hated a character more than Pete Campbell. He's such a pretentious d-bag.
kar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar74 View Post
I thought Roger wasn't okay with Joan whoring herself out? I am really surprised she went through with it. I suppose she is financially just looking out for her and her child post divorce. I'm glad she has a small piece of the company now. She deserves it.
I think her impending divorce really plays a big role in this. She could have plenty of money from Roger if she wanted it. She could have kept Greg around if she wanted to. But she saw this as a chance to better her financial situation without having to rely on the men in her life, and despite the moral implications, she felt it was worth it.
Quote:
And I am very proud of Peggy not backing down with Don wanting to keep her. I will miss her working for SCDP, but she was being squashed by the men there, especially Don and Ginsberg.
But isn't she going to be "squashed" by the men in whatever firm she goes to? This is 1966, after all. These men aren't going to treat her as an equal, regardless of her title or talent.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
mm2margaret
Meagan

Quote:
Man, I don't know that I've hated a character more than Pete Campbell. He's such a pretentious d-bag.
+1001
Old 05-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
This is 1966, after all.
I believe we've gone into January 1967, actually. Not that it matters to your point.

Looking solely at inflation, Peggy's $19,000 salary would be the equivalent of about $120,000 today. Not bad if you can get it.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
stellie93

Did Lane suggest the partnership thing to Joan just so he wouldn't have to come up with cash right away? Still it was probably a better deal for her too. I really hope they find a way to get Lane out of this.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
avery

Terrific episode in so many ways yet disturbing in so many ways.

• Pete as pimp; he sinks to new lows every time we turn around.

• Lane framing "the proposition" to Joan so it would help him.

• Roger opposing it initially but obviously caving during the partners' vote.
(Happy that Don walked out in disgust)

• Maybe Joan got what she wanted... advancement and money but she left
her respect on the bargaining table. The other partners know what the deal was and how the whole scenario played out... how will she garner any respect?

• Noooooo... Peggy can't be gone! I was yelling at the screen the
whole time.(EM played that scene to perfection, as did JH)

It's curious that the dynamic between Don and Joan seems to be telegraphed so regularly now. Not that I don't enjoy it ... just curious.
avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
tiams

I'm afraid Dr. Rapist will get some of Joan's SCDP money in the divorce settlement. Could she end up having to pay him alimony?

This is what happens when you raise your daughters to be admired.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Did Lane suggest the partnership thing to Joan just so he wouldn't have to come up with cash right away? Still it was probably a better deal for her too. I really hope they find a way to get Lane out of this.
I don't think it was to prevent him having to come up with cash. I think it was because they wanted him to go get an extension on the credit line in order to pay her, and since he's already maxed out the credit line, he wanted to figure out another way so the shortage of cash and credit wouldn't be brought to light. As cheesesteak mentioned above, it could be that Lane's suggestion of her becoming a partner actually leads to his undoing, because I wouldn't be surprised if Joan demands to see the books now that she's a partner, and she'll figure out what Lane's been doing.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

I'm surprised that Joan hasn't figured out Lane's embezzlement yet, since we've seen before that she balances the books.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
stellie93

I've got to side with Don on the Meagan going to Philly for 6 weeks or whatever. She wasn't talking about this when they got married, then she didn't tell him when she auditioned what it would entail. They're newlyweds, and leaving a guy like Don for that long could only bring trouble. Isn't there some kind of acting she could do that's only in NY?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #16
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I could relate to Peggy in this episode. I've been there before where I felt like I wasn't getting the recognition I deserved and I left. I loved her smile right as she was getting on the elevator. I know Don is the central character, but the show has been very much about Peggy's journey and hopefully we'll keep following her.

What a choice for Joan and she must have been crushed to have Don show up too late to stop her.

As for Megan, I think it was unfair of her to fly off the handle about Boston. Living apart from your spouse for two months is worthy of discussion. She acted like she'd already told Don and he should know. Was she being manipulative, or had she told him and he forgot?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #17
ElJay

They're really slamming us over the head with the Lane stuff... Can't that just blow up already?

Pete keeps getting worse. I hope he jumps into the path of a moving train soon.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
They're really slamming us over the head with the Lane stuff... Can't that just blow up already?

Pete keeps getting worse. I hope he jumps into the path of a moving train soon.
Pete's gun is going to play a part in Lane's or Pete's blow-up!
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
As for Megan, I think it was unfair of her to fly off the handle about Boston. Living apart from your spouse for two months is worthy of discussion. She acted like she'd already told Don and he should know.
This. How is Don supposed to know that a New York theater production is going to rehearse and preview in Boston for 3 months? Sounds highly unusual.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
This. How is Don supposed to know that a New York theater production is going to rehearse and preview in Boston for 3 months? Sounds highly unusual.
He should have watched "Smash"

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

When Peggy was waiting for the elevator and then it dinged, did anyone else have the thought of the empty elevator shaft from a couple episodes ago and that perhaps Peggy would step in without really looking? That thought only lasted for half a second as I watched, but I wonder if anyone else thought the same.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #22
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
When Peggy was waiting for the elevator and then it dinged, did anyone else have the thought of the empty elevator shaft from a couple episodes ago and that perhaps Peggy would step in without really looking? That thought only lasted for half a second as I watched, but I wonder if anyone else thought the same.
<Raises hand>
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #23
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
It's a good thing she's got her partnership. Was that even possible in those days?
Wasn't Bert's sister one of the partners at the old Sterling Cooper?

The series has always contrasted Joan and Peggy, this episode is another example. Peggy doesn't compromise to get ahead the same way Joan does.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #24
dbranco

Quote:
Yup, me too!
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #25
nyny523
Oy

When Peggy got on that elevator, I literally yelled at the TV "You go, girl!" I was so proud of her!

And I agree that the episode was very largely about how two different women chose to advance their careers. Peggy did not compromise herself, Joan did. I think Joan felt she had no other choice - until Don showed up at her apartment, and by then it was too late.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #26
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
I think her impending divorce really plays a big role in this. She could have plenty of money from Roger if she wanted it. She could have kept Greg around if she wanted to. But she saw this as a chance to better her financial situation without having to rely on the men in her life, and despite the moral implications, she felt it was worth it.

But isn't she going to be "squashed" by the men in whatever firm she goes to? This is 1966, after all. These men aren't going to treat her as an equal, regardless of her title or talent.
I think you are right that they are not going to treat her as equal and Don knows it. If you think he is a DICK (Whitman) now, wait until she has to come crawling back to him.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #27
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Yep.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #28
cheesesteak
Meh.

Lane can't get a personal loan?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #29
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I believe that is exactly what he is doing, and I concur as well, I really hope he can extricate himself before the hammer falls, but I doubt it.

Can someone go over the exact situation Lane is in?

As best I understand it:

He owed taxes back in the UK of some thousands, I'm vaguely thinking 7000.
He hired someone to address his legal and financial issues in the UK.
He needed the cash which he did not have so he expanded SCDP's line of credit by 50k.
He then announced to the partners that SCDP was 50k in the black and they should do Christmas bonuses.
The partners agree to the Christmas bonuses.
Some plot point stopped the partners from taking the Christmas bonuses.
Lane forged Don's? signature on a check to himself for some amount of money.
Lane spoke with the guy in the UK, guy says problem solved oh and hey I need to get paid, Lane says great and hangs up on him.
Because Lane had just extended their credit and used Jaguar to do it he knew he wouldn't be able to do it again, so he was desperate that Joan not agree to take a cash payout.

Does that about sum it up accurately?

Can someone explain the legal implications of what Lane has done? It's embezzeling I think, but to what level? Is he in slap on the wrist range (I don't think he is)? Or is he in many years in prison range?

If anyone else glances at the books will they easily be able to see what he has done?
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #30
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

What a smarmy little doosh Pete is. The look Lane gave Pete in the partner's meeting, I was sure he was going to pop him again. He should have.

The pitch Don made to Jaguar about the young boy seeing an E-Type him and wanting one for the rest of his life hit directly at me. . Almost as much as the Carousel.

The scene with Peggy quitting was just superbly done. I am guessing any shot of Peggy staying was when Don told her Joan was made partner. Ouch. Good on Peggy for turning down Don's pitch to stay at SCDP.

For a millisecond I thought of Peggy falling down the elevator, but I think the "bad" one was closest to the office door, and she got in the one to its left.