TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Burn Notice 6/14/12 "Scorched Earth"

Jeez, it is SO BORING watching Michael get outwitted every step of the way by every Big Bad he ever meets, year in, year out. When is going to learn to just pick a moment when the BB isn't threatening his family and friends, put a bullet in his brain, and deal with the consequences as they occur? It CAN'T be as bad as bending over for the BB, year in, year out.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Michael S

I agree I just came this close to deleting my SP after this episode. I got so tried of Anders threatening Michael to choose between his family and friends. Also what was the point of Fiona turning herself in if all she did was to tell him to go look for Anders. Also why was their no end credits and a preview for next week's episode? After they faded out they went straight to Suits.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
I agree I just came this close to deleting my SP after this episode. I got so tried of Anders threatening Michael to choose between his family and friends. Also what was the point of Fiona turning herself in if all she did was to tell him to go look for Anders. Also why was their no end credits and a preview for next week's episode? After they faded out they went straight to Suits.
That sound like the end of last season. Is there a new season?

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
That sound like the end of last season. Is there a new season?
Yes, the season premiere was last night.

But nothing has changed. It's exactly the same as last season. It looks like they've even given up on switching out the Big Bads.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Pretty intense season opening. I liked it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Jeez, it is SO BORING watching Michael get outwitted every step of the way by every Big Bad he ever meets, year in, year out. When is going to learn to just pick a moment when the BB isn't threatening his family and friends, put a bullet in his brain, and deal with the consequences as they occur? It CAN'T be as bad as bending over for the BB, year in, year out.
And this time even Michael's tactics were terrible.

Leaving aside that Michael should be smacking himself in the head repeatedly for failing to immediately get Anson on his belly with Michael's knee in his back and Anson's hands immobilized, and that Michael must hit like a 7-year old girl if Anson was still able to see and grab a metal bar and whack Michael after the number of times that Michael hit him...leaving that aside.

Why the heck did Michael let Anson walk away with that dead man's switch? Did Michael think the guy has a good heart and will not trigger it as soon as he is out of Michael's sight? Clearly the thing to do is to take advantage of Anson's one sure trait -- self-preservation. The obvious tactic was for Michael to tell Anson that the instant he triggers the switch, Michael will shoot him in the head. Then Michael radios to his friends to get out fast. Probably by this time Anson is backing away towards the boat, but Michael should be following him, keeping the gun on him. Mexican standoff. This was so obviously the best tactic for Michael to use. I guess the writers just don't care anymore.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

It's predictable, but I'm still enjoying it.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

It's official. Burn Notice has given up on going for any kind of quality script. If I hear one more, "Mikey! We've got company!"

You'd think by now that Maddie would have moved to Vancouver.

Ya think when a skinny woman in a thin white dress walks up the steps and says "I want to surrender," they routinely greet her with the SWAT team? They weren't supposed to know she was the suspect. THAT was Anson's threat. If they wanted Fiona she wasn't hard to find. She's at Michael Westen's....you know, the guy just given a clean bill to work for the CIA.

Then the SAME CIA sends 22 guys to question Fi about Mike while Mike is working for the CIA...but they can only spare 3 CIA guys in a few hours for catching the real bad guy.

"It looks like it's just you and me, Mike."
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 06-16-2012 at 05:44 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
It's official. Breaking Bad has given up on going for any kind of quality script. If I hear one more, "Mikey! We've got company!"
All shows that start with 'B' are the same to you, huh?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Burn Bad?

Breaking Notice?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
philw1776

Quote:
Used to love this show. Gave up 1 1/2 seasons ago. Checking in to see if I should resume watching as I like the actors and the scenery for bubble gum viewing. Guess not.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Hey, at least Jessie's agent got him into the opening. The man musta got a new contract.

"Down on his luck CIA agent?" Well he had the bad luck of being picked to have Michael Westin burn him.

---

I was sure that Fi would see that the autopsy was fake because they missed the scar on his privates or something.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
JimSpence
Just hangin'

The scene where Fiona gave herself up was just plain stupid.
She walks up the stairs and announces she is turning herself in.
Immediately the one guy pulls his gun and a dozen others with assault rifles show up.
This was pointed out in post #8 above, but it needed to be repeated.

The scene at the end when Fi pointed out the flaw in the photo trying to tell her that Michael was dead was priceless.

I just hope they tie this story arc up in the next episode. Or the next at the very least.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:28 AM   #14
cheesesteak
Meh.

Burn Notice is very different than last year. Anson shaved his mustache off.

Fiona's surrender scene were just plain goofy but I've grown to love Fiona so I don't care.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence View Post
The scene at the end when Fi pointed out the flaw in the photo trying to tell her that Michael was dead was priceless.
After she has apparently already given him up. (Unless she was lying in her statement.)
Old 06-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
After she has apparently already given him up. (Unless she was lying in her statement.)
I thought that statement was written by the CIA guy, and he just needed her to sign it.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I thought that statement was written by the CIA guy, and he just needed her to sign it.
Right.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

It's always the same thing. But it's fun. Still, the show is no longer a GoTo show I have to watch right away.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Used to love this show. Gave up 1 1/2 seasons ago. Checking in to see if I should resume watching as I like the actors and the scenery for bubble gum viewing. Guess not.
Same here.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I don't adore the show as much as I did early on, but I still find it to be fun. I love these characters even if it is a lot of the same stuff. They really got me, I totally thought they were going to kill Sam and I even started to get teary.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #21
steverm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
It's always the same thing. But it's fun. Still, the show is no longer a GoTo show I have to watch right away.
This!
steverm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Hey, at least Jessie's agent got him into the opening. The man musta got a new contract.

"Down on his luck CIA agent?" Well he had the bad luck of being picked to have Michael Westin burn him.

---

I was sure that Fi would see that the autopsy was fake because they missed the scar on his privates or something.
AND... he doesn't say EX-GIRLFRIEND anymore, just girlfriend! What a shift in focus!

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:36 AM   #23
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Mike made more than a few tactical blunders but it's not because he's an idiot this season, it's because he is off his rocker, and everyone around him keeps pointing that out. He's been telling us about how as a spy you have to have a way to compartmentalize the emotion, and this episode is what happens when you lose that.

On the other hand, Anson made a lot of mistakes too. I kept thinking of ways I could have made better use of the chemical plant than he did. Anson's playing cool but he's also on edge.

So while all this fits within the story and characters, and it's a sort of change of pace, I also hope we don't have to watch it that long. Let's see Anson down and Mike back on his game soon. If this is their idea for a whole season, boo. If it's just going to take a couple of episodes to transform from where last season ended to where this season begins, that's okay, I can live with that.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #24
Eddief66

Even if they get rid of Anson another badass would just come along and grab hold of Micheal's leash.

BTW, has anyone seen this?

WARNING: Spoiler about something that happens later in the season.

Spoiler:
Hot news for “Burn Notice’’ fans: Jeffrey Donovan, who plays the CIA operative Michael Westen, says one of the main characters dies in the show’s sixth season premiering Thursday on the USA Network.

As for who is killed off — Donovan isn’t saying.

http://articles.boston.com/2012-06-1...haracter-fiona

Eddief66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #25
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddief66 View Post
Even if they get rid of Anson another badass would just come along and grab hold of Micheal's leash.

BTW, has anyone seen this?

WARNING: Spoiler about something that happens later in the season.

Spoiler:
Hot news for “Burn Notice’’ fans: Jeffrey Donovan, who plays the CIA operative Michael Westen, says one of the main characters dies in the show’s sixth season premiering Thursday on the USA Network.

As for who is killed off — Donovan isn’t saying.

http://articles.boston.com/2012-06-1...haracter-fiona

My guess is
Spoiler:
it will be his mom...

Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
My guess is
Spoiler:
it will be his mom...
Or
Spoiler:
Jesse, who I don't think really adds anything to the mix...and Mom really does. Jesse is by far the most disposable of the main cast...unless behind the scenes somebody wants to leave or is being pushed out.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #27
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

After watching some other shows that I have become addicted so since this show last aired, it really does make all BN's flaws glaring. I still like it, for the same reasons mentioned here, I care about the characters. But yeah, this is not must see TV. I won't drop it like I did 2 of my other USA shows but I don't really look forward to it anymore. (although any scene that has Jeffrey Donovan rockin that teary eyed look, always gets me)

Jere Burns is staying seriously busy lately. Between his new FT gig here, his PT gig on Justified and his guest appearances on Breaking Bad, I feel like he's on every show I watch!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #28
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Or
Spoiler:
Jesse, who I don't think really adds anything to the mix...and Mom really does. Jesse is by far the most disposable of the main cast...unless behind the scenes somebody wants to leave or is being pushed out.
Spoiler:
Jesse would be my second guess...

Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #29
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
...Jere Burns is staying seriously busy lately. Between his new FT gig here, his PT gig on Justified and his guest appearances on Breaking Bad, I feel like he's on every show I watch!
He's a very talented, multi-faceted actor...
Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #30
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
He's a very talented, multi-faceted actor...
I agree and I enjoy his Justified character best.