TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
pmyers

New episodes of Shark Tank start next Friday 01/20/2012

Can't wait. I'm hoping they get rid of Foxworthy though (although he was a lot better than I thought he would be).
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Alfer
WOOSAH!

I just noticed this on my To Do list on the DVR...we've always enjoyed this show.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
mattack

This show is pure capitalism at its best. It's awesome. I'd actually like to see Trump on it, though does he know ANYTHING besides real estate?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
This show is pure capitalism at its best. It's awesome. I'd actually like to see Trump on it, though does he know ANYTHING besides real estate?
water, mattresses, ties.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
Swirl_Junkie

Mark Cuban for the win.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
wendiness1
WiiMomma

Yay!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
GoHalos

Looking forward to it! Love this show.
GoHalos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Not sure if this shows garners enough posts for an episode thread so I'm posting here.

Thought the Guitar Buddy was a great idea. Even Robert "learned" in a few seconds. But what bothered me was how they were all OK with manufacturing in US (except Kevin) 'cause the inventor wanted to create jobs here. But last week they ALL were adamant that it order to succeed one should manufacture overseas. WTH?!!

I also thought the You Smell soap bars was not that great an idea. I think Robert was just mesmerized by her boobs! His offer was incredibly generous.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

I'm looking for those shrimp burgers at retail. The looking back piece showed that the developer is making big bucks based on his appearance on the show alone, even though the Sharks are kicking themselves for letting him get away
Old 02-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
Zrealm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
But what bothered me was how they were all OK with manufacturing in US (except Kevin) 'cause the inventor wanted to create jobs here. But last week they ALL were adamant that it order to succeed one should manufacture overseas. WTH?!
Manufacturing small plastic parts isn't necessarily the same problem, especially when the actual manufacturing cost is a smaller percentage of the total price.
Zrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Thought the Guitar Buddy was a great idea. Even Robert "learned" in a few seconds. But what bothered me was how they were all OK with manufacturing in US (except Kevin) 'cause the inventor wanted to create jobs here. But last week they ALL were adamant that it order to succeed one should manufacture overseas. WTH?!!
Heh, I was going to bring up this exact thing, if I remembered it.. you beat me to it.

One thing I note was that these episodes were far apart in production order. I *THINK* the ok with manufacturing overseas one was the first ep of the season, this one was later. I have no idea how often they actually tape their segments. Maybe it was all the same day/set of days, maybe it was months apart.

I too noticed the inconsistency, but I actually APPLAUD them for even broaching the topic of manufacturing overseas at all. I would've thought they would be totally chicken to even suggest that. I'm glad that their "love of money" won over (at least on that one ep).
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
Hank
AC•FTW

I just saw today on Damon's twitter feed that they taped the entire season over two weeks over the summer (2011).

I thought the "Smell of Money" guy was an idiot for not taking the 80% deal. You get to keep 20% of the business by doing NOTHING, and let Damon do all the work? Moron.

Quote:
I think Robert was just mesmerized by her boobs!
JHFC -- who wasn't?!?!?! She was selling soap?

I see next week they've replaced Barbara. Good thing -- I was getting tired of her.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
JHFC -- who wasn't?!?!?! She was selling soap?
He made sure to go for the hug when the deal was done.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
bruinfan

Quote:
i thought it was a profit margin issue... the truck thing was too expensive to make in the US, while the guitar buddy had a good profit margin... could've been better in asia, but good enough to make money in the US and still contribute to the economy.
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
He made sure to go for the hug when the deal was done.
The makeup people did a fine job on Megan, she doesn't look like that in her other photos or appearance. http://7liveonline.com/Local-entrepr...estors/8527774
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
Hank
AC•FTW

Looks pretty much the same to me.

???

She looks even better here: http://the-shark-tank.com/you-smell-soap-megan-cummins/
Old 02-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
Azlen

Quote:
Looks pretty much the same to me.

???
The only difference I saw was that on the Shark Tank, she definitely accentuated her breasts and on the local interview show...not so much.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
Ment

That's what I mean. She is probably a dress down type and on the Shark Tank they cranked up the va va voom.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #19
LordKronos

Watching this weeks episode (Feb 10) with the wine balloon guy, it really bugs me when the sharks start bullying like that. And the more they bullied like that, the more I thought the guy should have been taking Kevin's ofter. If Mark really wanted to get his hands on the product THAT bad, then it's probably bigger than the guy even realized.

As for the towel with a hole, did I miss something, or were the sides of the towel completely open, thus still a bit lacking in the privacy department?
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #20
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
Watching this weeks episode (Feb 10) with the wine balloon guy, it really bugs me when the sharks start bullying like that. And the more they bullied like that, the more I thought the guy should have been taking Kevin's ofter. If Mark really wanted to get his hands on the product THAT bad, then it's probably bigger than the guy even realized.

As for the towel with a hole, did I miss something, or were the sides of the towel completely open, thus still a bit lacking in the privacy department?
I also hated the way Mark tried to bully both the wine guy and the new female shark. I wish she had told Mark to shut up and stop trying to high-jack her deal. Before he opened his mouth she was willing to give wine guy $500,000, then when he backed and got back in for $400,000, I wanted her to offer the guy the $500,000 again with just her. I really wish she had stood up to him.

And I agree about the openness of the towel on the sides. I wanted the sharks to have the kids change under it. That would have prove it didn't work.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #21
Ment

lol chump lost $200k. Guy got shredded by the Sharks. He should have counter offered the 600k with 300k for ownership plus 2% royalty.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #22
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
lol chump lost $200k. Guy got shredded by the Sharks. He should have counter offered the 600k with 300k for ownership plus 2% royalty.
I don't think he was a chump. He did try to counter-offer but Cuban basically said "talk to the hand" because he is a big jerk.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #23
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I don't think he was a chump. He did try to counter-offer but Cuban basically said "talk to the hand" because he is a big jerk.
He countered with 600k+3% royalty. After he lost leverage after the refusal on those terms he lost 200k.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #24
Jim_TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
He countered with 600k+3% royalty. After he lost leverage after the refusal on those terms he lost 200k.
He should have went with Mr. Wonderful and the licensing deal at that point, rather than accept a cash buyout deal for $200,000 less.
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #25
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_TV View Post
He should have went with Mr. Wonderful and the licensing deal at that point, rather than accept a cash buyout deal for $200,000 less.
This. They kept saying he could walk out there with nothing which wasn't at all true. Once the $600,000 was gone I'd have countered with $500,000 and when they said no I'd immediately accepted Kevin's deal.

I also immediately said something to my wife when those kids put on the towel. No way you could change in that unless you wanted your junk shown to the world. I'm sure the first thing Lori will do is change that design. I still think she should have selected Daymond's offer since he could have simply added the towel to his production line.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #26
Ment

Quote:
I think a lower price for the company with a royalty would have been an accepted counteroffer to Cuban/QVC Gal. Reasoning: I'll reduce your risk by half for a royalty. Now they might counter my counter with a royalty of 2% or something but thats just playing the Shark game.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Agreed. I was hoping he wouldn't be blinded by the Cuban offer.. there's no reason they couldn't have thrown him 2% royalty. They're totally greedy bastard theives, just as Mr. Wonderful said.

I would have taken Kevin's deal the moment the other two started dicking me around. Screw me?!? No, SCREW YOU!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #28
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Agreed. I was hoping he wouldn't be blinded by the Cuban offer.. there's no reason they couldn't have thrown him 2% royalty. They're totally greedy bastard theives, just as Mr. Wonderful said.

I would have taken Kevin's deal the moment the other two started dicking me around. Screw me?!? No, SCREW YOU!
this is why emotion gets in the way of business. he'd have screwed himself if he was doing it just to spite Cuban.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
Hank
AC•FTW

But he would have made MORE money with Kevin.

I'm saying he should have gone with the better deal.

The cuban deal was good at $400, $500 or $600k plus a royalty. They choose not to offer any royalty and screw him over. If he took Kevin's deal, he would have screwed over Cuban out of 100% of the returns from the investment. Cuban 0. Wine Balloon. 1.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #30
mattack

I think it's hilarious it went down $200K within minutes.