TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
ShellKing

help need to upgrade 3 of 4 tivos

Trying to figure out the best way to 'upgrade' our TV viewing and could really use some help. Here's what we currently use:
Series 1 (new harddrive) with Lifetime
Series 2 on $6.95 monthly
Series 2 on $9.95 monthly
TivoHD with Lifetime (our main tv and the only one we currently watch in HD)

The problem is the series 1 & 2 tivos all have composite cables and I want to buy new flat TVs. I tried plugging the composite cables into component inputs on a new tv and I ended up with a black and white picture. So I started thinking I should get new tivos too. ugh.

I called tivo and the customer service rep had all sorts of options including upgrading my series 1 and/or 2 tivos to lifetime if I bought a new tivo. Not really helpful since the problem is they don't plug into anything. Or I can transfer the low monthly rates to a new machine(s). Tempting for sure. But then I stress about my cable company and cable cards and getting them to play nice . . . It's difficult to give up the Sony Series 1 with Lifetime -- but with only composite cables it's worthless, right?

ugh. My husband is no help. He hates tv and just wants to be able to use a tivo to watch baseball in his office and see the whole score on the screen (it gets cut off on the c2001 CRT tv.) This is up to me to figure out. Any thoughts or questions that will lend me some clarity?
ShellKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
HomeUser

OMG / OMA ... Get a NEW Husband!

Composite and Component are different formats I am surprised that you get B/W video with the mismatch.

If the new TV supports the old analog TV format you could use the RF output of the Series1/2. You probably won't be satisfied with the video quality.

Are you sure the new TV does not have at least 1 Composite input? If it does you could get a inexpensive switch. A 4 input composite switch can be found for around $20. A quick search found "Cables To Go 28750 4x2 S-Video, Composite Video and Stereo Audio Selector Switch" $18 on Amazon it has a connection on the front which is handy for portable items like video cameras and game consoles.

Link to the Optimum West support page Using TiVo with iO TV

I would be tempted to swap out the 2 Series 2's with one Premiere (it records 2 channels)

Last edited by HomeUser : 06-13-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Link to Optimum West support page
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can get any of the older Series 3/HD/XL and simply change the TSN on your monthly 9/6.95. Premiere would be 12.99.

They have HDMI and component connectors. Records 2 channels at once, uses cable cards instead of cable boxes. Its mainly for cable and OTA not satellite.

Amazon.com has S3 available.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
Are you sure the new TV does not have at least 1 Composite input?
These days the manufacturers integrate one of the component inputs with a composit input.
If you're using a composit connection, you plug the yellow in a designated input of the component connection.
Like this:

Maybe the OP didn't have the video line connected to the designated input. She might have thought she was seeing B&W, but was actually seeing blue (just a thought).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 06-13-2012 at 11:22 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
worachj

If the new TV has an analog tuner (NTSC) you can use the coaxial output of the S1/S2 TiVo's as the TV's input. You will have to leave your TV tuned to channel 3/4 and use the TiVo's as the tuner.
worachj is offline   Reply With Quote