TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
First new episodes of DALLAS 6/13/12

Did anyone miss the faces of the actors being flashed on the screen during the themesong and opening credits?

They gave the names, but no faces.

Is this a 21st century thing, or something?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Nope, they didn't include the actors' faces with their names.

The theme music was the same, though. It's been running through my head all day.

Spoiler:
And boy, everybody's up to their old tricks, aren't they? Bobby, as always, is the last honest man in Texas, although Christopher's not too far behind. Whotta pair of maroons.

Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Wow, I'm pissed. There must have been a conflict (stinkin' Dish DVR), but it didn't complain that the episodes weren't set to record. TNT aired it as two one-hour episodes... the DVR got one of them. The other won't record until SUNDAY.

Downloading the only torrent I could find of the Pilot, but they didn't compress it (probably to get it online as quickly as possible). Combine that with a 43k download, and I'm looking at tomorrow before it's done.

Tempted to stream on TNT's site. What a pain.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

I gave in and streamed hour 1. I *hate* that stupid eyebrow thing that John Ross has. OK, so JR

Spoiler:
Was so depressed over Cliff Barnes' takeover of Ewing Oil that he went into a Walter White fugue state?

It was good to see Ray Krebs & Lucy Ewing, but geez man... the years have not been kind to Charlene Tilton. Compare her to Madonna, who's 4 months older... wow.

Really liking the show so far, they're putting a lot of things in place. The producers have really put in the homework with the show, with the whole

Spoiler:
Digging on Southfork situation. I think that was one of the biggest issues on the series, once Jock Ewing died, wasn't that one of JR's primary goals?

My memories of the series are slowly coming back. I haven't seen an episode since it went off the air, but this was one show my whole family watched from its inception. I think it's time to watch the old ones again.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 06-14-2012, 03:29 AM   #5
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I didn't watch the original series but really enjoyed this premiere. Excellent cinematography too.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
I gave in and streamed hour 1. I *hate* that stupid eyebrow thing that John Ross has. OK, so JR

Spoiler:
Was so depressed over Cliff Barnes' takeover of Ewing Oil that he went into a Walter White fugue state?

It was good to see Ray Krebs & Lucy Ewing, but geez man... the years have not been kind to Charlene Tilton. Compare her to Madonna, who's 4 months older... wow.

Really liking the show so far, they're putting a lot of things in place. The producers have really put in the homework with the show, with the whole

Spoiler:
Digging on Southfork situation. I think that was one of the biggest issues on the series, once Jock Ewing died, wasn't that one of JR's primary goals?

My memories of the series are slowly coming back. I haven't seen an episode since it went off the air, but this was one show my whole family watched from its inception. I think it's time to watch the old ones again.

Greg
Spoiler:
The idea of JR slipping into a deep depression fits, at the end of the series he was suicidal, and though in the follow up movies it was retroconned that he actually shot the mirror, by the end of the second movie he'd lost everything again. W/O Ewing Oil, JR is an empty shell.

JR has always wanted to drill on the ranch, in fact he did once before when Jock was alive. (This was apparently a new well altogether because "new reports showed a massive deposit" which is kinda odd, they knew there was a crapload of oil under Southfork. When Jock died the fight was about sole control of Ewing Oil, Jock had updated his will on his fateful trip because he couldn't trust JR, so he divided voting rights amongst the family, including giving control of John Ross' voting rights to Miss Ellie until he became of age. (They actually had to scramble to do this, Jim Davis died unexpectedly, it wasn't initially planned, they talked about replacing the actor, but decided against it).

The Ranch was deeded to Bobby by Miss Ellie while she was traveling with Clayton and decided not to come home because it was too hard on her emotionally.

This actually works well into why Bobby would sell it to a conservatorship, there's no one left that he can trust the ranch to.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I liked it also. Funny tho, I've lived in Dallas almost 8 years,and I see more cattle and horses,on the main title screen than i have ever seen here.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Peter000

Meh. The new generation doesn't have NEARLY the chemistry of the older cast.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Also, what's the deal with Jordana Brewster's face? It looks stretched tighter than a drum.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
One of the cable networks started running the original Dallas from the beginning today. I think it's CMT. They ran all afternoon.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
markz
Hilarity Ensues

So far so good!

We toured Southfork in 2006! Good times!

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Oh c'mon....give it some time. We loved it!

And the ratings were excellent...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #13
caslu

A lot of fun... felt like old times and Larry Hagman's still got it.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Yes. And I didn't like them. The older generation was full of despicable characters, but there was a depth and a likeability factor, as well as a certain sense of humor in them, that had me going back each week. This one, not so much.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #15
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

As usual, the extensive passage of time is romanticizing the views of the previous program and characters. Criticism of this show's/characters' "lack of chemistry" is WAY premature....
Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

I think ep 2 was better than ep 1. I'm in. I never watched the original show (not that you had to watch it to know all about it) but the older cast was fantastic. The kids, we'll see.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
Jon J
Curmudgeon

I wasn't a real fan of the original Dallas but the characters on this modern version are so deliciously devious it will be a treat to watch. Bring it on.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
Langree
The Gimp

The point being the original show had 14 years to develop that depth of character some of you feel is lacking after seeing 2 episodes.

Sue Ellen, Bobby, and Lucy probably developed the most over the run of the show, but it wasn't overnight, and it wasn't forced.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah. The original series was perfect. No problems at all, nope.

Disco Dallas Theme

Give it time. It'll develop. As I said, I really enjoyed it and didn't mind the new cast too much. I think for longtime fans there will always be a hesitation towards the newbies, since we've been so familiar with the other characters for close to 35 years.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Yeah. The original series was perfect. No problems at all, nope.

Disco Dallas Theme

Give it time. It'll develop. As I said, I really enjoyed it and didn't mind the new cast too much. I think for longtime fans there will always be a hesitation towards the newbies, since we've been so familiar with the other characters for close to 35 years.

Greg
They handled that right..never mentioned it after he was revealed to be the 4th son.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

One thing I really miss is the way Jim Davis used to say "Bobby". It was always like, "mmmm, bobby"

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #22
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
They handled that right..never mentioned it after he was revealed to be the 4th son.

Yeah, his name should really have been Ray Snow. :P

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
One thing I really miss is the way Jim Davis used to say "Bobby". It was always like, "mmmm, bobby"

Greg
and he's snap it out fast.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #24
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
The point being the original show had 14 years to develop that depth of character some of you feel is lacking after seeing 2 episodes...
Exactly my point.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
stellie93

Quote:
Yeah, his name should really have been Ray Snow. :P

Greg
LOL Totally cracked me up with that one.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #26
Peter000

I'll give it a few episodes, but I remember being hooked on the original after the first ep. And even now Larry Hagman stole the show with just a few scenes. We shall see.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #27
hummingbird_206

I really enjoyed it. I loved the original and I'm happy to see JR, Bobby, and Sue Ellen back.

John Ross has got a lot to learn! But he's much farther along that Christopher.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #28
ncsercs
DirecTivo fan.......

You need a scorecard to keep track of who's scheming against who and the people involved.

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996

1 TiVo Series3 / 1 DTV H24 / 2 DTV HR24
ncsercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #29
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
You need a scorecard to keep track of who's scheming against who and the people involved.
Welcome to Dallas.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #30
Vendikarr

Did I miss Pam Barnes Ewings status? Pam and Bobby were perfect for each other, and I guess I need to know what happened to her.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote