TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

Veronica Mars S3 Premiere 10/3 *spoilers*

The season three premiere of Veronica Mars airs on the CW next Tuesday October 3, but there is a "sneak peek" available online at MSN.com.

I'm not sure what the rules are for discussing this episode early if it's only available online, but I know there were threads for discussing shows that premiered early on Netflix and other places. Has anyone else seen it?

I enjoyed it. It's very lighthearted in tone and emphasized the quippiness and comedic elements of the show, probably in an effort to appeal to the GG fans to keep them watching. I also thought it was probably more appealing and easier to follow for new VM viewers than last season's premiere.

Last edited by Magnolia88 : 10-04-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Magnolia88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
cherry ghost

I'm not watching until it airs on the CW, but they're definitely trying to appeal to the GG audience.

“Veronica Mars,” the most critically lauded show on the new network, will be paired with “Gilmore Girls” on Tuesdays, and the title character is starting college when the show returns Oct. 3. This season, the teen detective show will air in three distinct blocks, without repeats within those blocks, so that creator Rob Thomas can tell three overarching “Mars” mystery stories, in addition to “mysteries of the week.”

“I do think the stakes are higher and I certainly think the pressure is more pronounced,” Thomas said in an interview. “There was a always a certain safety I felt in [being on] UPN, once I got on the schedule, because they didn’t have a lot behind us waiting to take our spot.

“Now, on the CW, I know they have midseason shows ready to go in case we don’t do well out of the gate. So there’s certainly more pressure that way. Also, I do believe that success will be measured by how well we retain the `Gilmore Girls’ audience.”

Thomas has said he’s constructed the “Mars” season opener to be inviting to “Gilmore Girls” fans. “It doesn’t assume any knowledge. There aren’t any flashbacks,” he says.

“I’m trying, in those first three acts, to say to the `Gilmore Girls’ audience, `Hey look, we have fun, fast banter. We have a great parent-daughter relationship. Watch us, too!’”
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost
“I’m trying, in those first three acts, to say to the `Gilmore Girls’ audience, `Hey look, we have fun, fast banter. We have a great parent-daughter relationship. Watch us, too!’”
I think he totally succeeded. But what do I know? I already love the show.

But it was very clear that's what he was trying to do in this episode - appeal to the new viewer, hold onto the GG audience. Veronica had more quips than Lorelai Gilmore. Okay, not that many, but almost. It was very quippy and very light on the dark stuff. (Until the very end anyway, when it came through with the trademark VM punch to the gut.)
Old 09-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
mrpantstm
Well aren't you

I'll probably wait till it airs on the CW.

Maybe...

October 3rd isn't that far away.

Maybe...
mrpantstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
kleinman
On the Battlements

Anyone else read this title and think their Tivo had missed the premiere?

Bad Magnolia, bad!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBox Live Gamertag - Teneman
kleinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

Sorry!!!

But you will notice I did not put the "air date" in the title, because it hasn't aired yet and that would be against the rules. (Tuesday, October 3! On the CW! 9pm ET!)

But is nobody out there going to watch it early online? Y'all have more willpower than I do. I want to talk about it!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia88
I enjoyed it. It's very lighthearted in tone and emphasized the quippiness and comedic elements of the show, probably in an effort to appeal to the GG fans to keep them watching. I also thought it was probably more appealing and easier to follow for new VM viewers than last season's premiere.
I haven't watched it yet, but hope to have time to do so later in the week. In last week's TV Guide Podcast, Michael Ausiello commented that Rob Thomas told him that in his mind, the "real" Veronica Mars doesn't really start until episode two of this season. Apparently he intentionally kept the tone lighter in the first week to do exactly as you've said, appeal to the GG audience. But starting in week two, it sounds like it'll be back to the gloom and nihilism we've come to know and love.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns
In last week's TV Guide Podcast, Michael Ausiello commented that Rob Thomas told him that in his mind, the "real" Veronica Mars doesn't really start until episode two of this season. Apparently he intentionally kept the tone lighter in the first week to do exactly as you've said, appeal to the GG audience.
Yeah, he pretty much said the same thing last night in a VM Teleconference that he did with Tina Majorino to answer fan questions. Here's a brief recap, but I left out the most spoilery stuff.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
analog4

Neat - new credits.
analog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #10
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Weird. I tried watching it - all it did was show me a slide saying "this content may not be available in your region" then played a bunch of other ads and such.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:15 PM   #11
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Typical Microsoft. Mac-unfriendly garbage. Looks like I'll have to wait for the OTA version... rats.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #12
mrpantstm
Well aren't you

Damn you Magnolia.

Against my better judgement I watched it. You've rekindled my VM addiction. Now I have to wait. TWO WEEKS!!!!

On the other hand, loved it. Great season premier. Lot of questions but I think I'll wait till it official airs to start asking.

Kirsten Bell, smoking hot. I know it's old news but still.

The new roommate, you wouldn't know what actor plays him? He looks an awful lot like Dan Huard from the Screensavers .
Old 09-26-2006, 11:12 PM   #13
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I finally was able to get it to play. So - is this going to be the episode thread, or should we wait until it actually airs and start another thread? And should we start discussing now, or wait until then?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:52 AM   #14
davemcs

for those of you VM fans who just can't wait to see S03E01 (or won't be home to see it), its available here via streaming Real Player.

Veronica Mars
davemcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #15
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpantstm
Damn you Magnolia.

Against my better judgement I watched it. You've rekindled my VM addiction. Now I have to wait. TWO WEEKS!!!!
Sorry!

Why am I getting all this grief? I thought I was providing helpful information!!

Anyway, I know this isn't the "official episode thread" because under the rules, that thread can't be started until the episode airs (or one hour before or whatever). But all the other shows that were available early (Studio 60, etc.) had discussion threads before they aired.

I just wanted to see what the general reaction was. I give it a thumbs-up, although I want to see it again on the big(ger) screen before talking about the plot in any detail.

Quote:
Kirsten Bell, smoking hot. I know it's old news but still.
Yes, Kristen looks especially good in the premiere. Her hair looks better now that it isn't in that awkward "growing out" phase. I know she personally is happy now that it's longer and she really hated that short flippy haircut (which was leftover from her role in Spartan).
Old 09-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #16
mrpantstm
Well aren't you

Quote:
I want to see it again on the big(ger) screen before talking about the plot in any detail.
Agreed. I watched it on my media PC which is connected to my tv so it was full screen but the quality wasn't great. Good but not great.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #17
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemcs
for those of you VM fans who just can't wait to see S03E01 (or won't be home to see it), its available here via streaming Real Player.

Veronica Mars
Hm; are you sure this is right? First, my realplayer says "no such file", and second the URL ends in .wmv, which is Windows Media Player format (I thought) not RealPlayer.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #18
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

Other options for seeing the VM premiere.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #19
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Well, since this isn't the episode thread, all I will say is that I give it two thumbs up out of three (going by the TiVo rating scale). It was good, but there was a couple of things that I don't think worked as well as they probably should have.

I liked the quippy dialog, but at the same time, I think the quippy dialog got a little excessive (only a little), and it clashed with the B plot which was darker than I was expecting based on the press release that talked about this episode.

And with that, I'll shut up till it airs.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #20
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Well that's aggrevating! It took me forever to get MSN to even start to play it, I got about 3 minutes in and then all of a sudden the video was no longer available. Every time I tried to play the video, it would start to load then jump to a different video of some kind. Now I'll just have to wait until next week.
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:10 PM   #21
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Other options for seeing the VM premiere.
Thank you, my friend.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 PM   #22
Mabes
Ex-Smoker

Quote:
If I didn't get it in HD this year I'd be all over that. By the way, why didn't Kristen Bel make the Best Looking in HD thread? I've seen her on Letterman.
Mabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #23
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Thanks to Magnolia for providing the alternate links. I waited patiently for it to download and then watched in with rapt attention. I am now annoyed I'll have to wait two weeks for a new episode. Two weeks!

I thought it was great. A little too quippy actually. But loved it overall. I have a few nitpicks. But we'll get into all that with the real discussion thread.

V Mars, it's good to have you back!
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:25 PM   #24
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

Glad to be of service.

(Now if everyone will take back the "I hate you Magnolia" remarks, I would appreciate it. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabes
By the way, why didn't Kristen Bel make the Best Looking in HD thread? I've seen her on Letterman.
Why don't you write to that guy to ask him? It's probably because he doesn't have a clue and doesn't watch VM. If he did, I'm sure she would be on the list. (I haven't seen her in HD but I've seen her in person and she's stunning.)

That's such a weird (and dumb) list anyway. Yeah, Scarlett Johannsen, Beyonce Knowles and Evangeline Lilly are pretty. Howard Stern and Mick Jagger aren't. This is news to someone? Please.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:59 AM   #25
etemple

I still will miss Beaver, I mean, Cassidy.
Kyle Gallner was in the Cold Case season premiere . . . damn that kid is talented.
etemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #26
Swirl_Junkie

New Credits? Please tell me they kept " We used to be friends " as the theme song. I'm waiting till the CW.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:40 AM   #27
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirl_Junkie
New Credits? Please tell me they kept " We used to be friends " as the theme song. I'm waiting till the CW.
Same song, remixed.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:24 AM   #28
mrpantstm
Well aren't you

I liked the new credits. Definitly helps make the transition to college. Bit more adult.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #29
mwhip
All better

I watched I couldn't help myself.

There is something going on with Veronica and Logan just not sure what it is yet. Her VO to say "I am the high school girl who takes her BF to college" and her "non" reaction to Piz when he asked if Logan was her boyfriend were both very telling.

What was up with the Keith storyline? Perhaps I am not remembering S2 very well. Was that Liam in the house at the end? The video was small and dark hard to make out. What was Kendall's role in everything? She was fleecing Dick and Beaver's dad for money? Did we learn what was in the briefcase?

I thought the Saturn comment was one of the best ever of the series.

Piz -"Veronica Mars drives a Saturn in Neptune?"

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:23 AM   #30
mrpantstm
Well aren't you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip
There is something going on with Veronica and Logan just not sure what it is yet. Her VO to say "I am the high school girl who takes her BF to college" and her "non" reaction to Piz when he asked if Logan was her boyfriend were both very telling.
Dunno. I thought Veronica had a reaction to Piz when he asked at the end, like 'Oh crap he's interested in me. How to let him down gently.'

Logan did key(card) her and she seemed genuinely touched by that. I'm sure they'll have problems but I didn't think their relationship was too off.

I thought Logan's comment 'Nothing's ever my fault.' when talking about Cassidy's suicide was more telling given Logan's history of bad luck (Lily dying, mother dying, father dying, Cassidy dying, etc). He seemed kind of depressed.

I wonder with Logan taking in Dick whether that will put a strain on Veronica and Logans relationship since Dick and Veronica have never really liked each other.

I didn't see Duncan in the opening credits. Is he out?

Quote:
What was up with the Keith storyline? Perhaps I am not remembering S2 very well. Was that Liam in the house at the end? The video was small and dark hard to make out. What was Kendall's role in everything? She was fleecing Dick and Beaver's dad for money? Did we learn what was in the briefcase?
That had me scratching my head too and I won't discuss it too much till it officially airs and I see it again. Definitly a darker side to the VM episode.

Quote:
I thought the Saturn comment was one of the best ever of the series.

Piz -"Veronica Mars drives a Saturn in Neptune?"
Agreed, great comment.