TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
innocentfreak

Tivo offering $99 lifetime upgrades to some users

I saw this posted over at slickdeals. Apparently some people right now are able to upgrade their Series 3/Tivo HD to lifetime for only $99. It seems to be mostly users who just came off three year subscriptions since lifetime wasn't available or people who are on month to month.

Thread is here.

Quote:
As a loyal TiVo customer, you're eligible for an exclusive offer when you upgrade your existing TiVo service to Product Lifetime service. You'll pay a one-time fee of just $99 - a saving of $300 off the standard price of $399! Hurry, take advantage of this amazing, limited time offer today.

Product Lifetime service only applies to the box for which it was purchased. It cannot be transferred to another box.

Call 1-877-367-8486
and mention the $99 PLS upgrade offer

Only valid for:
TSN: xxxxxxxxxx

Offer expires 4/30/2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
magnus
Tivo User

That's cool. I'm glad to hear that they are doing that. Plus several can stop griping about it now on here. Or maybe they will find something else to gripe about.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Gotta try and lock in those Series 3 owners since I guarantee these are the ones bailing on them. Series 3 TiVo's can be problem ridden and buggy if you get the wrong service provider.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Or maybe they will find something else to gripe about.
Maybe?
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:44 AM   #5
moyekj

Yes, I got this deal on 1 of my TiVos and it pretty much sealed the deal of sticking with TiVo for now. I was contemplating long and hard the upcoming Ceton quad cablecard tuner, but the expense of new HTPC (I only have laptops now), lack of affordable extenders and shortcomings of MCE vs TiVo put me on the fence. This small token from TiVo pushed me over the edge.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #6
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
Gotta try and lock in those Series 3 owners since I guarantee these are the ones bailing on them. Series 3 TiVo's can be problem ridden and buggy if you get the wrong service provider.
Or to put it another way if you don't get the right service provider...
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Sounds like a provider issue and not a Tivo problem. I've got two S3's on FIOS and the 1st one is just coming off a 3-year prepaid plan. I have had zero problems with either unit other than occasional rebooting, which is probably a software issue.

I was recently offered the $99 lifetime deal and jumped on it. I still plan on getting the Ceton quad tuner CableCARD tuner when it comes out and will probably dump my S3 on ebay. However, I may reconsider and transfer the S3 to either the bedroom or my son's room since neither has a DVR at the moment. If they offer me the same deal on my 2nd S3 when my 3-year commitment expires I'll upgrade that one as well.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
jmace57
Large Member

I have a Series 3 that has had service for 3 years (in April)...I wonder if this deal will be offerred to me. I am |this| close to cancelling service on the Series 3 at the end of its' term (as I am strongly considering going back to DirecTV from cable). If I am offerred, I will definitely take it up.

Some folks over on the FatWallet site said they have called and just said they got the email and they were able to get the deal - even though they didn't really get it - although they WERE very near the expiration of their boxes.

Jim
140 Hour TiVo SA Series 2
DirecTV HR24
jmace57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #9

Gee..screwed again. I was an early adopter who bought three years then bought lifetime a few months ago. Argh!!!!
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
RoyK

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Sounds like a provider issue and not a Tivo problem. ...
Right...
Five TVs have absolutely no issues with the provider.
Two VCRs have absolutely no issues with the provider.
One MediaCenter PC with dual analog/digital tuners has absolutely no issues with the provider.
Three Series2 TiVos have absolutely no issues with the provider.

TiVoHD gray screens on analog channels with the provider.

Therefore it's obviously a provider issue.

Last edited by RoyK : 02-08-2010 at 09:14 AM.
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
travisc77

Just to clarify, this is for those that elected to do the 3 year prepay, not just a 3 year contract. I just came off my 3 year contract and tried to get this deal this morning and that's how it was explained to me.
travisc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
cogx

Quote:
Series 3 TiVo's can be problem ridden and buggy if you get the wrong service provider.
From the several posts I've read, the GSAS problem you infer is usually happening to the THD or HDXL models that came out *after* the original Series3 (S3). It could be one of those rare cases where the first-day adopter perhaps ended up with a superior product to those who held off for the revised models.
In any case, my first-day purchased S3 has been rock solid for 3.5 years now, but then maybe some would argue that Mediacom is a superior cable company?
cogx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
Adam1115
20,000!!!

They didn't offer me anything at all when I left in December....

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
MickeS

Awesome. My sub expires in June and I've been trying to determine what to do then. Now I know.

Thanks for the heads up!

Hopefully they will do this if I call, even without an email...
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
jtrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
Awesome. My sub expires in June and I've been trying to determine what to do then. Now I know.

Thanks for the heads up!

Hopefully they will do this if I call, even without an email...

My three-year pre-pay on my S3 is up June 29, 2010...two full months after this offer supposedly ends...rest assured i'll be calling before Apr. 30th to see if they'll still offer it to me to keep my S3. I use my S3 with OTA antenna only and had previously used it with FiOS/cablecards and OTA antenna combo...which worked flawlessly. Love my S3, more than my TivoHD (mostly for the space, the backdoor e-sata additional drive option, and the OLED display) and couldn't be happier with its performance over the last 3 years...
jtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
Raj
On air all the time

Mine is up on 02/27. I am planning windows 7 media center but if they give me the $99 lifetime I might jump on it. I do love the series 3, I am just mad about being told 3 years ago that lifetime is gone only to have tivo bring it back. If lifetime was available then I'd have taken it.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #17
gnordy

My 3 year plan on my S3 expires in June. I tried to call to get the $99 offer and spent about 10 minutes with the phone rep with no luck. I also have an HD with lifetime and have been a customer since 2004, but she said there was no way to extend the offer to me for my S3. She then transferred me to advanced customer support, but I was on hold for 15 minutes and had to hang up to go to a meeting. I will try again later. I am looking forward to hearing if anyone has success.
gnordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
jmace57
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisc77 View Post
Just to clarify, this is for those that elected to do the 3 year prepay, not just a 3 year contract. I just came off my 3 year contract and tried to get this deal this morning and that's how it was explained to me.

Ahhh...darn. I am on just a 3 year committment, rather than prepay.
140 Hour TiVo SA Series 2
DirecTV HR24
jmace57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj View Post
Mine is up on 02/27. I am planning windows 7 media center but if they give me the $99 lifetime I might jump on it. I do love the series 3, I am just mad about being told 3 years ago that lifetime is gone only to have tivo bring it back. If lifetime was available then I'd have taken it.
You are probably eligible. This is a program for people that got the 3yr plan because the lifetime wasn't available.

I'm not eligible, because I've been on a month to month ($6.95) since 2000, and never got the 3yr plan.

"easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884179"
StanSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #20
ZildjianKX

I just got off the phone with TiVo (after being on hold for 30 minutes, argg!). I got the $99 lifetime applied to my old series 3, my prepay plan was up April 30th.

I have to admit, TiVo really pissed me off from:
1. Not adding M-card support to the series 3
2. Not having a lifetime for it, then bringing it back later
3. Price dropping the units from $800 to $200

I know things fall in price, but it just made my feel even more screwed as an early adopter. I think this was a good move on their part, I probably would have cancelled my service if it was't for this. I'm more likely to buy a series 4 with a lifetime because of this as well.

Edit - I actually never received the email, I just told them my 3-year prepay was up and I read about people getting a $99 upgrade online and asked if it applied to me.
ZildjianKX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #21
djwilso

My 3 year prepaid was over in November 2009, and I renewed with another 1 year.

Perfect timing as usual...
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #22
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

My 3-year service on my S3 expired last month, and I went for lifetime when they offered me $100 off. Now I don't suppose they'll refund the difference. Maybe they'd let me apply it to my S2? Hmm...

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #23
MediaLivingRoom

WTF, TiVo loses Shanon and now they are having a fire sale.....

Where is my official iPhone/iPod Touch Remote?
Where is my DVD ripped playback.
Where is my Hulu app

Do something TiVo, and do something fast!!!!
MediaLivingRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #24
MickeS

Quote:
I missed this post...

I have a 3-year commitment with monthly payments.
Then again, maybe I'll get lucky.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #25
wdwms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianKX View Post
1. Not adding M-card support to the series 3
2. Not having a lifetime for it, then bringing it back later
1. Mcard support has to do w/the hardware; not trivial to add it back in. This has been discussed ad-nauseum on here..
2. we all miss "deals".... sucks but its true..
3. welcome to the world of technology. What tech doesn't drop in price.. early adopters pay $$$. The extra money one pays to adopt early covers the enjoyment cost of having for a long period of time. So would you have rather have had 3 years of no HD capable Tivo and they buy one for $200 or pay the $800 and enjoy more than 3 years. I paid $800 after my lifetime service, i'm not complaining. I got the value out of the money I paid.

-t
wdwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #26
jbernardis

Quote:
I got two units 3 years ago in June. One was a 3 year pre-pay and the other was a 3 year commitment with month by month billing - it's what worked out best at the time. I guess, though, that I'm only going to be offerred this upgrade on the prepaid unit? I'll see in June.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #27
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianKX View Post

I know things fall in price, but it just made my feel even more screwed as an early adopter.
Number 3 isn't exactly true as the original more expensive Series 3 model with OLED, THX certification, 250GB hard drive and Glo-remote never got down to $200 correct (excluding any last minute firesales)?

We bought our 2 S3 units in December 2006 and paid $600 each (not including the $199 lifetime transfers from our 2 S1). Even though that was a lot of money, we've definitely enjoyed them. I think that our first S1 that we got in 2000 was pretty expensive as well with its tiny little 30GB hard drive. It was a Father's Day gift from my wife but I think it was $400 or $500.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #28
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaLivingRoom View Post
Where is my official iPhone/iPod Touch Remote?
Why do you need an official one? There are several available that work fine, AFAIK.

Quote:
Where is my DVD ripped playback.
I don't understand the question. You can transfer a DVD rip like any other video file. Are you looking for menu navigation?

Quote:
Where is my Hulu app
Against Hulu policy, apparently. You can't blame TiVo for that.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #29
ooeeoo

Question Life-Time subscriber

Hi, I need a question about my lifetime service. They tell me I cannot purchase a "HD" receiver and still keep my lifetime service. They tell me I need to pay 399.00 and 199.00(for the new HD receiver) Total cost would be 599.00. If something goes wrong with my current receiver,I lose my lifetime benefits. Are you saying That I can pay less than 599.00 To up grade to HD?
ooeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #30
ooeeoo

I have lifetime service. They say it is only good for the original receiver. If I upgrade to HD, it would cost 399.00 for a new lifetime service and an additional 199.00 for the HD receiver. 599.00 total. Are you saying I can get an HD upgrade for less than 599.00??
ooeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote