TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Boardwalk Empire - "To The Lost" - OAD 12/11/11 Season Finale

I cannot believe they really killed him off. I read the spoilers but I was so hoping they were wrong. I don't see how the show can be the same without him.

It also makes me dislike the hell out of Nucky. I know he's never really been a good guy or anything but I never actively rooted against him. Now I am. I do think that entire thing was out of character for him but apparently as he told Jimmy "you don't know me at all", neither does the audience. Boo.

So now Richard gets to do what next year? He's not had much of a story outside of Jimmy.

Margaret is really trying to get herself axed. Can't wait to see how that plays out next season.

More Luciano and Rothstein in the works though. YAY!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
Family

Jimmy said he died in the trenches of war, but for me he died last week. I hadn't read spoilers, but this was the only creatively acceptable ending after what they did to his character. Jimmy as a coldblooded killer was compeling, interesting, even likeable, but as someone who would continue to kiss his mother back when she approached his lips... well he had to go. Last week I said it was "jump the shark", but it's really a reboot with even a different Nucky & Margaret. And I don't like it. Like The Sopranos (who also killed off its best people) the show burned itself down after a few seasons. I'll probably be back next year for a peek because I'm a gluton, but The Boardwalk Empire I loved died too early.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I hope Nucky shoots Margaret in the face at the start of next season. I never did like her character and I like her way less now.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Oh and my favorite quote to date:

Rothstein: Flip a coin. When it's in the air, you'll know which side you're hoping for.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
cheesesteak
Meh.

Van Alden runs to Cicero, Illinois? I guess he'll be a Chicago gangster next season. How the heck did he get the babysitter to move and pretend to be his wife? Where's his money coming from?

Margaret deserves a bullet next year for that dick move with the land deed. The priest needs to get got too if he accepts it from her.

I think we all saw the Nucky/Margaret marriage from a mile away.

I didn't see Jimmy's death coming at all. His character had outlived his usefulness though. He was totally useless as a leader of businessmen and gangsters. He was basically a small time thug who Peter Principal'd out of his league. Christmas is going to suck this year at the Dormidy house.

I don't like Nucky actually doing the wet work. I prefer him as a behind the scenes murderer. I still don't know why he double-crossed Jimmy. I guess he believed Eli's lie about the shooting. Did Nucky even know who Manny Horvitz was before this episode?

Eli wasn't paying attention during Shakespeare at school.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I assumed Nucky bought Eli's bs with this "I came to you and you spat on me!!" poor me speech. So on top of all that Jimmy has done, he now believes he lied to his face and tried to pin it all on his brother. No wonder he wanted to put a bullet in him. At some point it has to come out that Eli was the one that said to kill him (multiple times). Jimmy just made one bad move after another. He sealed his fate the moment he agreed to Nucky's murder. I think he knew it too and wasn't expecting to come back alive from that meeting given his goodbye to his son and giving him his dog tags and then not allowing Richard to go with him.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
cheesesteak
Meh.

So what happens with Richard now? Will he ever get a better mask?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Family

For me it boils down to who is left I like. Rothstein/Lucky/Lansky/Al/Richard... yes. Maybe Richard hops in with that crew. But what type of fictional gangster series has central mob characters who history says can not be killed? The entire Atlantic City crowd is either dead or dislikeable.

How does it come back from that?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
zalusky

To me the show is about Nucky and his long career. Everybody else rotates around and the fictional people are like red shirts on Star Trek, they will eventually be gone and they do not have a measurable impact on history.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
DanB

lots of folks dieing usually equals end of contracts.

how many seasons was this show originally planned for?
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
To me the show is about Nucky and his long career. Everybody else rotates around and the fictional people are like red shirts on Star Trek, they will eventually be gone and they do not have a measurable impact on history.
Are you saying the show would have been good with no Spock/Bones/Scotty/Sulu?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
Are you saying the show would have been good with no Spock/Bones/Scotty/Sulu?
You know what I am saying. This is a show about a real person. They can't deviate to much from history. As such You can't spend the whole prohibition error with Nucky's great Nemesis being somebody who did not exist.

They are now making transitions (it seems) to other stories such as drugs, and Chicago.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
You know what I am saying. This is a show about a real person. They can't deviate to much from history. As such You can't spend the whole prohibition error with Nucky's great Nemesis being somebody who did not exist.

They are now making transitions (it seems) to other stories such as drugs, and Chicago.
I thought they changed Nucky's name intentionally so they could have creative license to create a fictionalized version of Mr Johnson.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
zalusky

Quote:
I thought they changed Nucky's name intentionally so they could have creative license to create a fictionalized version of Mr Johnson.
Plausible point! Let's see how the show progresses.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
I assumed Nucky bought Eli's bs with this "I came to you and you spat on me!!" poor me speech.
But regardless of what Nucky now believes, having a guy who has betrayed you multiple times, and whom you have in his words "spit upon" when he tried to reconcile with you be a witness to your very first murder is sheer, unadulterated idiocy.

Obviously, this season is about Nucky crossing the line from corrupt politician to gangster. It will be interesting to see when this takes him. And, as mentioned before, how the cast members who until now have revolved around Jimmy will stay in the show.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
They changed what he was to suit Buschemi. He was a giant of a gladhanding politician Irishman.

I kinda doubt the real Nucky said, "Why did God give me this mug?" but Buschemi would. "You know. Funny lookin' "
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 12-12-2011 at 07:11 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #17
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

They didn't change his name? ummm...
Old 12-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
They didn't change his name? ummm...
Oh. Faulty memory. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_L._Johnson
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #19
Family

From Wikipedia

Premiering September 19, 2010, an HBO series titled Boardwalk Empire fictionalizes the life and times of "Nucky" Johnson, along with other players, at the start of the Prohibition era in Atlantic City. The series is produced by Martin Scorsese and Mark Wahlberg and stars Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson,[8] a fictionalized version of Johnson.[9] Show creator Terence Winter elected to portray a fictionalized version of Johnson to give the writers creative license with history, and to maintain suspense.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #20
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post

Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
VegasVic
Craps Player

Yeah I doubt Nucky dies of old age in the series
VegasVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #22
zalusky

Quote:
From Wikipedia

Premiering September 19, 2010, an HBO series titled Boardwalk Empire fictionalizes the life and times of "Nucky" Johnson, along with other players, at the start of the Prohibition era in Atlantic City. The series is produced by Martin Scorsese and Mark Wahlberg and stars Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson,[8] a fictionalized version of Johnson.[9] Show creator Terence Winter elected to portray a fictionalized version of Johnson to give the writers creative license with history, and to maintain suspense.
I accept the idea of creative license especially for individual stories and gangsters coming and going but I don't think they can wander too far. For example make him Senator or president.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #23
cheesesteak
Meh.

I don't understand all the people on other forums who say they won't watch next season because Jimmy was killed. They watched the show for just one character and that character wasn't the main character? The show runners must have a plan for a Jimmy-less future and I plan to watch.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:47 AM   #24
jradosh
Newlywed

I'm curious where it'll go next season, but if it focuses on the NY/NJ relations I'll be happy. Either way... I'm happy that the story writers allow major characters come and go.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #25
fmowry

This would have been a great series finale. I'll have to see the direction they go with other main characters outside of Nucky to see how it was as a season finale.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:57 AM   #26
kcarl75

Interesting interview with the Showrunner. He discusses the decision to kill Jimmy.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...rtems-season-2
Old 12-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #27
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I don't understand all the people on other forums who say they won't watch next season because Jimmy was killed. They watched the show for just one character and that character wasn't the main character? The show runners must have a plan for a Jimmy-less future and I plan to watch.
For the record, even though I know you weren't talking specifically to me (I don't think!), I did say I don't think the show can be the same without Jimmy but that doesn't mean to imply I won't be watching it. I just think the entire series so far has been so focused on Nucky and Jimmy's relationship that I'm not sure what the future of the show holds. It's going to be almost like a completely new show. I'm really interested and I hope this means they plan to bring other characters front and center like Rothstein, Luciano and Capone!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #28
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
For the record, even though I know you weren't talking specifically to me (I don't think!)...
No, not you. I was talking/complaining about the fan comments on Alan Sepinwall's site.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #29
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarl75 View Post
Interesting interview with the Showrunner. He discusses the decision to kill Jimmy.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...rtems-season-2
Good read. Thanks

I sure felt bad for the flunky sherriff that ended up taking the fall when Nucky's trial fell apart. Poor slob...

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #30
pmyers

2 big loose ends that Nucky needs to tie up....Richard and Jimmy's mom. Both are going to be super pissed and out for revenge!

BTW...what a great episode and season finale!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote