TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
KauaiMark

THR22 glitches

We held on to our old DTV HR-250 until it started to experience frequent daily resets. Fortunately DirecTv announced that they revived TIVO in the form of the THR22-HD.

Operational differences:
Lost the search by "category". When looking for the 49ers games, I could select the search by: Sports->Hockey->Sharks to limit the search list to the hockey games.

Now it's back to the general mix for all programs "sharks"

Quirky observations:
1) Occasional horizontal pixelation on some scene changes.

2) The 30min slip will randomly not work when toggling back to the other tuner. It shows a black screen and no recording progress. Changing up one channel and back again will restore expected operation on that tuner.

In the 10 years we had the previous HR-250, we never had these. But we didn't have HD service either.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen similar symptoms with the THR-22's. Could it be related to HD content or something else?

...Mark
KauaiMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
KauaiMark

New symptom - Missing recordings THR22 DirecTV Tivo

Something new quirk to the mix. DirecTV had a three day "Free STARZ movies" preview. I recorded about 6-7 movies to view later.

I watched a couple and then yesterday, I noticed that about half of the remaining movies disappeared! No entries in the recently deleted list. No clue what happened?

The "remaining recording space" status bar hasn't ever reached 2/3 (maybe made it to 1/2 but..) full but this dvr sure doesn't seem as predictable as our old Hughes unit. The Tivo suggestions list seems to have 20-30 recordings.

I just assumed that the dvr would start auto-deleting the "suggestions queue" before attacking the "now playing" list.

It's still infrequently not doing the 30min slip when selecting some challens.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
It may be that the recordings from the preview had an expiration date. But I agree that the THR22 has its operational quirks. You may as well learn to live with them since it seems increasingly unlikely they will ever get fixed.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
It may be that the recordings from the preview had an expiration date. But I agree that the THR22 has its operational quirks. You may as well learn to live with them since it seems increasingly unlikely they will ever get fixed.
BTW, that fact that the quirks will probably not get fixed is because of DirecTV, NOT TiVo. DTV has no interest in selling TiVo boxes, the only reason they came out with a TiVo box is because of contractual obligations when DTV and TiVo, "renewed their relationship" about 4-5 years ago. Then DTV dragged out the introduction of the THR22 for 3 years and it was an inferior product, compared to the HR-2x, because it was based on 4-5 year old specs, which DTV had no interest or intension of updating.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
That's one theory, sure. I doubt we'll ever know. My opinion is that blame can be laid at both houses. TiVo certainly doesn't have a good track record at delivering - I can't agree that it was DirecTV that "dragged out" the THR22 introduction. The HR22 hardware was the current platform when TiVo began work, and the published timeframe was much, MUCH shorter than what it ended up being.

That said, I received yet another promotional email from DirecTV touting the THR22 this morning.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
KauaiMark

Does anyone know what operating system is running the THR22 box?

I believe that the old Hughes box was running some form of UNIX.

Is the DirecTV THR22 running some sort of Microsoft operating platform?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Most likely some Linux variant. But what difference does it really make?
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote