TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
drumorgan
a "dry" funny

Househunters / Househunters International

One question. Why would these people only look at three houses and feel like they HAVE to purchase one of them? If there is a problem with the first three houses you look at, you ask to see a fourth.

There has to be some setup here to make this a tv show that we are not being let in on.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
inaka

They see many more than just four.
The show edits them down to only cover three.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah - I'm guessing that they look at many houses - once/if they find one that they want to buy they pick the next best two and go back and video the show.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
The Flush
Anonymous User

I thought I read that sometimes they pick one, and then find 2 others to look at as well.
The Flush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

I think I remember reading that the searching family has already found/decided on their new home and the others in the running are simply set up as "alternates" for show purposes. If you watch you can often see furnishings in one of the houses they look at and then see the same furnishings in the tag at the end that shows them settled in their new home.
Nothing is real any more.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
drumorgan
a "dry" funny

Thanks. That makes sense.

Also, lessons I have learned from this show:
Don't move to Nepal
Don't move to Manila
Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I don't watch the US version, but the International version fascinates me. It's really interesting to see how people live in other countries.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
TheDewAddict
No Mercy

Being an expat, I've received a few e-mails from casting people on the International version asking if I'd like to be on. They're always looking for people who already own a house, or have one under contract. They sometimes just rent furniture and temporarily re-furnish the apartments to make them look different. I'm in the middle of buying a place, so I e-mailed them a few weeks ago, but they had already found people for another Amsterdam episode. Too bad. I think you get something like $5,000 plus a DVD copy of the show.
TheDewAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
blogan

I always hated the "We're looking for a vacation home on a tropical island" episode. I am much more interested in the typical house of Scotland, Turkey, Greece, Egypt, etc. than yet another tropical island.
blogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
I don't watch the US version, but the International version fascinates me. It's really interesting to see how people live in other countries.
Like having the washing machine in the bathroom.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
drumorgan
a "dry" funny

I'm fascinated to see what people can afford in places other than Los Angeles. Not that I'd move to Kansas City, but for $250,000 they bought a $2Million house if it were here. Crazy.

(Or, maybe we are the crazy ones for trying to make it here)
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

I am a spoiled American, I get that, but the International episodes fascinate me as regards pricing. You see them looking at homes in a country like Belarus and the cost of what I would consider less than acceptable housing is very, very, very high.
A teeny apartment with a hotplate and a grimy bathroom can be four or five times what my larger home on a relatively park like property cost.
It amazes me.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
The Flush
Anonymous User

My favorite episode is one in Rhode Island where the couple argues over a $300 frame set pool. The husband thought it would be great, while the wife was worried about the maintenance cost. I think I thought it was funny because it was such a trivial thing, but they made a big deal about it.
The Flush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #14
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flush
My favorite episode is one in Rhode Island where the couple argues over a $300 frame set pool. The husband thought it would be great, while the wife was worried about the maintenance cost. I think I thought it was funny because it was such a trivial thing, but they made a big deal about it.
That's Rhode Island for ya.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #15
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumorgan View Post
I'm fascinated to see what people can afford in places other than Los Angeles. Not that I'd move to Kansas City, but for $250,000 they bought a $2Million house if it were here. Crazy.

(Or, maybe we are the crazy ones for trying to make it here)
+1

But then I look outside at our January 75 degree weather, and say, "Oh, yeah, that's why".
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #16
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
Like having the washing machine in the bathroom.
Or right in the kitchen amongst the cabinets there, as typical in the UK.

Or that in some places, the "Bathroom" is more or less a whole wet room, with toilet, sink, and shower faucets, with a drain in the floor. Or Japan, where there is a group of rooms for the one "Bathroom" we traditionally know. In Japan, they have the sink/laundry (usually a top load washer), toilet room (with hand washing sink, or automatic toilet), and bathroom, with a tub, drained floor, and comfort system or even spa tub.

Myself, I like watching episodes in greater Europe, other tha Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and sometimes France, and watch most current and former English colonies, and much of southeast Asia. I also avoid much of the Carribean and Latin America.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
drumorgan
a "dry" funny

At a friend's house this week. Her husband works on reality TV shows. And, I learned something new about Househunters. Sometimes when they can't find three similar houses to "hunt", they get a friend's house that is not even for sale and pretend it is one of the choices.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

I'm shocked.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #19
StacieH
betativowho??

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumorgan View Post
At a friend's house this week. Her husband works on reality TV shows. And, I learned something new about Househunters. Sometimes when they can't find three similar houses to "hunt", they get a friend's house that is not even for sale and pretend it is one of the choices.
I read an article about that just the other day.

What I (as someone who has lived overseas) hate about the HH International show is when Americans move overseas, yet expect American-style homes. I was actually embarrassed recently watching an episode where the husband was Norwegian, the wife American, and they were moving to Norway.

The wife was so stuck up about having an "American" home. There was one thing she said where even the (Norwegian) realtor looked pissed off and offended, though I can't remember what it was.

They ended up building a new home (way, WAAAAY over budget) so she could get some of what she wanted.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

If that's the one I remember they looked at a couple of really interesting homes- I think one was an old monastery or maybe nunnery with woodwork to die for.
What's the point of living in another country if you simply beam in a typical USA suburban home? That's one thing many American buyers dream of having- a home with a history.
Being offered it and scrunching up your nose in disgust blows my mind.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #21
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH View Post
I read an article about that just the other day.

What I (as someone who has lived overseas) hate about the HH International show is when Americans move overseas, yet expect American-style homes. I was actually embarrassed recently watching an episode where the husband was Norwegian, the wife American, and they were moving to Norway.

The wife was so stuck up about having an "American" home. There was one thing she said where even the (Norwegian) realtor looked pissed off and offended, though I can't remember what it was.

They ended up building a new home (way, WAAAAY over budget) so she could get some of what she wanted.
She was all hung up on a garbage disposal. Since none of the houses they saw had one, they decided to build a house with a garbage disposal.

But ... the new house looked exactly the same as the other 3 they saw *and* it was an extra $300k or something like that. My wife commented "wow, that's one expensive garbage disposal."
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #22
StacieH
betativowho??

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
She was all hung up on a garbage disposal. Since none of the houses they saw had one, they decided to build a house with a garbage disposal.

But ... the new house looked exactly the same as the other 3 they saw *and* it was an extra $300k or something like that. My wife commented "wow, that's one expensive garbage disposal."
That was it. I was horrified. She was insane. I would give my right arm to move to Norway, and she had no appreciation for it whatsoever.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #23
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

"Oh wow" <-- every home buyer, in every episode of house hunters ever.

Given that much of it is fake I guess they have a few catch phrases they feed to people on the show. This one is the most common. I also notice that almost every episode with a large closet the wife says to the husband some joke around it being enough for her clothes but not his.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #24
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH

That was it. I was horrified. She was insane. I would give my right arm to move to Norway, and she had no appreciation for it whatsoever.
My brother lives in Norway. With those prices, it'll take more than your right arm. :-)
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #25
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
"Oh wow" <-- every home buyer, in every episode of house hunters ever.

Given that much of it is fake I guess they have a few catch phrases they feed to people on the show. This one is the most common. I also notice that almost every episode with a large closet the wife says to the husband some joke around it being enough for her clothes but not his.
If you took a big sip of beer every time someone said "Nice" on the show, you'd be drunk in no time!
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote