TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #31
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

It would be awesome if Pete could insult some Filipino guy on a Mohawk flight.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #32
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
And yes, Pete getting punched a couple times was great. I did do something I never have done before with a Mad Men episode. I fastforwarded thru the Pete and what's her name in the hospital. I watched a minute or so and was just bored.

I did love the shot with all the directors line up in the windows. Nicely done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #33
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
I would not be surprised if Megan and Don have broken up at the beginning of the next season. Him walking away into the dark as she stayed in the spotlight was pretty clear that the honeymoon of their romance was over. They've actually had a pretty dark relationship. Unlike Betty where they kept of the facade of a happy couple, Don and Megan let the darkness shine through, from the fight after the birthday party dance, to being left at the HoJo to throwing a plate of spaghetti against the wall. Don put up with it as long as Megan stayed in the mold of what he wanted. Watching her screen test he realized she had some talent and he wasn't going to hold her back. But, it also meant he wasn't going to be the perfect husband anymore - hence the seedy bar and picking up the lovely ladies.
Yes. To me, the most logical interpretation of that closing scene is that the old Don is back. Why show that stylized shot of him walking away from Megan and into the bar with those shameless hussies unless Don is going to cheat (at a minimum) and possibly end the marriage? If the point was supposed to be that Don was going to say No because he loves being married to Meagan so much, then why not just have him have him say "no" or have him stay there and watch her do the commercial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida
I didn't like all the dwelling on Pete. I love office Pete, can't stand home life Pete. Him getting punched out twice was great though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
And yes, Pete getting punched a couple times was great. I did do something I never have done before with a Mad Men episode. I fastforwarded thru the Pete and what's her name in the hospital. I watched a minute or so and was just bored.
I've never found Pete to be interesting, though I do enjoy seeing him being punched. Not quite as much as I enjoy a seeing certain character on Game of Thrones being punched and/or slapped, but close.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #34
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
What kind of company is it where one partner can unilaterally give someone $50,000.
I thought it was pretty clear that Don said the company had six years to pay it back, but that they discussed it and decided to pay off Lane's portion early.

What did Lane's widow mean when she said Lane already had much more than $50k that belonged to him?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #35
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
What did Lane's widow mean when she said Lane already had much more than $50k that belonged to him?
I assumed that was her sense of entitlement showing, but I could be wrong.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #36
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
What kind of company is it where one partner can unilaterally give someone $50,000.
Quote:
I thought it was pretty clear that Don said the company had six years to pay it back, but that they discussed it and decided to pay off Lane's portion early.

I think is an interesting set of questions, especially when $50,000 in 1966 is the equivalent of $355,000 in today's dollars.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #37
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

It meant that she was still under the impression that they were well-off.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #38
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I think is an interesting set of questions, especially when $50,000 in 1966 is the equivalent of $355,000 in today's dollars.
Didn't Joan ask about the $50,000 and Don basically told her to mind her own beeswax? I'm surprised Don didn't subtract the $8,000 that Lane embezzled unless it bought him a clear conscience.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #39
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
It meant that she was still under the impression that they were well-off.
It's tough to figure out exactly what she meant, especially in the context of her other statement, which was something to the effect of they should never had let Lane think as big as he did, i.e. they made him believe he could do better than she felt that he had a right to expect, if that makes any sense.

So on the one hand, she says that he had given the firm far more than $50K, and on the other, she says that SDCP never should have let him believe he could be more than just a middle manager.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #40
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
All she got back was the capital call. Lane's partnership piece should have some value too. That needs settling too, unless she's going to keep his interest as a non-employee much as Bert's sister did at the old SC.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #41
mwhip
All better

Oh and was the storyline with Pete and the married lady that she has affairs then the husband sends her for shock therapy?

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #42
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Oh and was the storyline with Pete and the married lady that she has affairs then the husband sends her for shock therapy?
Seems like that with a bit of depression added in.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #43
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Ahhh the time before prozac...lithium and shock treatment.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #44
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

This cracked me up. From the partner meeting (I'm paraphrasing):

Pete: I have to go. I give Don my proxy.

Don: We can do that?
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #45
avery

Quote:
Quote:
I'd be more inclined to say her tendency towards depression is what drives her to the affairs. She certainly isn't very well-balanced in general and she sure makes early-Betty look good by comparison!!

Pete seems to follow the same pattern... his description of his *friend's* situation mirrors hers, save the need to be medicated and hospitalized. I may be in the minority but thought that entire exchange between the two of them was really interesting.
avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #46
sonnik
Innovations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
I thought for a second that I was watching a series finale rather than a season.
It did have that "could have been a series finale vibe". The Office seems to do this on most season finales. I think that showrunners these days (who are passionate about their shows) would rather leave the show with some closure should something go wrong in the off season.

I think the "cliffhanger" is often viewed these days as a cheapened effort to get folks back next season, driven by the studio or network.

The camera work on Don as he was walking away from the filming set at the end was probably the most symbolic for me. It *almost* had a break the 4th wall feel, but seemed to signify that Don was walking away from a fantasy that he'd have the perfect life with Megan.
sonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #47
stellie93

I was fully expecting them to pan to her after Pete left and realize that she remembered him all along.

I think Lane's biggest problem was his wife. What a witch. Did it even occur to her that the stupid car gift was the last straw? Surely it will when she realizes they have no money, if someone hasn't explained it to her yet.

Loved the scene with Peggy and Don.....and the old man butt.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #48
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Don is in a lot of pain mostly when he sees Megan. It metaphors through his tooth. The only solution is rip it from his body.
wow. that is an amazing observation.!

I thought it was a good episode but as a season finale?

Not so much.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #49
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Mad Men season finales are always a little anti-climactic. The real action always happens in the penultimate episode, and Weiner then uses the finale to set up the next season's storylines.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #50
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I can't see how you could take away from their very deliberate cut that Don was womanizing again, they only showed him being approached smiling back, for all we know the next line was "no thank you I'm married" but we have to wait until next season.
What I took away from the last scene was that the real Don was back and he was absolutely going to cheat on Megan. Don cannot be happy; he has to mess things up; he only likes the beginning of things. His brother haunting him reminded him of all that.
The very fact that he went to the bar alone is evidence of his intentions.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #51
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I can't see how you could take away from their very deliberate cut that Don was womanizing again, they only showed him being approached smiling back, for all we know the next line was "no thank you I'm married" but we have to wait until next season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
What I took away from the last scene was that the real Don was back and he was absolutely going to cheat on Megan. Don cannot be happy; he has to mess things up; he only likes the beginning of things. His brother haunting him reminded him of all that.
The very fact that he went to the bar alone is evidence of his intentions.
And I completely disagree, if they wanted you to know he was cheating on Megan then show him post-sex smoking a cigarette, that cut is there for a VERY specific reason, so that we can each take what we want from that scene and will wait until the season opener to know what it really meant.

I'd say we're ALL correct until Matthew Weiner writes and films the next scene.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #52
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Mad Men season finales are always a little anti-climactic. The real action always happens in the penultimate episode, and Weiner then uses the finale to set up the next season's storylines.
Exactly like they do on HBO shows, where he learned his craft.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #53
MScottC

In some ways like the final scene of THE SOPRANOS... Left each and every viewer to make what they can of it. The only difference is, perhaps we'll have an answer in 9 months or so.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #54
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
And I completely disagree, if they wanted you to know he was cheating on Megan then show him post-sex smoking a cigarette, that cut is there for a VERY specific reason, so that we can each take what we want from that scene and will wait until the season opener to know what it really meant.

I'd say we're ALL correct until Matthew Weiner writes and films the next scene.
+1

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #55
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Yes. Yes. And Yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #56
tiams

Quote:

I think it was the husbands affairs that were the cause. He had affairs which deeply depressed the wife so he then sent her for shock treatments and she agreed to them because she wanted to forget. Her depression was caused by the terrible way her husband treated her (his affairs, keeping an apartment). Then to top off his despicable nature, while she was in the hospital, he wanted to go out carousing with Pete.

Last edited by tiams : 06-12-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #57
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I think it was the husbands affairs that were the cause.
I think Howard was sending her because of her affairs: The reason he started a fight with Pete at the end of the episode is that he realized Pete was the person she was having the affair with.
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #58
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
Pete got punched out twice
I hate the fact I feel ambivalent about Pete getting punched out twice. If not for the fact that he was upset about the other guys wife getting electro-shock therapy then I would have been thrilled he got punched by 2 different guys in a 5 minute span.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #59
tiams

Quote:

She seemed to know that the insurance policy paid off way more than $50,000 (I think it was $175,000) and the company was keeping the rest (as they had the legal if not moral right to do).

Last edited by tiams : 06-12-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #60
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
What about Pete's wife now agreeing to him having an apartment in the city instead of a pool? What fun the d-bag can have now!