TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
tabathadolley

Note Comcast and the 9.25 Additional outlet fee

My chat with Comcast. I asked them why I am being charged the Additional Digital Outlet fee for an extra box and remove, when all I have is a cablecard. Their response is that I shouldn't be charged that - but removing the fee inactivates my cablecard. I feel like they are just trying to get around the "first cablecard is free".

Tabatha > your pricing lists the first cablecard as free, however i'm being charged for cable card with with Digital Additional Outlet Service Fee
Tabatha > which on your pricing lists that as "(includes Digital Converter and Remote) (each outlet)"
Tabatha > I do not have a digital converter and remote. Just the cablecard
Claudette > Yes, you are correct, first Cable Card is FREE.
Claudette > That is not good at all.
Claudette > Let me pull up your account to check what's going on.
Claudette > I checked and you have two outlets, that is Primary digital box and additional box with CableCard, correct?
Tabatha > there is no additional box. i have a tivo with a cablecard in it, and then the digital box that came with the package
Tabatha > the tivo is owned by me
Claudette > I can surely make the correction for you here.
Tabatha > that would be great
Claudette > Let me work on switching your $9.25 charged cable card to $0.00.
Claudette > I have checked and what I cancel the charge it automatically disables your CableCard. I do not want your Cable card to get interrupted. Please allow me additional two minutes to work on this. In case that I can not still get rid of the $9.25 charge, we will file an account correction to our Higher Fix Department.
Claudette > I tried removing the cable card $9.25 however it will disable your cable card equipment. To prevent it from happening, let me file an account correction ticket to our Higher Fix Department.
Claudette > They will contact you within 1-3 business days for UPDATE and revised bill.
Claudette > We have successfully sent to our Higher Fix Department the complaint about the first Cable Card charge with reference number xxxxremovedxxxx

Last edited by tabathadolley : 04-03-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: post reduced in size since it's apparently too long to read.
tabathadolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
tabathadolley

I'm curious to see what Comcast has to say.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
The opening post is too long to read.

You could have just described the problem and thrown it out there for the rest of us.

I'd suggest a redo.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
tabathadolley

Too long to read?! Fine, I'll edit.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
cherry ghost

you should be charged for an additional outlet, but should also receive a small credit for using your own equipment

http://www.comcast.com/equipmentpolicy/?SCRedirect=true
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
tabathadolley

I understand that's why they are saying, but I'm not buying it. Additionally, they aren't giving me the credit anymore for my own box.

In speaking with the escalated billing, they are telling me that its 9.25 for the cablecard because it's more advanced than the cable card in their boxes. WTF?

I just want to leave Comcast! I would seriously move just to get another provider, but they are all the same from what I've seen.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
cherry ghost

I have four Cablecards, no Comcast boxes. One is free, three are $8.95 each but are all credited $2.50
Old 04-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
tabathadolley

Their explanation irritates me. They charge the same for a digital box as they do a cablecard. Their only fix was to give me Showtime free for 3 months.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
GBL
covert opiniative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
I have four Cablecards, no Comcast boxes. One is free, three are $8.95 each but are all credited $2.50
tabathadolley,

keep pursuing it, you are on the right track!

It may be a regional thing and it took me three months (billing cycles) to arrive at this, but I have 6 (S-type) cable cards in 3 S3 (OLED) TiVos and do not pay any additional outlet charges plus get a credit for bringing my own equipment (the bill does not exactly reflect all my cable cards):

I started with 2 additional outlet fees and one customer-owned equipment (COE) credit, I asked for 2 more COE credits which they could not do over two billing cycles; they would give me manual credits but only for one billing cycle. Finally I talked to someone knowledgeable enough who removed the additional outlet fees.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army

Last edited by GBL : 04-03-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added more detail
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
jrtroo
User

Escalate, you have got it right. If a box is included with your package, you should be "comped" for it by using your own box. This is often through a credit.

I had this same issue in the past- they corrected the charge and it turned off the cablecard. Eventually they settled on a monthly credit (and some lump-sum credits) as they apparently don't want to modify their billing system...
Old 04-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post

Really?!?! i thought FiOS was high at $4 for each card. But even with the credit and the one free card, that's still over $4.80 for each of the four cable cards? When I last had Comcast in 2008, my cable cards were free.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
SNJpage1

The $9.25 charge is for each output of a device to a TV. The Tivo has an output and thats why they charge you the $9.25. However, since that output is a device owned by you then they should credit you $2.50 for using your own device. Thats how they charge me here in NJ.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
tabathadolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
The $9.25 charge is for each output of a device to a TV. The Tivo has an output and thats why they charge you the $9.25. However, since that output is a device owned by you then they should credit you $2.50 for using your own device. Thats how they charge me here in NJ.
The problem I have with that is that their pricing lists it as "with digital box with remote". Their billing and techs confirmed that they are charging as if you had the box and remote.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
GBL
covert opiniative

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
FCC-CableCARD Know Your Rights See bullet point 3:
Quote:
  • Pay only for equipment you have. Your operator must give you a discount on any packages that include the price of a set-top box if you choose to use your own CableCARD-enabled device. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5).
  • Accurate information on the rental cost of a CableCARD from your provider. Your operator must list the cost of a CableCARD rental on its website or billing inserts and on its annual rate notice, and must provide you with this information when you call. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5), 76.1602(b). Typically operators charge $2-4 per month to rent a CableCARD.
  • Use your own set-top box without extra charge. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5)(C). Your cable operator may charge you to lease a CableCARD or tuning adapter, but may not charge you an additional service fee for using your own digital-cable-ready television or set-top box.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Really?!?! i thought FiOS was high at $4 for each card. But even with the credit and the one free card, that's still over $4.80 for each of the four cable cards? When I last had Comcast in 2008, my cable cards were free.
Ridiculous, isn't it? The $8.95 is charged as "Digital Access Fee - Includes: Cable Card and Digital Access"

Last edited by cherry ghost : 04-03-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
tabathadolley

Well after the last chat I had, I filed a complaint with the FCC and BBB. I asked them to give me a credit for using my own equipment, and the tech was SO rude. She told me that I'd already had this "resolved" and that they'd given me Showtime free for 3 months. The free Showtime was because I told them for 8 months that the signal in the living room was so bad that the image kept coming and going to the point you couldn't watch anything. It wasn't until they sent someone out to fix the cablecard issue that the Tech believed me and corrected the fact that I had NO signal coming into the living room. (I live in an apt building less than 3 years old - so I'm sure the lines were installed improperly from the beginning.) She wouldn't help me, said she escalated the ticket, but refused to give me a reference number. Funny, the last rep gave me one.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
SNJpage1

Send an email to this address:

we_can_help@comcast.com

I emailed them awhile back with a problem I was having with my cable cards and they helped. It is some one at the corporate level that replies to the email. I had included my phone number and I had a call from them 4 hrs after I sent the email and it was on a Sat. The person I delt with worked Fri thru Mon.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
tabathadolley

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

The 'the digital box that came with the package' probably has a cablecard in it. Return that and your cablecard in your TiVo should count as the free one.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
tabathadolley

I have two tvs, so that doesn't work. Additionally, I'm being charged for 2 boxes when I have one, a cable card, and my TiVo box. So I should be charged for two boxes minus a credit for having my own box. A better solution would be for them to charge me the cable card at $1.50 and I have the other box included in the plan. But no, they insist on charging me for two boxes with no credit.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #21
NGeorge

I actually now get a $5.00 credit ($2.50 x 2) for owned equipment on my bill for 2 Tivos, no additional fees--got a super cool rep who got rid of the $10 HD fee (since I don't have a Comcast HD DVR--and "since you have a Cablecard, they have their own tiers and we can care less what you get on them--it's up to you to provide the HD technology or not") and $8 "additional outlet fee" (I argued that they offer the first 2 "digital television adaptors" for free (basic cable boxes that Comcast provides), which are digital outlets--and since I brought my own digital equipment that Comcast didn't have to provide at all, why aren't my first 2 outlets free?) ...also got rid of the $1.50 x 2 "additional Cable Card charge" they tried hitting me up for since I have M-Cards (since they tried counting them as 2 cards--the "first card in each device is free" and I reminded them that it is one physical card)

Then a billing cycle later, 2 $2.50 credits for owned equipment started showing up, after over $20 in BS fees got refunded.

So life is good
NGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #22
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Comcast is going to say exactly what they've already said - the Tivo counts as an 'additional digital outlet' since she already has a box. Been there, done that. So have others. Comcast told the FCC in my case that the fee was justified since they also charge it for boxes. I of course disagree based on the latest card rules but I don't think the FCC will care unless more people file complaints.

OP, you're likely going to be stuck with it.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #23
tabathadolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Comcast is going to say exactly what they've already said - the Tivo counts as an 'additional digital outlet' since she already has a box. Been there, done that. So have others. Comcast told the FCC in my case that the fee was justified since they also charge it for boxes. I of course disagree based on the latest card rules but I don't think the FCC will care unless more people file complaints.

OP, you're likely going to be stuck with it.
I know I'm stuck with the fee, my argument at this point is that I"m not getting a credit for having my own box. This is a rule set by the FCC, so I don't understand what the issue is, other than Comcast is being difficult.

I'm not one to back down just because others have heard otherwise - I'll fight Comcast until they do the right thing.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #24
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabathadolley View Post
I understand that's why they are saying, but I'm not buying it. Additionally, they aren't giving me the credit anymore for my own box.

In speaking with the escalated billing, they are telling me that its 9.25 for the cablecard because it's more advanced than the cable card in their boxes. WTF?

I just want to leave Comcast! I would seriously move just to get another provider, but they are all the same from what I've seen.
Don't know where you live, but Verizon/Fios and RCN are both "Tivo Friendly" cable providers.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #25
tabathadolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
Don't know where you live, but Verizon/Fios and RCN are both "Tivo Friendly" cable providers.
The only thing available in our particular area is Comcast or Satellite. We would need to move to a neighboring city to have Verizon.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #26
tivohaydon

This is really confusing and I'm sure it's intentionally so.

If I had Comcast with two Comcast DVRs what would my bill look like? What are the fees associated with the first, and then any additional DVR?

And what are they supposed to look like if I substituted the DVRs with CableCards?
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #27
tabathadolley

What irritates me the most is that in their list of products and pricing, they don't indicate that having a CableCard costs 9.25/month. They only indicate the first one free, and each initial one being 1.50. So why put that list out there incorrectly, and why did they take away the credit for having my own Tivo box? The first month it was there - and after I paid the bill the credit was removed - now it looks as if i underpaid last month. WTH?!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #28
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBL View Post
tabathadolley,

keep pursuing it, you are on the right track!

It may be a regional thing and it took me three months (billing cycles) to arrive at this, but I have 6 (S-type) cable cards in 3 S3 (OLED) TiVos and do not pay any additional outlet charges plus get a credit for bringing my own equipment (the bill does not exactly reflect all my cable cards):

I started with 2 additional outlet fees and one customer-owned equipment (COE) credit, I asked for 2 more COE credits which they could not do over two billing cycles; they would give me manual credits but only for one billing cycle. Finally I talked to someone knowledgeable enough who removed the additional outlet fees.
You have god-like abilities. Who knew Comcast has such a thing inside it as "Tivo"

I took the easy route and cancelled. "What can we do to kepp you?" "Credit me for the 4 years you've been ripping me off"

Then they didn't cancel my service. They just noted my account. "Customer called to cancel and hung up before I finished."

I am NOT paying the bill for the last month of service I didn't use.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #29
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabathadolley View Post
What irritates me the most is that in their list of products and pricing, they don't indicate that having a CableCard costs 9.25/month. They only indicate the first one free, and each initial one being 1.50. So why put that list out there incorrectly, and why did they take away the credit for having my own Tivo box? The first month it was there - and after I paid the bill the credit was removed - now it looks as if i underpaid last month. WTH?!
Where are you seeing "each initial one being $1.50". That's only supposed to apply when a second card is required in the same device, like a Series 3.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...ablecards/#cc9
Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #30
Budshark

What Comcast is moving towards is an HD Outlet fee.

I can flip my chargest to the free side of the equation, IF I turn off HD. As long as HD is enabled on the cablecard, they are going to charge an HD outlet fee which is the $9.50. If you don't have HD, go fight them and you'll win. If you have HD... well good luck. I'm guessing that was the problem with the OP... they went to back the fee out, but the minute they tried to back it out they hit the HD barrier.

GBL's example above shows Standard Def... I'm willing to bet HD service is not turned on (except Locals since those fall under the retransmission...)
Budshark is offline   Reply With Quote