TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
bsmith1051

Question DD51 audio dropouts on encrypted channels

I was hoping this would be fixed by the new firmware but it wasn't. I also still can't say if the problem is on Tivo's part or Time Warner Cable (TWC).

About a month ago I upgraded to HBO (and other movie channels) but I can't listen to any of them in DD51, I have to switch the Tivo Audio output to PCM otherwise there are intermittent -- but continuing -- audio dropouts. I normally use a HDMI cable to link my Tivo to my Denon receiver but even swapping this for component-video and optical-SPDIF audio doesn't help, i.e., it is not an HDMI handshake issue.

I've actually been having this problem for as long as I've had the Tivo, I just hadn't realized it was specific to encrypted channels. Instead, I only knew of one local channel which exhibited the problem and so I ignored it; I now realize that this one channel is (illegally?) being encrypted, marked as not-copyable. So the common thread seems to be encrypted channels.

Is the problem my cable connection then? I've already had TWC double-check everything and, in fact, the problematic channels are all 'hotter' signals than the non-problematic. The strange thing, I think, is that the audio plays-back fine in PCM. Is that PCM signal separate from the DD5.1 or is it part of the DD5.1? Is there some other way of telling (on an encrypted non-downloadable recording) if the Tivo is recording the DD5.1 cleanly?

Or, any other suggestions? Thank you!
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Lars_J

Hm, now that you mention it I have also seen this - I do get audio-dropouts at least once per episode when watching 'Game of Thrones' as well. And it never seems to happen on other recordings.

(I only have my TiVo hooked up to the TV through and HDMI cable - no sound system)
Old 05-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
bsmith1051

I average about 1 dropout/min in Game Of Thrones.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
bsmith1051

If no one else is having this problem, what does that point to as the problem for me? This happened before I ever got HBO (and the SDV adapter) so maybe I have a bad cablecard? Are audio dropouts on encrypted channels a known symptom for a bad cablecard?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
clatrell

I've been having exactly the same issue with my Tivo connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR-591 receiver. AMC and MTV (so far) are completely unwatchable with DD. I really despise having to switch to PCM to watch shows. Any notion as to whether this a cablecard or tuning adapter issue?
clatrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
bsmith1051

It's not the tuning adapter, as I was having this issue beforehand. But it might be the cablecard. Also, and as I said in my initial post, I continue to have the issue after swapping-out my HDMI cable for an optical SPDIF so it's not an HDMI handshake issue.

I actually just bought a Denon 3312CI so I'll get a chance to test/confirm that it wasn't our Denon AVR-591 receivers....