TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Does your Tivo Premiere reboot?
No, never 122 34.86%
Possibly or Infrequently 104 29.71%
Yes, it reboots regularly 124 35.43%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 06-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
mzwilli

Tivo Premiere Reboots!!

I have a new Premier XL. The screen freezes, then plays for about 30 seconds then reboots.

I have been to heck and back with this problem. Many hours of diagnostics and talking to tech support.

They thought it was the signal strength, noise, power etc etc.

I ran new cables, got a UPS and noise filters. Did not help solve the problem.

I got a new machine on exhcange, same problem. Rebooted every couple hours.

Pulling my hair out and waisting a ton of time trying to debug.

Exchanged the second box for a third. The third has been running for 5 days no reboots. Amazing!

I am supposedly 1% of the customer base that received two defective boxes, but given my experience I am sure many of you out there have had the same problem.

If your box freeezes then plays then reboots, consistently, I'd say return it for a new machine if you can. My boxes passed all the tests and (disk) checks. Seems to be fine except it rebooted all the time.
mzwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
ShinySteelRobot

Mine reboots itself about every two weeks, not counting when it upgraded its software.
ShinySteelRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
avg99

My PXL was rebooting every 2 hours or so with the same, while watching a show whether live or recorded HD or SD menus the tivo became unresponsive the picture would freeze, then start playing again and within 10-20 seconds reboot. This started with the 14.4 update, Tivo shipped a replacement XL and the reboots have stopped.
avg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
DeWitt

I have both a Premiere and a Premiere XL. No reboots on either since switching to SD Menus.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
rrr22777

Bad harddrive.
rrr22777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Fist of Death
Bon Vivant

Infrequently since I've gone back to SD menus.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
_Ryan_

You may want to clarify the poll. "Does your TiVo reboot" is kind of ambiguous... Mine has frozen and required a manual reboot. It also reboots on its own when there is a software update, as it should. It has never suddenly rebooted on its own while I was watching something.
As folks said above, sounds like a bad hard drive. Hopefully your new 3rd box will be stable!
_Ryan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

No reboots on any of my Premieres. All are running the HD Menus.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
vstone

Mine reboots occasionally when trying to transfer or download podcasts. they tried to blame it on a router port, but I wouldn't let them.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
retired_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstone View Post
Mine reboots occasionally when trying to transfer or download podcasts. they tried to blame it on a router port, but I wouldn't let them.
Mine does the same thing; I've transferred my podcasts to another TiVo and since I've done that, I've had no reboots on the Premiere XL. Before, I was having about 2 or 3 per day, typically just when a podcast download started (typically a CNET HD Video Podcast). Prior to putting in the podcasts, I'd never had a reboot in over two months. (I use SD menus primarily.) It's not a consistent failure with every podcast so there's some combination of effects here which causes the problem. Note that the S4 is wired via switch to a Linksys dual band bridge operating at 5GHz in "N" mode and uses HDMI to a Denon receiver as do a HD and a S3, neither of which have any problem with the same podcasts. All the boxes are on the same UPS so it doesn't appear to be a power problem. I've switched the ethernet cables between boxes and it's always the S4 which reboots. Looks to me like there's a software problem with the S4 with either communications error recovery or some unusual downloaded data format.
1 TiVo HD 1TB Lifetime
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
booboo771

I had the same problem with my premier xl. They sent me another and it had the same problem of freezing for 20-30 sec then rebooting 2-3 minutes later. I got new cards, cables its on an APC battery backup to prevent spikes and drop outs, new ethernet cables, not wireless at all, ran a new cable from the main to the unit twice. Tried cold reboots hot reboots, tried with the cards in and out, cables on and off, still the same problem. Have four other tivo 3 HD's with no problem. Sent the unit back and got a tivo 3 HD XL. The only thing that seemed to drop the frequency of the problem was to put attenuators onto the line and drop the signal strength to get the SNR to 31. The problem was then the signal strength was in the 50's which can cause the unit to pixelate.
booboo771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
avg99

My signal is in the 70's range and I'm wired i am so glad mine stopped rebooting happy to say mine hasn't rebooted once since the xchange!
avg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
caddyroger

As long as I keep in the SD menu no reboots but if I change it to the HD menu it will lock up which requires unplugging the TiVo.
caddyroger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
Jonathan316

at least yours freezes before it reboots. twice now our Premiere has been just sitting there - not recording, just watching a standard channel, and its rebooted itself. no power fluctuations (its on its own UPS), no channel changing, no warning. just reboots.
Jonathan316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #15
SalP

I had a Series 2 for two and a half years without one problem. I got a Premiere XL the day they went on sale and had no problem for two months and then the spontaneous reboots started. The most egregious was just after midnight on a Sunday morning, I was watching an Amazon VOD HD movie for an hour, the movie was still downloading when it rebooted. After the reboot the Amazon VOD was gone from the TiVo box. I went too bed. Later that day I had to get Amazon to give me a credit for the movie and then download the movie again.

Switching to the SD menus made no difference to the reboots. The only thing I noticed on the reboots is that it always seemed to happen when I was watching a recorded HD program and then a Season Pass started to record. I don't believe it happened every time I watched and recorded at the same time, but when it did reboot that was the case. So I now I just don't watch a recorded program and record at the same time. It's summer anyway and maybe it was TiVo's way of telling me I was watching too much tv. I'm prepared to be patient because I was totally happy with the Series 2 and I like the Netflix streaming. Although the TiVo/Netflix UI is slow and unfriendly compared to the PS3/Netflix UI.

I'm using Tivo 14.4, Comcast Digital, Multistream Card, Wireless G, DSL.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #16
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

Removed USB Keyboard

Mine was rebooting regularly, getting up to point it was doing this once every day or two. The reboot usually happened when using the remote. The picture would freeze momentarily, start up again, then the system would reboot.

I tried a bunch of things, then remembered I had a keyboard plugged into a USB slot in back. I pulled it and those reboots stopped. I still get an occasional gray screen, but those particular reboots are gone.

So I figure that the USB keyboard subsystem isn't quite there, which is understandable since it isn't supported yet, as far as I know.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #17
Jonathan316

mine rebooted again right in the middle of Deadliest Catch the other night. i had it paused for about 5 mins (the show was a season pass HD recording). then i pressed play - and then left-paddle 3 times trying to rewind. the screen went black, all the lights on the front of the Premiere flashed on, and the thing rebooted. again.
Jonathan316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #18
pderocco

Mine freezes up and requires a manual reboot whenever it tries to contact the Mother Ship for guide data (or software updates). This is the second unit I've had, and both had exactly the same symptoms: a lockup in the "Getting info (Downloading)" phase. On this second unit, I was able to get through the software update and guide data fetch after several tries, but then I went away for three weeks and came home to find my Premier had crashed after a few days, I assume when it went back for more guide data. Once I rebooted it, all the guide data was obsolete, and I've so far been unable to get new guide data. I'm inclined to return it for a third unit, but the fact that two units had this exact same symptom leads me to believe that either they're all buggy, or there's something about my network that makes them all barf.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #19
Bsteenson
TiVo is no BS

Here's my tale of woe. TiVo Premiere started rebooting every 5 minutes to half an hour about five days ago, regardless of what I was doing or not doing at the time.

Called TiVo tech support. After going through some simple steps (starting it up without cable card, without cable, without network, etc.), the tech decided it was surely the external hard drive expander. I called Western Digital and the guy wanted to run through the same steps I had just been through with TiVo tech. I assured the WD guy that TiVo determined it was the expander drive, so WD guy agreed to send a replacement drive.

I hesitated to remove the expander, because that would mean losing 100+ hours of HD recordings, but finally I bit the bullet. Guess what. Within 10 minutes another reboot.

Called TiVo back. This time the tech said the problem would be solved with the new software that was going out. He said he would put my TiVo at the top of the list and I should force calls until I get it. Well, the problem with that is my TiVo wouldn't stay on long enough to complete the connection.

Called TiVo again. This tech asked me to unplug everything except the HDMI cable to the TV and the power cable, wait a couple of hours then start adding things back until one made it reboot. That way we could find out what the problem is. Well, duh, I knew where the problem was.

Nevertheless, I did as he said and TiVo still kept rebooting every 10-15 minutes. Called back and next tech said he'd be happy to send a replacement, but there would be a $49 exchange fee because it was outside the 90 day parts and labor warranty (by three weeks).

I said he had to be kidding and asked to talk to a level 2 tech. I reminded him I had been a customer for more than 10 years and was on my 9th TiVo, plus had been responsible for getting many others to buy TiVo. He finally agreed to waive the $49 fee.

Replacement Premiere should arrive today. (Oh, and I got the totally unnecessary replacement WD extender yesterday).

Fingers crossed ...
Series 2 DT (2); Series 2 (2); Series 1 (2)
Bsteenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #20
mzwilli

My third new machine is now rebooting like the previous two.

Freezes up for maybe 30 seconds, then a couple minutes later it reboots.

Did it twice last night in one hour. Very frustrating.

I have a UPS, noise filter, 85+ signal strength.

I've wasted way too much time with this box, it's been a big waste of time and money so far. Based on the poll on this thread, 25% report regular rebooting. This is obscene!!!

I really do not know what to do next...
mzwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #21
DaveWhittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzwilli View Post
My third new machine is now rebooting like the previous two.

Freezes up for maybe 30 seconds, then a couple minutes later it reboots.

Did it twice last night in one hour. Very frustrating.

I have a UPS, noise filter, 85+ signal strength.

I've wasted way too much time with this box, it's been a big waste of time and money so far. Based on the poll on this thread, 25% report regular rebooting. This is obscene!!!

I really do not know what to do next...
If you have a Twitter account, contact @tivodesign and let Margret know the details.
DaveWhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #22
Daniel Skeen

Mine reboots several times a day while in the HD menus mode.

This seems to happen more often when one or more recording lights are on.

Changing over to SD menus at Tivo's request helps. Fewer crashes but now we get the black screen of death as described else where.

Have tried everything I know to have my box updated or replace but I guess I'm SOL.
Daniel Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #23
gturpin

Angry Tivo Premier should you buy it? Maybe not!!

I am having problems with a TiVo Premier box also.

We originally ordered out 3 of the Series 3 refurbished HD Tivos. But every one of them had problems and finally we upgraded 2 of the units to the Tivo Premier.
Once we received them the other series 3 started having problems too.

1 of the 2 new premier boxes has worked from day one after it was installed. The second one is unable to have a name set in the Tivo so we can not transfer any programs to the other Tivo Units. So, Basically it is a brick that does share with the other Tivos.

We have been going through Tech Support to get the Tivo's up and working since the end of May.

We called Tivo and they ran us through the ringer and finally they replaced the new Tivo with a refurbished one. I didn't buy refurbished I bought a new one. It is now having the same problem it will not pick up a name from tivo.com.

To make sure it wasn't anything on the network, we removed the one from the living room and put it in place of the master bedroom. Wow, guess what the Living room tivo works fine in the master bedroom.

So for the last 2 weeks we have been talking to Level 2 support and they say that there is something wrong on the back end of their system.
Once again we got screwed by Level 2 telling us to connect to tivo and change the name and then try having the Premier tivo connect to tivo.com five times in a row and then wait 24 hours to see if the Premier Tivo in the bedroom get's it's name.

I am so mad at this premier tivo I just want to take a hammer and smash the thing into pieces and then send it back. Fix that.

The simple solution is to Replace the master bedroom tivo with a New Tivo Premier.

I have been with Tivo since series 1 and also the Sony Tivo that came out at the same time.

I have 6 units total 3 premier's and 3 Series 2 models.
The Series 2 even with the dual tuner never gave me not one problem.
You just hook it up go through the setup and that's it and it works from then on.

TiVo you really have let your Customers down on this one.

I use to tell all my friends and neighbors to buy TiVo, now I'm not so sure if that's a good idea anymore. I have really lost faith in Quality of the Technical Support, Customer Service and the Premier TiVo HD units.
gturpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #24
gturpin

We originally ordered out 3 of the Series 3 refurbished HD Tivos. But every one of them had problems and finally we upgraded 2 of the units to the Tivo Premier.

1 of the 2 new premier boxes has worked from day one after it was installed. The second one is unable to have a name set in the Tivo so we can not transfer any programs to the other Tivo Units. So, Basically it is a brick that does share with the other Tivos.

We have been going through Tech Support to get the Tivo's up and working since the end of May.

We called Tivo and they ran us through the ringer and finally they replaced the new Tivo with a refurbished one. I didn't buy refurbished I bought a new one. It is now having the same problem it will not pick up a name from tivo.com.

To make sure it wasn't anything on the network, we removed the one from the living room and put it in place of the master bedroom. Wow, guess what the Living room tivo works fine in the master bedroom.

So for the last 2 weeks we have been talking to Level 2 support and they say that there is something wrong on the back end of their system.
Once again we got screwed by Level 2 telling us to connect to tivo and change the name and then try having the Premier tivo connect to tivo.com five times in a row and then wait 24 hours to see if the Premier Tivo in the bedroom get's it's name.

I am so mad at this premier tivo I just want to take a hammer and smash the thing into pieces and then send it back. Fix that.

The simple solution is to Replace the master bedroom tivo with a New Tivo Premier.

I have been with Tivo since series 1 and also the Sony Tivo that came out at the same time.

You just hook it up go through the setup and that's it and it works from then on.

I use to tell all my friends and neighbors to buy TiVo, now I'm not so sure if that's a good idea anymore. I have really lost faith in Quality of the Technical Support, Customer Service and the Premier TiVo HD units.

I am mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

If they can't get this Tivo fixed or replaced with a new unit, I have half a mind to take it to there office and then see where it goes from there.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #25
photosurrealism

Wow, I haven't had any reboot or stability problems, but (as reported in another thread), network access to the TiVo only works for a couple of file transfers and then stops apparently until a reboot.

I just got mine- how often have software fixes been coming out?
photosurrealism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #26
gturpin

Old 10-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #27
daxem

This happened to me...

... After pulling my hair out for awhile and doing everything I could, including replacing the hard disk I figured out that any downloaded content (podcasts or video) causes the pause, play, reboot issue. I cleared all of my downloads out and the issue stopped. I can reproduce it if I download something and leave it on the TiVo. As soon as I remove the download (delete it and then remove from deleted items) the problem stops.

Kenny
TiVo PXL
daxem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxem View Post
... After pulling my hair out for awhile and doing everything I could, including replacing the hard disk I figured out that any downloaded content (podcasts or video) causes the pause, play, reboot issue. I cleared all of my downloads out and the issue stopped. I can reproduce it if I download something and leave it on the TiVo. As soon as I remove the download (delete it and then remove from deleted items) the problem stops.

Kenny
TiVo PXL
I wonder what causes this? With my Premieres I'm able to download the content and leave it on them indefinitely and it has never caused any issues.
I have been able to manually get it to reboot by watching a Netflix title and pulling the Ethernet cable, but in regular use I have never lost my INTERNET connection while watching Netflix since the last three years with FiOS has yielded 99.995% uptime.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #29
daxem

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I wonder what causes this? With my Premieres I'm able to download the content and leave it on them indefinitely and it has never caused any issues.
I have been able to manually get it to reboot by watching a Netflix title and pulling the Ethernet cable, but in regular use I have never lost my INTERNET connection while watching Netflix since the last three years with FiOS has yielded 99.995% uptime.
The problem seems to be caused by the presence of the downloaded material, not the download activity itself. I can download material with no problem. The problem is when downloaded content is present on my TiVo. Anything I watch will (not always, maybe 1 in 4 times) pause, play, and then reboot. This only occurs when downlaoded content is present on the drive, in my case it is usually Amazon VOD.
daxem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #30
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxem View Post
The problem seems to be caused by the presence of the downloaded material, not the download activity itself. I can download material with no problem. The problem is when downloaded content is present on my TiVo. Anything I watch will (not always, maybe 1 in 4 times) pause, play, and then reboot. This only occurs when downlaoded content is present on the drive, in my case it is usually Amazon VOD.
The majority of my downloaded content is from Amazon VOD. Is yours in HD or SD?
All of my Amazon downloaded titles are in HD.