TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
cootcraig

Interested in Premiere for Comcast and OTA

I have an external HD antenna and would like to get a Comcast TV product and a DVR product that can use both sources. The 2 tuner TiVo premiere is the only product I've found that does this. I'm interested in reviews from users that routinely use OTA and cable card sources. Does the program guide make this easy? Will the OTA picture quality be similar to using the antenna directly?
cootcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

You mean the OTA channels from Comcast vs. the actual OTA signal? I believe different Comcast areas may compress signals differently. So, it may benefit to note your area, or general Comcast region.

Mine looks fine, chicagoland.

Also, if my statement above is correct, all Tivo products can get OTA through Comcast.

But, if you need dual sources at the same time, the OTA over Comcast makes no sense to compare with unless you are thinking of going cable only.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
leswar
leswar

I have Comcast and the Premiere XL ( 2tuner, 2 RF inputs [one ant, one cable] ) using a cablecard.

When I tried to hook my OTA antenna to my Premiere XL RF (ant) input a message appeared on the screen that I couldn't access the OTA input while also using an active cablecard.

I have the Comcast digital preferred package.
leswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
muzzymate

I just moved away from having a OTA + Cablecard setup with the two tuner Premiere model. Had no problems and the guide date integrated nicely. Moved to a 4 tuner Roamio which I found out didn't have that option and was sad.
muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
cootcraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
You mean the OTA channels from Comcast vs. the actual OTA signal?

But, if you need dual sources at the same time, the OTA over Comcast makes no sense to compare with unless you are thinking of going cable only.
I like the HD ota signal and imagine it might be better quality than the comcast channel, so I would like the option to DVR from both sources.

I have heard conflicting reports on the ability to record 1 tuner from the cable card Comcast channels and 1 tuner from the antenna at the same time.

Last edited by cootcraig : 10-15-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: meant cable card, not cable modem.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
cootcraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzymate View Post
I just moved away from having a OTA + Cablecard setup with the two tuner Premiere model. Had no problems and the guide date integrated nicely. Moved to a 4 tuner Roamio which I found out didn't have that option and was sad.
So sorry, the Premiere two source is exactly what I would like. Could you record from each source at the same time on the Premiere?
Old 10-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by cootcraig View Post
I like the HD ota signal and imagine it might be better quality than the comcast channel, so I would like the option to DVR from both sources.

I have heard conflicting reports on the ability to record 1 tuner from the cable modem and 1 tuner from the antenna at the same time.
I don't think the word modem should be in your post. The modem is only used for internet access.
JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
cootcraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I don't think the word modem should be in your post. The modem is only used for internet access.
Sorry, I meant cable card to get the Comcast TV channels.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
e_identity

other threads

Some of the posts in this thread may have information useful to you.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=513129
Old 10-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #10
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I have an external HD antenna and would like to get a Comcast TV product and a DVR product that can use both sources. The 2 tuner TiVo premiere is the only product I've found that does this. I'm interested in reviews from users that routinely use OTA and cable card sources. Does the program guide make this easy? Will the OTA picture quality be similar to using the antenna directly?
The 2-tuner Premiere is the only Premiere (or later) model that can tune both cable and OTA channels. It will work just fine with a CableCARD/cable input and an OTA antenna input; tuning HD OTA is done using the digital channel numbers (like "2-1" vs. "2" alone). The available OTA channels is seeded with info from TiVo based on your zip code but you can also perform scans of OTA signals you can receive.

The TiVo records the digital data received. So what you see live OTA via any HD OTA tuner is what you'd see via the TiVo from OTA sources.

All channels are available in the program guide, though sometimes the guide data may not have subchannels correctly identified and you might need to report the subchannels involved to TiVo to get that updated. You can select the channels shown in the guide if there's some you want to show both from OTA and cable sources or just from one or the other, or from neither. Season Passes are based on the channel you choose, so they can be associated with either the cable or the OTA channel.

The two tuners are independent and there's no restriction -- they both can record from either source anytime, fully independently; both from either source, or one from each source.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #11
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
When you connect OTA antenna to the Premiere where cable is already connected and running, you must re-run Guided Setup and tell it "Cable + Antenna." Then it can record 2 channels from either cable or antenna (or one from each) at the same time.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
cootcraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
The TiVo records the digital data received. So what you see live OTA via any HD OTA tuner is what you'd see via the TiVo from OTA sources.
Very good. I have installed a large directional antenna pointed at the one HD transmitter array in my area. The only other issue I have seen is that the Premiere tuner may not be the best with a marginal signal. I think with the feed from my antenna there should not be an issue.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Very good. I have installed a large directional antenna pointed at the one HD transmitter array in my area. The only other issue I have seen is that the Premiere tuner may not be the best with a marginal signal. I think with the feed from my antenna there should not be an issue.
i have a premierexl using comcast+ota, guide integration is seamless, no issues at all. comcast here only carries the alternate digital channels in sd, so i frequently watch and record, switching between ota and cable.

i'm close to the local towers - with a small indoor amplified antenna, i get a solid signal, no difference in picture quality between comcast and broadcast.

good luck!

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
alexofindy

It is too bad Tivo has stopped making boxes that can do both OTA and cable card as seamlessly as my two tuner Premiere XL.

I have this system, and really don't want to give up the OTA capability. Major reason I wouldn't consider "upgrading" to a Roamio. For me it would be a downgrade.
alexofindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #15
cootcraig

Quote:
I have an external HD antenna and would like to get a Comcast TV product and a DVR product that can use both sources. The 2 tuner TiVo premiere is the only product I've found that does this.
I appreciate the information shared on this forum. Also I appreciate the customer service at Tivo. They assured me that PLS contracts can be transferred and verified registration on a TiVo Premiere with PLS on eBay. The seller did a great job of showing the unit identification including the PLS information. I have a Comcast cable card and look forward getting the TiVo premiere soon.

Last edited by cootcraig : 10-18-2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: grammatical fix up