Old 09-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #241
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I am not happy either. He is a ******.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #242
sharkster

Finally had time to watch recent ep last night. Boy was I surprised!

First of all, from the critiques (I know - that doesn't mean a whole lot), I thought it looked close but it was going to be Christine who got the ax then it would be Becky's to lose.

Nothing against Christine, of course, as she has been outstanding, but I'm now doubly sad because I thought the final should have ended up being Becky and Frank.

Josh has really been stepping it up lately, but I think they will give it to Christine in the end. Good for her and she is amazing. I really did want a Becky/Frank contest, though. I still think they were the best of the bunch, with Christine a close third.

As this one and Hell's Kitchen comes to a close next week, and with Hotel Hell already done for the season, I'm ready for a break. I have definitely enjoyed Ramsay nights but I cannot sustain 3 hours a week (2 hours actual time spent) much longer.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #243
WhiskeyTango

From early on, I had Becky as the favorite to run away with this. But she seemed to peak about midway through the show and then started to fall off ever since. That lamb dish that Josh did is what Becky's dishes used to look like. As much as I wanted both girls in the final, Josh did step up and produce when he had to and Becky didn't.

For a brief moment, I almost though Christine's blindness was an act. When she was standing next to Josh after the mystery box challenge, she turned to him and reached out and grabbed his arm. How did she know exactly where he was?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #244
plateau10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
From early on, I had Becky as the favorite to run away with this. But she seemed to peak about midway through the show and then started to fall off ever since. That lamb dish that Josh did is what Becky's dishes used to look like. As much as I wanted both girls in the final, Josh did step up and produce when he had to and Becky didn't.

For a brief moment, I almost though Christine's blindness was an act. When she was standing next to Josh after the mystery box challenge, she turned to him and reached out and grabbed his arm. How did she know exactly where he was?
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/06/21/ma...tine-ha-blind/

Quote:
“It’s a very common misconception that people think blindness is all or nothing, it’s not true at all,” says Christine, who gradually lost her sight between 1999 and 2007 due to an autoimmune disease called Neuromyelitis optica. “From a medical standpoint, doctors call my vision ‘counting fingers.’ If you hold your hand 10 to 12 inches from my face, I could count your fingers as long as the lighting isn’t too dark or glaring. The way I often describe it is that it’s like if you take a really hot shower and then you look into the foggy bathroom mirror, where you only see vague shapes and shadows.”

plateau10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #245
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by plateau10 View Post
Thanks, I hadn't seen that.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #246
plateau10

Quote:
Thank you. I was curious myself, but not curious enough to look it up until you mentioned it.
plateau10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #247
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by plateau10 View Post
Thank you. I was curious myself, but not curious enough to look it up until you mentioned it.
Tsk tsk.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #248
jamesl

the listings say this on Monday night Sept 10

hope nobody misses this
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #249
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
the listings say this on Monday night Sept 10

hope nobody misses this
The listings are correct; it has to move to Monday so SYTYCD can move its final two episodes to Tuesday, in order for The X Factor to start this Wednesday (so it can end before Christmas, presumably).
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #250
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

yay
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #251
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Happy with the results!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #252
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Glad Christine won but the entree was a mess. Looked delicious. So I guess it's not all about the presentation. Especially in her case.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #253
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

It sounded like Josh would have won if his lobster hadn't been raw.

Overall, I think Christine deserved the win. She was amazing all season - and I think they had to be hyper-critical for both meals as they were obviously exceptional (apart from the raw lobster).
Old 09-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #254
tiams

I don't think it would have mattered what either of them cooked, Christine winning was the better story. I knew from the start she would win and I'm glad she did.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #255
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

My recording got fouled up, so I just FF'ed to the ending.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #256
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I don't think it would have mattered what either of them cooked, Christine winning was the better story. I knew from the start she would win and I'm glad she did.
The better story for sure, but I thought it would be too Hollywoody. Notwithstanding my earlier cynical view, she 100% earned her win.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #257
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

Quote:
My GF said that. Not only do I disagree (she deserved the win regardless of her story)...but at the point of the finale, why would production care about who wins? Season over.

A good point a couple posts ago about her being consistently better through the season. I would have afforded her more mistakes and still let her win. It's an annoyance of mine how good chefs often get the shaft on these shows for one bad performance. In a competition about a profession, body of work should factor in.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #258
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
My GF said that. Not only do I disagree (she deserved the win regardless of her story)...but at the point of the finale, why would production care about who wins? Season over.
At the point of the finale, the story doesn't have an ending yet. The best story ending is Christine winning.

And I never said she didn't deserve it.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #259
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Marketability! The SHOW is over, but the potential profits aren't! There's the cookbook, personal appearances/management and other promotional aspects that they can cash in on.

Kinda like American Idol - it ain't over until they wring every last penny in record sales and appearances out of the winner!

Quote:
A good point a couple posts ago about her being consistently better through the season. I would have afforded her more mistakes and still let her win. It's an annoyance of mine how good chefs often get the shaft on these shows for one bad performance. In a competition about a profession, body of work should factor in.
Agreed, and I think in shows like this, they DO take that into consideration (along with what I mentioned above!).
Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #260
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Agreed, and I think in shows like this, they DO take that into consideration (along with what I mentioned above!).
Maybe I'm just wired to react based on the big deal the Colicchio has always made about NOT taking that into consideration AT ALL. He talks about it like he's proud and it irritates me.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #261
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

Quote:

And I never said she didn't deserve it.
No - but the implication was that she won because of her story and not her cooking. I was just disagreeing with what I inferred from your post.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #262
Craigbob

Glad to see Christine as the winner. Her palate and consistency gave her the edge.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #263
sharkster

Well, I'm kind of glad it's over. I kind of felt like Josh was the winner. Not that I was rooting for him, or either of them actually...I was still bummed that it wasn't Frank and Becky. But I was pretty sure that, unless there were glaring problems, Christine would get the win as long as it was close.

I don't think they chose her based on her challenges but sometimes I felt like she got a little edge here and there because of it. Over all I feel like these judges are fair.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #264
Cainebj

Quote:
Maybe I'm just wired to react based on the big deal the Colicchio has always made about NOT taking that into consideration AT ALL.
That's a different show with a different set of rules.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #265
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
That's a different show with a different set of rules.
oh, thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #266
mattack

After 10 or whatever of these, they need to throw all of the winners into Hell's Kitchen.

Or give the prize be a choice of whatever they get now and going onto hell's kitchen.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #267
robbhimself

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
After 10 or whatever of these, they need to throw all of the winners into Hell's Kitchen.

Or give the prize be a choice of whatever they get now and going onto hell's kitchen.
that wouldn't be fair, these amateur home cooks would run circles around the professional chefs
robbhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #268
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
What they get now is $250,000 and a cookbook published.

What you get if you lose HK: AFAIK, nothing.

What you get if you win HK: a $250,000 job as "head chef" (where you still have to work under the restaurant's "executive chef")

Not much of a choice, if you ask me, although giving the winner her prize and putting her on a future HK may not be such a bad idea.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #269
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Not to mention the fact that HK is a reality show and Masterchef is more a competition!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #270
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Master Chef is (so far) a classy show while Hell's Kitchen seems to attract an enormous percentage of trashy contestants.
I don't want any crossover.