TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
dsnotgood

help! Unsub Premiere premiere no longer has any DVR functions after power surge

I have 2 premieres with lifetime and wanted a third for a room rarely used. I got one at bestbuy a few months back just to use as a dumb tuner to rewind,pause tv and it was working great.

I had a power surge today and now no DVR functions work. No rewind, no pause, no fast forward. Nothing. The light blinks on DVR but Nothing happens. Also the tv shows that were recorded on it during my initial trail also do not work correctly. They play but don't fast forward, rewind, pause

did my TiVo just break? It is connected to a cheap surge protector and I tried resetting multiple times.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
I have 2 premieres with lifetime and wanted a third for a room rarely used. I got one at bestbuy a few months back just to use as a dumb tuner to rewind,pause tv and it was working great.

I had a power surge today and now no DVR functions work. No rewind, no pause, no fast forward. Nothing. The light blinks on DVR but Nothing happens. Also the tv shows that were recorded on it during my initial trail also do not work correctly. They play but don't fast forward, rewind, pause

did my TiVo just break? It is connected to a cheap surge protector and I tried resetting multiple times.
Can you check the software version? There was a software update this week. Maybe Tivo has changed the behavior of unsubbed DVRs.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
tattube

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
Can you check the software version? There was a software update this week. Maybe Tivo has changed the behavior of unsubbed DVRs.
I'm wondering....can you even get an update on an unsubbed unit?
tattube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
xsajohny

Angry

+1. They disabled the DVR functions with the latest update. I should have just unplugged the Ethernet - duh!
xsajohny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
dsnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsajohny View Post
+1. They disabled the DVR functions with the latest update. I should have just unplugged the Ethernet - duh!
wow...can they even do that legally?

argh! Just the other day too I thought about unplugging the Ethernet too! Crap well this sucks...any way to revert to a older software??

did your DVR stop as well? It makes sense that it did it after a power surge. It must have downloaded the update recently and the power surge caused a reset prompting the install.

since I bought this within 30 days I'm going to bring it back to bestbuy and
get another unit and just not plug in the Ethernet. Arghhhhh
Old 12-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
dsnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
I have 14.9.2.2
Old 12-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
wow...can they even do that legally?

argh! Just the other day too I thought about unplugging the Ethernet too! Crap well this sucks...any way to revert to a older software??

did your DVR stop as well? It makes sense that it did it after a power surge. It must have downloaded the update recently and the power surge caused a reset prompting the install.

since I bought this within 30 days I'm going to bring it back to bestbuy and
get another unit and just not plug in the Ethernet. Arghhhhh
You bought something that's designed to connect to TiVo's servers if it has an active internet (or, I guess, telephone) connection, and to request what TiVos request when they talk to the servers.

You had it connected to the internet. It connected with the TiVo server, probably asked what time it is and got a clock reset data stream, probably asked for guide data and was turned down because no sub, but probably also said "any software updates available?", and the TiVo server wasn't configured to turn down that request because of sub status.

Your machine asked for it, as it's designed to do, so I'm guessing, yeah, pretty much legal.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Let me get this straight...

The 14.9.2.2 update turns an unsubbed Premiere into a complete brick where you can't even use it as a dumb cable box?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
dsnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

The 14.9.2.2 update turns an unsubbed Premiere into a complete brick where you can't even use it as a dumb cable box?
yes. Correct. You can still use it to watch tv but no more live buffer! Hell it doesn't even let you rewind or fast forward the recorded shows on there either!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

What's the big deal on disabling pause/ff/rew for live TV? I don't consider that a show-stopper for unsubbed units, because that was always a freebie that you didn't have to have to watch TV anyway.

Sounds like it's NOT a brick, it just turns into a dumb cable box, which will still pay for itself vs. renting very quickly. Not worth getting all up in arms about, in other words.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

No way to pause/FF/Rew? I might as well watch the FiOS TV channels from my Xbox 360's.
I guess there are plenty of people that watch TV without a way to pause/ff/Rew, but personally I don't see the point. If I can't do that, then when you get interrupted you will miss part of the programming you are watching. And especially if a person is a sports fan, they want at the very least to be able to pause/ff/Rew.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
justinw

Then pay TiVo to get a sub on your unit. Wow what a concept. End this thread plz.
justinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Whew! So it's not a brick.

That's fine as I use a Premiere on a 3rd TV just to be able to tune the channels. I hardly ever watch that TV, so I don't care about the extra Live TV features.

Also, it doesn's surprise me that TiVo did this. They just made the Premiere less attractive to people who plan to use it unsubbed. Since the TiVo Service is how TiVo makes it's money and not hardware sales, they are doing everything they can to get people to subscribe.
I wonder if they plan to do this with the older platforms? I'm sure it would be easy to implement.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 12-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Whew! So it's not a brick.

That's fine as I use a Premiere on a 3rd TV just to be able to tune the channels. I hardly ever watch that TV, so I don't care about the extra Live TV features.

Also, it doesn's surprise me that TiVo did this. They just made the Premiere less attractive to people who plan to use it unsubbed. Since the TiVo Service is how TiVo makes it's money and not hardware sales, they are doing everything they can to get people to subscribe.
I wonder if they plan to do this with the older platforms? I'm sure it would be easy to implement.
A software update for older platforms?

Don't hold your breath.

They're still using the same kludge to deal with the Daylight Saving Time start and end date shift on S1s, and that's been 3 or 4 years now.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I invoke apples and oranges.

You're talking about an update that TiVo couldn't care less about vs. one that could affect the bottom line.

And I stand by statement that it would be easy to implement. It could be a simple patch to the software for all we know.

Edit: After thinking about it, I think that TiVo won't do this to earlier platforms because they know that those units can be hacked, and the effort would be futile.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 12-18-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
joblo

What’s really funny is they still don’t seem to have fixed the hole that allows unsubbed units to make manual recordings. I have an unsubbed 14.9.2.2 Premiere that is happily making manual recordings on scanned channels for which it has no schedule info, but all I can do with them is play them straight through, because all the transport controls are disabled. What a PITA.

Still, the ability to use manual recording to do timed channel changes would be useful in a digital cable/OTA receiver that feeds other DVRs...

Why TiVo doesn’t simply brick the unsubbed units instead of playing these games is a mystery to me...
joblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

Series 2 unsubed will update. I did one last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattube View Post
I'm wondering....can you even get an update on an unsubbed unit?
And I think I had a series 3 and SEries 4 also update without a subscription.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

huh, I will have to check the software on the unsubbed premeire I have

Quote:

and see if it is a 14.9.2.2
I know it worked as a time shifter digital tuner last time I had it plugged in without a subscription. You can't manually record though.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #19
xsajohny

My quick fix - bought a used one on fleabay (sold the old one same way), set it up and removed the Ethernet cable (i.e. no updates). Happy unsubbed times again!
Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #20
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

Quote:
My quick fix - bought a used one on fleabay (sold the old one same way), set it up and removed the Ethernet cable (i.e. no updates). Happy unsubbed times again!
But when you changed it over to your local lineup didn't it quit recording manually?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #21
xsajohny

Yip - I never cared for recording. I'm only interested in skipping commercials during the evening news. :-)
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #22
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

Tivo premiere on craigslist/ Tivo update does kill recording and time shifting.

I saw a Premiere on Craigslist for $35, so I thought ' well that is a good price for a digital tuner, and with manual recording and pause rewind too. The add said 'never used', but I found that to not be true. It worked OK for tuning channels, actually better than any Premiere that I have ever used. I am thinking that they have improved the tuner. It gets channels in my basement that my upstairs Premiers don't get it was manufactured Aug 2010. No wait, that isn't true, as I just checked my upstairs Premieres, and they were manufactured in Sept 2010. So the older Premieres have better tuners!? Anyway..... But I am getting off topic....

So anyway, I had read that the new Tivo software killed recording and the half hour time shifting, and sure enough,, that is what the box does. But still, it is a better digital tuner than the digital converter boxes at Walmart for $50, so still not a bad deal for $35. I will probably just put it the garage or kitchen to have TV without the pause and recording function. Although I don't know if I can live with that. I tried to watch some video on line, and they forced me to watch a commercial. I couldn't fast forward it or pause it or mute it without muting the whole computer. It was very frustrating. I have been spoiled by Tivo.

But I don't know if killing the Tivo box features was a good move for Tivos' bottom line. I feel that if someone used a Tivo for a while without a sub, then they might consider getting a sub to get the other features. But if they have a unsubbed Tivo and don't get to use some of the features, and thus get spoiled by them, it is actually less likely that they will pay for a subscription. I was using DVD Toshiba Basic service tivo for a while because I wanted to play DVDS, but just couldn't stand not having the full Tivo search experience. So that Tivo sits in a corner unplugged. And I am using a full service lifetime non DVD player in place.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #23
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I saw a Premiere on Craigslist for $35, so I thought ' well that is a good price for a digital tuner, and with manual recording and pause rewind too. The add said 'never used', but I found that to not be true. It worked OK for tuning channels, actually better than any Premiere that I have ever used. I am thinking that they have improved the tuner. It gets channels in my basement that my upstairs Premiers don't get it was manufactured Aug 2010. No wait, that isn't true, as I just checked my upstairs Premieres, and they were manufactured in Sept 2010. So the older Premieres have better tuners!? Anyway..... But I am getting off topic....
Despite negative remarks about Premiere tuners, my experience has always been that my Premiere's OTA reception is better than that of my TiVo HD. (Search if you want details of those discussions.) I just checked, and my Premiere says "Made in Mexico, 31-Aug-10" FWIW. I find it hard to believe that TiVo started using a bad batch of tuner chips (or demodulator chips) in Sept 2010, but I figured I would submit my (OT) data point.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #24
stlbluesfan74
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post

But I don't know if killing the Tivo box features was a good move for Tivos' bottom line. I feel that if someone used a Tivo for a while without a sub, then they might consider getting a sub to get the other features. But if they have a unsubbed Tivo and don't get to use some of the features, and thus get spoiled by them, it is actually less likely that they will pay for a subscription. I was using DVD Toshiba Basic service tivo for a while because I wanted to play DVDS, but just couldn't stand not having the full Tivo search experience. So that Tivo sits in a corner unplugged. And I am using a full service lifetime non DVD player in place.
Tivo is not making any money off unsubbed units. How would this hurt their bottom line? I think doing this will force people to get subs. Sure it might make some people mad. But in the long run, I think many people will give in a pay the sub fee.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #25
stlbluesfan74
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Despite negative remarks about Premiere tuners, my experience has always been that my Premiere's OTA reception is better than that of my TiVo HD. (Search if you want details of those discussions.) I just checked, and my Premiere says "Made in Mexico, 31-Aug-10" FWIW. I find it hard to believe that TiVo started using a bad batch of tuner chips (or demodulator chips) in Sept 2010, but I figured I would submit my (OT) data point.
I have two new premeire XLs and both are better than my old direct tv receiver. No complaints here.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluesfan74 View Post
Tivo is not making any money off unsubbed units. How would this hurt their bottom line? I think doing this will force people to get subs. Sure it might make some people mad. But in the long run, I think many people will give in a pay the sub fee.
Yes, of course Tivo is not making any money off of unsubed Tivos, but I was saying that a partially working Tivo might make some get use to time shifting and recording and decide that they would like the whole package. I started out using a Polaroid DVR and liked it and that is what got me into buying lifetime Tivos, as they are such better DVRs.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #27
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
The first thing a TiVo does when running Guided Setup is check for a software update. So if the previous owner does a Clear & Delete before sending it you're going to be screwed.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote