TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
libertyc

Internet Connection Problem

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so if I've asked an already-answered question, please direct me to the right thread. Thanks.

I have a Premiere XL connected wirelessly to my Linksys Wireless N router via the TiVo Wireless N Network Adapter. My router is connected to the Internet via a cable modem.

Things worked reasonably well to start, but lately I have been getting the "TiVo not connected to the Internet" message on a regular basis. Sometimes it seems to recover and find the connection after a few minutes, but last night it didn't. I've tried unplugging and replugging the adapter and also restarting the TiVo, but still no go. I know my wireless connection is working because other PCs I have wirelessly connected still work fine when TiVo gives me this message.

Any ideas or suggestions on what's going on here?

Thanks for the help
libertyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Is it geting a strong signal? Try moving the adpater up higher.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Mamoth

I get that and my TiVo is wired. It's rare, but I get it. It's odd because if I force a connection to the TiVo service, it connects fine. I just figured it was just another bug of the HD UI.

Course, it's only happened a couple of times and a reboot always fixes it.
Mamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamoth View Post
I get that and my TiVo is wired. It's rare, but I get it. It's odd because if I force a connection to the TiVo service, it connects fine. I just figured it was just another bug of the HD UI.

Course, it's only happened a couple of times and a reboot always fixes it.
I have not seen this on any of my Premieres when wired or the few times I have used them wirelessly.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
jaredmwright

I have a Premiere that is hardwired directly to my gigabit switch that experiences this issue every so often. I have had my new TiVo Premiere for about a week and have seen this about 6 times over several days. Similarly, it comes back on its own; I have not had to reboot to recover yet, although when it happens and I am browsing my recorded shows list, it kicks to the main HDUI TiVo screen which is rather annoying. It should be more graceful and recover at the same location you are navigating. Also testing the TiVo connection is successful. Not sure if this is a real TiVo bug in the HDUI or real network connectivity issues between our units and their services providing the online content for the Discovery Bar and other items.
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
DirecTV HR22 HDMI & Slingbox Solo COMPONENT
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
shaown

Ive been getting this lately late at night - I'm wired and my connection seems fine when its happening.
-Shaown
shaown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
jmil_draws

I've got my premiere wired to a router that is wirelessly bridged to my main router. I got it in July and it was working great until about 2 weeks ago. Now it seems that every time I switch to a new menu screen the connection goes off and on. The Netflix and YouTube Icons also keep disappearing from the "My Shows" list. It's driving me crazy, I'm about to call customer service.
jmil_draws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:18 AM   #8
tomhorsley

I was having this problem sometime with my hardwired connection. I looked at the logs on my router and found that the tivo was never asking to renew the DHCP lease. I reconfigured the tivo to have a static IP and haven't seen the network problems since then.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
AshleyKMclean

hi!

I am new to this forum and Im asking you guys to help me how to fix pc when it is a victim of software genuine counterfeit...please please do help me...It really hangs my pc...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AshleyKMclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #10
sts1

I had the same problem

I went round and round with TiVo over the last week regarding this problem. First, I was told that there was a problem with TiVO servers that would be fixed shortly. Then, the problem was my wireless adapter, even though the unit had connected with no problem before and no changes had occurred to my network. Then I was told that perhaps ports were not open. Of course, that didn't account for the connection my series 3 unit made with no problem, or, again, the fact that there had been no changes to my network.

I had various error messages from "can't connect to Tivo Servers" to "no internet connection". Or, the new software would start loading and then lose the connection.

Finally, I ran a 10 Base T cable through the house and connected it to the Series 4 directly and the new software loaded. I had to restart several times and the unit now works, and the data/guide is refreshed.

It seems like the HD menu is moving slower than before this update--and is freezing while moving through the playlist, finding new shows to record, or moving to the screen with detailed information regarding a particular show. The Discovery Bar also has not filled in.

I'm hoping this will resolve itself over the next few days--otherwise, I'll go back to the SD menus.
sts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
Claire199

Internet Connection Too

I'm also new to the forum. I have the same set-up as OP (Premiere XL w/ N adapter) also with a healthy internet signal. Have tried rebooting the adapter and Tivo as well. My tivo has never connected/downloaded on its own. Any success downloading has been when I initiated a connection (approx. five instances out of 30 or more attempts). I have received various error codes including n13, n07, n17, n11. I have attempted my connections at odd hours, suggested by Tivo Cust. Service, such as 3 a.m. ET to 9 a.m. ET. Like OP, regarding failures to connect, sometimes it progresses to "downloading" and sometimes not.

VOD pages didn't show up at all until a couple of days ago, and is very slow. I am using the classic interface. Of course, it would be rather silly to try and download a movie at this juncture.

I am seriously considering returning the Tivo. We have 2 other dvrs with our cable company. They are moxi which has a very nice interface, as nice as tivos, but the rented ones have only 12 hd hours and Charter is phasing them out. One of ours was replaced w/a motorola, which was substandard but did have 40 hd hours. We replaced the motorola with Tivo and it is in our family room where we really need space, whereas the rented moxis are in our bedrooms where we don't.

We could buy a dvr from Moxi with 75 hours hd (and buy mates as well) with some lesser internet availability (compared to tivo). If Tivos don't really download content from the internet, or if they are so sketchy with that technology, I would prefer moxi and could use the blockbuster within a mile of our house. It is only for our family room t.v.

My family - We are big consumers of electronics but we are not tech savvy, although I'd say we are at least in the average range. Ease-of-use is a high priority for us. We have iphones, ipad, macbooks, kindles, etc. I will say definitively that had I known Tivo would take this much time and aggravation, we would never have bought one. We previously had series 1 and 2 tivos but long ago switched to charter as we went hd. Those first ones were so easy to use.

Also, the moxis have 3 HD tuners! So I'm curious if others are as disillusioned as we are.

Last edited by Claire199 : 12-17-2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Add & Punctuation
Claire199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
Claire199

UPDATE:

Yay! It all works now! What else can I say? I guess it was a Tivo problem. We didn't do anything we hadn't tried before.

It's been working for about three days. We have even downloaded an Amazon HD VOD. Took two days to download (we have 25 Mbps) but we have 30 days to watch it, so that's fine. So, we have all the pages and menus and are receiving our auto scheduled downloads. Yay! Merry Christmas to you! Hope your tivos are working now.

Last edited by Claire199 : 12-22-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Add
Claire199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
sts1

still having the problem

So I downloaded the software update using a hardwire connection to the router. The tivo worked fine for a little while and then the same problem popped up. It seems to come and go.

I know this isn't a port issue because the other tivos in the house are working fine over the same connection.

I've tried unplugging the adapter, I've tried moving the adapter.

Next may be the static address.

I sure do wish this would stop happening.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
sts1

still losing connections

I'm still losing connections regularly with the premiere xl.

I assume that the ports aren't the problem, since the Series 3 connects without incident.

The Premiere connects sometimes through a manual connect/"connect to the tivo service now" but most of the time, that doesn't work either!

I'm wondering if this is a problem with the "N" adapter.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:32 PM   #15
hermantf

Same problem

I am having the same problem, but with 2 Tivo Premier's with wireless n adapters. Both have stopped connecting to the internet. I get different error messages. Sometimes I get a "bad gateway" error. Other times I get that the Tivo site is down and to try again later.

I have a strong signal. I have reset both n adapters several times and the set up goes smoothly. I've rebooted everything. My wireless router seems to be working fine, yet the Tivo's won't connect.

Does anyone have any insight on what's going on or on how to solve this?

Thanks
hermantf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
myblubu

My Premire is having the "no network connection" problem over the last couple days

Any update on this problem being fixed???

I've had my Premire for about a couple months and just started noticing the "no network connection" error over the last few days. I noticed the problem when viewing my recorded programs menu and trying to select a program to play, I'd get the error and a 'try again later' message. After a little while, the problem would just go away. Today its happening all the time (error, then finds connection for a few seconds then error again, repeating over and over...)

My Premire is connected to my router via a wired connection (NOT wireless). My network shows it connected and its assigned a static IP address.

This problem is very annoying, does anyone know if there is a fix for this problem?
myblubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #17
ragingfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubu View Post
Any update on this problem being fixed???

I've had my Premire for about a couple months and just started noticing the "no network connection" error over the last few days. I noticed the problem when viewing my recorded programs menu and trying to select a program to play, I'd get the error and a 'try again later' message. After a little while, the problem would just go away. Today its happening all the time (error, then finds connection for a few seconds then error again, repeating over and over...)

My Premire is connected to my router via a wired connection (NOT wireless). My network shows it connected and its assigned a static IP address.

This problem is very annoying, does anyone know if there is a fix for this problem?
Same here!

Wired connection, had my premiere for months now never had a problem!

All of a sudden I can't do ANYTHING because it keeps losing its connection. Tried rebooting, changing network cables, nothing works.

This is freaking ANNOYING!!!!
ragingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #18
mriman

makes one say "mmmmmm"?

My Tivo is having trouble maintaing a connection this evening... It does say a scheduled software update (here comes 14.7) is pending at 2am.

Think these two things are connected? Who else who just recently (today?) started having trouble is "pending software update" ?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #19
jrnewquist
Utility Infielder

Mine, too (wired ethernet, DHCP). Did a manual restart, and no help. Hmm.
jrnewquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
mhl

Thumbs down Internet Connection Problem

It's snowing outside, and my whole family has the flu, so it seemed like a great evening for us to sit back on the couch and watch a movie. Unfortunately, our TIVO Premiere has let us down. It came up with the same "No network connection" message. I did the following: (a) tried testing the network connection -- which worked fine; (b) restarted the TIVO; (c) plugged the (hardwired) LAN cable into my laptop to verify that the LAN does work; (d) told the TIVO to reconnect with the TIVO service. On (d) it hung "preparing the connection" for a long time and eventually did go through the entire connection/load sequence. So the network connection definitely is fine.

However, we still can't watch a movie. When we go to "browse TV and Movies" it says "Network Connection Down". After than, when we go to "Find TV, movies, and videos" it shows exclamation marks next to most of all of the menu items. So it is definitely broken in some way.

This is most disappointing.
mhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #21
zentec

Mine just started doing this tonight. It complains that my Tivo isn't connected to the network (it is) and doesn't have the Tivo Central top bar. Then it loads, but any menu changes gives a "No Connection" message.
zentec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #22
mhl

Following up on my post of a few minutes ago -- I discovered that the "Find TV, movies, and videos" stopped showing exclamation marks over a few minutes. And then I was able to select Netflix and start watching a Netflix movie. So whatever is wrong is intermittent, or only affecting the "Browse TV and Movies" feature, or something.
mhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #23
rmorton0573
Barney Fife, my Hero

tonight's Problem Lies with Tivo. It started happening on my premier so I called Tech Support and got a recording 3 times saying something like heavy call volumes and to call back later. So I called and selected "Purchase New Tivo" and spoke to a rep who advised that they were having some technical issues with the new premier update which caused an outage and it should be restored within 2 hours.
rmorton0573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #24
sircedric4

Same here

My Tivo Premiere, hardwired to the router just started doing this same thing this evening. I am hopeful that since this seems to be fairly epidemic right now that it isn't anything in my network.

I tried restarting the Tivo, replaced all my ethernet cables, and put it on a known working connection and still have the problem. (My living room has two ethernet cable connections to my router and the xbox works through both.) This is not a cable issue, and I have never had any problem with the Premiere and router till this evening.
sircedric4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #25
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentec View Post
Mine just started doing this tonight. It complains that my Tivo isn't connected to the network (it is) and doesn't have the Tivo Central top bar. Then it loads, but any menu changes gives a "No Connection" message.
Ditto. Just hooked up a new TP today and saw the same problem. My connection is wired, so it's not a wireless issue. I had previously set the IP address to a static one, which I do with all my boxes.

I had it six times in less than 10 minutes ... reboot solved nothing. The box is essentially unusable in the HDUI mode - I was getting "no network" error after almost every operation. During the 10 minutes, I noticed the blue internet activity light on the front panel, even though I could find no evidence of current activity or MRV transfer.

The only other thing worth noting is that this box is OTA only.

I wondered if this might be a hardware problem, but given that a lot of other people are having this (and others around the same time I did), maybe not.

I do have two other Premieres, but haven't run them in HDUI mode in months.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #26
Kivo

I just started experiencing this problem today. The status of my Tivo was "Pending Restart," which means I just got 14.7, but this problem happened before I rebooted. Today is the first time I've seen this and I've had the Tivo on a hardwired connection since the day it was released.

I haven't had any other problems related to my Internet connection other than with the Tivo.
Kivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #27
timstack8969

Just Did a "Pending Restart" for 14.7 software and now I am having Major Problems receiving Internet connection. Every time a Press the TIVO button it say's on Top of TIVO CENTRAL" No Internet Connection-Some features May Not Work" I'm using a "Direct Wired" connection Too!!!
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #28
DiverDownBrian

One more having this problem ... Nothing new to add ... just sharing in the pain
DiverDownBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #29
phooker
Paul

I have had a TIVO Premiere XL HD DVR for less than a week. We were going to watch a show we recorded to the DVR, but the unt said it came up with the "No network connection" message. I did the following: 1) tried testing the network connection -- which worked fine; 2) restarted the TIVO unit - hard reboot; 3) checked the hardwired LAN cable to verify that the NIC had a link; 4) Ran the TIVO Network check to reconnect with the TIVO service, which hung "preparing the connection" for a long time and eventually went through the entire connection with no problem. So the Internet connection is fine. 5) Still could not play a show from the DVR hard disk and still got the "No network connection" message. 6) After about 10 minutes, we were able to play the recorded show. ---------- Not sure why the DVR fails to play a locally recorded program. This sucks! ----------
phooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #30
DiverDownBrian

I did the online chat support ... was told to switch the SD menus ... it seems to have resolved it ... this is what they had to say:

"Chad: Yes, it is currently a known issue that our TiVo engineers are working on a fix for. Try switching back to the HD interface and see if the message is still displayed. Please go to TiVo Central and then select Messages & Settings > Restart or Reset System > Choose TiVo Menus > TiVo with HD Menus."
DiverDownBrian is offline   Reply With Quote