TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Robertsonland

Cox Cablecard Self Install

Hello,

I finally took the plunge to update my old, antiquated S1 to a Tivo Premiere. I've been reading the forums for a while now and haven't seen a lot of talk about Cox (Arizona) and the Tivo Premiere. It seems Comcast has the most comments here. I called Cox today (Tivo arrives in a couple days) as I figured I would have to schedule a truck roll to install the card and the tuning adapter however I was told I could do it myself. Has anyone else done this? I assume I should set up the tivo with cable card (but install telling tivo I'll install the cable card later?).

I've not set up a tivo in a long time and never with a Cable Card. If anyone has any tips/tricks/pointers I'll be happy to hear them.

Thanks
Robertsonland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
gespears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsonland View Post
Hello,

I finally took the plunge to update my old, antiquated S1 to a Tivo Premiere. I've been reading the forums for a while now and haven't seen a lot of talk about Cox (Arizona) and the Tivo Premiere. It seems Comcast has the most comments here. I called Cox today (Tivo arrives in a couple days) as I figured I would have to schedule a truck roll to install the card and the tuning adapter however I was told I could do it myself. Has anyone else done this? I assume I should set up the tivo with cable card (but install telling tivo I'll install the cable card later?).

I've not set up a tivo in a long time and never with a Cable Card. If anyone has any tips/tricks/pointers I'll be happy to hear them.

Thanks
That surprises the heck out of my because I just fought with them for hours telling them I could put the multistream card in and call the tech group, give them the tivo address and card number, but they insisted a truck must roll including charging me 30 bucks for the privilege.

If you aren't familiar with cable cards, tuning adapters and such I'd have them come out. Are you in Phoenix?

Be careful because you have to have a multistream card and a tuning adapter. They rarely roll actual Cox trucks and just have the contractors do this stuff now so it's hit or miss as to whether or not you'll get somebody who has a clue.

You might want to pm me so I can give you my phone number to discuss the particulars.
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I got my Premiere Monday. I pulled the cable card out of my HD and put it in my Premiere. It seems to work. I didn't even call Cox (Hampton Roads).

Although... I am still having problems in the Premiere as I did with the HD, with the grey/black cablecard message appearing on the screen at random times when it first tries to tune stations. It is very inconsistent. Not sure what causes it. Sometimes I am watching a recorded program and it pops up right over something I am watching because the TiVo is recording something new on another tuner. If I press "clear", it just goes away and continues to play my recorded program.

I suppose I could contact Cox, but I am afraid they will mess it up worse? Has anyone else seen this behavior?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
gespears

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I got my Premiere Monday. I pulled the cable card out of my HD and put it in my Premiere. It seems to work. I didn't even call Cox (Hampton Roads).

Although... I am still having problems in the Premiere as I did with the HD, with the grey/black cablecard message appearing on the screen at random times when it first tries to tune stations. It is very inconsistent. Not sure what causes it. Sometimes I am watching a recorded program and it pops up right over something I am watching because the TiVo is recording something new on another tuner. If I press "clear", it just goes away and continues to play my recorded program.

I suppose I could contact Cox, but I am afraid they will mess it up worse? Has anyone else seen this behavior?
I'm surprised it works because the cable provider is supposed to program the cable card serial number with the number of the specific equipment it is installed in. It is not supposed to provide your channel package if it doesn't receive the correct pairing codes. I suppose there could be basic package it will provide without the proper programming and communications with the central office, but like you are experiencing, the cable cards will complain each time an event occurs that makes them try to communicate with the cable company equipment.

Somebody who knows exactly how this works please chime in!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespears View Post
I'm surprised it works because the cable provider is supposed to program the cable card serial number with the number of the specific equipment it is installed in. It is not supposed to provide your channel package if it doesn't receive the correct pairing codes. I suppose there could be basic package it will provide without the proper programming and communications with the central office, but like you are experiencing, the cable cards will complain each time an event occurs that makes them try to communicate with the cable company equipment.
Yep, it surprised me, too! I have access to all the channels in the groups I pay for, just like I am supposed to. It only complains SOME of the time but never prevents me from tuning. It is exactly the same as when it was in the HD.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
sschwar2

For what it is worth - I moved my cable cards from my HD Tivo to Premiere last night on Timewarner NYC. Tivo customer service took down some info from my cable card screen, called TWC national hot-line and about 10 minutes later I was up and running.
sschwar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschwar2 View Post
For what it is worth - I moved my cable cards from my HD Tivo to Premiere last night on Timewarner NYC. Tivo customer service took down some info from my cable card screen, called TWC national hot-line and about 10 minutes later I was up and running.
Well, that is almost the same as you calling the cable company and activating/pairing the card. In my mysterious case, nobody was called at all! Pulled card out of HD, put in Premiere, done, works. Makes you wonder if mine is a special case on Cox or if this is typical for an already activated card. I just don't know.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
Robertsonland

Yeah I'm in Phoenix. Just got home last night from OH so Tivo is still in the box. Once I get the CableCard and TA from the COX store I will PM you. Glad to know any particulars for hooking it up.

I still haven't called the COX store to verify this (probably should have and will before I go up there) and we'll see what actually happens when I do.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

OK, I have an answer now. I called TiVo support and they noticed that under cable card, conditional access, there was a "?" next to "Val:". It should be a "v". So I called Cox. They showed the pairing was never completed and they re-paired with the new TiVo and now there is a "v" and those occasional cable card error screens no longer appear. Why it was doing that exact same thing in the HD, I guess we will never know. Maybe it "forgot" some of the settings over the years and it, too, needed to be re-paired.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
HD4me2

TWC experience

After running my new Premiere for 3 days, to check on infant mortality problems, I moved the CC from the HD to the premiere.

Did not work and subsequently failed when inserted in the HD again.
Called the TWC (San Diego) TA install number and got a helpful Tech. He had me go through a 30 minute routine which involved powering down the TA (and connecting it to the Premiere) and the Premiere, moving the CC to the Premiere, powering up the TA, waiting till the light turned solid and then powering op the Premiere.

Then had to give him the CC info displayed on the Premiere.
After a 5 minute wait while the Tech consulted with someone and the headend sent out a hit.

With in minutes my subscribed channels including SDV channels appeared.

Altogether a pleasant experience and no truck roll out needed.
HD4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #11
Robertsonland

Well as said on here and as I had feared I was given misinformation *GASP* by two support people and one supervisor. So I had to roll a truck. Was gonna be 3-5 tomorrow but a supervisor later on squeezed me in after I called to let them know about their misinformation. So hopefully tomorrow morning I'll be up and running.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2010, 05:43 AM   #12
gespears

Quote:
Well as said on here and as I had feared I was given misinformation *GASP* by two support people and one supervisor. So I had to roll a truck. Was gonna be 3-5 tomorrow but a supervisor later on squeezed me in after I called to let them know about their misinformation. So hopefully tomorrow morning I'll be up and running.

Thanks
Darn! I was going to use your case to make them give me my 30 bucks back.

Did you tell them it had to be a multistream card? Not all techs carry them. Plus they have to put in a TA also. I pm'ed you my phone number if you want to go into more detail.

Good Luck!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #13
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespears View Post
Darn! I was going to use your case to make them give me my 30 bucks back.

Did you tell them it had to be a multistream card? Not all techs carry them. Plus they have to put in a TA also. I pm'ed you my phone number if you want to go into more detail.

Good Luck!
Do they charge? I thought they were not allowed to charge for a cable card installation per FCC rules. I could be wrong.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
PedjaR

Quote:
Do they charge? I thought they were not allowed to charge for a cable card installation per FCC rules. I could be wrong.
They are allowed to charge, Time Warner charged me. They also charge a monthly fee ($2.50) for the cable card. They do not charge for tuning adapter.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
They are allowed to charge, Time Warner charged me. They also charge a monthly fee ($2.50) for the cable card. They do not charge for tuning adapter.
I know they charge for the cable card, itself. I just thought I remembered reading somewhere that they couldn't charge for installation, to keep it on even footing with their own boxes. Has been so long since I entered the cable-card arena on TiVo, I can't remember if I was charged or not.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #16
zowwie85

Quote:

Thanks
So did lightning strike and they had the cablecard + SDV adapter with them when they showed up?

If not, they WILL waive the fee (maybe even get it installed the second try) if you're persistent.

If the job is done... On the cablecard menu on the host ID screen it should read: One-Way Authorization Received. Your TA should have a solid green light on the front panel. If you subscribe to any premium channels you should be able to tune them.
zowwie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #17
woodmanr

I'm in Phoenix, and i just called Cox to have them install a cable card for my premiere. I told them it had to be an M-Card, and they said "Sorry, don't carry those, and we don't support the Premiere" Is there a work around?
woodmanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #18
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmanr View Post
I'm in Phoenix, and i just called Cox to have them install a cable card for my premiere. I told them it had to be an M-Card, and they said "Sorry, don't carry those, and we don't support the Premiere" Is there a work around?
I think you got ahold of someone that has no idea what they are talking about (unfortunately, that is not uncommon). I would call back and get someone else.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
woodmanr

So, i just called Tivo, and they did a 3 way call with cox, and got it all sorted out. Turns out the first rep i talked to was just an idiot
woodmanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #20
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Cox charged me $30 per TV/TiVo ($60) to "install" the CableCARD a year ago. And despite missing their first appointment. (They should pay me?) I also pay to rent the cards and for an additional outlet.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #21
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmanr View Post
So, i just called Tivo, and they did a 3 way call with cox, and got it all sorted out. Turns out the first rep i talked to was just an idiot
Yep, just like I said. Been there, done that.

It is truly amazing how clueless many of their "front line" people are (and not just Cox). If you don't fit nicely into their little scripts or little box, you are authoritatively told you are "not supported".

I got the same load of crap from Verizon many years ago (15?) when signing up for DSL and they asked what OS I was using and I told them "Linux"... "We don't support Leenuh [sic]". I told them that most of the Internet is run with Linux/Unix, most of their systems are run with Linux/Unix, and most of the technology used for the Internet was invented under Linux/Unix. Just connect the DSL line, I don't need "support". Of course it worked just fine (it was standard PPPOE at the time). At least when I switched to Cox, 6 years later, there was no such nonsense.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #22
tivoland3

Cox Phoenix told me it would be $49.99 for each CableCard install. The CS rep said they raised the prices. Can anyone that has had an install recently confirm this price increase?
tivoland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #23
JohnnyCruzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoland3 View Post
Cox Phoenix told me it would be $49.99 for each CableCard install. The CS rep said they raised the prices. Can anyone that has had an install recently confirm this price increase?
I had a CableCard installed the end of July and it was $39.95, too much considering I had to tell the technician where the slot on my Tivo was, which way was up on the CableCard, and what numbers he had to give the person on the phone to pair it, It was like a $39.95 self install.

When I called and complained, all I got was the typical "flowchart" response of "we have to do it so you don't bend any of the little pin things and ruin your Tivo"

Anyway, if you look on Cox's website, they have changed "professional" installation to $49.95, so that is probably true.
JohnnyCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #24
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCruzr View Post
When I called and complained, all I got was the typical "flowchart" response of "we have to do it so you don't bend any of the little pin things and ruin your Tivo"
so they want to take responsibility if an incompetent tech damages the TiVo. How lame is that answer.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #25
JohnnyCruzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
so they want to take responsibility if an incompetent tech damages the TiVo. How lame is that answer.

When I said to the lady "So, if I had not been paying attention, and he inserted the CableCard upside down, you guy's would have bought me a NEW Tivo, correct?" There was a Long pause, followed by "I'm sorry sir, we don't allow customers to install CableCard's, so I can't reverse the install charge"

She never answered my question...
JohnnyCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #26
CElbel

Thought I'd throw this in for Cox San Diego. Just spoke with knowledgeable CSRs in both tech support and sales. The sales CSR said that the monthly fee was $2.00...but the kicker was the $75 fee for the tech to come to my house. Again, the spiel about there being no customer self-install available droned. But he did offer to have the $75 spread out across three billing periods. Oh, how so generous.

My first question is why is San Diego $25 more expensive than Arizona .....
CElbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #27
jenmac

Cox San Diego and they quoted me $7.00 for the multi stream card. Something doesn't sound right....
jenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #28
Cspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmac View Post
Cox San Diego and they quoted me $7.00 for the multi stream card. Something doesn't sound right....
$2.00 according to to the SD page

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/sandiego/tv/pricing.cox
Cspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #29
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmac View Post
$2/mo in Hampton Roads...
Old 10-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #30
pavemental

Another Cox Phoenix customer, I'm getting a Premiere XL and having the M-card installed next week. $2+tax/month for the M-card. $49.99+tax for the install, but I complained (one reason I'm upgrading is because my Cox cable box keeps crashing the On Demand and I need to phone tech support to do a reset, if I reboot it doesn't solve anything) and they're giving me a $20 credit towards the install.
pavemental is offline   Reply With Quote