TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Hello? It's still freezing up here. Anybody still watching Ice Road Truckers?

I suppose it's implied since the new season fo Ice Road Truckers started weeks ago and nobody mentioned it.

Anybody still watching?

I sampled a few shows to see that Lisa is back and so is Hugh the Polar Bear and Alex.

Why in the h* do they still have Drew Sherwood and Rick Yamm in the cast on the guide? They musta had a contract for the whole run or something. I gotta guess that the Carlisle and the ice road mangers told the producers that they don't want those clowns anywhere near. As it was they watched Hugh and Alex real close until they proved themselves.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I started watching Ice Road Truckers on Hulu. I don't have cable or the history channel. I finished season 1, season 2 is almost done with 2 episodes to go, season 3 is not on hulu.com or history.com but I found it on netflix (queued), the current season 4 is only a few weeks along and on history.com, started june 6th?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
MarkofT

We still watch it. It's nice to come in after a 110° day and watch the alternate extreme.

They've been advertising the next series, I guess they ran out of places in NA where it snows, so they are going to the Himalayas.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Why in the h* do they still have Drew Sherwood and Rick Yamm in the cast on the guide? They musta had a contract for the whole run or something. I gotta guess that the Carlisle and the ice road mangers told the producers that they don't want those clowns anywhere near. As it was they watched Hugh and Alex real close until they proved themselves.
If anybody is a "clown", it's Hugh. He is the stereotypical brash, overweight, overego'd trucker. At the beginning of Season 2 he almost never left Fairbanks, because he had to signed off by the company's safety trainers, and they had some real reservations about him and his commitment to safety. They probably still do, but I guess the History Channel money was too good to pass up.

If they saw Season 1 they probably never would have let him use their trucks, given the condition of his own and especially the one he loaned to Rick, which didn't even have a working heater And then he had the nerve to call Rick a crybaby for complaining about the lack of a working heater. (I would make a comment here about Hugh's "insulation" being more generous than Rick's, but then I'd probably get flamed and accused of making fun of overweight people. Of which I am also a member.) And then the whole "I made him a man" comment about Rick. Please

I did laugh when that trucker on the CB told Hugh to take his fat azz back to Canada If I knew who it was I'd buy that guy a case of beer when I go visit Alaska in a couple of months. I guess the other truckers have had enough of his antics.

Alex OTOH is far more representative of a professional truck driver. For that matter so are Lisa and the other drivers. But I guess without Hugh it would be a boring show about trucking during an Alaskan winter.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I haven't seen but a few episodes of this show but I found it very intriguing. I think I just keep forgetting it's on!
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
...Alex OTOH is far more representative of a professional truck driver. For that matter so are Lisa and the other drivers. But I guess without Hugh it would be a boring show about trucking during an Alaskan winter.
Well, I'm thinking it is boring and I may be deleting the Season Pass...nah, I just let the shows get deleted unwatched.

The only new thing they add is more computer graphics of the terrible things that could happen.

Otherwise, it's "nnnn is halfway up the trail (show map) at nnnnn with xxx miles to go and it's snowing." Snooooooore.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
kdelande
TiVo-Wobble

Here's a season-by-season recap:

Season 1 - Pretty interesting profession and drama
Season 2 - More of the same, more manufactured drama, getting old and repetitive
Season 3 - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

KD

XBL: kdawg5
kdelande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
RonDawg

Quote:
Well, I'm thinking it is boring and I may be deleting the Season Pass...nah, I just let the shows get deleted unwatched.

The only new thing they add is more computer graphics of the terrible things that could happen.

Otherwise, it's "nnnn is halfway up the trail (show map) at nnnnn with xxx miles to go and it's snowing." Snooooooore.
I mentioned this in a different thread, but Season 2 wasn't all that special as compared to Season 1, where they did most of their driving over what are open bodies of water during the summer. Everything after that is simply a rehash of Season 2.

I haven't been watching this season, but as my U-verse DVR has been padding my recordings, I caught a glimpse of the preview of the upcoming episode where Hugh gets dissed over the CB. So naturally I had to record that episode

If History Channel wants something real special, have Hugh drive a load of munitions over Afghanistan's Salang Pass during the dead of winter. Let's see how the "Polar Bear" survives among warrior clans who are stuck in the 15th Century
Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #9
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdelande View Post

Season 2 - More of the same, more manufactured drama, getting old and repetitive

KD
Pretty much this... if they condensed it into 30 minutes with just all the good action shots, I'd watch it. otherwise, it's a snoozer after one season (doesn't matter which one, they all appear to be the same).
Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Wilhite
...no stinkin' title

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdelande View Post

KD
Yeah, it was pretty high on our list of stuff to watch in Season 1. The only thing that we didn't really like was the multiple resets after each commercial break that made a 30 minute show into a 1 hour show.

I don't even know if we watched all of Season 2. Probably so, but a bunch of skipping and fast forwarding.

I wasn't even aware that there were other seasons made.

Edit: Or what Hank said above. :-)

Wilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #11
RonDawg

Against my better judgment, I caught an episode of the latest IRT season.

Not surprisingly, Hugh is back, though at least in the one episode I saw he seems a lot more subdued. What was surprising was to see Rick Yemm back, as I thought he'd never work the same routes with Hugh ever again.. Lisa and Alex are also back. Alex's relief guy Dave from IRT: Deadliest Roads (the one filmed in India) also joins the cast.

This year it appears to be Americans vs. Canadians. Hugh, Rick, and Alex are working out of Winnipeg. Lisa, Dave, and a couple new members are working for Carlile out of Fairbanks.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:04 AM   #12
LifeIsABeach

Still ike the show as a summer diversion. Probably wouldn't watch furing the tv season.

Sounds like Hugh and Alex may have been thrown off Alaska's ice roads after last year's screwups. Certainly Hugh sounds bitter continually saying how Canada's ice roads are so much more dangerous (although it seems to be the opposite to me).

The new guy Dave was an arse in India and has continued with more of the same in Alaska. Wish they would throw him off the show or he would run into a ditch. They got a new hot girl to compete with Lisa for our attention. She is pretty green so they have not let her on the road yet.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #13
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
I watched IRT: Deadliest Roads. That was nuts. I only watched the first season of IRT. Since then, I've occasionally caught shows that just happened to be on the channel my TV was on.

Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.
BeanMeScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #14
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I've actually just started watching this show so I have lots to catch up on.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach View Post
They got a new hot girl to compete with Lisa for our attention. She is pretty green so they have not let her on the road yet.
The last few minutes of the recent episode with her in the hot springs? Yikes -- talk about sex pandering for ratings. I'm sure (ok, "hope") we'll start seeing some cat-fights between Maya and Lisa pretty soon. Surely they won't get along. They should both visit the hot springs to work out their aggressions.
Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
DeDondeEs

I liked this show in the first season. But after a while my thoughts were affirmed that these roads especially ones over water are monitored and maintained for safety, and the drivers are pretty safe too. But the show is edited like these drivers are in constant danger and they show animations of what could go wrong.

I would be more entertained by a show that just showed regular truckers hauling stuff across the interstates of the US. At least there would be more scenery and variety.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #17
Worf

Lucky. We're still running reruns of IRT: Deadliest Roads here.

I'd love to see how the IRTR experience changes those drivers now on regular IRT. (I still remember Lisa's comment from IRTR "I want to be back on the Dalton, where it's safe")
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 AM   #18
RonDawg

Quote:
Sounds like Hugh and Alex may have been thrown off Alaska's ice roads after last year's screwups.
They were all thrown off the ice road from Season 1 from what I understand. It is privately owned and apparently the company that owned the road was NOT amused.

OTOH the Dalton Highway is a public road (I drove part of it on my Alaska trip last summer) so they can't be restricted in the same way. I don't know about the Canadian roads being featured this season.

Hugh and Alex being restricted to Canada this season may have more to do with immigration issues. Although Canadians and Americans can go across the border with few restrictions, as they are on the show the State Department may require "entertainer" permits/visas. A similar incident happened to Top Gear for the episode when they drove a Corvette, a Challenger, and a CTS-V from San Francisco to the Bonneville Salt Flats.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #19
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
The last few minutes of the recent episode with her in the hot springs? Yikes -- talk about sex pandering for ratings. I'm sure (ok, "hope") we'll start seeing some cat-fights between Maya and Lisa pretty soon. Surely they won't get along. They should both visit the hot springs to work out their aggressions.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #20
MarkofT

Quote:
Sounds like Hugh and Alex may have been thrown off Alaska's ice roads after last year's screwups. Certainly Hugh sounds bitter continually saying how Canada's ice roads are so much more dangerous (although it seems to be the opposite to me).
Don't know about Alex, but Hugh probably decided he didn't like working in America anymore. Half the shows last year had Hugh at the weigh station. Rick never made an appearance on the Alaskan roads.

And Hugh is has the showman personality. The road he is currently on is always the most dangerous.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #21
IJustLikeTivo
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
They were all thrown off the ice road from Season 1 from what I understand. It is privately owned and apparently the company that owned the road was NOT amused.

OTOH the Dalton Highway is a public road (I drove part of it on my Alaska trip last summer) so they can't be restricted in the same way. I don't know about the Canadian roads being featured this season.

Hugh and Alex being restricted to Canada this season may have more to do with immigration issues. Although Canadians and Americans can go across the border with few restrictions, as they are on the show the State Department may require "entertainer" permits/visas. A similar incident happened to Top Gear for the episode when they drove a Corvette, a Challenger, and a CTS-V from San Francisco to the Bonneville Salt Flats.
They were journalists, they just collected facts. No entertainment was provided in the making of their reports.... ;-)

FWIW, I think Hugh is a jackass. I was happy when he was gone and sad that he is back.

Haven't see the Hot Tub episode but now have something to look forward to.
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #22
jeepair

Rick Rick Rick... keep saying this phrase. "When in doubt, power it out." Lol. Wonder why Rick was first in the convoy and not Hugh? I figured you would want the most experienced up front for situtaitons just like that hairpin corner.

I was suprised that Hugh said a load like this is equivilant to 15 loads on the Dalton. If that is the case I'd switch too.

Also, wtf? Don't these drivers check their vehicles out to see if they have any spare tires before they go 600 miles into the center of nowhere?

Hats off to Phil? for riding with Maya. She scares me from here.

On to Dave. I liked him on IRT Deadliest roads but seems like he doesn't like any suggestions or negative feedback. Either that or his first 'teacher' lit him up and hes still fired up about it.

No Lisa this ep? and I miss Jack.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #23
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post
Rick Rick Rick... keep saying this phrase. "When in doubt, power it out." Lol. Wonder why Rick was first in the convoy and not Hugh? I figured you would want the most experienced up front for situtaitons just like that hairpin corner.
I think the thinking here is to put the least experienced person up front, so he will set the pace. Otherwise he could get left behind, and could possibly be pressured to drive faster than he is comfortable with, though with a rear pilot car it wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Quote:
I was suprised that Hugh said a load like this is equivilant to 15 loads on the Dalton. If that is the case I'd switch too.
I missed every episode up to last week's but I'm sensing that Hugh...might actually be portrayed as professional this season At least for last week's episode and this, he hasn't been shown doing anything wild and reckless, except for the short blurb showing him thrashing one of Carlile's trucks last year, which then got assigned to Dave this episode

But, he easily got through that hairpin curve in one try, and without damaging his load, unlike Rick. Also unlike Rick, he didn't blow out tires on those bumps. His experience definitely shows.

Quote:
On to Dave. I liked him on IRT Deadliest roads but seems like he doesn't like any suggestions or negative feedback. Either that or his first 'teacher' lit him up and hes still fired up about it.
I liked Dave on Deadliest Roads but for some reason he's coming across as a total jackwad this season. He pissed off his first trainer, and then whined when he got the truck that Hugh drove last season.

Quote:
No Lisa this ep? and I miss Jack.
They were more focused on Maya's training and Dave's temper tantrums for this episode.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 AM   #24
jeepair

Guess this is still the thread, or nobody is watching?

Hugh, OMG. I thought the trailer was about to tip over after he blew a few tires. Don't you think if you were about to go 700+ miles into nowhere you'd have some sort of spare tire and a way to change it. Support Vehicle? A few bonus points for taking out the SKS and doing some plinking.

Alex, great job passing Hugh and picking up the dummies in the overturned truck. LOL, Lord bless these dummies. ROFLMAO.

Rick. Hats off to you for taking Hughs load the final distance.

Guy travelling with Lisa, roflamo. You see how big his eyes were when he kept saying stop to Lisa. How about you keep going a little until she stops? Something about him I don't like.

Dave, Jeez you sure turned into an ass since India. Or I just never saw it before.

I sure like that training guy with Maya. Seems like a nice layed back guy doing his job very well.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #25
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Against my better judgment, I caught an episode of the latest IRT season.

Not surprisingly, Hugh is back, though at least in the one episode I saw he seems a lot more subdued. What was surprising was to see Rick Yemm back, as I thought he'd never work the same routes with Hugh ever again.. Lisa and Alex are also back. Alex's relief guy Dave from IRT: Deadliest Roads (the one filmed in India) also joins the cast.

This year it appears to be Americans vs. Canadians. Hugh, Rick, and Alex are working out of Winnipeg. Lisa, Dave, and a couple new members are working for Carlile out of Fairbanks.
Quote:

I only caught about half an episode as I was channel surfing. I didn't have any temptation to restore my deleted SP.

All of the truckers on the Dalton worked for Carlisle. They won't say it, but we can guess that Hugh and Alex weren't rehired, just as they were banned after the first season. Note again that last season they didn't even try to get Rick hired and licenses in the US.. Remember that Hugh checked his load of generators and saw that they were banging against each other and said, "That not on me. I didn't load 'em," drove on to let them get thoroughly banged up and got pissed when he was called on it. Not a lot of point in checking your load and saying, "Yep. It's f*'d up."

Now we have F-up Rick back for entertainment but they're in Canada.

I'm surprised that Carlisle let the TV crew back at all in Alaska.

Sorry, Thom, I know you're trying everything but you dont' get any more of my time for "meanwhile 550 miles north in....." Enjoy your last season.
UVerse and OTA

Old 07-20-2011, 04:16 AM   #26
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post
A few bonus points for taking out the SKS and doing some plinking.
I was wondering about that...I thought Canada had very strict gun laws?

Quote:
Guy travelling with Lisa, roflamo. You see how big his eyes were when he kept saying stop to Lisa. How about you keep going a little until she stops? Something about him I don't like.
That was hilarious. Between his hubcap-sized eyeballs, and that parka he was wearing, I didn't even recognize it was Tony.

Quote:
Dave, Jeez you sure turned into an ass since India.
That he did, and he's being treated as an outcast by EVERYBODY. Obviously Rick can't talk to him over the CB, but I doubt Lisa would want to be associated with him either.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:27 AM   #27
RonDawg

Quote:
All of the truckers on the Dalton worked for Carlisle. They won't say it, but we can guess that Hugh and Alex weren't rehired, just as they were banned after the first season. Note again that last season they didn't even try to get Rick hired and licenses in the US.. Remember that Hugh checked his load of generators and saw that they were banging against each other and said, "That not on me. I didn't load 'em," drove on to let them get thoroughly banged up and got pissed when he was called on it. Not a lot of point in checking your load and saying, "Yep. It's f*'d up."

Now we have F-up Rick back for entertainment but they're in Canada.

I'm surprised that Carlisle let the TV crew back at all in Alaska.

Sorry, Thom, I know you're trying everything but you dont' get any more of my time for "meanwhile 550 miles north in....." Enjoy your last season.
I don't recall Rick EVER working the Dalton. IIRC he worked Season 1 on the REAL ice road, then was absent until Deadliest Roads. The only Canadian drivers I remember being hired by Carlile are Alex and Hugh.

I can certainly see Carlile not hiring Hugh again (especially seeing him thrash one of their trucks) but Alex acted professionally.

As far as why they let the camera crews back in...money talks, BS walks.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #28
WhiskeyTango

I guess it was just editing, but right before Lisa went into the ditch, she asked Tony if anyone was coming and he said just be careful. Then the truck comes by and off she goes. If she was the lead driver, why would she be asking the guy behind her if anyone was coming?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #29
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
I guess it was just editing, but right before Lisa went into the ditch, she asked Tony if anyone was coming and he said just be careful. Then the truck comes by and off she goes. If she was the lead driver, why would she be asking the guy behind her if anyone was coming?
I was wondering the same thing. He also saw the truck first and told her to watch out. Only thing I could think of was maybe she was going down a hill and he was still near the top and had a better vantage point.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #30
classicX
Don't scream.

I watched the deadliest roads one, and thinking I'd get into the original IRT I started recording it.

I haven't been in the mood to watch a single episode.

So to answer the OPs question: no.
classicX is offline   Reply With Quote