TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
willard

Transferring Cablecard & TA from TivoHD to Premiere?

Im thinking about upgrading from a TivoHD to a Premiere.

Could anyone tell me how hard it is to transfer both my Multi Stream Cablecard and Tuning Adapter from the HD to the Premiere?

I understand that the Cablecard needs to be re-paired with the Premiere but does the Tuning Adapter have to be re-paired also?

I am with Brighthouse in Indianapolis FWIW

I have called CS and they have no idea what is involved or whether the TA will need to be re-paired as well as the cable card. It's going to require a truck roll... I just want to know what to tell the Tech in terms of what needs to happen as based on past experience I am certain he will not have a clue.

Thanks in advance
willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Andyistic
Video acquisition

All the tuning adapter does is use the USB port on the Tivo to tell it which channel to tune to. It also sends information to the cable provider on which station to send back to you.
It has nothing to do with any kind of decoding. All of that is done with the cable card.
The cable card does have to be paired with the unit for which it operates with.
Andyistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
bdspilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard View Post
Im thinking about upgrading from a TivoHD to a Premiere.

Could anyone tell me how hard it is to transfer both my Multi Stream Cablecard and Tuning Adapter from the HD to the Premiere?

I understand that the Cablecard needs to be re-paired with the Premiere but does the Tuning Adapter have to be re-paired also?

I am with Brighthouse in Indianapolis FWIW

I have called CS and they have no idea what is involved or whether the TA will need to be re-paired as well as the cable card. It's going to require a truck roll... I just want to know what to tell the Tech in terms of what needs to happen as based on past experience I am certain he will not have a clue.

Thanks in advance
I didnt have a TA but I moved my cablecard from a series 3 to premier and it took about 5 min. on the phone with cable tech support. No truck visit.
bdspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
willard

I got my new Premiere up and running yesterday. Wow... that was easy! I am pleasantly suprised at how hassle free it was to transfer the cable card and tuning adapter from my old TivoHD to my new Premiere. I was able to do the re pairing of both the CC and TA on the phone. All the rep needed was the Premieres host id. Compare that to ten months ago when I got my TA installed and NO ONE at Brighthouse new what I was talking about and it took 2 truck rolls to get it working. And then 3 years ago when I had the CC installed in my TivoHD and it was the same story, no one had a clue.

It is encouraging that Brighthouse in my area seem to have got with the program regarding Tivo, Moxi etc. I wonder if Tivos marketing of the Premiere through Best Buy and Costco is responsible for enough new owners that their is finally enough of a user base to compell them to buck up their act?

My TA even appears to be renewing its subscription Authorization automatically as well (for now) which it hasnt done since I had it installed.

Heres hoping my cautiously renewed optimism doesnt jinx me and the premiere spontaneously craps out or bursts into flames. HD Tivo use without cable co hassle and problems... feels strange like something is missing. It also makes me nervous; its quiet, too quiet!
willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Brighton Line

The self install instructions for our TA states you have to call and read the serial number but since it is already paired in your home do you have to do it again?
The cable cards you do, though.

This is Cablevision self install directions for TA your directions may be different:

The Tuning Adapter, when connected to a DCR TiVo or Moxi DVR, enables access to programming offered via our switched digital video (SDV) platform. Please review the reverse side of this card to familiarize yourself with the components of the Tuning Adapter before installing it.

Before connecting the Tuning Adapter to a TiVo or Moxi DVR, you must connect the device to the Internet or phone line for at least 48 hours prior to installation to ensure that you are running the latest version of the software. It is not necessary for you to have installed the CableCARD to perform this step.

1 First, find the serial number on the Tuning Adapter (it begins with the letters SAB) and jot it down below. You will need to provide this number to the Cablevision representative later in the process.

Tuning Adapter Serial Number: S A B __ __ __ __ __ __

2 Connect the coaxial cable coming in from the wall to the “CABLE IN” port on the back of the Tuning Adapter .

3 Using the coaxial cable, connect the Tuning Adapter “CABLE OUT” port to the “CABLE IN” port on the HDTV .

4 Plug one end of the DC Power cord into an electrical wall outlet and the other end into the DC-IN of the Tuning Adapter.

5 The green LED should now begin to blink. The Tuning Adapter will begin downloading the latest program and service information. This could take up to 15 minutes.

6 When the green LED is no longer blinking or illuminated, contact Cablevision Customer Support at 1-866-670-0855. You will need to provide the serial number you wrote down in Step 1 to have your Tuning Adapter authorized.

7 After completing the call with the Cablevision representative, press the Power LED button on the front panel of the Tuning Adapter. It should illuminate and remain on. If the green light does not illuminate, wait a few minutes, then press the button again. There may be a slight delay while the
Tuning Adapter authorization is completed.

8 Using the USB cable, connect the USB port on the back of
the Tuning Adapter to one of the USB ports on the DCR TiVo or Moxi DVR. Then, follow the on-screen instructions and press continue. This completes the Tuning Adapter authorization process
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
Ron-retread

My experience upgrading from the HD to the Premier was exactly the same on Comcast. After the setup, I was even seeing most scrambled channels, with a few exceptions that were in a seperate programming package, and VOD didn't work. I called Comcast, gave them the host Id and stuff, they sent another signal and everything worked fine.

Before the upgrade I went thru in my mind all the things that could go wrong, and didn't experience any of them.
Sony KDL 42V400
Apple Mac Laptop
Comcast Cable
Ron-retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
HiKent

I did just this with TWC two weeks ago. Took an old multi-card out of my S3 & moved it to a Premiere/XL4. Called the 800 number from the TWC web site & was *done* in under five minutes, including hold time.

Tech was knowledgeable & it just worked.

If only it had been this way five years ago...
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote