TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
KLINK

Controlling 2 Premieres with one remote

I currently have 2 TivoHDs sitting side by side and I control them with the 1/2 switch on the TivoHD remote. I am thinking of replacing one of the 2 Hds with a Premiere. I doesn't look like I can control them with the Premiere remote.

Can this be done with the HD remote or is there a way to do this with the Premiere remote?
KLINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
RoundTuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLINK View Post
is there a way to do this with the Premiere remote?
Not easily. You can control both with the S3/HD remote, but you would have to change the remote device ID to control both with the Premiere remote which would not be very convenient.

I use a Harmony remote and it works fine for controlling multiple Premieres.
RoundTuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
KLINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTuit View Post
Not easily. You can control both with the S3/HD remote, but you would have to change the remote device ID to control both with the Premiere remote which would not be very convenient.
I know how to do it with the HD Remote. How do you do it with the Premiere remote?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLINK View Post
I know how to do it with the HD Remote. How do you do it with the Premiere remote?
You set one unit as #1, the other as #2 and swap the remote code by reprogramming on the fly, there are a few folks here that swear it's easy to do, me, I prefer using an older remote with a 1-2 switch.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
pmiranda

Keep your old remote :-)
or buy one off ebay... you lose the 4 colored buttons and maybe something else I never use, but I've stuck with the SDUI.

I use a harmony to switch between my S3 and a Premiere... best of both worlds and it switches the inputs on my amp or TV as well.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
brianfuchs

To the OP: to do what you want, you'd use the old remote to control the HD Tivo and the Premiere. The Premiere can have a unique Remote ID just like the HD box does. You program the remote ID exact same way.

And trust me - you are not missing out by not using the Premier remote. The premiere remote has the same buttons, but they are in an annoingly different location. You would have a tough time adapting to the new buttons. Inexplicably, TiVo swapped the thumbs up/thumbs down with the channel and volume buttons. The pause and select buttons have moved as well, causing confusion to your brain that was trained to use the old peanut.

Don't feel you are losing out if it means you can't use the Glo or Slide. The backlit buttons are cool, and the Slide is a really useful (and overpriced) way to program SPs. Frankly, I can program SPs faster using my iPhone and the TiVo app. The four colored buttons on the Premiere remote are something most people will never use. Maybe someday TiVo will give them a real purpose.
TiVo 4. Premiere XL

Last edited by brianfuchs : 03-06-2012 at 11:27 AM.
brianfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfuchs View Post
The four colored buttons on the Premiere remote are something most people will never use. Maybe someday TiVo will give them a real purpose.
I'm not in front of my TV right now, but in the 20.2 Premiere HDUI in the new guide, I think you have to press the A button to change the guide options. Previously, you pressed Enter to bring up the options, but I don't think that works anymore.

Can anyone else confirm if my memory is right?
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
KLINK

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions.

My current tivo remote is not working right all the time. The left arrow key works less than half the time.

I am thinking of getting the either the harmony remote 300 from Best Buy or the original tivo remote from Amazon.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
pmiranda

One warning on the 300... you can only load codes for 4 devices... the TiVos and the TV will burn 3, only leaving one for anything else (like an AV amp, subwoofer, HTPC, BD player, etc.) Also, it doesn't have a display so if you program any custom buttons (I have some TV controls and a "sequence" for the to-do list) you'll have to memorize which button does which.
Of course if you're happy just using the peanut and just want to replace it, then the 300 should do fine.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
KLINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
One warning on the 300... you can only load codes for 4 devices... the TiVos and the TV will burn 3, only leaving one for anything else (like an AV amp, subwoofer, HTPC, BD player, etc.) Also, it doesn't have a display so if you program any custom buttons (I have some TV controls and a "sequence" for the to-do list) you'll have to memorize which button does which.
Of course if you're happy just using the peanut and just want to replace it, then the 300 should do fine.
What is "sequence"?
Old 03-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
pmiranda

The Harmony software lets you create a sequence of IR commands (everyone else calls them macros) to send with one button press.

For example, I created a "ToDo" sequence that sends TiVo followed by 2.
You can also program a Select-Play-Select-3-0 sequence to toggle the 30-second skip.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
KLINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
The Harmony software lets you create a sequence of IR commands (everyone else calls them macros) to send with one button press.

For example, I created a "ToDo" sequence that sends TiVo followed by 2.
You can also program a Select-Play-Select-3-0 sequence to toggle the 30-second skip.
Does that mean I could toggle closed captions with a single click?

Also how do set it up for 2 Tivos?
Old 06-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #13
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
You set one unit as #1, the other as #2 and swap the remote code by reprogramming on the fly, there are a few folks here that swear it's easy to do, me, I prefer using an older remote with a 1-2 switch.
Can you list out the detailed steps to accomplish this:
  • Setting each Premiere as #1 and #2
  • Setting/changing the remote from #1 and #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #14
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Can you list out the detailed steps to accomplish this:
  • Setting each Premiere as #1 and #2
  • Setting/changing the remote from #1 and #2

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...20one%20remote

Note: This info deals with programming a remote with a 1-2 switch. The same sequence works for remotes that don't have a 1-2 switch. Anytime you want to switch Tivos, you just have to manually use the programming sequence to switch.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 06-07-2012 at 07:47 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
KLINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...20one%20remote

Note: This info deals with programming a remote with a 1-2 switch. The same sequence works for remotes that don't have a 1-2 switch. Anytime you want to switch Tivos, you just have to manually use the programming sequence to switch.
Thanks steve614 and CoxInPHX for the info.

I got an Elite. Since it has four tuners I don't need to switch back and forth like i had to do with my two TivoHds.

I just use the Hds as a backup in case the cable goes out.