It's a keeper at our house.
2 DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR's
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #32
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
It's on eight times in the next five days....

6/5/12
10:01 PM "Pilot" A widowed Wyoming sheriff works to overcome the pain of his wife's death by dedicating himself to his job. (Repeat) 747 AETVHD
6/6/12
02:02 AM "Pilot" A widowed Wyoming sheriff works to overcome the pain of his wife's death by dedicating himself to his job. (Repeat) 747 AETVHD
6/7/12
10:01 PM "Pilot" A widowed Wyoming sheriff works to overcome the pain of his wife's death by dedicating himself to his job. (Repeat) 747 AETVHD
6/8/12
02:02 AM "Pilot" A widowed Wyoming sheriff works to overcome the pain of his wife's death by dedicating himself to his job. (Repeat) 747 AETVHD
6/8/12
01:00 PM "Pilot" A widowed Wyoming sheriff works to overcome the pain of his wife's death by dedicating himself to his job. (Repeat) 747 AETVHD
6/9/12
04:00 PM "Pilot" A widowed Wyoming sheriff works to overcome the pain of his wife's death by dedicating himself to his job. (Repeat) 747 AETVHD
6/10/12
07:00 AM "Pilot" A widowed Wyoming sheriff works to overcome the pain of his wife's death by dedicating himself to his job. (Repeat) 747 AETVHD
6/10/12
11:00 AM "Pilot" A widowed Wyoming sheriff works to overcome the pain of his wife's death by dedicating himself to his job. (Repeat) 747 AETVHD
6/10/12
Is this show based on actual events? Because right now there playing the pilot on History Channel.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #33
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
Is this show based on actual events? Because right now there playing the pilot on History Channel.
I don't think so, though someone said earlier it is based on a book series.

As far as why it's playing on History Channel, I suspect it's A&E Networks' way of maximizing exposure, as they did by airing Hatfields & McCoys on Lifetime of all places.

Last edited by RonDawg : 06-10-2012 at 12:53 AM.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #34
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

History Channel also has started showing a lot of science documentaries. I'm guessing all this is a strategy to become known for showing something...anything...other than WWII docs.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #35
sieglinde

From the beginning the History channel has strived to not be "Hitler all the time everytime" so they are struggling because we have so much good footage of WW II. The Nazi footage, the allied footage. Not so much Japanes footage. I suspect doing historical recreations of the medieval ages or that very good one about the War of 1812 are more expensive than just cutting and pasting more WW II footage.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #36
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Longmire is based on a series of (currently eight) mystery novels written by Craig Johnson, starting with "The Cold Dish."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/014...pf_rd_i=507846

The Cold Dish (2006) (paperback and Kindle)
Death Without Company (2007) (PB & K)
Kindness Goes Unpunished (2008) (PB & K)
Another Man's Moccasins (2009) (PB & K)
The Dark Horse (2010) (PB & K)
Junkyard Dogs (2011) (PB & K)
Hell Is Empty (Apr 2012) (PB & K)
As The Crow Flies (May 2012) (hardcover & K)

Paperback editions cost about $11, Kindle editions about $12 to $13. Apparently, Penguin Publishing believes in premium pricing.

Last edited by Graymalkin : 06-10-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #37
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
Anybody else find it jarring to see Longmire brandishing a modern semi-automatic pistol (Glock?) instead of a six-shooter?
He carries a model 1911 semi-automatic pistol. Which was invented and used toward the end of the Wild West era. I couldn't tell what the manufacturer was from the few close ups that I saw.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #38
sean67854
Why?

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr View Post
He carries a model 1911 semi-automatic pistol. Which was invented and used toward the end of the Wild West era. I couldn't tell what the manufacturer was from the few close ups that I saw.

Hmm.... I'll have to pay attention when I watch last night's episode, but would have sworn the top of his pistol was square. I guess when I revisited that memory I overwrote his pistol with Raylan's pistol.

(Shout out to Rhett and Link)

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #39
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Are we going to turn this into a season long thread? Doesn't look like there is enough interest for a thread per episode.

After watching the second episode I'm still spectacularly underwhelmed. The only highlights of this episode were Starbuck in the strip club and recognizing one of the actors from Homeland.

A couple of specific complaints from last night...

Spoiler:
Good God, you are really going with the storyline of the daughter being involved with the deputy running against Daddy for sheriff? Who didn't see that one coming a mile away?

The other thing that really annoyed me was Longmire making the comment of doing something yourself if you want it done right in relation to processing the car. I'm pretty sure doing it right doesn't include having your buddy hop in the car while you talk about your feelings. Sheesh.

I really want to like this show but it is starting off way too predictable/transparent. Obviously there is supposed to be interesting tidbits from his past sprinkled in there but the way it is being done is more distracting than interesting.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #40
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I liked it. Sort of a Justified Lite. I did keep thinking Starbuck when Katee Sackhoff was onscreen.
Sadly she exhibited the same annoying personality as her Starbuck character. Zero dimension as an actress.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #41
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Longmire is based on a series of (currently eight) mystery novels written by Craig Johnson, starting with "The Cold Dish."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/014...pf_rd_i=507846

The Cold Dish (2006) (paperback and Kindle)
Death Without Company (2007) (PB & K)
Kindness Goes Unpunished (2008) (PB & K)
Another Man's Moccasins (2009) (PB & K)
The Dark Horse (2010) (PB & K)
Junkyard Dogs (2011) (PB & K)
Hell Is Empty (Apr 2012) (PB & K)
As The Crow Flies (May 2012) (hardcover & K)

Paperback editions cost about $11, Kindle editions about $12 to $13. Apparently, Penguin Publishing believes in premium pricing.
Haven't read 'em but it bodes well for the show that the TV writers have a solid framework to base characters & story not that they should be dogmatic about it.

That said the excellent CJ Box mystery/crime/drama novels about a Wyoming game warden and his interesting family would make a great series.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #42
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

I'm done with this show. Gave it three tries to no avail. So many dumb things in last night's episode, but the clincher for my wife and I was...

Spoiler:
the standoff at the end. The whole shooting at Longmire until he repeatedly walked around out in the open. Then finding the guy in the cellar and screaming at each other while the gunman three feet above them can't hear them. Then handcuffing the guy UNDER the gunman. Hello, remove him from the situation!!! Don't try to sneak up on the gunman from inside or anything. Just run through the front door after the gunman can now magically hear through the floor. Oh, and don't bother calling for any kind of backup.

And the whole bit with the horses was terrible.

The writing is just so, so bad. In three hours they have not given us any reason to care about any of the characters. At this point I think it would probably be a pretty darn good idea for Branch to get elected and Longmire to ride off into the sunset.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #43
Jon J
Curmudgeon

I found the third episode over-the-top gruesome that really added nothing to the storyline. (Hope that's not considered a spoiler.) I won't endure many more like this.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #44
RonDawg

A big continuity problem in episode 3 as well. During the pilot episode, Longmire crashes his Bronco after seeing Branch's campaign billboard by the side of the road. Yet, when he shows up at the barn fire, the damage on the right side of the truck is no longer there. So, you'd think he finally took it to a body shop?

Nope. About 30 or so minutes later when they go to the house and end up in the shootout, the damage from the pilot episode has mysteriously re-appeared.

The producers need to fire their person in charge of the technical aspects of this show.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #45
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
Spoiler:
the standoff at the end. The whole shooting at Longmire until he repeatedly walked around out in the open. Then finding the guy in the cellar and screaming at each other while the gunman three feet above them can't hear them. Then handcuffing the guy UNDER the gunman. Hello, remove him from the situation!!! Don't try to sneak up on the gunman from inside or anything. Just run through the front door after the gunman can now magically hear through the floor. Oh, and don't bother calling for any kind of backup.
Call who for backup? Every single one of his deputies was there by the time he did that, including "The Ferg." I think the only employee of Longmire's that didn't show up was his secretary.

In rural areas, you can't rely on having on backup instantly available to you. If you've ever seen Alaska State Troopers on NatGeo, you'll see how sometimes one or (if they're lucky) two troopers will have to handle a situation that if backup were needed, it would take HOURS for them to show up.

As many technical inaccuracies as there were with this particular episode, having to handle a situation while sorely understaffed is one of the few details they got right.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #46
philw1776

Well at least it was good to see "Ann of Green Gables" again
Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #47
sieglinde

I like the show because I like the characters. I can watch better police proceedurals.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #48
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
Call who for backup? Every single one of his deputies was there by the time he did that, including "The Ferg." I think the only employee of Longmire's that didn't show up was his secretary.
One of the deputies did suggest calling the Res (reservation) for backup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #49
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
One of the deputies did suggest calling the Res (reservation) for backup.
Which as I mentioned earlier would be problematic as Tribal Police do not have jurisdiction over non-Indians, and do not possess police powers outside of "The Rez."
Old 06-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #50
Flop

Quote:
Which as I mentioned earlier would be problematic as Tribal Police do not have jurisdiction over non-Indians, and do not possess police powers outside of "The Rez."
I don't know the rules in Wyoming, but many jurisdictions allow the Sheriff to temporarily deputize people if needed.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #51
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
I don't know the rules in Wyoming, but many jurisdictions allow the Sheriff to temporarily deputize people if needed.
It probably is still possible in Wyoming (it is in California) but Longmire even said that having "too many guns" may make the situation worse. Plus, given what we saw in the pilot episode and his relationship with the Tribal Officers, it was probably better to keep them out of it.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #52
Bob Coxner

I'm still enjoying it. I've had the thought that Robert Taylor could easily be the lead on Justified, just as Tim Olyphant could be the lead on Longmire. Taylor alone is enough to keep me in it. I didn't know until recently that he was Australian. I guess that shows how good an actor he is.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #53
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I didn't know until recently that he was Australian.
Apparently, you have to be Australian to be a Matrix Agent.

It's in the Constitution.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #54
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
It probably is still possible in Wyoming (it is in California) but Longmire even said that having "too many guns" may make the situation worse. Plus, given what we saw in the pilot episode and his relationship with the Tribal Officers, it was probably better to keep them out of it.
I should probably drop out of the thread since I dropped the SP but since I commented on the episode...

I'm not sure how he could have made the situation worse by waiting for professionals.

The problem I have is that Longmire seems like a crappy sheriff. He wrecked his vehicle due to distracted driving, he left his coat and badge at a strip club, and his actions directly resulted in the death of the guy in the basement in the last episode. Even letting his buddy hang out in the car he was processing for evidence was comical. He stated that he wanted to do it himself to make sure it was done right... then immediately let his buddy hop in the car and contaminate the scene.

If I lived in that county my vote would be for Branch!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #55
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
...his actions directly resulted in the death of the guy in the basement in the last episode.
Well, no, his actions indirectly resulted in his death. The guy in the basement yelling upstairs to the guy who wanted to kill him resulted directly in his death.

But your larger point remains valid.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #56
philw1776

Quote:
I should probably drop out of the thread since I dropped the SP but since I commented on the episode...

The problem I have is that Longmire seems like a crappy sheriff. He wrecked his vehicle due to distracted driving, he left his coat and badge at a strip club, and his actions directly resulted in the death of the guy in the basement in the last episode. Even letting his buddy hang out in the car he was processing for evidence was comical. He stated that he wanted to do it himself to make sure it was done right... then immediately let his buddy hop in the car and contaminate the scene.

If I lived in that county my vote would be for Branch!
You're making me feel like an idiot for still watching this show

Well, my wife likes it and we need something to watch
Old 06-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #57
DouglasPHill

Its good enough for summer watching.
DouglasPHill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #58
RonDawg

Quote:
The problem I have is that Longmire seems like a crappy sheriff.
I'd like to believe that it's more to do the sloppy technical work on the part of the producers and directors

He has his faults, but deep down he's still a good guy, and I think that's the major point to the story. If Sheriff Longmire were perfect AND likeable....it would be boring to watch.

Branch may make a good sheriff....eventually. But as demonstrated in the pilot episode, he's too inexperienced for that job, and still has quite a bit to learn about police work in general, much less the head honcho's job.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #59
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I watched episodes 2 & 3 of this show today. I'm really not feeling it and I think I might give up.

Super spoiler from episode 3

Spoiler:
Anyone else immediately assume the death was faked when they showed his picture and it was C Thomas Howell? Not that he's even a B list celebrity, but they aren't going to get him just for a picture. You had to know that he was going to show up sooner or later as still alive.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #60
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I watched episodes 2 & 3 of this show today. I'm really not feeling it and I think I might give up.

Super spoiler from episode 3

Spoiler:
Anyone else immediately assume the death was faked when they showed his picture and it was C Thomas Howell? Not that he's even a B list celebrity, but they aren't going to get him just for a picture. You had to know that he was going to show up sooner or later as still alive.
Spoiler:
When he showed up in flashbacks, I wondered if that was it...it would be a very cheap way to get a known face for a minor role; he wouldn't even have to be flown to wherever they film. So at that point, I wasn't necessarily expecting to see him "live."