TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #91
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas
Posts: 88,734
Oh, Lane....

So sad. I liked the character. One of the more decent people at SCDP. (Ken and his hair is the most decent guy, I think)
__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #92
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User
 
tivoboyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I think most partnership shares are willable so Lane's wife would receive it as part of his estate.

Usually their is a buy out clause as kaszeta said so most likely she would be bought out by the company - or at least the company would have first rights to buy it back.
That's the way I understand it, too. The company would have the right to buy back the shares and the spouse would get cash assuming that's what happened.

Speaking of partnership stuff, in the prior episode, I couldn't get past the partners so willingly giving Joan 5%. I know part of the issue was that they didn't want to raise the cash, but giving her 5% dilutes their shares. The Jaguar account didn't seem worth doing that for, especially when Don was so sure he could get the business anyway. But on the other hand, it made for a more entertaining show.

But of course now they will likely get Lane's shares back, assuming they can come up with the cash to buy them. Or, if Joan decides to keep up what she did last week, she can pick up a some more shares.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #93
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
... it was so sweet to see Betty and Sally have a real moment...Betty even called Sally "beautiful" which - gosh, how long has it been since that happened?
Um.....never?

This whole ep was ruined for me by one of the news apps Monday that headlined "Lane goes out with a bang...." then, first paragraph saying "Don't read any further if you haven't seen the episode yet..." Really?! REALLY?!?!?

Talk about jerks....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #94
cmontyburns
Excellent.
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 10,227
Yes, it was very difficult to avoid spoilers about this one. I get the episodes on iTunes and they are not available until after midnight usually, so I never get to watch until Monday night. Most of the stories about the show on Monday were headlined something like "...last night's shocking Mad Men" or "...heartbreaking Mad Men", so it was obvious something big had happened. And those stories were typically accompanied by another one summarizing the conference call Jared Harris did with the press ("Jared Harris on Last Night's Shocking Mad Men"), so it was not hard to guess what happened. There was no way to avoid having it spoiled without staying off the internet entirely for 24 hours.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #95
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southwestern Virginia
Posts: 21,166
I watched it a day late, at least, and saw no spoilers.
__________________
If you read my post and think "AYFKM? She's got to be joking." Then yes. I'm joking.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #96
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Yes, it was very difficult to avoid spoilers about this one. I get the episodes on iTunes and they are not available until after midnight usually, so I never get to watch until Monday night. Most of the stories about the show on Monday were headlined something like "...last night's shocking Mad Men" or "...heartbreaking Mad Men", so it was obvious something big had happened. And those stories were typically accompanied by another one summarizing the conference call Jared Harris did with the press ("Jared Harris on Last Night's Shocking Mad Men"), so it was not hard to guess what happened. There was no way to avoid having it spoiled without staying off the internet entirely for 24 hours.
I dunno. I watched it last night and it was a surprise to me. I'm on the internet all day long. I just haven't read any entertainment news. I was too busy the last couple of days.

That being said, my first thought was "how ironic that Don is dismissing Lane for forging his signature when Don's entire persona is a forgery". And having said that, I felt really really bad for him when it was obvious by his facial expression that he realized he had pushed Lane to this. Obviously it's not his fault, he couldn't have known but the guilt all over his face, especially after the resignation letter, made me feel for him. After his brother committing suicide, this might just push Don over the edge and we go back to the old Don next season. I wouldn't be shocked if the season finale ended with him cheating on Megan.
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #97
MikeMar
Go Pats
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston Suburb, MA
Posts: 38,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I watched it a day late, at least, and saw no spoilers.
Same here, it's easy, just don't read the Slate articles on it

I almost never get spoiled on shows, doesn't seem that hard. Only time it happens is in person, almost never online
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #98
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 25,741
Spoilers don't bother me. I guess I'm abnormal.
__________________

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #99
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post

This whole ep was ruined for me by one of the news apps Monday that headlined "Lane goes out with a bang...." then, first paragraph saying "Don't read any further if you haven't seen the episode yet..." Really?! REALLY?!?!?

Talk about jerks....
Same here. I came across two headlines that gave away that Lane died.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #100
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,679
Really great episode. Maybe I'm in the minority but I have found this to be a stellar season and one full of a lot of fun/interesting social commentary. Was I the only one surprised that it was Cooper, of all people, who actually noticed the check? Will Joan be able to take care of the books? I can't remember whose job that was before Lane came into the picture...

Count me in the minority who was actually glad for those dish network nags. If not for those I would have had no idea that Dish randomly reassigned the channel and thus I needed to set up a new season pass on this random new channel. I would certainly have missed Mad Men next week without that nag. I also am curious how Dish can think their line about AMC having low ratings, thus explaining the move of channel and cut-off of the network entirely, is their best excuse.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #101
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Same here. I came across two headlines that gave away that Lane died.
Yeah, I backtracked and found it was an article on the USA iPhone app, but it was on their front page as well as the entertainment (or "Life" section as they call it). VERY irritating. The headline said "For 'Mad Men' and Harris, a shocking exit" and the first sentence, visible again on their home page, BEFORE it mentioned spoilers, said "The actor says he's happy his character gets to leave the show 'with a bang instead of....'"
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #102
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
... I also am curious how Dish can think their line about AMC having low ratings, thus explaining the move of channel and cut-off of the network entirely, is their best excuse.
It may not be their best excuse, but it's true -- this season's Mad Men ratings have sucked...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #103
WhiskeyTango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,777
I had seen that something bad happened but didn't know what going into the episode. I kept hoping it would be Betty taking a header into a tree on the ski slopes. Based on the lack of screen time she's had this season, maybe the writers are as tired of her as I am.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #104
lpamelaa
Registered User
 
lpamelaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angles, CA
Posts: 247
Style recap and analysis:

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2012/06...-and-fees.html
__________________
"If I wanted your opinion, I'd stick you in a focus group in Southern Missouri."
-Josh Lyman on The West Wing
lpamelaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #105
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southwestern Virginia
Posts: 21,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Yeah, I backtracked and found it was an article on the USA iPhone app, but it was on their front page as well as the entertainment (or "Life" section as they call it). VERY irritating. The headline said "For 'Mad Men' and Harris, a shocking exit" and the first sentence, visible again on their home page, BEFORE it mentioned spoilers, said "The actor says he's happy his character gets to leave the show 'with a bang instead of....'"
Reading USA Today would be problem numero uno.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #106
WhiskeyTango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
It may not be their best excuse, but it's true -- this season's Mad Men ratings have sucked...
They've had their highest ratings this year.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #107
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know
 
Mr. Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
I had seen that something bad happened but didn't know what going into the episode. I kept hoping it would be Betty taking a header into a tree on the ski slopes. Based on the lack of screen time she's had this season, maybe the writers are as tired of her as I am.
Betty is a childish spiteful bitch, but I actually like having her around. Sally is turning into a Betty Mini-me, which should also provide nice future tensions, but it was touching that when Sally had her first visitor, she ran home to her mother, with a nice hug that seemed to surprise Betty.
__________________
"Your attitude sucks, Soze." ThomasDrew
"WHAT KIND OF MONSTER ARE YOU?!?" Rob Helmerichs
Mr. Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #108
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know
 
Mr. Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Peggy made it pretty clear she felt the pact was childish and stupid and then she left without him. I think the pact went up in flames is no more.
I think Peggy was just really pissed at the time, (IIRC Don had just thrown the money at her) and that the pact will indeed come up again.
__________________
"Your attitude sucks, Soze." ThomasDrew
"WHAT KIND OF MONSTER ARE YOU?!?" Rob Helmerichs
Mr. Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #109
betts4
I am Spartacus!
 
betts4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: A Galaxy far, far away....
Posts: 27,299
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Spoilers don't bother me. I guess I'm abnormal.
Spoilers don't scare me. I usually forget what they were and most of the time they don't go into the detail of the acting and events leading up to or after the spoiler.
__________________
I agree with Betts. angbear1985
"You bettsed your claim" Bryhamm



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #110
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
They've had their highest ratings this year.
Also, isn't the Walking Dead pretty highly rated? I assume other shows as well. Certainly AMC has to have higher ratings than most the 300+ channels that weren't bumped arbitrarily to a higher channel #.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #111
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southwestern Virginia
Posts: 21,166
I agree we haven't heard the end of the pact. They've brought it up too many times this season for it to just fizzle.
__________________
If you read my post and think "AYFKM? She's got to be joking." Then yes. I'm joking.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #112
WhiskeyTango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Also, isn't the Walking Dead pretty highly rated? I assume other shows as well. Certainly AMC has to have higher ratings than most the 300+ channels that weren't bumped arbitrarily to a higher channel #.
The Walking Dead gets higher ratings than most network shows.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #113
Zevida
witless and unarmed
 
Zevida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 13,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
I think Peggy was just really pissed at the time, (IIRC Don had just thrown the money at her) and that the pact will indeed come up again.
The pact was that if one leaves, they both leave. Peggy left without a glance back or a consideration to Ken. And Ken is angling for his future at the company, promising not to get in the way of Dow and getting a guarantee he'll be on the account.

The pact is over! It might get briefly mentioned if we have a Peggy/Ken scene and he gives her a dig, but there's no more pact.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #114
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know
 
Mr. Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
The pact was that if one leaves, they both leave. Peggy left without a glance back or a consideration to Ken. And Ken is angling for his future at the company, promising not to get in the way of Dow and getting a guarantee he'll be on the account.

The pact is over! It might get briefly mentioned if we have a Peggy/Ken scene and he gives her a dig, but there's no more pact.
The usual, Randolph? (It helps if you have seen "Trading Places" )
__________________
"Your attitude sucks, Soze." ThomasDrew
"WHAT KIND OF MONSTER ARE YOU?!?" Rob Helmerichs
Mr. Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #115
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
I avoid spoilers like the plague, but was anyone really surprised Lane committed suicide? It has been telegraphed all season and I was completely expecting it either this episode or next.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #116
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
They've had their highest ratings this year.
Negative from what I read last week....they said it's the lowest they've been since S3, at least for "Christmas Waltz"...
Wiki info...

Last edited by Bierboy : 06-06-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #117
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony
 
Marco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Capital of the Free World
Posts: 20,418
How Pete gets his name on the door:

The check is out there. The partners will all come to know that Lane paid himself $7500 without permission. It's totally in character for Pete to want to chase down the widow Pryce and get that money back!

The other partners, starting with Don, will accede to Pete's demand to be a name partner in exchange for Pete giving up his demand to go after Mrs. Pryce for the $7500.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #118
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Negative from what I read last week....they said it's the lowest they've been since S3, at least for "Christmas Waltz"...
Wiki info...
I see the opposite based on TV by the numbers. The numbers seem as good or better than prior seasons. This season marks the first time they hit 1.0 for adults 18-49 and they did it for many episodes in a row. The ratings have fallen a bit over the past few weeks but still are in the same range as the ~10 episodes I checked from last season.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #119
WhiskeyTango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Negative from what I read last week....they said it's the lowest they've been since S3, at least for "Christmas Waltz"...
Wiki info...
It was down for 2 weeks (0.6 which is also hit twice in the 4th season) but bounced back up to a 0.8 this past week which equaled the finale from last year. Overall the numbers have been higher.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #120
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User
 
tivoboyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
How Pete gets his name on the door:

The check is out there. The partners will all come to know that Lane paid himself $7500 without permission. It's totally in character for Pete to want to chase down the widow Pryce and get that money back!

The other partners, starting with Don, will accede to Pete's demand to be a name partner in exchange for Pete giving up his demand to go after Mrs. Pryce for the $7500.
Or, Pete will convince Joan to have sexual relations with Mrs. Pryce to get the money back. He becomes a named partner, Joan gets another 5% of the firm, and Mrs. Pryce gets to "roam those hillsides." It's win-win-win.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |