TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #61
mwhip
All better

Anyone know how partnerships like that work? Will Lane's wife get percentage for a while or maybe even longer? Does the percentage change or is there a buy out?

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #62
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip
Anyone know how partnerships like that work? Will Lane's wife get percentage for a while or maybe even longer? Does the percentage change or is there a buy out?
It's rather common, at least these days, for the company to carry life insurance sufficient to buy out a partner's stake in case they die, just to avoid situations like this.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #63
Satchel

All Lane had to do was ask Don or the other partners..."Hey guys, I'm getting screwed in England with taxes and I need help. You guys all cashed out when we started this business and I did not."

His argument to Don after the fact would have made a decent request for help.

I'm betting they'd have at least loaned him the money.
Satchel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #64
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

They would have, no doubt. He was to proud to ask.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #65
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
I agree with you and what you say applies equally to Don as well, how would the firms clients/staff react if they found out that Don assumed another's identity? Lane's explanation actually makes more sense than Don's.
And yet Don's creative skills are much more irreplaceable, and his presence is bound up with the firm's brand. It very much served the other partners' interests to keep Don. Not so for Lane.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #66
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
They would have, no doubt. He was too proud British to ask.
Fixed that for ya.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #67
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Of course they would have, Don's covering the check himself just to protect Lane from embarrassment. Or at least that was his plan, who knows if Don will let the others know the reason for Lane's departure (from the firm and the world).
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #68
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
And yet Don's creative skills are much more irreplaceable, and his presence is bound up with the firm's brand. It very much served the other partners' interests to keep Don. Not so for Lane.
Point taken.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #69
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I'm surprised Cooper hasn't put two and two together.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #70
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
I disagree. I don't think anyone in the office knows about Joan. Ken knows because he was involved - he was there was the Jaguar guy made the proposition. But I don't think he would have gossiped about it. His line was more general about what he's seen the partners have to do up to and including that.

I did like that he made sure Pete wouldn't sniff the Dow account!
Ken was disgusted that Pete even told Joan what the Jag guy had requested. Glad he insisted Pete be left out of any Dow deal!
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #71
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I'm surprised Cooper hasn't put two and two together.
Pretty sure he figured it out after finding Lane dead, it's also why he just went to Don only to confront him about the check instead of taking it to someone else and asking their thoughts about it.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #72
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Fixed that for ya.
Yes, quite.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #73
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Ken was disgusted that Pete even told Joan what the Jag guy had requested. Glad he insisted Pete be left out of any Dow deal!
I think Ken hated Pete plenty even before that.

Oh, and I'd almost forgotten about Roger, and "When a man hates another man very very much ...". He was more than happy to cut Pete out of Dow.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #74
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post
The trouble with SCDP was the embezzlement, but the taxes are what lead to that.

Sally could have taken a cab to school on Monday instead of being left alone.
Yes, that's what I meant.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #75
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
Pretty sure he figured it out after finding Lane dead, it's also why he just went to Don only to confront him about the check instead of taking it to someone else and asking their thoughts about it.
I think he went to Don first because Don's signature was on the check. He was asking Don what was going on, referencing the check that he had supposedly signed.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #76
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
I think he went to Don first because Don's signature was on the check. He was asking Don what was going on, referencing the check that he had supposedly signed.
I also think a point to be made was that Don could easily take ownership of the check the way Bert accused him of doing (when in reality he hadn't) and just had Cooper snark at him for being "good cop" and not clearing it with the other partners.

Bert had already accused Don of doing this, so that could have been the end and Don gets the slap on the wrist from Bert.

I do think Bert will put 2 and 2 together with the check and Lane, but I'm not sure they'll take it anywhere. They have been very good about having Bert appear the doddering old fool, but actually being very on the ball.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #77
mm2margaret
Meagan

Quote:
I think Ken hated Pete plenty even before that.

Oh, and I'd almost forgotten about Roger, and "When a man hates another man very very much ...". He was more than happy to cut Pete out of Dow.

Who doesn't hate Pete??
Old 06-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #78
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I have a discussion topic!

If Don stays faithful in the final episode of the season, that will mark the first season that Don has not strayed from his primary relationship.

Seasons 1-3: Cheated on Betty with everyone.
Season 4: Established a relationship with the researcher lady, cheated on her with two secretaries.
Season 5: Married to Megan, so far faithful.

Does it ring true that Don would stay faithful to Megan? What's changed about his character? Does their marriage satisfy him?

I do not think he is satisfied with their marriage - he was embarassed by the birthday dance, disappointed that she left SCDP, annoyed that she puts her acting "career" on equal level with his career, and shows no respect or consideration for her as a partner. So why have they written him as the faithful husband when it is so against his character to be so? What's different about Megan or this season?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #79
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post
Who doesn't hate Pete??
I don't hate Pete!

I mean, I do, but I don't. He's a terrible person. But he's fascinating to watch. I love him on this show. I would not want to know him in real life!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Old 06-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #80
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
What I think is different about Megan, and Don to some degree, is that they are not communicating to each other. They get upset when the other springs 'surprises'. Megan and her trip to Boston. I mean, why wasn't that mentioned before? "hey honey, you know some shows will rehearse in boston or chicago or ontario until they come back to New York.". Or even "hey honey, how would you feel about me going to boston? It would just be a few weeks and I can come home and visit or you can come up there." And other stuff. Don not calling her about him being late. Well, did he used to call Betty? or just come home late? And maybe he liked having her in the office because then he didn't need to call her so much. She was there and saw how bad a day or how busy a day he was having.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #81
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
What about the pact Ken had with Peggy?

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #82
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I don't think we've heard the last of that.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #83
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
I have a discussion topic!

If Don stays faithful in the final episode of the season, that will mark the first season that Don has not strayed from his primary relationship.

Seasons 1-3: Cheated on Betty with everyone.
Season 4: Established a relationship with the researcher lady, cheated on her with two secretaries.
Season 5: Married to Megan, so far faithful.

Does it ring true that Don would stay faithful to Megan? What's changed about his character? Does their marriage satisfy him?

I do not think he is satisfied with their marriage - he was embarassed by the birthday dance, disappointed that she left SCDP, annoyed that she puts her acting "career" on equal level with his career, and shows no respect or consideration for her as a partner. So why have they written him as the faithful husband when it is so against his character to be so? What's different about Megan or this season?
It's hard to say what the writers will do but Megan is the most emotionally healthy relationship he has had that I can see. She gets right to the meat of all their conflicts immediately and I believe he is learning from it. As far I can see she is not manipulating him or playing games.

The Boston thing was not an immediate thing that was known when she changed careers. She was initially auditioning and that meant it could be all sorts of jobs and situations. Had it been an existing play there might not be a Boston. However at a certain point she auditioned for a new play and they told her it would be tech'd in Boston and she told Don pretty quickly about it.
Yes its true she did not say Hey Don I want to change careers and do Broadway and you its possible one of the jobs someday might have to go out of NYC to flush out the job.

I think Don is learning emotionally and I think he appreciates Megan keeping it real versus Betty who still likes to play games. Megan catches on to that pretty quickly and highlights it.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #84
tiams

I think the difference between Megan and Betty is that Megan knows the real Don. Betty knew the facade. Don was playing a role with Betty, therefore he was unhappy, therefore he cheated on her with women he could be himself with.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #85
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think we've heard the last of that.
I agree, they've been good about keeping that in the fore front this year, we will see that revisited IMO. Ken has also been awesome this year, loved his actions in this episode.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #86
Wheens

Quote:
What pact? I suffer from early stage CRS, so I probably have forgotten.
Wheens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #87
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheens View Post
What pact? I suffer from early stage CRS, so I probably have forgotten.
If one leaves they take the other with him/her.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #88
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Peggy made it pretty clear she felt the pact was childish and stupid and then she left without him. I think the pact went up in flames is no more.

- billypritchard
Old 06-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #89
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Just a point I'd like to make...I like how Megan never badmouths Betty-like when Sally calls her a fake, she says "You know that's not true..."

Betty, on the other hand-badmouths Megan every chance she gets....

Anyway-I totally agree that it was so sweet to see Betty and Sally have a real moment...Betty even called Sally "beautiful" which - gosh, how long has it been since that happened?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #90
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
It's rather common, at least these days, for the company to carry life insurance sufficient to buy out a partner's stake in case they die, just to avoid situations like this.
I think most partnership shares are willable so Lane's wife would receive it as part of his estate.

Usually their is a buy out clause as kaszeta said so most likely she would be bought out by the company - or at least the company would have first rights to buy it back.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote