Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Mad Men - "Commissions and Fees" - 06/03/12

I do believe I called that one.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
ElJay

That was depressing... I really liked that character.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Can't imagine firing someone then that happens. The guilt must be mind-blowing.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
There were a lot of packed into the episode tonight. Wow. Not just Lane, but also Sally and the Firestone pitch. After all of that, I liked Don letting Glen drive the car. Nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
redrouteone
This Space for Lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Can't imagine firing someone then that happens. The guilt must be mind-blowing.
No joke. In the grand scheme of things Don was letting him off with a slap on the rist. Steal $7500, then get to resign with no one knowing what you did. Inflation adjusted that would be nearly $50K now.

I did think it was interesting he first tried in the Jag, but it wouldn't start.

Don is right. That moment in his office was the hardest part about starting over. Pryce was a good, smart guy who did something stupid in a moment of desperation. He could have rebuilt, heck no reason to even go back to the UK. At that time there would plenty of places he could have moved to as a British citizen. I wonder what Don will do when his number finally comes up. I don't think he'll kill him self, but I could see him skipping town with all of the money.
redrouteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
avery

When they broke into Lane's office, the panicked horror on Don's face was palpable. I kept thinking about his rejection of Adam, the guilt over his suicide and now Lane's, in the same manner... and I think that's what Don was reacting to as well.
avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
There were a lot of packed into the episode tonight. Wow. Not just Lane, but also Sally and the Firestone pitch. After all of that, I liked Don letting Glen drive the car. Nice.
I thought he was a Dow. Firestone doesn't make napalm.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #8
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
The pitch was to Dow Chemicals.

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
Idearat

Since Lane had been hiding the money troubles from his wife, she had no idea that the check she wrote for the Jag was going to bounce. If Lane was teetering before, that pushed him over the edge. As soon as he tried to start the Jag with the ignition key, choke and starter button I was just sure it wouldn't start, at least not the first time. Trying to fix it, looking under the hood with his just-broken eyeglasses, I felt even more sad for him.

It was a pretty full episode, but I'd wished we saw or heard something of Peggy.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
Since Lane had been hiding the money troubles from his wife, she had no idea that the check she wrote for the Jag was going to bounce. If Lane was teetering before, that pushed him over the edge. As soon as he tried to start the Jag with the ignition key, choke and starter button I was just sure it wouldn't start, at least not the first time. Trying to fix it, looking under the hood with his just-broken eyeglasses, I felt even more sad for him.
And he actually spent several hours balancing the books and putting them in order before he killed himself.

Just goes to prove the old adage about death and taxes. He was literally taxed to death.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #11
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
That was just heartbreaking.

It was sweet to see Sally need her mommy. Betty being understanding and kind and them having a "moment" was just very nice and in such stark contrast to everything else that was going on.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #12
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Poor Henry gets :30 of screen time and it's in that sweater.

This episode was pretty incredible, with wonderful acting all around. I was particularly impressed with Hendricks as she processed what was happening from Lane's door to the guys looking over and confirming. That happened over several cuts, that's not an easy job to remember where you were emotionally from one cut to the next and keep the progression going.
Bryanmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I thought he was a Dow. Firestone doesn't make napalm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfs View Post
The pitch was to Dow Chemicals.
Oops. I just kept hearing Firestone, I thought it was them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
vman41
Omega Consumer

Did SCDP have life insurance against Lane's death? I think Pete Campbell said the policy on him covered suicide after 2 years. Of course, Lane made a point of resigning first.

The failure with the Jaguar was a good callback to Cooper's "They're lemons, they never start." line. Lane offing himself in the Jag seems like attempt to make a statement.

Glen may be creepy and weird, but he's not a pedophile.
vman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
zalusky

The scene where they were waiting on the meeting with Dow and Roger wanted to discuss Don's play and Don said he wanted to go in fresh is an inside joke so to speak. On the actors studio they said they do not rehearse their scenes they do them on the first take because they wanted to be fresh.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
cheesesteak
Meh.

I know Lane owed Britain's version of the IRS $7,500 but how much trouble was he really in? It's not like they were going to throw him in jail if he had paid the debt and whatever penalty off late.

It was pretty crappy of Lane to kill himself in the office. Assuming he had life insurance, he should have driven into a wall or off a cliff. Anything but obvious suicide. Now his wife gets nothing.

I was surprised neither Don nor Megan thought about hiring a cab to take Sally back to school. It's not like Don couldn't afford it.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
DrEvil
Evil Member

I loved the line that Ken said to Roger when Roger offered a partnership in exchange for Ken helping get his father in law at Dow to switch to SCDP.

Something along the line of - I've seen what it takes to make partner, and I don't want sink that low.

So it appears to me that what Joan did to get her partnership is now known among the employees of SCDP.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
Did SCDP have life insurance against Lane's death? I think Pete Campbell said the policy on him covered suicide after 2 years. Of course, Lane made a point of resigning first.........
Hmmm, interesting.... I wonder if that nullifies the payout to the firm since technically he wasn't employed there when he died......?

I got a kick out of the Jaguar not starting. How typical. My mother owned one and you didn't even dare drive it through a large puddle for fear of it conking out on you.

Enjoyed hearing the old school terminology Betty used, "Sally became a woman today." Kind of heartwarming to see Sally show up not at Megan's, but instead back at her own home seeking out Betty. I'm glad to see Sally and Betty's bond isn't too far gone. I'm sure Betty was, too.

I repeat: I wish I had 1/10th of Roger Sterling's suaveness.

My interpretation of Don's new big-account-seeking attitude: "If this is going to be the kind of crap I have to put up with (Joan whoring herself, Lane's suicide), it better damn well be worth it." Pedal to the metal from here on out, and it better well be a Chevrolet gas pedal. I think this anger energizes Don and wakes him from the creative coma he's been in this season. Of course, this sets up next season's stories.

Strange how Lane's death didn't really hit me until I saw the Mets' pennant in his office - how he tried hard to become something other than what he was, but in the end, he died unable to escape who he had been raised to be - an introverted, rule-following man, subordinant to more dominant males and whose conservative, proper British upbringing closed off much of life to him. Has anyone ever been able to successfully escape who they are?

Watching Lane's wife innocently gift the car to Lane was painful to watch, too. She believed so much in Lane.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
Watching Lane's wife innocently gift the car to Lane was painful to watch, too. She believed so much in Lane.
I couldn't believe she would be so naive as to write a $6000 check without bothering to see if there was enough money in the checking account.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I couldn't believe she would be so naive as to write a $6000 check without bothering to see if there was enough money in the checking account.
I may have only been a $5000 check, she said she got a good deal. When don wrote the $6000 check it was more than the price of the car.
vman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
So it appears to me that what Joan did to get her partnership is now known among the employees of SCDP.
I disagree. I don't think anyone in the office knows about Joan. Ken knows because he was involved - he was there was the Jaguar guy made the proposition. But I don't think he would have gossiped about it. His line was more general about what he's seen the partners have to do up to and including that.

I did like that he made sure Pete wouldn't sniff the Dow account!

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #22
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Different era, where many women weren't involved in the money side of things except spending it!
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #23
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
I also liked when Don said something along the lines of "would you like me to leave the room so y'all can go ahead and vote against me?"
Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #24
DeDondeEs

That was a crazy episode. That was an interesting scene where they were all in Pete's office looking into Lane's office and Ken and Pete got up on the couch and looked quickly and looked away, but Harry just stood on the couch looking appearing to be not as affected as everyone else.

It should be interesting next week to see if anyone finds out or Don admits that he wanted Harry to resign. Can't believe it is going to be the season finale. Seemed way too short of a season.
DeDondeEs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #25
cheesesteak
Meh.

Does Joan's name become part of the firm's title now?

How old is Sally supposed to be?

Glen is still creepy but peeing in his locker is just wrong.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
JETarpon

I'd say no on the name. There's a difference between equity partner and named partner.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #27
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

I'm predicting Sterling Cooper Draper Campbell to open next season.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #28
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
How old is Sally supposed to be?
11-12

As soon as she said she really didn't feel well, I knew what was up.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #29
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Can't believe it is going to be the season finale. Seemed way too short of a season.
I think I missed that next week is the finale. It was way to short a season.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #30
DeDondeEs

Also, not really related to the episode, but I thought those ads AMC was running due to the conflict they are having with Dish were lame.

I am also annoyed by the way that announcer they have says "AMC's Mad Men." It sounds like he has really bad nasal congestion.
DeDondeEs is online now   Reply With Quote