TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #181
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
What I want to know is why the White Walkers allow some to live. Like the pilot. That kid watches the WW behead his brother and tossed his head right over to him. Why was he not next? If this is something we never know I'll be upset. That's the only reason why I think poor Sam might not be toast.
They always leave the most afraid one to go and tell stories about how frightening they are. They are masters of marketing.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #182
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
They always leave the most afraid one to go and tell stories about how frightening they are. They are masters of marketing.
Ha!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #183
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
I thought just the opposite. I never liked Renley (book reader) but it seemed like lots of people here were rooting for him.
Well, to put it a different way, I saw Renly as a very minor character, but the impression I get is that he wasn't so minor in the books.

Quote:
OMG, thank you. I am notoriously bad at recognizing people. I'm always thinking 1 person is someone else, or 2 or 3 different people are the same person. That and forgetting what names go with who and what their stories are. This show introduced a lot of different characters, which really exploited my weakness with names/faces, but especially with those 3 characters. Glad I wasn't the only one.
I was exaggerating a little when I said I didn't know the difference between them until episode 5, but only a little. And really, if Jon and Robb weren't in different places, I'd still be getting them mixed up.

It always annoys me when characters look similar who aren't related and don't have to look alike. Seems like a flaw in casting to me - it adds confusion that doesn't need to exist. That's not limited to GOT, just a general complaint about movies and shows. I've had several "Oh, that's a different guy!?!" moments myself.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #184
allan
I survived the Mayan

Put me down as another one who thinks they all look alike. If someone mentions a name, I'm okay. Otherwise, half the time I'm asking "which one is this?".

As for Renly, I was rooting for him because I thought he was the best of a bad lot (even though Stannis, as the elder, had a better claim), and that + the element of surprise jarred me when he met his smoky end. But I was nowhere near as invested as I was in Ned Stark, and the shock, while present, wasn't even close to that one.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #185
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93
I doubt if anyone will do much with Winterfell since it's burned down. And where the heck is Robb's army? Cat was giving Renley a hard time for not getting out there and fighting, but if Robb's been fighting.
I meant King's Landing. We know The Hand has to stay in King's Landing, because Ned did. Tywin can't lead his army if he's in KL.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #186
LordKronos

Quote:
Yeah, I think there was tons of stuff this season on par with last season. Renly's death was just awesome. The whole battle of episode 9 was amazing (especialy the wildfire). The finale ending was great. I thought the introduction of Stannis was handled nicely. Tyrions role this season was better than last. We saw Joffrey not just get a slap, but a cowpie. Seeing Harrenhall was just impressive. And I loved the interactions between Tywin and Arya.
Oh, and how could I forget the killing of the bastards. That was a huge OMG moment, at least to me.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #187
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Put me down as another one who thinks they all look alike. If someone mentions a name, I'm okay. Otherwise, half the time I'm asking "which one is this?".
You still think this when you see them?
Maybe it's because I'm a girl but I can now tell them apart easily. Theon is ugly. Robb is not. Jon Snow is the prettiest of them all.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #188
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
You still think this when you see them?
Maybe it's because I'm a girl but I can now tell them apart easily. Theon is ugly. Robb is not. Jon Snow is the prettiest of them all.
I know you didn't ask me, but since I'm one of those who could not tell them apart at all at the beginning, I'll answer: I don't get them mixed up anymore. And it's not because of the location. When Robb and Theon were together, I could tell them apart.

I started telling Robb and Theon apart after Theon's big scene with Ros (not when she was leaving, but before, when they were doing it). It took me a lot longer to tell Robb and Jon apart.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #189
hapdrastic
Swarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I'd love to see this research, since I read all 5 books and it's still clear as mud to me. What about
Spoiler:
coldhands--the guy with Bran? What is he?
I'm not sure, but...
Spoiler:
I think it's Jon's uncle (Ned's brother, Benjen Stark) - the ranger who disappeared beyond the wall early in the series. I think he got somewhat infected by the wights but hasn't fully succumbed, or something.

Again, just a theory.
hapdrastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #190
robojerk

There's a thread for book reader's, this stuff probably belongs in there.......
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=486826
Old 06-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #191
marksman
ID-10-T

Clarification from those who read the books are they white walkers or wight walkers? I assumed the later since the beginning but have no idea.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #192
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Clarification from those who read the books are they white walkers or wight walkers? I assumed the later since the beginning but have no idea.
In the books they're called, "The Others." Wights are called wights.

Tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #193
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
In the books they're called, "The Others."
They are called "white walkers" or "the Others" in the books. The terms mean the same thing (and different than "wights").
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #194
frankmint

Add me to the list of non-book readers that was very clear that there were two types of threats in the north....

I was disappointed to hear that the leader-like zombie things shown at the end of this season are "others" or "white walkers". I expected something less...physical or visual.
frankmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #195
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmint View Post
I was disappointed to hear that the leader-like zombie things shown at the end of this season are "others" or "white walkers". I expected something less...physical or visual.
Well, we have not seen white walkers fight and die, so it may be premature to call them "zombie things".

Last edited by john4200 : 06-06-2012 at 08:05 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #196
stellie93

When Stannis said, I killed Renley, did he mean that he actually was there in some sense, or just that he ordered it done by Davos and Red Lady?

Did Cercei just let Roz go after the battle since Tyrion got hurt? I guess the threat was just in case anything happened to Joffrey, but I would expect Cercei to kill her anyway, or at least maim her a little.

I thought Bran's little wheelbarrow was kind of odd. It won't work too well over the rough terrain they will be traveling on the way to the wall, and who's going to carry it when Hodor has to put Bran on his shoulders?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #197
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

stellie93......
speaking of, we got zip on Davos in the finale! I just realized we have no idea if he lived or died. Damnit!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #198
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
When Stannis said, I killed Renley, did he mean that he actually was there in some sense, or just that he ordered it done by Davos and Red Lady?
The latter.
Quote:
I thought Bran's little wheelbarrow was kind of odd. It won't work too well over the rough terrain they will be traveling on the way to the wall, and who's going to carry it when Hodor has to put Bran on his shoulders?
It's roads all the way, and probably fairly good roads...note that the convoy headed for the wall with Arya had carts, including the prison cart.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #199
LordKronos

I've got a question for book readers about the House of the Undying and how Dany's visit there plays out in the books:

Spoiler:

I was reading this summary:
http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Episodes...Book_to_Screen

I know from that article and from previous discussions in this forum that in the book her dragons were never taken from her, Duck Sauce never killled the other 13, etc. That link explains in great detail all the stuff that went on in the House of the Undying in the book. However, what it doesn't explain is why Dany went there in the first place. If they never took her dragons, what was her point in going there?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #200
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Spoiler:
They were the only ones she hadn't tried to give her ships. In fact she got "lost" in there and in the center instead of being locked up, they put her into some sort of trance and were draining the life from her. It was only when Drogo set fire to the heart that was beating in the room that she woke up and got out. Then the temple blew up.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #201
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
stellie93......
speaking of, we got zip on Davos in the finale! I just realized we have no idea if he lived or died. Damnit!
They wanted to give you two shows of cliff hangers for next year because this series is at least twice as good as a normal one!
Old 06-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #202
Mr. Merkin

Quote:
I just knew they were two separate entities. I thought the White Walkers were there forever and may be another species of being. Everything has pointed to this from the very first 5 minutes of the series. I guess I had it in my head they were "predator-like" beings, more like an actual monster/alien. The wights or "ghosts" or whatever they called the thing that Jon Snow battled at the wall and killed with fire, they are obviously reanimated humans.
There have been numerous occasions where it was alluded too that the white walkers were something other than the reanimated humans like the bald guy that attacked Jon Snow. Sam mentioned that they sleep under the ice for thousands of years, you could see the difference in the opening scene where first there were dead wildlings but then they came back as zombies and also when Craster put the baby boy out and it was snatched by a white walker. And the wildlings with Jon keep mentioning burning bodies like half hand so that they don't come back, they never mention them coming back AS actual white walkers nor did anyone at the wall refer to the thing Jon killed as a white walker they said wight I believe if anything. The thing that decapitated the guy in the opening scene was definitely not one of the reanimated wildlings...
Mr. Merkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #203
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
The latter.

It's roads all the way, and probably fairly good roads...note that the convoy headed for the wall with Arya had carts, including the prison cart.
I was thinking that they had to go more back ways to avoid being caught, but then I guess since no one knows they are alive, they aren't likely being hunted anymore.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #204
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

What about the men of Bravos? Was Jach the same guy as Arya's "dance instructor?" Why did he have to "die" anyway? I was thinking it was funny because Arya named him. There was little reason for him to be following or choosing to change in front of her
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #205
NoThru22
Smelly Pirate Hooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
What about the men of Bravos? Was Jach the same guy as Arya's "dance instructor?" Why did he have to "die" anyway? I was thinking it was funny because Arya named him. There was little reason for him to be following or choosing to change in front of her
Jaqen was in an order of assassins. I think the dance instructor was just a good swordman from that country.

NoThru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #206
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
There's no evidence to prove or refute this theory.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #207
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Ok, I am new to GoT. I have not read the books, and I just watched both seasons over the last two weeks. And this is my first GoT thread.

Now that I finished season 2 last night, I'd like to read the books. Am I correct in thinking that book 1 was roughly season 1 and book 2 was roughly season 2?

Count me in as someone who was sometimes confused by who various people are. I still don't know if I can post about people without looking up their names.

I really like the following characters:

Tyrion Lannister - every minute he is on screen is golden!
Arya Stark - one of my favorite characters
Lord Varys
Eddard Stark
Khal Drogo
Jaqen H'ghar

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #208
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Now that I finished season 2 last night, I'd like to read the books. Am I correct in thinking that book 1 was roughly season 1 and book 2 was roughly season 2?
Correct.

Apparently, the correlation will break down increasingly in the future, but for the first two that's more or less it. With a lot of abridgement, of course, but very cleverly done.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #209
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Correct.

Apparently, the correlation will break down increasingly in the future, but for the first two that's more or less it. With a lot of abridgement, of course, but very cleverly done.
It would seem to me that it would be a difficult read with all the strange people and location names. I am an avid reader, but just trying to read the IMDB entry for the show is something! Maybe having already heard the names and locations pronounce on TV will help!

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #210
stellie93

Yeah, I started the books after season 1 and knew a lot of the names, but then they started introducing new people. I had a friend who was listening to the books at the same time, so I would ask him how a name was pronounced, and sometimes he would ask me how it was spelled if he couldn't make out what the reader was saying. If you're just reading it really doesn't matter how you pronounce a name in your head, but I didn't want to be even more confused when the show came back and I had the names wrong. It helps if you have someone to talk about it with as you read. Or we could have a thread for that.