TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
decaffeinated

Omaha, Cox--Premier recording partial shows. Help!

I'm visiting relatives in Omaha and bought a Premier as a gift for an in-law.

Cox has not deployed SDV here, so I thought the installation would be pretty trivial. It was. We picked up an M-style cablecard from a Cox Solution store, paired it @ home (over the phone) and proceeded to record shows. Out of the ~20 shows recorded so far, 3 are partial (e.g., 27 out of 30 minutes). I'm a longtime Tivo owner (3 HD units) and I've never experienced this problem before (partial recordings).

I've googled the problem and don't see a general solution for other Tivo customers experiencing partial recordings with Premier models.

I contacted Tivo customer support and that was quite the dispiriting experience (a long script-reading session which concluded with "not our problem, contact Cox"). I called Cox and they suggested that I use a Cox DVR instead. Sweet. I nixed that idea and they will be sending out a truck in a few days. If the Cox repair rep is anything like the Tivo rep, I'll be told, "Not our problem."

I'm just a tad bummed out.

I am seeing nonzero RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors on the DVR diagnostics screen (not large values), even after I've tightened every cable connection in the house. The cable signals are quite strong, given the fact that Cox installed an amplifier (months ago) so that various other equipment would work properly (TV, Phone, Inet).

Anybody solved this problem (partial recordings) in Omaha?

Thanks in advance.

- Clark
decaffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by decaffeinated View Post
I'm visiting relatives in Omaha and bought a Premier as a gift for an in-law.

Cox has not deployed SDV here, so I thought the installation would be pretty trivial. It was. We picked up an M-style cablecard from a Cox Solution store, paired it @ home (over the phone) and proceeded to record shows. Out of the ~20 shows recorded so far, 3 are partial (e.g., 27 out of 30 minutes). I'm a longtime Tivo owner (3 HD units) and I've never experienced this problem before (partial recordings).

I've googled the problem and don't see a general solution for other Tivo customers experiencing partial recordings with Premier models.

I contacted Tivo customer support and that was quite the dispiriting experience (a long script-reading session which concluded with "not our problem, contact Cox"). I called Cox and they suggested that I use a Cox DVR instead. Sweet. I nixed that idea and they will be sending out a truck in a few days. If the Cox repair rep is anything like the Tivo rep, I'll be told, "Not our problem."

I'm just a tad bummed out.

I am seeing nonzero RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors on the DVR diagnostics screen (not large values), even after I've tightened every cable connection in the house. The cable signals are quite strong, given the fact that Cox installed an amplifier (months ago) so that various other equipment would work properly (TV, Phone, Inet).

Thanks in advance.

- Clark
could be the cable outlets bad or something else.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
decaffeinated

[quote=decaffeinated;9441009

- Clark[/QUOTE]

Following up on my original post...

Cox came out and took a look. The tech was not worried about the RS Corrected/Uncorrected counts displayed by Tivo's DVR diagnostics (he said that Cox DVRs show a _lot_ of errors every time a channel is changed).

He used test equipment to monitor a channel (TBS) that gave us 2 partial recordings and found nothing interesting. He then cut off a couple cable connectors that he didn't view as particularly robust and replaced them with new connectors. Damn...that kid had some very nice tools.

He looked at the outside cable box and discovered an analog HBO filter and cut that out of the line -- it's useless now that HBO is a digital channel. He called it a successful visit and I concur. No more partial recordings in the past 36 hours (and we've recorded a lot of shows).
decaffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote