TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #1
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Sputtering Jerky recordings on Premiere

We just bought a new TV - Vizio 60-inch E601i-A3 - a brand new LED enhanced LCD model http://store.vizio.com/via-hdtvs/e601ia3.html

Upgraded from - Mitsubishi 57-inch DLP (projection TV) WD-57732 http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/mitsubishi-wd-57732

The resolution of this new TV is SO GOOD that every single flaw in the video recording and/or production is glaringly obvious.

Since the install of this new TV - we're now noticing LOTS of video sputtering, jerkiness and sync issues on our TiVo Premiere recordings.
This is not the case with live TV. It's not constant in the recordings - sometimes it goes along smoothly - but it's frequent and random enough to be extremely disturbing.

We use the TiVo as our main tuner/cablebox (w/cablecard). It's a little tough to move the Tivo from one TV to the other to make sure the recordings sputter on each - but I've used iPad w/TiVo Stream and also see it on there. This leads me to believe it's the TiVo itself thats the problem - we just never noticed it so much before on the DLP screen - but now with the higher resolution it's obvious.

Our Premiere is not upgraded or hacked - it's the base model HDD - and runs around 80% full most of the time. We use it for almost everything we watch (to time shift shows and skip commercials) so it's used heavily.

And ideas on how to fix this sputtering???

Further testing - My next step is to simultaneously record the exact same show(s) (and cable feed) on EyeTV and TiVo and compare the recordings. To date, I've not seen any problems in EyeTV recordings however - so this would confirm the issue is absolutely not coming from the cable company.
igirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
dsnotgood

Try using component instead f HDMI and see if it fixes it. Could also be the TV station. Also try reboot box.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by igirl View Post
so this would confirm the issue is absolutely not coming from the cable company.
If it is not coming from the cable company it could be that the hard drive is going bad.